My Kitchen Rules – Cooking For Home And Away

As soon as I saw Mel and James making the blueberry pancakes as their breakfast dish, I knew they would win.

Firstly they were the only ones making a sweet dish for breakfast so that was memorable in itself, and most of the cast members of the Channel 7 soapie are under 20 so this dish spoke to them.

Also any of the other women in the cast probably have not eaten sugar for months and therefore were going to think it was sensational.

The anomaly is the judging of the off site challenges are the winner is picked by the public.

However, the loser is picked by the two judges Manu Feildel, and Pete Evans. Is this the way to ensure the producers can manipulate who is in the bottom two?

For instance again Daniela and Stefania  again avoided the cook off, with a very ordinary Italian breakfast kebab.

When questioned about the simplicity of their dish. Stefania exclaims “Not everyone can cook polenta”.  Yes Stefania everyone CAN cook polenta, it is not that hard and is a mainstream ingredient these days.

Polly B, a regular commenter, pointed out the reason WA have not been put in the bottom two last week is the producers don’t both WA teams eliminated early in the competition. I think she could be right.

Conversely the Polish girls Sammy and Bella stepped it up too far with their egg dish served with three million components, including pea sorbet. I am all for Heston Blummenthal type dishes just not at breakfast.

It was good to have the NSW boys, Bill and Alex, back cooking, just for their to camera pieces. They were hoping to be cooking for Rachael Finch and Jennifer Hawkins, but were smart enough not to make salacious comments about the barely legal Home and Away cast.

Again Kelly and Ashley put in a strong dish with their corn fritters, and I was super impressed with Ali and Esther’s breakfast pho. I mean they even made their own rice noodles. I suspect if the judges picked the winner this would have been it.

Also Ann-Marie and Nick breakfast tortilla was smart and looked delicious.

I liked the idea of Kane and Lee’s congee, however it looked like it had the consistency of risotto rather then the sloppiness of congee.

The butchers maltese sausage and egg tortilla is not my thing, and yes we got it Manu that French sausage is bigger than a maltese one.

The pair judged to have the worse dish of the day was Mal and Bec with haloumi and avocado breakfast burger. For people “who know what people want” they missed the mark. Their confidence of last week burst with Bec sobbing at the prospect of being in the Wednesday night cook off.

1 Littlepetal { 03.07.11 at 10:03 pm }

Didn’t like the look of the congee at all. Just a solid mass of wet rice !!! They should have done a ‘Nasi Lemak’ i.e. Coconut Rice with fish sambal and egg. A normal breakfast dish in Singapore or Malaysia.

2 Jasmin { 03.07.11 at 10:08 pm }

Not sure how many times it has actually appeared overall but lately the show feels a lot like “My Polenta Rules”…

I thought Mel and James would win because of the sweetness factor. Mal and Bec’s probably would have been better with one burger/brioche and a side of something tasty, but it didn’t look like the worst dish.

3 PollyB { 03.07.11 at 11:40 pm }

Yes, why keep these WA girls, once again their food was ‘boring’? Is it because one K Stokes is a sand groper? He is still at 7, yes? Can’t think of anything else, WA doesn’t have the population, and their natives aren’t particularly taken with those of the East. And agree, pancakes for breaky will always win.

I hope the NSW boys start to cook up a storm, they are great value and I’d like to see them win.

4 Kaylen { 03.07.11 at 11:50 pm }

Actually, most of the H&A cast that showed up were over 20… might not look it, I know!

I think there were more crew there than cast, though, also. But pancakes will always win, no matter what. 😀

yumyum, now I feel like some!

5 C J { 03.08.11 at 6:33 am }

I’ve stopped watching. Your recaps are enough for me. I may tune back in later. Did you see the news.com article from Anne Marie commenting on the stress the show caused between her and Nick? Unsurprising as producers must salivate at the thought of husband/wife teams proving them with such obvious editing fodder.

6 Paula { 03.08.11 at 9:13 am }

Boring… I really enjoyed the instant restaurants but not liking this next stage at all.

7 Reality Raver { 03.08.11 at 11:28 am }

CJ no I didn’t see that article in news.com.au I am off to look now.

8 sourkraut { 03.08.11 at 12:54 pm }

I am now convinced tghis show is just as rigged as mastercrap. Pandering to the largest state (= most viewers)
How come the cold mushy peas and potato patties did not get the judges worst score. What a joke! I would love to have seen the Home and away casts votes to see who got the least. BAH HUMBUG!

9 Sares { 03.08.11 at 12:55 pm }

Yup i’d say definitely some “fixing” going on here for WA to escape the bottom again. Their dish looked off. I hate Polenta, italian sausage is way too heavy for breakfast and the frittata looked boring boring boring.
Mind you out of all the offerings yesterday, the only two i would have considered eating for breaky were the blueberry pancakes and the corn fritters.
Oh & am i the only one who gets the feeling that this years lot were picked based on entertainment value and not cooking ability? Alot of the food has been atrocious.

10 AnnyB { 03.08.11 at 5:06 pm }

Not of great importance, but I doubt that this programme was actually made in the morning. Knowing the area, the carriages in the background were in shadows and as they are on the eastern side of the building…..need I say more.

Apart from that, I too think that the show is more for the entertainment value as the cooking abilities which I’m sure some of them have are totally overshadowed by the melodramatics.

11 brain dead dave { 03.10.11 at 4:32 pm }

Didn’t see Alf there….they could have served him a flamin’ galah.