My Kitchen Rules – The Nice South Australian Pair Tank

Ann-Marie and Nick had taken her inspiration for dessert from South Park tonight. Basically her chocolate risotto ice cream balls were a disaster in concept  and execution.

I also thought it was strange the South Australian couple had decided to have rice in their gumbo, and dessert.

This couple have been polite and nice dinner guests, but I suppose I would call them a little bland on TV.

The entree was stuffed prawn, scallop with Parsnip Puree, Calamari, and Oyster.

The Surf and Turf  Gumbo for main , and Chocolate Risotto Balls for dessert.

Pete Evans was concerned about the number of components on the entree plate, and he was correct. There were a number of issues with the dish. The brine had been washed off the oysters, then they had been seasoned, and the scallops were raw.

The real surprise was world traveller and gourmet in her mind, Holly not liking oysters. Even her mother looked underwhelmed at this revelation.

Bill and Alex hit the nail on the head when they said that considering they are on an cooking/eating show then eating oysters even if they are raw is pretty standard.

It wasn’t all lovey dovey newly weds in the kitchen, Ann-Marie were getting pissed off  with Nick for stuffing about  Nick’s dawdling over getting the crab meat out of the crabs.

The Gumbo was spicy, so the guy from the urban hippies couldn’t eat it.  Apparently he sweats. I think he took one taste of it. But it did not seem to effect the score they gave them.

Manu looked like he was gagging. “I am sweating, it is hot” he said. Ladies use that line as you think fit. However he did like the dish.

The Gumbo got a mixed reception, Kerry from WA said it was disappointing compared to ones she had tasted in the US.

However the Tasmainan girls liked the main.

What I don’t get is why people continue to make dishes they have never tried before on the show. The crumbs had fallen off, and the ice cream melted away.  Pete thought the icecream to rice ratio was wrong, but thought it tasted like a grown up chocolate crackle.

The scores  from the teams were NSW a 7, Qld a 6, Tas a 7, WA a 5, Vic gave a 5.

Manu gave the entree a 6, main a 8, and dessert, a 3.

Pete gave the entree a 5,  main a 8, and dessert a 5.

This was a grand total of 65 and they are now in last place. However, Kelly and Ash were pretty happy with the score as it meant they avoided being in the elimination cook off.

1 AnnyB { 02.22.11 at 10:59 pm }

Like yourself RR I wonder what is it with this ‘I haven’t cooked this before’. For heavens sake do a bit of testing and planning beforehand.

Regarding the WA flake (Holly?) for some reason she reminds me of the comedian Judith Lacey; and how many times did she state, ad nauseum, that she didn’t like oysters – at least 5.

Oh one more thing….thanks to Manu and Peter we now have the contestants emulating them by putting their noses as close to the dish as possible. So funny.

2 Rosie { 02.22.11 at 11:10 pm }

Memo to WA daughter:
Grownups simply don’t eat food they don’t like, such as oysters. They politely leave it on the plate. Trying to eat it and terrifying everyone else into thinking you are about to projectile hurl all over them? Not recommended.

3 Liberty { 02.22.11 at 11:29 pm }

You can always tell when the judges are under-impressed by a dish. Manu fails to say Bon appétit!

Ma and daughter need to put on a PERFECT meal tomorrow. They’ve built themselves up so much, that I expect nothing less!

So who’s the best of the worst Ann-Marie and Nick or Kane and Lee?

4 Christine { 02.23.11 at 2:37 am }

It is so long ago (to me anyway) I can’t remember what happened so badly with Kane & Lee.
Unless Holly and Mother do really bad tomorrow, I don’t know who will end up losing. Both haven’t been revenge voters, but my money (after tonight) is with Kane and Lee.

What on earth was the top that Holly was wearing about, it looked awful…

5 Reality Raver { 02.23.11 at 6:11 am }

Anny B – I hadn’t thought about the contestants putting the nose to the plate thing. But you are right.

Rosie – Holly must be an only child as she is sooo attention seeking.

Liberty – I think Kane and Lee, however I still think the worst dish was the raw lamb by Kelly and Ash

Christine – Holly is the female version of Dorian Gray.

6 C J { 02.23.11 at 8:40 am }

RR- I like to think of Holly as female Benjamin Button. She is dressing (and eating – manners and palate) more and more like my 4 year old as the series goes on. If she makes it to the final they’ll be bringing in a high chair.

