My Kitchen Rules – Victoria Tanks

“So no kisses tonight?” said Manu, after Stefania talked about how she didn’t like the smell of garlic on her husband’s breath. She demured back suggesting it was still a possibility. WA immediately became my favourite team.

Manu was still being smooth when asked her “So does Stefania like the salmon?” She was probably miffed she was sharing her hotel room with her cousin Daniella.

The most entertaining bits of the episode was when there was conversation between the contestants and they looked like they were having fun. If you are going to rip off Come Dine With Me, at least liquor up the guests and get the conversation flowing. When they are looking at the food it all seems so stilted.

For example when Daniela was affronted when she answered Angelina Jolie  as the actress who would play her in the movie of her life when James chimed in and said “Not Bette Midler?”.

She was lucky he didn’t suggest Roseanne Barr.

Tonight it was flatmates Lee and Kane from Victoria turn to cook. Kane was the guy Manu outed on radio last week.

Basically they were a freaking train wreck.

To start they served duck spring rolls with hoisin sauce. Judge Pete Evans gushed that this was one of the classic flavour combinations. But it was a disaster. They were making crepes to wrap them up. Bt they had no back up spring roll wrappers when they realised the crepes were not going as planned. The zucchini went cold so garlic and chilli didn’t cook, and Lee forgot to grease the baking tray.

The main of crispy skinned salmon with fennel, and asparagus was a mild improvement as Lee said a “step up to mediocre.”

The dessert of Adzuki bean soup with pandan ice cream had mixed reviews. Personally I would have loved it.

WA, SA, NSW gave 6, Qld and Tas gave 5 points.

Pete gave entree 3, main 6, dessert 7.

Manu gave the entree 4, main 6, dessert 5

So Victoria scored 59. Nowhere near Qld, they will struggle to stay in the competition.

My Kitchen Rules on its debut on Monday night had 1.2 million viewers. A higher figure then its first episode last year.

1 Tweets that mention My Kitchen Rules – Victoria Tanks | reality ravings -- Topsy.com { 02.01.11 at 10:22 pm }

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by realityraver, Leigh Cunningham. Leigh Cunningham said: RT @realityraver: Blog Post: My Kitchen Rules – Victoria Tanks, and Manu Flirts http://bit.ly/gH7CfM #MKR […]

2 Anonymous { 02.01.11 at 10:34 pm }

The food didn’t look that bad on the plates, but they just ran so short of time in the kitchen it did seem like chaos.

I hope every episode of this show isn’t going to be the same – fun amateur cooks realise that cooking for 12 is actually no fun at all….

and Mr Tasmania is a bit of a complainer. I wonder what he will cook.

3 bella vita { 02.01.11 at 10:45 pm }

Lee last night acted like she was the premier cook, whereas I actually think Kane has more of a clue and I would have never paired up with her knowing her stress levels and obvious lack of pallate.
Mr and Mrs Tassie never have a kind word to say about anyone or anything and quite nasty, so i hope they tank. Seem very self righteous to me.

4 Reality Raver { 02.02.11 at 8:29 am }

Anonymous – I think you nailed it 12 dinner parties with exactly the same formula may get tedious.

Bella Vita – I think Tassie are being set up for the tank, but also if you piss everyone off even if good they will give you a conservative score

5 seepi { 02.02.11 at 10:04 am }

Anoymous was me sorry.

The car dealer couple are funny too – she nods and agrees with whatever he ways, sometimes even silently phrasing the words. they seem a lot nicer than the sour Tasmanians tho.

6 Culinary Boner { 02.02.11 at 10:23 am }

Agree with other comments about the unpleasant demeanor and cats-arse expressions of the Tassie pair. Maybe them charming fillums recently outta Van Demon’s Land are actually docos – “Dying Breed”, “The Loved Ones” and that semi-historical convict cannibal one. Will definitely be watching the night this pair are on.

7 sourkraut { 02.02.11 at 1:35 pm }

I like the South Australians. They seem pretty fair in their judgements and comments.
Had to chuckle at the thoughts of shock horror from any greenies among us when Lee said just chuck out the duck fat (good thing they were ducks as there was enough fat for them to swim in). In restaurants this is very controlled and is termed trade waste which is specially treated in our sewage treatment plants.
Felt a bit sorry for the Vics, but they did build themselves up a bit too much the night b4.
My opinion of the WA girls is getting confirmed. (and the Tassie couple are sounding a bit catty, but that could be just a re-run of the PORTRAYAL of the South Australian couple last year)
But Boner, when are we going to see a gratuitous (tit or two?) pop out of an apron as nearly seemed to happen last night?
Strange choice of dessert, probably quite tasty but reminded me a bit of the century egg disaster. Not for the ocker palate.
Which brings me to one final improvement 7 could make next year round… Try to get some more Asian contestants, even though I dont like century egg and the bean soup LOOKED unpleasant.

8 sourkraut { 02.02.11 at 1:44 pm }

Raver
You still have not learne. Tut Tut!
Your poll does not have a category NON OF THE ABOVE. Put me down for 27 votes to that thanks

9 Reality Raver { 02.02.11 at 1:44 pm }

Sourkraut – you have to try and get your hands on this week’s Come Dine With Me Australia there is a blonde on it you would love…
Yes they could have more then one asian. I am looking forward to eating polish cuisine tonight.

Seepi – I don’t mind the SA couple at the moment.

Culinary Boner – I think the producers are setting up the Tassie couple big time, I am sure she is saying some positive comments.

10 Culinary Boner { 02.02.11 at 2:11 pm }

Sourkraut, you can trust me to be on the look out for the sort of stuff that earns immediate pixelation on US shows like Survivor…ah…Amanda…back on topic…
I will also be on the look out to see if Manu pulls through his trip to Perth “intact”. I half expect him to announce to Stephania he needs to go for a leak, to come back 10mins and join Pete with his hair ruffled and an extra button loosened on his shirt. Also agree with you chastising Raver about her poll. FFS! There are only three women listed! And one’s a celeb lesbian and another’s Donna Hay.

11 davsimp { 02.02.11 at 2:34 pm }

Call me a harsh bastard, but I was perversely pleased to see the smug looks wiped off Lee and Kane’s faces on the show tonight. The previous night saw them laying on a few snipey comments in regards to the butcher boys from Queensland. Something along the lines of “two butchers from Queensland? I’m sure we can top that” Well guess what kids? YA DIDN’T!!

Re: new poll. One assumes said pantry would be a walk-in job now that I see Matty Preston on the list. He has a vote as well!!

12 Reality Raver { 02.02.11 at 4:10 pm }

davisimp – yes definitely walk in, I was going to use the term larder.. But should have used the term cool room because if it as hot as it is in Sydney today I would be answering all or any of the above.

13 sourkraut { 02.02.11 at 4:27 pm }

Raver comment 9. Glad that came out the right way. Hate to have to actually get my hands on a blonde. I’ve forgotten wot to do!

14 sourkraut { 02.02.11 at 4:34 pm }

Raver
re boners comment above. Please dont add the pommy twinings tea bird (nigella i think is her name) to your list as she is not blonde and would not receive my vote even if she was.
Saw an article in MX recently about Gen Y not being able to cook, still i wonder if Sophie Monk can cook (bet her new hubby doesnt care)