My Kitchen Rules – The High Achievers Failed

I must confess I had expected the high achievers from Victoria to be brain surgeons or astrophysicists, but maybe My Kitchen Rules producers think any professional job is high achieving. Well they may be high achievers in the day to day life but really leaving two bags behind at the check out was pretty stupid.

I was surprised the Coles, Ash had to rush back to was so close. He only lost 30 minutes of prep time. I had always thought that the couples were taken to the nicest looking Coles in their city to ensure the sponsors were kept happy. Or maybe the clocks were fiddled.

The other thing that was disappointing was Ash’s announcement he had anger issues at the beginning of the episode, but then there was no cataclysmic scene where he loses it. Unless you count him mounting the car on the gutter after he drove home from Coles a second time.

The Victorian menu was reliant on a lot of components setting within the allotted time frame and they didn’t have any of those Masterchef fancy gadgets to help them achieve this.

The entree was Gorgonzola panacotta with tomatoes and speck, main was roast rack of lamb stuffed with feta served with mushroom ragu and peas, and dessert was peanut brittle with banana parfait.

The entree looked very professional, and I was perplexed by Manu’s complaint that there was not enough seasoning in it. It was filled with cheese for chrissake how much saltier can you get. By the way how sexy is the way Manu Feildel says the word sexy? It should be mandatory that he says it five times an episode.

Pete Evans said the gorgonzola was overpowered by the parmesan.

The lamb was a debacle. Ash undercooked it and it was blue or raw. In fact I wonder if he actually turned the oven on.

Kerry the mum from WA was actually “Terrified” by it.  It was raw not alive. However it did look inedible. Tip for future contestants buy a meat thermometer.

The dessert was spectacular and very current with its mix of salt and sweet, and was popular with everyone.

Tas gave a 6, WA gave a 6, SA gave a 7, Qld gave a 5, NSW boys gave a 7 for a total of 31/50. The urban hippy Queenslanders obviously were not feeling the love.

Manu gave the entree 7, he gave the main  a 6 as his lamb was cooked, and dessert he gave an 8.

Pete gave the entree a 5,  he gave the main a 4, and for dessert a 9.

They got a grand total of of 70 which is currently one point behind the Qld urban hippies. Ash was not happy and as seen from the previews they start playing the game. I do hope a team gives another team one point only, just because they can. That would expose the flaw in the judging system.

1 Lea { 02.15.11 at 10:58 pm }

I have only been following intermittently, and i’m not sure where in melbourne these peeps are from, but unless they are in the boondocks, Melb’s a lot easier to get around than Sydney. I’m basically 30mins from anywhere important max. Not having a go, or lending into that Syd/Melb crap ( which I hate ), but if you are used to Sydney .. yeah. When I used to go to Sydney for work, I used to be amazed at how much of my day was wasted sitting in a car going nowhere .. so it’s all about what you’re used to ( IMO )

I wonder what Coles would classify as it’s flagship store here though .. hmm .. interesting..

2 Rosie { 02.15.11 at 11:11 pm }

The raw meat thing was just bizarre. I mean, if you took a lamb rack out of the oven and it was still all but raw, would you not whack it back in the oven for a bit longer? After turning said oven up a few notches?

3 Reality Raver { 02.15.11 at 11:20 pm }

Rosie – That did cross my mind. Serve one of two people dodgy pieces due to having started cutting it, but the rest could have a half decent piece.

Lea – I think the timing is strange. Only 6 1/2 hours to shop and prep, but having to leave to shop at 8am or 9 am in the morning. Production must want dinner served at 4.00pm

4 Chris { 02.15.11 at 11:38 pm }

Rosie – I agrre with you entirely, it doesn’t take a Rocket Scientist to decide.. ‘best put it back in the oven for awhile’.
I’m from WA but the Mother/ Daughter team, are driving me mad. They are obviously going to cook up a storm!!!!

5 Lea { 02.15.11 at 11:55 pm }

Early servings would probably be more to do with logistics – lighting, overtime etc …

6 Peter A { 02.16.11 at 12:08 am }

Once again during the show I heard the words “prepared earlier”.
They must allow certain items to be prepared before the show officially begins the Prep Time.

7 davsimp { 02.16.11 at 12:22 am }

Raw lamb – blerk yes, terrifying no. Get a grip Perth woman, but not in the way your daughter does with her cutlery. When Ash pulled the lamb racks out it was obvious they were going to be nowhere near cooked in a hurry, he should have cranked up the hotplate, given each of them a good sear on either side, and bob’s your uncle.
I thought the pseudo urban hippies were quite cute in a we-are not-really-urban-hippies-we-are-dickheads kinda way, but to give the Vics a 5 was a bit mean. Yeh dudes it’s a competition and aren’t you lucky no one scored you on your speed? If the pair of you were any slower you would be in reverse. And for the record last time I checked hippies didnt wear catwoman eyeliner and lip gloss, nor an Andy Capp hat and Jarvis Cocker glasses……but I digress.

