My Kitchen Rules – Death Threats To Tassie Couple

I mean come on guys it is only a reality TV show, what is with these death threats to the Tasmanian couple Mel and James. This is giving reality TV views a bad name. Also get a grip guys they are not exactly Murbarak.

The Sunday Telegraph reports Mel and James have had death threats on Facebook and also James has been contacted via is mobile phone by one male viewer. The out come is that Melanie now regrets going on the show, and that is not a good thing for anyone.

Ok Melanie has been shown as being bitchy and talking down to her husband James on TV, and James has shown a certain part of his anatomy has shrivelled, but do they deserve death threats? No.

In fact they deserve accolades for making the show so entertaining this year.

This same situation occurred last year on Masterchef Australia when Joanne Zalm received death threats via Facebook as well.

As I wrote in The Punch then, I think the editors of these shows have some responsibility on how they portray the characters of this show. As I am sure at some stage Mel would have said a few nice things, and James would have stood up to Mel and told her to “back off”.

The article states:

Under fire for her nasty comments on the cooking program, Ms Maddock told The Sunday Telegraph the threats had left her fearing for the safety of her family.

“I’ve had death threats on Facebook,” she said.

“The person who made the indirect threat was trying to find out how he could get our home address so he could send a threat in the mail.”

Maddock said her husband James, with whom she appears on the program, received a phone call from a viewer.

“He got a call on his mobile a couple of days ago from a horrible man who told us sarcastically to ‘keep up the good work’. This upset James greatly and has surprised and scared us that people have gone to the trouble of finding our phone number.

A Seven spokesperson said the threats had been taken seriously and that the network had approached Facebook in an attempt to have them removed.

Several hate pages have been set up on Facebook, including one with almost 1200 “fans”.

Other online forums contain viewer commentary in which Ms Maddock is often labelled a “bitch” and “an absolute cow”.

Anyway the viewers also have to realise it is a show and a show only, and it is reality TV, but the characters we are two dimensional, and this type of behaviour does no one any favours.

1 davsimp { 02.13.11 at 11:45 am }

This is bullshit!! It’s a reality tv show, nothing more, nothing less. People should back off. They are nothing but cowards hiding behind a computer screen. Sure, Mel is not my favourite by a long chalk, but to threaten her??? Some people disgust me.

2 brain dead dave { 02.13.11 at 3:08 pm }

If there must be death threats…they should be directed to the pinheaded producers and editors of such appalling shows, who in my opinion are even lower on the human totem pole than the deluded desperadoes that go in thinking they’re in for some sort of “awesome journey”.

3 Culinary Boner { 02.14.11 at 11:26 am }

Building on BDD’s theme – and leaping headlong into loopy conspiracy theory territory – maybe, just maybe those pinhead producers and their PR sidekicks are behind this?? Given that you don’t need much effort to make these types of gutless threats nowadays ’cause of the internet. And are also unlikely to face any consequences. (Remember the old days of faking accents down the phone a la that fat NSW Lib pollie Barry Morris, or spendin’ an evening with a stick of UHU, scissors and the Sunday papers cutting out letters and trying to spell out and stick straight, gloves on – “you gonna die, mutherfucka”). Given its now so easy to make threats and they tend to generate easy publicity, maybe, just maybe…? Or have I been watching too many episodes of ‘Absolute Power’?

4 Graeme Lyness { 02.14.11 at 7:59 pm }

It is insanity to hear of people threatening Mel. She and hubby may not be some peoples cup of tea but as for me, I think they have every right to express an opinion when they are asked for it. You don’t have to agree with it.
I think she and hubby are great and it is a shame none of the contestants get to see the cut product until it goes to air.
Grow up anybody who has sent hate mail or threats. It is a bloody cooking show, not Underbelly.
I think like all contestants, they are very well presented and speak beautifully.
All the best to them and all the contestants

5 Angie { 02.16.11 at 8:25 pm }

I think the death threats are simply terrible. Ok, Mel was painful to watch and husband had misplaced his gonads but they certainly didn’t deserve death threats.

6 Anonymous { 02.17.11 at 1:09 pm }

i feel so sorry for u mel and james if ur reading this dw about the treats they r truly to scared to say it too ur face so trust me they wouldnt even lay a hand on u

7 Anonymous { 02.17.11 at 1:09 pm }