My Kitchen Rules – Mel and James Who?

It is amazing how quickly on reality TV your 15 minutes of fame is finished. This week it is Mel and James who? It is all about pissed off Ash and Kelly from Vic, the Mother and daughter from WA, and urban hippies from Qld who are turning out to be the smiling assassins.

The NSW boys are coming across really well, they know it is a game but are also having a lot of fun, and Anne-Marie and Nick from SA appear to be a pair of sweeties.

It was Esther and Ali the Tasmanian cops turn to cook. Esther appeared to be the one who had the major input into the menu. She has a cheese fetish so it was significant part of the dishes.

For entree there was seared scallops served with cheese arancini, main was pork saltimbocca served on creamy polenta, and dessert was a raspberry bavois. One of the criticisms was there were no vegetables serve, which was a major oversight.

I hope their decision making skills are better when they are on the job otherwise they are putting themselves at risk, as the freaking debate over the scallop roe whether it should go on and off went on far too long.  Seriously leave it on as you are not going to please every one. and you would have to guess the judges would prefer it that way.

They did so deciding people who didn’t like it would chop it off. Holly from WA was “horrified” it was left on. Also what was with her young Helena Bonham Carter look tonight?

Other than the roe debacle their prep went very smoothly except for Esther realising she had forgotten the champagne.

This meant they served their guests ginger beer on arrival, if it was a hot day that may have been ok.

Ash and Kelly were niggling about the night, clearly not happy about being on the bottom. They moaned about the wine service, the ginger beer on arrival , and not eating any food they don’t particularly like.

Ash just comes across as a dickhead with his face scowling each time anyone says a positive mark about a dish.

The entree got mixed reviews Manu Feildel wanted a sauce, and Pete thought the cheese arancini was over powering.I have to agree I thought the arancini was a weird accompaniment to the scallops.

The main pork dish the flavours were said to be lovely, but Pete was critical about the no vegetables on either the entree or main. Manu liked the feta in the saltimbocca something he had been dubious about. Manu also thought they had used the wrong cut of pork and hence it was too dry. Alex from NSW agreed.

Dessert was a success, even thought Manu thought the King Island Cream was too heavy for the dish. Holly from WA loved it. Does anyone else think she is a very young 26 year old. I am presuming she is still living at home.

Kelly and Ash thought there was something fake about the mousse.

WA gave them 7, SA gave a 7, NSW gave a 6, Qld gave a 5, Ash and Kelly a 6 for a total of 31. Now I know the Brisvegas couple are all sunshine and roses to camera but their scores a bit  low. I wonder if this is their strategy. Considering tonight their main was actually cooked you would think they would give a higher score then they did the Victorians.

Manu scored the entree a 5, main a 7, and dessert a 9

Pete gave the entree a 6, main a 6, and dessert a 8. Which meant a total of 72 and they are now in the lead.

I am loving that the scores are so close with two points between first and last. However I am also hoping the two Victorian teams have to go head to head in the elimination cook off.

1 seepi { 02.17.11 at 6:59 am }

How could they make an entire dinner with no vegies???

– actually the Greek Come Dine with Me was all meat meals too. yuck. stodge city.

That said, the girls deserved higher marks last night – everything cooked well, and no disasters. How nervous did they look at the end!

2 Darryl { 02.17.11 at 9:26 am }

My initial thought was Holly looks about 18. Agree with smiling assassin comments for the hippies. Obviously the teams don’t know what the individuals states vote otherwise there would be more friction

3 Wurstsemmel { 02.17.11 at 12:40 pm }

The hippies are a joke. How transparent. 5? Same mark as for the Vic team who didn’t even serve a cooked main? I thought the judges were a little harsh too as in their scores were reasonably close to those given to an uncooked main. Seeing Pete’s lamb dish was inedible, I can’t see how he could have given the Victorian team a 4 anyway. I was expecting 1 or 2.
One thing favourable about the current Vic team is that there at least out there with their comments…not such the hippy hippy shakers.

Sadly, RR, Manu did not sexy once although I have also developed some fascination with the way he says beautiful.

4 Chris { 02.17.11 at 12:57 pm }

I have actually been to Restaurants that don’t include Veggies, and if you don’t ask or check, you end up with the meat and pototoes only.
As for all the cheeses, that would have been a problem for anyone like me who doesn’t like too much cheese.