8 Chris { 02.16.11 at 12:57 am }

Peter A – That was about the Prailine, and I saw Kelly prepare that earlier (but in the allocated time). It showed her crushing the nuts, and putting everything into a loaf tin’

9 C J { 02.16.11 at 7:40 am }

The producers think a “high achieving job”‘is one which prohibits wearing jeans and does not have a uniform. The Vic couple live in Rowville and I agree with the Sydney/Melbourne analysis here – way easier to get around in Melbourne and if the producers create traffic in Hobart we will know the whole thing is a joke.

Given the inane monikers for these couple my friend and I are considering entering next year just to be called “snarky cows” – wonder if we could pull it off? What would the regular commenters in this blog be called by producers ? Culinary Boner Wurstremmel? Injera?

10 Tweets that mention My Kitchen Rules – The High Achievers Failed | reality ravings -- Topsy.com { 02.16.11 at 9:47 am }

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by ros reines, realityraver. realityraver said: Blog Post: My Kitchen Rules – The High Achievers flopped, and Manu needs to say sexy 5 times each episode http://bit.ly/ex3bYz #mkr […]

11 seepi { 02.16.11 at 9:52 am }

They could delete the highest and lowesrt score each time, like in olympic diving, to prevent revenge scoring.

12 Reality Raver { 02.16.11 at 10:11 am }

Seepi – Great idea about the scoring. That would stop it for sure.

CJ – please apply and this blog will give you plenty of recap loving. We are completely biased towards people who actually read the blog…
However you will be blasted if you get onto camera hauling the pig onto the spit saying you have never cooked it before….

Chris – They need to be more stringent in the rules. I was surprised d the parfait was set. In my freezer I would have had to leave it at least 8 hrs.

Davisimp – She did have the cats eye eyeliner on Monday night. I have to confess I may have been taking poetic licence on the hat.

Lea – agree they probably start filming at 3.00pm as it does take longer in real time. Also want everyone to look a bit fresh. As one team said on one episode it was a 16 hr day.

13 PollyB { 02.16.11 at 10:44 am }

Have to comment on that meat. How could he not tell the fat hadn’t been rendered enough in the pan prior to placing in the oven? The fat was raw out of the oven and he still did nothing. Beggars belief.

14 Courgette { 02.16.11 at 11:54 am }

Some excellent observations regarding the most curious use of cutlery by the obnoxiously pretentious daughter from WA. Methinks aforementioned obnoxiously pretentious daughter should immediately be shipped off to Eggleston Hall with the other Ladettes for a dose of reality TV etiquette.

15 Reality Raver { 02.16.11 at 11:59 am }

Polly B – was he trying to serve it rare or medium rare anyway he was way off.

Courgette – If she was 18 I would probably put up with her behaviour as we were all insufferable at that age, however at 26 she should know better.

16 brain dead dave { 02.16.11 at 1:53 pm }

A pox on the producers once again for the sheer amount of time wasted on on Ms high achiever vacillating over the upturning of the pannacotta. Then the rubbing of salt into the viewers wounds by repeating the appalling footage after the commercial break. Just unacceptable.

Can’t cook a lamb cutlet. Oh dear. Tonight Ash shows his Collingwood pedigree- as his team has fallen behind ,he’s going to start sledging the opposition. Boring couple ,too.

I wonder what the cops will do tonight? If it was real life they’d take all the contestants to a Hungry Jacks drve-thru.

Agree about the urban hippies RR. Not very generous people.

Looking forward to the recap and comments tomorrow. I have to opt for quality and watch The Biggest Loser tonight.

17 Reality Raver { 02.16.11 at 2:00 pm }

Brain Dead Dave – you need to get a hard disc recorder or watch the episode on catch up TV. Normally on the website after the episode has finished.

18 brain dead dave { 02.16.11 at 2:17 pm }

You gotta feel for those contestants…they were fed more raw meat than Liz Hurley.

19 Chris { 02.16.11 at 2:56 pm }

Drop Dead Dave – Your last comment took me a while before I got it!!! I must be having a Blonde Day!
RR is right I record Biggest Loser or Watch it on Catch up.

20 Reality Raver { 02.16.11 at 3:33 pm }

Brain Dead Dave – LOL – I don’t actually believe they were on the job so to speak. I now think it was a huge publicity stunt for both parties.

21 davsimp { 02.16.11 at 5:10 pm }

What shat me more than the birth of the pannacotta, and the replay of the birth of the pannacotta, was when Ash did burnouts all the way back to Coles coz he left not one but two bags of shopping behind, and when he comes flying back into the kitchen like a bat a out of hell Ms high achiever was standing there picking her nose, scratching her arse and tapping her foot. What stopped her from utilising that “half-hour” and getting on with some other important prep instead of throwing her frock up and coming to an instant standstill because the buttermilk wasnt there?

22 Angie { 02.16.11 at 8:22 pm }

I thought their menu looked great and the dessert appeared to be a hit. As mentioned above, why serve the lamb raw? Why not just put it in the over a bit longer. As for the mother-daughter duo – finding the snotty brat daughter a bit annoying – looking forward to her night!