I’m in a snarky mood at the moment so may regret the tone of this comment later…

Think the SA house was definitely their residence – nothing says 90’s architecture like a curved glass brick wall. As for the top – indidnt think it looked bad but was waiting for the billowy sleeves to be covered in gumbo.

Loved Manu’s …. comment about presenting a new dish being the fastest way to get kicked out. Wonder if urban hippy would confess his virgin tea smoking or the nsw boys their 1st time pheasant dishes in light of this?

As for the smelling of the dish – I thought Holly was going to ditch her poorly used cutlery and chow down face first she got so close to the
plate.

All in all I got the sense that they were better than the score reflected. But I do think that dessert looked awful.

Looking forward to “cool, calm and collected” tonight. In my fantasies Mum will be sipping sherry as coping mechanism and be untidy by dessert and Holly will have melt down a la the toddler I have compared
her to. And I do hope Holly wears an alice band, Cardigan, ballet flats AND has either a flower or bow stuck on it somewhere. If she does I am going to win a bet.

7 Chels { 02.23.11 at 10:19 am }

I can’t believe that Ann- Marie and Nick received the lowest scores.. I know the desert looked bad, but honestly, what is worse than serving raw lamb? I don’t get it.

8 Jasmin { 02.23.11 at 10:41 am }

The dessert looked bad.

If you are going to serve balls, serve one or three – not two, and definitely not with a brown chocolate smear underneath.

I went to a two hat restaurant last week and they did a long chocolate smear underneath a big chocolate blob – it looked almost as unappetising as last nights dessert.

The gumbo looked lovely, and whilst the entree wasn’t cooked (or prepared) correctly, it was presented really nicely.

9 Jasmin { 02.23.11 at 11:03 am }

I also loved the NSW contestant’s quote, “My balls…. are great”

Great editing, MKR.

10 Wurstsemmel { 02.23.11 at 11:10 am }

If Manu is sweating, he should feel free to take off as many clothes as necessary. I won’t mind.

That dessert was a ‘what the?’ from the moment it was first described. The concept was odd, it looked terrible on the plate although gave many opportunities for lewed commentary and I can’t believe Pete gave it a 5.

That said, again, their food was at least cooked (odd scallop aside). They do make for more boring viewing so, from that point of view, I’d be quite happy to see them go.

11 Wurstsemmel { 02.23.11 at 11:11 am }

PS Should hastily add that if the Hippie Guy is also sweating….the same invitation most certainly does not extend to him.

12 brain dead dave { 02.23.11 at 4:01 pm }

It’s hard for the couple trying to create an atmosphere of high class elegance when Ash is guzzling straight from the bottle. His keg party skills weren’t makin’ it.

13 davsimp { 02.23.11 at 4:50 pm }

“Kelly and Ash were pretty happy with the score as it meant they avoided being in the elimination cook off” understatement of the year RR, Ash was creaming his jeans at the fact he was no longer on the bottom. Damnit all, I was hoping the pair of them would be!!
True about the rice overload and the dessert was unforgivable but that gumbo was arsekickin.
Let’s see what the plate-inhaling oyster-gagging world-traveller has to offer up tonight. I take it mum will be driving around to the shops as you need to be 17 in WA to get a drivers license.

14 Littlepetal { 02.23.11 at 5:30 pm }

Wonder what car they will be in??? There is something about Holly that I can’t pin point. Maybe is her dressing. Every time I look at her, it remind me of a different era, maybe in the 1930s.

15 davsimp { 02.23.11 at 7:47 pm }

She could be going for the Allison Reynolds look, Ally Sheedy’s character in The Breakfast Club. Snowflakes chance in hell of pulling it off though.

16 Anon { 02.23.11 at 10:27 pm }

I think with the Alice-bands Holly is trying to channel the character Blair from Gossip Girl.

17 Reality Raver { 02.23.11 at 10:44 pm }

Anon – Oh my god snap – I just posted a blog that said exactly that.

Davisimp – Actually she does look a bit like Ally Sheedy. I thought I noticed a ring on her finger do you think she is engaged?

Wurstsemmel – LOL I agree with your sweat policy.

CJ – surely you must have won the bet.

Chels – I think in hindsight people scored the Vic couple too high. The main component of their main dish was inedible.

Davisimp – Cannot wait for Ash to have an explosion in the kitchen, as you just know it is going to happen.

Little Petal – She dresses very conservatively. The mum was driving an Aldi.

Jasmin – it was the worst dessert on the show ever.