My Kitchen Rules – More Like My Kitchen Tanks

Holly is the Blair Waldorf of the My Kitchen Rules competition including head bands, and an air of entitlement.

Tonight it was mother and daughter team, Kerry and Holly’s, turn to cook. They had a British Raj theme, including Swarovski crystals. However the restaurant was called Cardamon, and I am unsure whether what they had put on the menu was from the time of the British Raj. Would pesto have been served anywhere in the British Empire when it was at its peak?

Entree was Lamb and fennel crepes with relish and pesto. Main was pan fried snapper and smoked trout sausage, and dessert was creme caramel with raspberry sorbet.

They had a calamity when they thought the stove top was not working, and they never really recovered their equilibrium after that.

Kerry looked like she was in some sort of nightmare, and was freaking out more than Holly. She was cocking up the creme caramel, burning them four times.

The lamb crepes were a bit weird, but then I am anti-savoury crepe as I have never had a good one.

Manu thought the lamb were a bit dry and thought the pesto was over powering the flavours.

Bill and Alex from NSW crack me up with their comments to camera. About the entree they said they thought it was rude to leave anything on the plate if it is edible and you are hungry.

The main did not look very appetising, even though the concept was interesting. Also it must have been a long wait for the main as they were still doing a lot of prep in the kitchen after the entree.

When quizzed by Pete Evans whether they had cooked it before, they both admitted that they had not cooked all the components together before. What is wrong with these people? You are going on a national cooking show – practice…

Manu thought the sausage was dry, however Tasmania liked the sausage.

Which brings me to ramikins used for dessert. Kerry bought twelve new ones the day before and they were metal not porcelain.

Four batches and then she was going to make a large one until Manu stepped in as he probably wanted to get back to the hotel,  and told her to serve the ones she had.

Actually the episode highlight was when Manu said “I would like to take my jacket off and put my chef shirt to help” .

The creme caramel were not consistent in size or flavour.

I know people liked the raspberry sorbet but I thought it was a weird combination.

Pete said his too eggy,  Manu thought it was over cooked. The episode could have been called My Kitchen Tanks.

Qld gave a 5, Vic gave a 4, Tas a 6, NSW gave a 6, SA gave a 5 for a total of 26 the lowest of the team scores.They knew they were walking the plank and facing the cook off.

Manu gave the entree a 4, main a 4, and dessert a 7.

Pete gave the entree a 4, main a 4, and for dessert a 6.

For a grand total of 55. It was a wipeout. Holly admitted to feeling very embarrassed.

It was then time for the cook off , which was to be their signature dish.

Kane and Lee cooked thai chicken curry with coconut rice, and Kerry and Holly did pork fifty five ways.

Kane and Lee were having issues with the flavour of the curry and started chucking chillis in.

Pete love WA’s pork and said it was spectacular.  But thought the presentation was too try hard.

Manu thought the pear needed to be cooked longer.

Manu thought the eggplant and carrot of Kane and Lee’s was undercooked, however Pete thought it was the best dish they Victorian couple had cooked in the competition.

Kerry and Holly were scored 14.

However Kane and Lee scored 16. Kerry and Holly from WA were eliminated.

They were both upset, and the competition will be a bit duller without them.

1 Injera { 02.23.11 at 10:58 pm }

I thought the same about the British Raj theme that went… nowhere. Was hoping Pete would say “couldn’t taste the cardamom” after each element. Surely they could’ve at least thrown a sop to the theme and called the relish a chutney.

2 kylie { 02.23.11 at 11:07 pm }

hey what a great description of the show! I was out and missed the episode so your run-down was fantastically informative – thankyou!!!!!

3 Littlepetal { 02.23.11 at 11:19 pm }

Why do they get 7 hours for shopping and cooking and extra time for setting up of the tables ??? Luckily they are gone or else not very fair.

If they called their Instant Restaurant Cardamon they should be cooking Indian.

4 Reality Raver { 02.23.11 at 11:28 pm }

Injera – LOL that would have been hilarious if Pete had done that.

Kylie – Thank you for commenting. Much appreciated

Little Petal -I thought it may have been they live on the outskirts of Perth.

5 Peter G @ Souvlaki For The Soul { 02.23.11 at 11:41 pm }

Ok…long time lurker but first time commenter! I thought tonight was hilarious. Even though they tanked on the actual cooking part they really made good dinner guests. Can you imagine them at a dinner party? Too much! Your commentary regarding Holly and her “I’ve travelled” statements throughout the series had me im hysterics! I enjoy your blogs (especially on cooking shows) . Keep up the good work. I can’t wait for Masterchef!

