My Kitchen Rules – WA Cook Up A Great Evening

I thought the Pete was being a bit picky about the chunk of oxtail in the gnocchi sauce. He said it should have been written on the menu, as there could have been a vegetarian at the table.

Stefania should have said “Look buster we have been eating with you guys for the last five nights there are no vegetarians here.”

However Mel has revealed she had been a vegetarian for 12 years and would have been very upset if this had been served to her in those days. In fact I am surprised that Mel didn’t just decide to turn vegetarian for the just to be a bit more difficult.

Also obviously Manu Feildel was feeling comfortable with the WA contestants, as the judges did not even bother knocking on the door, and he just appeared in the kitchen to check out what was happening.

The girls were presenting an Italian theme night.

Entree was gnocchi, main was marinated goat, with cabbage and potatoes, and for dessert there are chocolate pavlovas with berries and cream.

I must I like Daniela but I am not sure I would want to be cooking with her in the kitchen. She is a bit over dramatic.

The gnocchi was apparently too rubbery, but the sauce was nice. The goat casserole got the all round thumbs up, except for a few complaints about lack of meat and bones.

And everyone liked the dessert except the Tas couple, as they didn’t think it should have been called pavlova.

SA gave them a 9, NSW a 8, Qld 7, Tas a 7, Vic an 8 for a total of 39.

Manu gave the entree 6, main 8, and dessert 8.

Pete gave the entree 6, main 8, and dessert 8.

They got a total of 83, so they are second in group one after the polish girls from NSW. This meant Kane and Lee were going to be eliminated, however there was a twist  they are giving them a second chance. They will face off against the team who comes last in group two.

Next week we get to meet the next bunch of teams, and from the previews it looks like these episodes are going to be crackers.

1 wallah { 02.10.11 at 1:54 am }

I really really like these two…agree that Manu must get along well with them! Did I spy a wood burning oven in the backyard, and if so, why wasn’t it used? Reckon they would have kicked arse with a roasted goat! One thing that does leave me wondering is the wine that’s served with the meals….surely Channel 7 would have sewn up a sponsorship deal with someone? I wonder if people are serving appropriate wines with their food. Managgia miseria!

2 Culinary Boner { 02.10.11 at 10:25 am }

Another enjoyable episode. Good to see the exorcism of good-host Melanie and the return of bad-guest Melanie, with her constant ‘catsarse’ negativity and trusty sidekick, Captain Scowl.

3 PollyB { 02.10.11 at 10:31 am }

I agree re Pete’s comments about the oxtail.
Are we watching these shows in the sequence they are recorded? I wonder because I thought suuuuurely catsbum Mel would hold back after realising how easily things can go askew in the kitchen. Says a lot about her how critical she is of the tiniest things.
Well done to the WA girls. And very lucky Vic team. They screwed up big time, scored others low to try to stay in the game and now they get a 2nd chance. A bit unfair on the others.
Anyhoo, loving this show.

4 Reality Raver { 02.10.11 at 1:06 pm }

Wallah – Oh God I notice the wood fired oven and thought how good it would look. But maybe it is harder to control the cooking in those things.

CB – Mel is having a shocking edit. She said in this week’s TV week she is staying off the forums as to not look at what people are writing.

Polly B – It is filmed sequentially I think as they all know the other team’s scores. Re: Mel and the ox tail, she doesn’t have a lot of tact. To be fair to her there are people on the other side of the camera peppering questions at them.

I am liking it more than last year – better editing perhaps?

5 Daisy { 02.10.11 at 1:52 pm }

I firmly believe the producers are asking for some theatrics in the kitchen; everyone has had something go wrong (usually edited out) so it makes for good television even all Daniela’s Oh My Goodness’s – that whole icing sugar sprinkling was a bit OTT – playing to the camera? Cant wait for the next batch of contestants…………. Pete is very stiff and pickyish his eyebrows always give him away with his first taste, Ive noticed

6 Ellie (Almost Bourdain) { 02.10.11 at 2:37 pm }

I must say I start to like the show. The contestants in the next pool look interesting. Expecting some exciting episode.

7 sourkraut { 02.11.11 at 2:02 pm }

BORING bloody gnocchi again Crap when will someone please outlaw it from cooking competitions? When all is said and done its just mashed spud shapes. Likewise cabbage for the main. How is that more impressive than what the Qlders cooked for vegies? Would have been FAR better to have whomped up a decent SOURKRAUT ole!
Manu You must be desperate if that’s the best you can do.Brain dead dave’s earlier revelation about him puts it all in its true perspective