I am always perplexed when contestants on cooking shows where they have submitted a menu announce they have never cooked it before.

With $100,000 prize money on the line wouldn’t you practice your menu a few times?

Clearly not in SA, as Donna announced she had never made ice cream nor cooked with chocolate. Considering they were the main components of her dessert Coconut ice cream and mango salsa, with chocolate barrels it was a bit of a risk.

The rest of their menu was stuffed field mushrooms with chirizo with buffalo mozzarella for entree, and the main was blue fin tuna wrapped with prosciutto.

Looking at the entree the mozzarella didn’t appear to have melted, but Pete thought it was pretty special. However he did not like the balsamic dressing on the tomato on the side.

However, Manu thought the cheese could have been melted a lot more, but again he loved the flavours.

Now Melanie is never going to get any flirty action with Manu if she doesn’t change her attitude. “It hasn’t blown me away” said Mel.

You can tell that by now she is getting on everyones nerves. The WA girls bit back  and speaking through gritted teeth and said “everything doesn’t have to be five star.”  There also appeared to be a bit of eye rolling including the judge Pete Evans. Also does James speak?

Reade had cut the tuna pieces in different sizes, and hence they were all cooked to a different level.

Manu’s was overdone, but Pete’s was perfect. Kane’s from Victoria was so over done it was like he had canned tuna on his plate.

Donna’s dessert looked great. Manu thought it was beautiful. Pete liked it but thought the dark chocolate was overpowering. He said all he could taste was chocolate. Some people may not consider that a negative thing.

Speaking of negative, Melanie said all she could taste was sweetness.

Qld gave them 6, NSW 7, WA 8, Tas, 6, Vic 5. The combined score was 32. Reade thought that was what it deserved.

Manu gave the entree 7, main 5, and dessert 7.

Pete gave the entree 7, main 8 and dessert 7.

Donna looked disappointed with the score for her dessert. They got a total of 73, and they are sitting third on the board. Someone is going to have to really tank to go below Victoria’s 59. Everyone is hoping that it will be Tasmania who are cooking on tomorrow’s episode.

By the way did anyone else think there was some dodgy editing early in the episode when Donna and Reade pulled into the driveway 15 minutes before they could start their kitchen prep, but in that time managed to unload the car, and set their table?

Also apologies for not blogging on last Wednesday’s episode on the NSW teams, Polish menu, the heat had given me a physical, mental and emotional breakdown..

Please make comments on that episode here as well if you still have the urge to vent.

1 Angie { 02.07.11 at 10:20 pm }

I thought they made a great effort. I couldn’t believe how critical Melanie was – it will be interesting to see how many “chef’s hats” she will get LOL. I thought Melanie was quite sour.

2 Essjayeats { 02.07.11 at 10:20 pm }

I think it’s terribly bad form for the contestants to serve, and specifically name Blue Fin tuna. It’s critically endangered, and specifying the breed added *nothing* to the story. Given that shows like this have been show to increase sales of featured good items I think it’s incredibly irresponsible of Coles and the producers.

They could have just said “tuna”.

Not impressed at all! It’s the “Curtis Stone cage egg” all over again. You’d think Coles would have learnt their lesson.

3 Reality Raver { 02.07.11 at 10:28 pm }

Angie – Funnily enough she is sour over the table but her scores have been about what the others have been giving. But I still think she is going to get punished tomorrow night.

Essjayeats – Good point. It would not be hard to ask the contestants to use sustainable seafood in their menu. Coles again trips over itself.

I must admit I was a bit suss about the tuna. I thought they were doing the shot/promo of Coles , and they they went off somewhere to buy the fish. They must have pre-ordered it in, as I don’t think I have ever seen tuna in a supermarket fish section, well not in recent times.

4 wallah { 02.07.11 at 10:32 pm }

Just loved the cringing ohshithe’sgoingtohavetopayforthatevenifhedoesn’twantitandI’mtheonethathastosortthisout look that the poor girl at Coles had on her face when Mr. SA put his hands all over that piece of tuna.

