My Kitchen Rules – A Shock Elimination?

Again I am having trouble with the preview disc, I am starting to think it is me. Anyway I got the last ten minutes where the teams were plating up dessert.

From what I could see both of the teams were underwhelming with their cooking flair tonight.

The Qld urban hippies plated up polenta for an entree. It would appear it is this year’s trend on the show. I hope Mal and Bec used instant polenta instead of bothering with the 20 minute version, considering the tight time frame.

Apparently Alex and Bill’s lobster soup was foul, however their duck for main was sensational. The last successful dish these guys made was the pheasant.

Mal and Bec’s lamb was ok, but their dessert of a banana caramel pie was far too sweet, and Alex and Bill’s dessert of baked caramel was over cooked.

With scores of fives and sixes it indicated that neither of them really hit it out of the ball park tonight. But Alex and Bill managed to stay in the competition by one point. But if they don’t step it up they won’t be there much longer.

Also Bill and Alex cried, Bec cried, and also Pete Evans and Manu were welling up. Clearly the hippies were well liked.

I was starting to think Mal and Bec had more potential then the NSW boys.

1 Littlepetal { 03.09.11 at 9:32 pm }

The NSW team cooked by feel. It worked the last time but not tonight. The lobster soup looked terrible. They think they can get away with just adding a bit of this and a bit of that. They need to up the skills if they want to stay on the comp.

2 poisonus { 03.09.11 at 9:49 pm }

I don’t think the judges were fair in their marks today. At the very most, both teams should have gotten the same score and let the cookoff go into an overtime. Either that or keep them around for another week but eliminate 2 teams next week.

I didn’t agree with the judges’ decision for mal & bec to be the bottom of the breakfast challenge to begin with.

It really sucks to see a fairly good team leave when there are teams that are much worse (artie & johnny, daniella & stefania) who are still in the competition.

3 PollyB { 03.09.11 at 9:54 pm }

That was a bit of a shock. NSW fluffed around with no real plan, however, the duck did look awesome, and the QLD banana tart didn’t appear refined really. However, on the whole, both teams did seem to be neck and neck.
And the emotions flowing, some welcome reality.
This is hotting up in respect to second guessing which 2 teams will be manipulated as the ‘worst’ next week. Will QLD be put up so soon?

4 Anonymice { 03.09.11 at 10:09 pm }

Today’s episode…. Guy Grossi on Bec’s desert “the pastry was impeccable” (or to that effect). …

Eat your heart out Margaret Fulton!…(who “can’t be bothered with TV cooks” coz they dont “know the basic things, such as pastry making…”)

5 seepi { 03.09.11 at 10:41 pm }

The banana did look a bit chunky tho.

I was just glad to see Bec get those tarts ready in time. I could not believe their instant restaurant where she made the guests sit around for over an hour while she tried for the perfect tarts.

I wonder if the other contestants were shocked to see the low marks Mal and Bec gave out.

6 sourkraut { 03.10.11 at 1:53 pm }

I missed the last half of the ep, but as i said before the fix is in, neither of the NSW teams will be eliminated despite incompetence, no talent, and boring food, cos they are the largest state with the most viewers.
Just going on what I saw the boys doing with/to the poor lobster made me think they would be gone, until I realised that in this show the team shown to be stuffing up is ALWAYS the one that is safe. Why am I whinging? Cos I cant stand arsey no talent bums prospering at the expense of competent people. I have seen this happen so often now it makes me sick!
“Oh what’ll we do to the lobster to change it from a dog turd and tonic to an orgasmic delight”? I kow lets a little bit of this and a little bit of that and a pinch of bat shit, an eye of newt etc. And “how do we make a cheesecake”? “Dunno Bita this bita that etc etc how arsey can you get?
This series has now lost all credibility if the desired outcome is to determine the best chef!
As Margaret Fulton said, none of them even seem to know the basics about cooking. Aaaahhh reality tv. What a bitch goddess!

7 Honeysnaps { 03.10.11 at 2:11 pm }

The NSW boys really know how to kill a lobster soup! The lobster was cooked well but the judges all thought it tasted like dirty dish water and considering they put a chux cloth in it, I’m not surprised. Manu even enquired if they were using the lobster heads for anything (which they weren’t). This is where all the flavour comes from! I guess they should pay more attention to the judge’s comments if they want to succeed. Very sad to see the urban hippies go but Mal really needed a reality check as he was getting a little cocky after previously winning the people’s choice.

8 Jasmin { 03.10.11 at 2:44 pm }

I missed this episode but I was wondering what happened with the Chux! They have certain smell… Wouldn’t want to eat that soup! And why did they not use the heads to make the stock?? No one seems to listen to the judges when they’re cooking.
I still enjoy watching though – but I can’t predict who’s going to be eliminated next.

9 brain dead dave { 03.10.11 at 4:01 pm }

Hey,it’s a lobster soup. It doesn’t matter what you lob in it, according to those deluded Ken dolls. You can even chuck some Chux in it.
Zey might have well have served it wiza pizz of bread.

10 Reality Raver { 03.11.11 at 2:42 am }

Why would you put chux in the soup? Is this the new sous vide?

Little Petal – I think the NSW boys are not going to last much longer they don’t seem to have a lot of depth.

poisonous – agree it does suck about Mal and Bec going.

Polly B – I wonder if the boys stayed because they are rather amusing on camera or to attract the single girl demographic.

Anonymice – LOL re: Margaret Fulton comment. Maybe Margaret will throw in her lot with MKR.

Seepi – I thought they would get over the line. A five was pretty harsh score.

Sourkraut – just so you know I am going to plagarise that phrase “What a bitch Goddess” for a future blog post. Love it.

Honeysnaps – agree don’t these people watch Masterchef masterclass or other cooking shows, no brainer for shells in a stock.

Jasmin – Chux – I would have refused to taste the soup.

BDD – LOL – how to kill a perfectly good lobster.