The Block – The Most Sensible Team Won

Neisha and John

Scott Cam obviously had been give no script for when Brenton and Chez’s apartment came in under reserve. As the poor couple looked shocked, Scott Cam just sat their like a stunned mullet. Very poor hosting skills.

Neisha and John won, with their apartment selling for $1,105,000 which meant they won $305,000 in prize money. $205,000 of it was from that was how much higher it sold above reserve, and then another $100,000 bonus for being the winners.

Duncan and Mark made $47,000 as their reserve was set at $860,000 and were gracious in defeat, even though they looked disappointed.

Morello the winner of The Apprentice auctioned off Chez and Brenton’s apartment. I hope  his new career at Yellow Brick Road is going more successfully then his attempt at selling real estate as it did not reach reserve. It got $865,000, which was $15,000 below reserve.

I felt for Brenton and understood why he was so upset. He worked his guts out on that apartment and to come out with not a penny. I don’t think I have ever seen Chez speechless.

Erin and Jake’s flat came in for $997,500, $87,500 over reserve, a I think a bit of bargain considering the harbour view.

It was good to see Neisha and John win with their “blank canvas” style apartment. But I hope this doesn’t mean next series we are going to see each apartment being a different shade of white.

Also next series more renovating please.

1 Heléna { 11.24.10 at 10:56 pm }

I noticed Neale walk in with that guy – can’ remember his name?? he was a model/designer who won that other 9 home renovation show (the one with the interior designers who had to renovate people’s homes)

I never really got into the show but I can’t believe how happy I was for the winners – it will be great for them :) I’ll still look forward to next year’s series but like you said – more renovating please!

2 Reality Raver { 11.24.10 at 10:57 pm }

Helena – Jason someone from HomeMade? was that who?

3 Heléna { 11.24.10 at 11:18 pm }

yep Jason – I think that was him, I’m sure I saw him walk in with Neale and then later in the auction room shot

4 Culinary Boner { 11.24.10 at 11:19 pm }

“Did anyone else think it was strange that we didn’t see the two judges John McGrath and Neale Whittaker at the auction?”

They obviously were adhering to the golden rule. Which is, “follow the money”. They clearly had better opportunities to pursue elsewhere.

5 seepi { 11.24.10 at 11:24 pm }

I think the valuations were a bit dodgy. I mean di dNeisha win becuase her apartment had a courtyard, or becuase of her oh-so-safe beige decor.

I was thinking about this – if the idea is to create a blank canvas for anyone’s taste, then surely they could still sue coloured furniture, as the next people can choose their own. I swear the only hint of colour in the entire series was one tiny navy coloured throw cushion on the bed in Neisha’s apartment.

6 Izobel2 { 11.24.10 at 11:35 pm }

Hey seepi , I hope they don’t “sue” the coloured furniture or the entire apartment will be white and beige.. Bor-ing! Glad jake and erin the cheaters didn’t win. The guys seemed like they had the most fun. next season more actual reno footage and less Freedom. Another show all over…

7 dmc { 11.25.10 at 7:23 am }

Those reserve valuations were ridiculous. No surprise that the two north facing apartments sold for much more than the back ones, and the one with the courtyard was always going to be worth significantly more. To say there should have been only 50k difference between the winning apartment and lowest was an absolute joke. I was watching with a real estate agent and he was laughing, saying that whoever set those prices was an idiot and the courtyard would fetch 50 to 100k more than the next best. Seems he was right.

8 Wurstsemmel { 11.25.10 at 9:04 am }

I think Morello was a dodgy choice as auctioneer.

9 Maryann { 11.25.10 at 11:15 am }

Neale Whittaker was at the auction. They didn’t make a big thing of it but he was definitely there.

10 brain dead dave { 11.25.10 at 3:35 pm }

Sadly RR, I ‘d fallen asleep on the couch when Scotty went into stunned mullet mode. Given the situation it seems he was the blank canvas. He’s the host that just keeps giving ….nothing.

When Scotty was created, a beetroot was shoved over a chimpanzee’s head and a permanent ingratiating smile fashioned on it. He learned to talk watching Alf on Home And Away. He was then left at the front gates of Channel 9 in a crib with the message:

” Please give this lttle bludger a good home…he lacks a personality but by jingo he can put in a patio and spa quicker than you can scratch your ar$e “

11 MelbaToast { 11.25.10 at 4:33 pm }

I’m glad John & Neisha won – it seems to be something they needed to make big life change…they could probably afford to give some cash to Chez & Brenton though!

I felt quite sad for Chez & Brenton – afterall they did work hard and deserved to receive something for all their efforts. I wonder what it was about their flat that put everyone off so much. Brenton seemed really gutted – it was a bit hard to watch, but it’s nice they were so happy for John & Neisha.

I actually don’t think that Scotty is that bad at all. He comes across as a pretty nice guy, not arrogant or rude. He’s just an Aussie bloke being an Aussie bloke (not everyone is educated to PhD level – he is tradie after all so let’s cut him some slack). He’s not a total up-themselves knob like some TV hosts or celebrties. He’s a bit of a boofhead, but atleast he’s not a pr!ck.

12 life in a pink fibro { 11.25.10 at 10:31 pm }

I’m with you on Scotty’s hosting #fail. Surely he could have come up with something. I kept waiting. And waiting. He did all right, other than that.

13 Reality Raver { 11.25.10 at 11:17 pm }

Yes what could have Scott Cam said to Chez and Brenton?
Some suggestions:
You must be gutted;
I don’t know what to say;
How disappointing for you;

14 Bstar { 11.26.10 at 9:09 am }

Please don’t complain about Scott Cam too
much or we will end up with the truly
irritating Grant Denyer hosting next year…..

15 nittywitty { 11.28.10 at 3:24 pm }

Hey! I want the 2 tradies Mark and Duncan or at least the one who lost all that weight ( not sure if he’s Mark or Duncan) to host the next series. He has a clear and pleasant speaking voice and tone. Not knocking Scott Cam but these two guys are tradies as well and they know exactly what it’s like to be a contestant !

16 Reality Raver { 11.28.10 at 4:05 pm }

Nittywitty – not a bad idea at all. He wouldn’t have been a stunned mullet at the end.

17 The Block To Be Filmed In Melbourne? Are These The Houses? | reality ravings { 04.16.11 at 11:42 am }

[...] the role. Scott was involved in one of the most uncomfortable moments on TV last year when in the final episode when he had nothing to say when Brenton and Chez’s apartment passed in. Let us hope he is [...]