5 Tweets that mention My Kitchen Rules – Sourpuss Melanie Is Never Going To Get Any Flirty Action From Manu | reality ravings -- Topsy.com { 02.07.11 at 10:36 pm }

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by realityraver and Jenny Brown, Joanne . Joanne said: RT @realityraver: Blog Post: My Kitchen Rules – Sourpuss Mel is never going to get any flirty action from Manu http://bit.ly/dWwtFe #MKR […]

6 AT { 02.07.11 at 11:18 pm }

the whole Tassie couple thing reminds me of the first SA couple from last year (both are called Mel…ironic much?). i have a feeling that there will be the one couple that everyone hates in every MKR season…unless round 2 couples also has one.

7 Reality Raver { 02.07.11 at 11:34 pm }

AT – I am impressed with your MKR knowledge I had forgotten the SA girl from last year was Mel. In fact I would be hard pressed to name more then one team from last series.

8 davsimp { 02.07.11 at 11:54 pm }

RR wrote: “Kane’s from Victoria was so over done it was like he had canned tuna on his plate” and wasn’t that a stroke of luck? Him and his flatmate have been champing at the bit for someone to fark up so they can have a shot at redemption. Every time the camera is on him, “oh i hope their food is shit, I hope we arent last still, oh please fuck up your main course so we can get in front.” Suck it up princess, you are coming last, deal with it!!

Cant wait till tomorrow night, to see what mel catsarseface from Tasmania will delight us with.

9 Reality Raver { 02.08.11 at 1:38 am }

davisimp – funnily enough I don’t know why the Victorians haven’t just scored everyone a 2 just to see if that will keep them in the game. Their score is embarassingly low.

10 Culinary Boner { 02.08.11 at 10:07 am }

Melanie Catsarse and Detective Sargeant James of the Tassie Scowl Squad present a huge dilemma for the new State Premier Lara Giddings.

Does she call a referendum to vote ’em of the isle – for exile to New Zealand – in order to ensure the bulk of this nation’s taxpayers are still happy to fund Van Demon’s Land? Or, does she go down the local parochialism path and side with this pair, claiming they are misuderstood and being unfairly edited?

Am looking forward to this episode. Mel better be able to cook like a combination of Neil Perry and Heston Bumenthal to meet the expectations she’s raised with her bitchy comments.

11 AngelSN86 { 02.08.11 at 10:37 am }

The Victorian did give them the lowest score, though they kept it high enough not to be too suss. And I suppose with the over-cooked tuna that Kane had, it was sort of justified. The promos seem to be setting up Mel for failure but then I thought the same thing when I saw the promos for the girls that ended up on the top.

Oh and on the topic of Mel and the bitching, there was an article in this week’s TV Week about it. They talk about the comparisons between last year’s Mel and this year’s Mel and she defends herself by saying that she’s just honest. The article seems to almost imply that its an editing thing.

12 Wurstsemmel { 02.08.11 at 1:38 pm }

Loving the eye rolling and sideways glances between Pete and Manu in response to Mel. Editing or not, she’s the one that keeps making the nasty comments. She’d better dish up something wonderful tonight, although of course the bulk of us viewers are desperately hoping for a major cock up. Her other half isn’t much better either – a match made in heaven if ever there was one.

Loving Manu’s flirtiness but likely to go off the boil for me once he steps into the tight lycra of Dancing with the Stars, although I’ve heard he is a good bon-bon shaker. I’m just still traumatised by the red lycra in Beat the Star.

13 jan { 02.08.11 at 1:42 pm }

Mel catsarseface thinks she & James are better cooks (by the not nice comments). I hope they can do better than everyone else. I doubt they can. They are TOO SURE OF THERESELVES.
BY THE WAY HER NAME IS AN INSULT TO CATS.