Mel & James who???……… Now I remember the bossy blonde!!!

5 PollyB { 02.17.11 at 2:11 pm }

oooh, can’t help it – I hope Ash & Kelly come last, I hope the first Victorian team whoop their arse. On a positive, perhaps Ash is watching himself on TV and using it as a personal development exercise?! Doubt it, he supports Collingwood FC!!!

6 Sourkraut { 02.17.11 at 2:55 pm }

Bad Child. No vegies tut f-ing tut! Well they could have served YUCK beetroot soup! Seepi dont be such a food snob. Stodge city indeed! just because there was no bucket of mixed veg does not make beautifully cooked pork Stodge! I remember one episode where manure said “oh this looks like meat and 3 veg”, after someone (I think it was the QLDers in the first group served som eplain vegies with the main course They probably thought that if they did not have time to prepare some poncey french sauce with the veg they would be better off not doing them and thus avoid manus sarcastic coment again. Cmon get consistent.
Also another pair of young bimbos with a mansion. I can guess why the nsw pair had access to a multi million dollar mansion, but cmon, are the wages of policewomen in Tasmania that good?
I dislike the Victorian guy, and the WA princess (although she at least liked the mousse, which for a non dessert person such as I even looked yummy), I also dislike the so -called hippies, (hopefully if they make the next round they will get to cook last so the others can give them some well deserved revenge scores)
That is the trouble with this show, the order of who cooks when can make a huge difference to the results, and NO I dont have a clue how to fix that.

7 Liana { 02.17.11 at 3:10 pm }

Who do the Qld hippies think they are giving a score of 5 both times.
Just cause they work in hospitality they think they know all about food, but sorry guys you are not chefs. Desperate to win I say

8 Chris { 02.17.11 at 3:18 pm }

@SourKraut, How about the couples still doing their voting like they do, and when it comes to the Judges they can give their score, which gives the contestants at least an insight into how they ‘ve performed, and tell them they will receive the contestants scores after the last person has cooked. We still know of course, just not the contestants. I can’t think of anything else that could fix this revenge voting.

9 Jeb { 02.17.11 at 4:11 pm }

Thought the tas girls came across as really likeable. I reckon in with a shot.

In reality who cares about veg beyond it just being something you just have to have on your plate. That said silly mistake to make.

Funny how i reckon holly is actually funny and totally knows she was playing the princess. Expect the facade to drop more and for her to become endearing. Maybe. Total reverse for the urban hippies. What a couple of pretenders. Go back to the eating from the flower pot if real food is too heavy for you.

And as for the vic couple – how cool are they!? Loved it when the nsw boys asked him about the voting and there was a bit of aggression. if i was at that table i’d be geeing him up all night to see if he explodes. Can easily see the cook-off turning into a vic local derby.

Can’t help but think that the self-vote will soon bite the show on the arse. I can see the intent with almost making it a moral dilemna for the lowest contestant whether they score honestly but someone is going to take the bait sooner or later and score lower and that won’t be fair. Actually the hipsters are doing that already and trying to not make it explicit (pretty bloody obvious though)

10 sourkraut { 02.18.11 at 1:17 pm }

Chris
Agree that would be a better way to score more fairly but still not ideal. I also still think the jedges have to be more consistent either with their verbal previews (thus pre-anticipating their scores to come) or with their scores themselves. If someone served me raw meat on a plate I would bark and call for Rover to come and get it under the table, yet it scored almost the same as a perfectly cooked piece of pork sans vegies (STODGE ALERT OH DEAR ME!) by one of the judges. Likewise how is beetroot soup double perfection (ie infinitely better than) lovely Tassie scallops (Ok so the balls were cheesey, at least in South Park chef would have given it a ten) Yes consistency, common sense in comparing the level of apples with apples across the whole contest is needed. Yes they are human, but they claim to be food critics, so they should be able to get it right at the same level as sports referees, and MOST of the time they are ok.

11 Reality Raver { 02.18.11 at 2:17 pm }

Seepi – the veges seemed an obvious oversight. Also the rules must be you must plate up. So you cannot put a bowl of veges or salad on the table.