6 Reality Raver { 02.23.11 at 11:45 pm }

Peter G – Thank you so much for reading, and I am also looking forward to Masterchef this year. I think MKR is much improved over last year.

7 Daisy { 02.24.11 at 1:32 am }

Panicking over hot plate not working; she had 8! And who readily has 4 doz eggs at home being that she did the dessert 4 times?
That painful child Miss Madam thought she knew more than her mother; thank goodness we don’t have to listen to that moany voice of hers anymore Miss Woman of the World – and a dose of humility never went astray; hope she learns from it – least she took the heat off Mel for a bit lol – wonder with the life of TV and editing if the scores are rigged by the judges as to who stayed in the final cook off – hmmm

8 Ellie (Almost Bourdain) { 02.24.11 at 9:58 am }

The WA team is over ambitious and over complicated the dishes. They did bring excitement to the show. Will miss them after their departure.

9 seepi { 02.24.11 at 12:11 pm }

I missed most of it too – pity – it sounds great. I do find the judging part a bit excruciating tho, as the chef couples stand there nearly crying from stress.

Also the sudden death cok-off was very very Mastercheffy.

And holly was wearing an alice band, flowr and cardi – how did you know???

10 Wurstsemmel { 02.24.11 at 12:35 pm }

Into Masterchef territory now. Didn’t Manu even say ‘You’re cooking for your lives?’, a sentence straight out the mouth of George.

What I don’t understand about the WA team is that having been told they were overcomplicating things, they did it again at the cook off. Or maybe they had to submit their signature dishes ahead of their instant restaurant fiasco?

Compare the environment they were cooking in with all that stove top space to the Tasmanian sisters who seemed to have a tiny stove.

Oh well…at least we won’t have to see Holly gagging on an oyster again.

11 C J { 02.24.11 at 12:45 pm }

Cardigan. Ballet flats. Flower. Alice Band.

I have won my bet. Did not predict that they would be out by the end if the night though.

RR – love your typo on other post that the mum was driving an Aldi – I think that’s the antithesis of an Audi.

12 Darryl { 02.24.11 at 1:35 pm }

Holly reminds me of Rachel in Glee – demanding, whiny, spoilt brat. Had to laugh with Mum being the potty mouth

13 PollyB { 02.24.11 at 2:49 pm }

In reference to Wurstsemmel comments, didn’t Pete (I think) punch his hand, also a la Georgie, whilst saying start cooking? I’d hope these two had a bit more integrity than that.
It must have been a bloody good curry. I mean, how hard is a good curry to cook if you sell yourself as a ‘foodie’?

14 Reality Raver { 02.25.11 at 7:47 am }

Daisy – good point about the eggs, and also all that milk and cream as well.

Ellie – Maybe they thought if they pulled it off they would get good marks.

Seepi – the show is even going to get more mastercheffy when cook out on location.

Wursts – I think at the start of the series they would have had to submit their signature dish with ingredients required that could be cooked in a 90 min timeframe. Or there was a day between the scene where Holly and Kerry were revealed to be in the bottom and had to face a cook off.
And the teams had to submit a recipe with ingredients and then cooked the next day.

CJ – Aldi is my spiritual home land so probably had it on the brain.

Darryl – I kind of liked Kerry more when she was not as composed.

Polly B – How many cooking lines can there be for all these cooking shows. I thought both these shows had script writers anyway.

15 PollyB { 02.25.11 at 9:15 am }

RR – I realise these shows are scripted, but I would expect the ‘stars’ of the show to baulk at being expected to parrot the words and actions of their culinary colleagues, their competitors in the entertainment industry. Everyone has their nuances, no reason why the producers couldn’t develop Pete’s and Manu’s, as MC producers did of their ‘stars’.

16 Reality Raver { 02.25.11 at 9:38 am }

Polly B – agree – Manu’s should be “make sure you make some sexy and beautiful food”.

17 PollyB { 02.25.11 at 10:39 am }

Ooh, yes RR, agree wholeheartedly!

18 Wurstsemmel { 02.25.11 at 1:42 pm }

Perhaps they meant to call their restaurant ‘Cardimom’

19 Reality Raver { 02.26.11 at 2:41 am }

Wurstsemmel – Cardimom I love it.

20 Angie { 02.27.11 at 5:11 pm }

Talking about getting a well-deserved dose of humility! After weeks of watching the brat brag about her food knowledge and look down her snout at others’ efforts she did the worst out of everyone! And please ditch the headband!!!!