Margaret Fulton Blasts Masterchef Australia And Matt Preston

Was Margaret Fulton not asked to be on Masterchef Australia this series? As this spray she gives the show and the judges seems extremely petty.

Considering her appearances on the show raised her profile to a whole new generation and treated her like a cooking icon and probably gave her the Woolworth contract she now has, it would be nice to see her be a little bit grateful.

But no the Sunday Telegraph reports:

COOKING great Margaret Fulton has unleashed on two of Australia’s biggest television programs, My Kitchen Rules and MasterChef, saying contestants cannot cook well and don’t know the basics.

Even the judges don’t escape a roasting.

Fulton has accused MasterChef’s Matt Preston of turning into a “full showman” and says George Calombaris and Gary Mehigan are fixated on earning the same large pay cheque as their cravat-wearing colleague.

Of the cooking couples on the hit Seven Network series My Kitchen Rules, which averages 1.5 million viewers, Fulton said: “I can’t be bothered watching them.

“I’ve seen enough people not cook well. I don’t want to watch people very pleased with what they’re doing but doing everything wrong.”

Fulton also whacked MasterChef, the Network Ten program she has actually starred on as a guest judge.

“What I found on MasterChef when I was on it, some of the basic things the contestants were trying to do – they didn’t know the basic things, such as pastry making,” she said.

The outburst from the 86-year-old came as she launched a new campaign for Woolworths – the supermarket rival of Coles, which sponsors My Kitchen Rules and MasterChef.

As Preston’s popularity on MasterChef grew, so did his personality, she said.

“Matt found the inner showman in himself. Now he’s found the full showman.

“Matt used to be quite a serious food journalist. He is married into a Melbourne family that’s quite conservative, and they couldn’t believe what Matt was up to.

“He’s a nice person, but he’s developing this thing like Bernard King.”

Fulton said King, who starred in the cooking show King’s Kitchen and died in 2002, had become more rude as his success skyrocketed.

Fulton also ripped into Calombaris and Mehigan.

“Matt had every reason to be self-confident, but they – although they have very successful businesses – aren’t as emotionally and mentally intelligent as Matt,” she said.

“Now it has become, ‘How much is he getting paid? If he’s getting that, I want it too.’ “

1 Liss { 03.06.11 at 10:03 am }

Eeep. That reads like an off the record chat that’s turned into an on the record freelance journos dream!

2 scruffnkelsmum { 03.06.11 at 10:13 am }

she has a point, esp re the over the top antics of the judges on Masterchef!!! I also query some of the contestants cooking knowledge, but meh….they are giving it a go! I just hate all the false drama on both shows, but more so on Masterchef. Matt Preston has become waaay too big for his boots- he is a caricature these days!

3 Duke Nukem { 03.06.11 at 10:42 am }

i think she just sounds offended that the drama element bears more weight than actual cooking skills.
i know that when i’m 86 i’ll also be complaining about the youth of today…

4 MelbaToast { 03.06.11 at 11:10 am }

What a snarky interview. The shows are just a bit of fun and entertainment for the viewers. I’ll still watch masterchef this year.

5 Mandi { 03.06.11 at 12:05 pm }

I agree with Liss. When I read it in this morning’s paper I really thought it sounded like an off-the-record chat/guess-what I-overhead-in-the-bathroom that has had a bit of rework and been turned into and ‘interview’. I think her points are totally valid though :)

6 JaniceG { 03.06.11 at 12:48 pm }

“Petty” doesn’t begin to cover it, imho – I think she has a perfect right to comment on the cooking skills on the show, or even its format. However, dissing the hosts the way she did, especially the comments about Gary and George, seems way out of bounds. Seems especially bizarre given that you know she’s going to bump into them at some point, although I guess we know who won’t be asked back as a guest judge next season :->

7 KC { 03.06.11 at 1:13 pm }

Well you know who won’t be on Masterchef this season.

I agree with most of her points but its not going to stop me from watching Masterchef :)

8 Reality Raver { 03.06.11 at 2:58 pm }

Liss – I had not thought she might have thought her opinions were off the record.

Scruffnkelsmum – one of the sentence I find most offensive is “he married into a conservative family in Melbourne and they couldn’t believe what he was up to?” Hellooo Fulton is no Rockefeller.

Duke Nukem – But she was part of the drama herself. That is what I don’t get.

Melba Toast – exactly they are entertainment, with the occasional good cooking thrown in.

Mandi – I think what are the basics of cooking these days? Maybe pastry isn’t it, but a good stir fry is.

Janice G the points about George and Gary were just downright snarky. Also why shouldn’t they want the same pay as the other one. Gee in my workplace I want the same money as the person doing the same job as me.

KC – my theory is she isn’t on and she is not happy about it. I wonder if she will watch it.

9 brain dead dave { 03.06.11 at 3:05 pm }

That was a bit unfair about Bernard King…..he was always rude.

She could have hammered Gary for his serial knife licking and George for his borstal table manners.

10 Anonymous { 03.07.11 at 8:41 am }

“treated her like a cooking icon”

She *is* a cooking icon. And was, decades before this tellie show.

And I think, when you’re 86 you’re allowed to say what you actually think.

11 scruffnkelsmum { 03.07.11 at 9:26 am }

anonymous….totally agree!

12 Anonymous { 03.07.11 at 11:28 am }

Constructive criticism, bring it on. Snippiness, who cares? And kind of two-faced when you were part of the show yourself. Funny, now MF is representing the competition who have ties to neither show.

Age doesn’t give you a free licence to say what you think. In fact, at 86, changes to the brain mean you don’t filter what you say as well as you used to.

13 Anonymous { 03.07.11 at 11:29 am }

And obviously buying fully into her own iconic status.

14 Anonymous10 { 03.07.11 at 12:18 pm }

At 86 – specifically at 86? – looking forward to it.

15 Reality Raver { 03.07.11 at 2:15 pm }

I think she just needs to remember that Masterchef was what brought her back on the radar.

16 Anon { 03.08.11 at 1:08 am }

Phonecall with a distraught Margaret Fulton, v upset abt Sunday piece on MasterChef. Don’t worry MF, we love you & know how you really feel 33 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Matt Preston’s twitter

Interesting…

17 wallah { 03.08.11 at 2:42 pm }

Nobody can screw with Bernard King…watching him rip apart the untalented piece by bitchy piece was, well, tv history. His absence from our screens is akin the absence of Paul Keating from Parliament.

18 sourkraut { 03.14.11 at 1:49 pm }

The further Paul Bleating is from parliament the better Dribbler he was.
Anyhoo everything Margaret F said is true. Why is everyone getting their knickers in a knot?

19 Cookiecrumble { 11.05.11 at 10:17 am }

I have to agree about Gary and his appalling knife licking habits, I thought that table manners would have been part of the chef course, it is extremely bad manners to lick your knife but it seems to be common practice now yuk. yes i did notice that George ‘chomps’, in my world you don’t gorge george! I thought that was just the greek way ! sorry grecians. However everyone needs to lighten up and enjoy the entertainment. I’d really LOVE to chat with the 3 judges,

20 be kind { 04.27.14 at 3:47 pm }

Masterchef has given much joy to all and an 86year old should have learnt how to be kind and not an angry bitter old lady and the three judges do their best an I think they are great