14 jennifer phillips { 02.10.11 at 7:23 am }

Mel is a spiteful know all f’ all who can’t even manage to cook a simple meat dish and forgot the rum in her rum dessert! Her lap dog of a husband James makes Australian men look bad. Looking forward to this season being over so we don’t have to endure her catsarseface nasty coments or listen to him say… well say nothing at all really.

15 sourkraut { 02.11.11 at 1:42 pm }

raver
the format needs to be changed. Contestants should have to cook and entertain in their own house. Where would two under 30 bimbos get the money for a multi million dollar mansion like the one they used?LOL
and 10/10 for bloody beetroot soup. Iknow you can beat an egg but you cant beat a root, but that was bloody ridiculous. Is someone seriously going to say that beetroot soup is so orgasmically perfect.. come off it, and trout for a main, big steaming whooppee! (and what about the couple that got bones? that should straightaway deduct one mark from everyone). The judges were obviously playing to the demographics.
Another thing, as I sed b4, the contestants scores should be kept secret and revealed the way they do in come dine with me Greece, (An excellent show). That way contestants wont feel embarassed to give low scores for glop they dislike but dont want to look foolish when the judges have swooned over it.
Also, if the show is to have credibility it needs consistency in the judging also from year to year especially in the scoring, and no I cant be bothered looking up last years scores and dishes to prove this.
Finally stop the stupid false previews in the shows. they are now just predictable and bloody annoying Showing minor disasters during the cooking and making the punters think that they will score badly and then lo and be bloody hold they score a 10 for bloody beetroot soup. BAH Not happy 7!

16 sourkraut { 02.11.11 at 1:45 pm }

Boner
If mel cooks like a combination of Ponytail and Bloomingheck the result will be catastrophic

17 Jilly { 03.23.11 at 8:25 pm }

I am SO FED UP with MKR and all the judges. I am of the opinion that ALL of the contestants SHOULD HAVE TO COOK something the SAME sometimes. MANU is a PIG typical FRENCH, piss off back to France. IN AUSTRALIA we actually don’t like OUR FOOD FLOATING IN SAUCES. OR have you NOT NOTICED THAT. UNLESS of course it’s a PIE AND PEA FLOATER. We have real food and taste and don’t want a mountain of sauces or gravies to make something taste good!! MY EXPERIENCE of FRENCH FOOD is not good, there is always very little food and very expensive prices, WHAT HAPPENED TO THE VEGETABLES MANU?????. THAT’S WHY I PREFER TO STAY IN THE LAND OF OZ and EAT OUR OWN KIND OF FRESH FOOD!!!!!! YOU JUDGE in the kitchen when wandering around to see what they are up to, you have already made up your minds. I love an old fashioned baked dinner, can you cook one of those? I wonder? I would like to see less ethnic food cooked. A fistfull of diamonds shoved you know where would not please Manu. This is the last time I will watch this sho. I finally don’t watch the last kitchen show, 1 down and 1 to go!!! I really dislike the manner in which Manu judges people that are trying their hardest and obviously some dishes are more complicated than others. Lets face it, Asian is cheap and easy food to prepare!!! It’s virtually pauper food! This comment should please some, NOT!!

18 Jilly { 03.23.11 at 8:37 pm }

I BET LEE and KANE get through, it’s go get the Tasmanian’s. At least they can cook real food and the judges say they played safe!!! Fnnngggg idiot judges. You are so one eyed and I doubt anything would please you. Manu, nothing would impress you, it’s a wonder you are a big as you are!!!
Oh! well, people get used to watching Asian cooking till the end of the show.
I AM PROUD OF YOU Tasmanian contestants, well done.
I WOULD NOT EVEN TASTE THE BLACK RICE STUFF!!!! I would vomit first and I disagree with Asian being cooked on a show like this. Especially, as it is one of the easiet foods to COOK!!!!!
GET OVER IT JUDGES!!!!

19 Jilly { 03.23.11 at 8:38 pm }

TO COOK “ASIAN” FOOD IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!!!
ANYONE CAN DO IT!!!!!