Ajay Rochester Is Broke In Beverly Hills

When Ajay Rochester was sacked from The Biggest Loser, she decided to try her luck overseas in Los Angeles. Her aim was to appear on the Oprah show, and has been auditioning for other roles.

However Ajay this week told Woman’s Day she was broke, and the move has been a bit of a disaster.

Here are some snippets from the article:
Ajay is unable to put food on the table or find work.

“…In terms of finances I have pretty much hit rock bottom.”

“Within hours of landing in LA, not only had the TV deal I had hoped to secure fell through, but we were homeless too.”

“I had decided to sub-let an apartment and handed the last of our savings, $8000, to the guy we were renting it from.

“…the guy pocketed it and ran off to Mexico.”

Since then Ajay has struggled to find any employment, despite applying for 50 jobs. But she refuses to give up on her Hollywood dream  – a dream she believes will ultimately provide the best future for her son, who has aspergers and attends a special school.

“This is not the time to be proud, and so I have applied for jobs ranging from checking nits in kids hair, to doing the nightshift in the laundry in a sports club. I even did a couple of days as a brickie for a friend who is a labourer.”

“…I can’t even land the most menial jobs because as soon as they find out who I am they just say to me ‘Why would you want this job? We cannot even consider you as you are far too qualified.’ It has been soul destroying.”

Ajay says she goes hungry on a daily basis.
“I try and hide how poor we are from Kai, but he is 11 and not stupid. Every night when he says to me ‘Mum why are you not having any dinner?’ I just tell him I have eaten before he got home from school.”

“…for the last eight months I have survived on barely more then rice and potatoes. She has also put on 10 kgs in the last 10 months.

“No more am I the glamorous, sucessful TV host, but instead I am back to being the washed up, overweight nobody.”

I am not sure I believe the bit about not being able to get a job because she is recognised in the US. Who would know who she was?

1 librarygirl { 02.25.11 at 10:59 am }

So why doesn’t the silly woman come home?
Talk about deluded.

2 Paul { 02.25.11 at 11:05 am }

Going hungry yet has put on 10kgs ?????

3 JaniceG { 02.25.11 at 11:07 am }

I doubt that anyone in the US would actually recognize her but presumably she would have put her past employment on her CV. Employment managers are indeed usually reluctant to hire someone very overqualified for a position, for the very good reason that the person is likely to quit a more menial job the minute they find something more suited to their experience.

4 brain dead dave { 02.25.11 at 11:37 am }

She could come back and try out for Conviction Kitchen..

5 Lea { 02.25.11 at 12:13 pm }

I believe it … they know because she tells them, probably has it on her resume, and tells them in interviews etc. She could be as anonymous as she liked, but she’s obviously a bit deluded IMO …

6 Littlepetal { 02.25.11 at 12:26 pm }

So you can even put on weight by being hungry all the time ????? When was she the glamorous TV host. She need to get her brain check

7 Izobel2 { 02.25.11 at 1:29 pm }

BDD – you never fail to crack me up!

8 Sares { 02.25.11 at 1:29 pm }

Hmmmfff, i have never liked this woman and this has just confirmed why…
She says “this is not a time to be proud” and how she needs to consider the welfare of her 11 yr old. OK then why don’t you give up this LaLa land nonsense and come back home where you have a far better chance of getting a job and providing for him.
Or is “real work” just too hard for a former centrelink cheat?!

9 Wurstsemmel { 02.25.11 at 1:36 pm }

BDD. We’re not worthy, we’re not worthy. If there’s a quip to be had, you’ve put it out there way ahead of everyone else. LMAO

Overqualified? For what? Rorting Centrelink? This woman needs a reality check. Sounds like she could be getting one but doesn’t seem like she’s taking anything on board.

Risking all for the big Hollywood break at 40? Deluded is the word.
Best thing would be to pack up, bring her son home and try and build some solid future here where she’s got more opportunity.

10 Chels { 02.25.11 at 1:58 pm }

… Hasn’t she always been a washed up, overweight nobody?

11 Lucy { 02.25.11 at 6:33 pm }

Call me naive, but what the hell has she done with all her prior earnings? She did two or three seasons on Biggest Loser? Plus previous docos for SBS. Plus she has had two or three books published. What has she done with it all to be so utterly broke now?

(And I agree with the other comments – how can you stack on a kilo a month on but be hungry? Ahhhhh, that’d be Maccas…….)

12 Reality Raver { 02.25.11 at 9:26 pm }

Library Girl – maybe she thinks she won’t get work here.

Paul – maybe she is exaggerating, but probably eating crap

Janice – I would think LA would have a lot of out of work actors/performers doing menial jobs. I would think she would trouble getting someone to look after Kai while she worked.

BDD – hilarious now get over to The Biggest Loser thread and tell me what I need to know…

Lea – take it off your resume if it is an issue.

Little Petal – she probably remembers when she was more polished.

Izobel2 – agree

Sares – maybe she needs to think about re-training. Or doing a stand up comedy routine about hwo hard it was making it in LA. I think that is what she started out doing.

Wurstsemmel- yes maybe go to Uni she is not stupid.

Chels – she did have her 15 minutes.

Lucy – I suspect it was all spent. No regular income gets spent quickly.

13 brain dead dave { 02.27.11 at 3:12 pm }

Thanks for the kind words ,folks.I’ve been to the Loser blog just now,RR.

14 Liberty { 02.27.11 at 5:10 pm }

BDD – hilarious!

Was this a paid interview with WD?

The silly woman has always had tickets on herself. I remember in her Loser days, she complained bitterly about the long hours. Delusions of grandeur?

15 wallah { 02.28.11 at 9:35 am }

Cheap tacos at Del Taco will stack that weight right on. Plus, she may have to declare any past criminal convictions when she looks for a job, and outside of showbiz, they ain’t so forgiving about prior fraudulent behaviour. Maybe she should have realised that 1000’s of girls half her age move to LA every year dreaming of stardom and end up on, ahem, “direct to DVD” releases. And I’d reckon a few of them had already been in reality tv shows themselves

16 Cascadia { 06.17.11 at 4:12 pm }

A lot of folks know Ajay from TBLAUS. The show is aired on a lot of the lifestyle networks here and we love Ajay. I’m very sad to hear she is struggling so. People who struggle with their weight often struggle with their finances. Usually you lose control of most of your life and it is not surprising that she had trouble with her finances. People should really be more forgiving. Everyone makes mistakes. I hope others are kinder to you than you are being to Ms. Rochester.