Masterchef Australia May Not Make Your Dreams Come True

Appearing on Masterchef Australia may not mean you are automatically guaranteed your dream job in cooking. Well in most of the contestants cases it is more like not getting that TV show, or media gig rather than a real chef’s role.

The SMH did a quick ready reckoner on what has happened to some of the contestants.

The article said that Julie Goodwin was the biggest selling author in Australia last year, plus she has a Australian Women’s Weekly column and her own cooking show.

But for some of the other contestants it has meant going back to their day jobs with some food work on the side.

The article states:

Others have yet to realise their dreams of a television show: Alvin Quah is a regular on Mornings with Kerri-Anne but while he hopes for a cooking program of his own, the PhD-holding scientist remains working as a scientific affairs manager in the pharmaceutical industry.

Quah blogs – the latest entry on his Cinnamon Pig website is ”in praise of offal” – and writes about food for the Citysearch website.

The article also goes onto say Claire Winton-Burn is no longer writing for The Age nor has she been posting on her blog since September last year.

However season 2 winner Adam Liaw is finalising his cookbook, and his looking to open a restaurant in Sydney in 2011.

Also Marion Grasby has a cookbook deal, as well as her range for Coles. I suspect we may see her on our TV screens this year as well.

However Chris Badenoch who has just opened Josie Bones in Melbourne gets the final quote in the article where he says”If you want to be a chef, you don’t need to go on TV.” I tend to agree.

As the article did not include them all here are what I know what they are doing:

• Matthew Schofield is back working as an accountant, clearly working in a professional kitchen wasn’t for him. Pity as Neil Perry gave him big raps.
  • Justine Schofield is writing for TV Week;
  • Poh has the highly popular show on ABC and a new book out;
  • Carrie was going into catering but not sure if she is getting much work;
  • Callum moved to Melbourne to do a internship with George Calombaris, I am not sure if he is still there as that was for three months;
  • Jimmy Seervai was opening an indian restaurant in Sydney, I am not sure if it has opened – he wasn’t going to be head chef.

If you know of what any of the former Masterchef contestant’s are doing please add in the comments section.

1 alexa { 01.16.11 at 12:45 pm }

no surprises here
but why does Chris Badenoch constantly bite the hand that feeds him? In his book he says he couldn’t be doing what he’s doing without masterchef. He’s stating the obvious here, you don’t need a tv show to be a chef, and he’s not a chef, he’s not close to a chef. He runs a business with a beer list out front and a deep-fat fryer out back.

I’m really looking forward to Adam’s projects, and marion’s too.

2 CG { 01.17.11 at 7:58 am }

Needless to say, I am pleased to hear Claire Whinging-Burn(out) is doing so well. No sign of Jimmy in Surry Hills. I thought he was opening a restaurant on Devonshire last November?

3 smauge { 01.17.11 at 8:01 am }

Marion is also writing for Masterchef Magazine.
I can’t imagine Julie being in the spotlight for too much longer. Her show was a shocker and I’m not sure she has another book in her. Maybe the WW will be the only thing left for her.
You forgot to mention that Chris’s partner in Josie Bones (and real life) is fellow contestant Julia.

4 Paul { 01.17.11 at 8:38 am }

Callum is still working in a restaurant – pretty sure he is still with George.

RR – do you mean Matt Caldicott?

Gee, Chris B cops a bad wrap – sure he might not be the best bloke in the world but the fact is he’s got his own place up and running and has also made an appearance on Iron Chef Oz. I cant pot him for that as its obvious that he has been one of the few to be 100% committed to the food industry once he left MC.

5 CG { 01.17.11 at 10:09 am }

Feel bad for Matt C. I got the impression – in fact he pretty much said during the show – he doesn’t want to be an accountant and was pushed into it by his father. His father seems very….err…conservative. So now Matt is back in the office and the closet? Poor guy.

6 brain dead dave { 01.17.11 at 4:01 pm }

Irmgaard will be releasing a range of gourmet laxatives.

7 alexa { 01.17.11 at 5:27 pm }

paul – chris cops a wrap because he is a bad guy, plain and simple. After being bankrupt twice and falling out with his old business, I only got this through the media, he got his own place up and running because of Julia and other people’s generosity.
I was such a fan and went to his new place and was so dissapointed. So much fried food and alot of attitude from the staff.
This quote from the article RR put up backs up his lack of backbone. He just says what he thinks will please people at the time. It’s boring and I’m let down

8 brain dead dave { 01.17.11 at 6:48 pm }

Didn’t Jake have a fish stall at the beach? Or did the stall stall?

9 bella vita { 01.17.11 at 8:30 pm }

Was at The Press Club last week and no sign of Callum…I asked the waiter and he had no idea either.
Peter K is opening up or has opened a deli/international foods place I think in Carlton..but don’t quote me as I may have gotten the info wrong…but he is still working at his law firm

10 callie { 01.17.11 at 8:33 pm }

I would have to say I went to Josie Bones Chris’s restaurant last weekend while I was away in Melbourne and it was fantastic. Went with my dad who is a bit of a tough customer and the service was amazing!!

11 smauge { 01.17.11 at 9:07 pm }

Josie Bones got a couple of bad reviews service wise early on, maybe they’ve pulled up their socks.
In the closet CG? Did I miss a memo?

12 CG { 01.17.11 at 9:15 pm }

Alexa, did Julia bankroll the restaurant? Didn’t Chris have a bankruptcy or two in his background? Would make it very difficult to get a loan if he did. Do tell!

13 Reality Raver { 01.17.11 at 9:32 pm }

Alexa – don’t they have a head chef?

CG – I wonder what the hold up is with Jimmy? Visa problems with the chef?

BDD – I reckon Irmguard should get her own reality show she was gold.

Bella Vita – that’s right I forgot about Peter.

Callie – what did you have to eat?

Smauge – I think they were food bloggers, I saw a good review in Melbourne Time Out. I think it will appeal to some and not others.

Paul – oops yes I meant Matthew Caldicott.

Smauge – yes you are right Julia Jenkins is his business partner. She is like the forgotten person on the show and in real life. People barely mention her when they write about Josie Bones, i wonder how she feels about that.

14 brain dead dave { 01.17.11 at 9:48 pm }

They’ve got a head chef….he’s real good at cooking heads.