Darryl – now if they could see the others scores now that would be interesting indeed.

Wurstsemmel – Manu knows how to bring the sexy.

Chris – like your scoring idea

Darryl – my initial thought was Holly was 12 and the show had morphed into junior MKR

Polly B – yes he is coming across as super douche

Sourkraut – I cannot stop laughing at “Manure” that is superb.

Liana – I think you are right.

JEb – you could be right about Holly

12 Yozza { 02.18.11 at 4:02 pm }

You’re all so judgmental, love to see you in their position. Really.

13 Yozza { 02.18.11 at 4:02 pm }

Reality raver needs spell check and a grammar check before posting. There are so many mistakes in the original post.

14 Jeb { 02.18.11 at 5:06 pm }

@ yozza

great contribution. glad i get email updates for that one.

and hey as long as it’s understandable who cares about spelling besides passive aggressive point-scorers? Haha sorry that actually sounds more judgemental than usual

15 Chris { 02.18.11 at 7:22 pm }

Yozza – They are in that posittion because they APPLIED. Most Normal people wouldn’t apply, it’s not easy finding ‘a couple who can both cook really well.
If they can’t stand the heat (comments) they should get out of the kitchen

16 Izobel2 { 02.19.11 at 9:51 am }

@ Yozza… You don’t like how the commenters are ‘judgemental’ but you’re happy to be judgemental about Reality Raver’s spelling??? I personally couldn’t give a crap about her spelling, I’m in awe how she finds the time to post about everything I love to watch, and I love the fact that I can read this site everyday to find out the latest views of the readers.

17 Christine { 02.19.11 at 2:26 pm }

@ Izobel 2…. Totally agree with your comments, I sometimes used to wonder if Reality Raver was Male or Female, so that’s cleared that up for me , thanks.
Now lets see…. Punctuation… check, spelling …check

18 Reality Raver { 02.19.11 at 11:10 pm }

Yozza – yes spelling and grammar can be an issue, however normally I am tired so don’t proof read as well as I should.
I think what the producers actually want us to do is be judgemental and have opinions, otherwise why would they have official forums and fan pages on Facebook. In a sense that is the whole point of reality TV.
Yes it can be crappy when you get a bad edit, or dud out as you will inevitably get negative comments.

Izobel2 – thanks for the lovely comments.

Christine – I think some readers got a shock a few years ago when I announced I would be off line for a few days having a baby.

19 davsimp { 02.20.11 at 4:22 pm }

The Tassie gals did quite well I thought, except for a couple of minor hiccups. Ginger beer on arrival was lame, as everyone was tongueing for a champers. Also they shouldnt have announced that they would continue to top everyone’s drinks up, then leave them to fend for themselves whilst they headed straight into the kitchen. It’s too hard to manage the drinks when both people are needed in the kitchen to prepare and cook the food, best to let the guests help themselves.

Looking forward to seeing the NSW boys cook on Monday night. They seem to have a bit of a Hamish and Andy thing going on. I hope they are funny in the kitchen, I could do with a laugh. The others all seem to take themselves a bit too seriously.

20 MyJoe { 02.21.11 at 12:58 pm }

Holly comes across as such a wannabe pretentious snob when, to see her eating, she holds her cutlery like the guy from Masterchef (not an ounce of etiquette) and shovels her food from her fork. Such a try-hard bogan.

21 ToniTones { 02.21.11 at 5:38 pm }

I always love it when the couples/contestant (in CDWM) who are the most critical fail when it comes to their night. I’ve always had issues with the inconsistent scoring from the judges – seriously it was raw meat, they should’ve scored 2 or 3.
I can’t wait for WA’s turn. I think under pressure Holly is going to crack and show that she is an obnoxious little brat that she really is. I think poor mum is going to cop a bit of abuse in the kitchen…
RR I love your blog, and I love reading the comments left by your regular readers, I always find myself shouting out in agreement with yours and your commenters opinions. You make reality tv so much more fun.
Like Izobel2 said, I don’t know how you find the time to post (especially just after the show) as well living/running your ‘real’ life.

22 Reality Raver { 02.21.11 at 8:10 pm }

ToniTones – It is the great, funny, well thought out comments that all the readers leave that keep me motivated. So a big thank you to you all.