My Kitchen Rules – Those QLD Butchers Need To Go

What was that chicken, bacon and cheese pizza the Queensland butchers dished up on the children’s challenge? It was amateur hour. I have seen better on a Dominos catalogue, and even a Junior Masterchef contestant would have been to embarrassed to serve it.

Tonight’s challenge was cooking for kids at the Children Festival in Sydney. I am not sure how fair the vote was as there was no way everybody was going to be able to taste everything. In these challenges you either have to pitch for the popular vote or create a dish that will ensure the judges won’t put you in the elimination challenge.

Stefania and Daniela, and Esther and Ali pitched for the kids with sweet stuff, whilst the Polish girls campaigned for the more sophisticated palate with the salmon and noodles dish.

Nick and Ann Marie picked their market correctly, as the inner city demographic that turns up at the Children’s Festival would have been well happy their sliders were organic.

Unfortunately for them they underestimated the prep time, and the amount they would need to plate up. Also considering only the beef was organic, can you really call it an organic beef slider? If their marriage can stand up to this competition it should last, this pair get extremely snippy with each other.

Ali and Esther were really smart with their dish of chocolate cream puffs. For a team that said they don’t do kids, they seemed to know what would attract them to their stall. The lollies were a child magnet. They girl coppers must have learnt this in their time working in Child Protection Units. I was surprised they did not win the popular vote.

Mel and James played it safe with Spaghetti and Meatballs but then got bitch slapped by the judges by saying there were not enough skills in the dish. I am on Team Mel for this one – they were cooking and being judged by kids.

The Salmon and noodles dish was well liked, by both parents and kids. I wasn’t surprised by this.

The Tassie girls got great feedback from ManuΒ who said the choux pastry was the most technically difficult dish, and it also tasted fantastic.

Peter said the Ash and Kelli’s chicken Burrito dish was clever, and they nailed the presentation.

Bill and Alex did chicken nuggets with two different sauces, Manu thought they had done a great job with it. I am not sure why that is not seen as being more skilled than the spaghetti and meatballs. Is it because they cooked them in an oven.

Inner city Melbourne hipsters Kane and Lee kofta’s did not get good feedback. They were criticised for flavour, and presentation, including using potentially dangerous skewers.

Stefania and Daniela won the popular vote with their Zippole (doughnuts for the layperson), and they did look great. However considering they were meant to plate it with chocolate sauce, and Stefania burnt the sauce twice, it does seem a bit unfair considering this is meant to be a cooking competition.

There was no surprise to anyone, except Artie and Johnny, Β they were up for elimination on Wednesday night. Pete said you put on 7 or 8 ingredients together with no thought about flavour. The boys pretended they understood the criticism.

Also you just know that beneath those ingredients on the pizza was BBQ sauce, and for that they deserve to go.

1 PollyB { 03.15.11 at 8:13 am }

I agree with all your observations, including being on team Mel, and especially about Artie and Johnny, they have no clue. Sounding like a broken record, I’m still suss on WA. Could they have cooked enough doughnuts to get the most votes?

2 sourkraut { 03.15.11 at 8:39 am }

How did plain doughnuts score so high ? BULLDUST (sprinkled on the dnuts in the guise of sugar perhaps?)
Qld pizzas were not that bad, certainly no worse than the crappy looking chicken nuggets the “studs” served up.
The only fair and NON SUSS way to have done the judging would be to reveal ALL the contestants scores and then bone the ones with the lowest scores. I for one am getting sick and tired of the judges favoritisms and biasses and the constant Karping about too many ingredients. Sorry Manu(re) if i buy a pizza I like the super supreme, not a crappy plain Margherita!
Still cant figure out how the Tassy cops did not win, still think the FIX IS ON!

3 AngelSN86 { 03.15.11 at 9:24 am }

I agree, we should’ve seen the breakdown of scores, like in Masterchef. Eg. NSW boys got X votes, Mel and James received Y votes etc etc. That way we can see how close it was. I was surprised that the plain old doughnuts covered in sugar received the most votes. I thought out of the sweet things, the chocolate cream puffs would be far better. They’d be my pick. :)

4 skye { 03.15.11 at 9:30 am }

Someone I know who was at the Children’s Festival said the donuts weren’t actually all that nice, they had a bitterness to them. Her fave was the salmon, her kids liked the chocolate puffs and hated the pizza. She also gave the burriot cups a good review.

5 fiona weir { 03.15.11 at 10:20 am }

if you all think you are so good at judging why arent you on the show.

6 Sares { 03.15.11 at 11:00 am }

Did anyone spot the dodgy editing job last night when showing Daniela and Stefania?
They show their stall with the finished chalk menu board up and then next showed Daniela writing it up. Then later showed Daniela kneading the raw dough and Stefania burning the chocolate and so Daniela wiped the chocolate sauce bit off the board and then later you see Daniela start frying the doughnuts but the board is still as it was before with the chocolate sauce written on it… Dodgy much??!!!!

7 Anonymous { 03.15.11 at 11:03 am }

I find it hard to believe they were the genuine top scorer, but they weren’t ‘plain old doughnuts’. They were potato doughnuts, so presumably a level of skill involved in getting them light and fluffy not lumps of cement.

The spaghetti was packet, the sauce was tinned tomatoes… I can see why they’d not have had the judges’ total approval for that effort.

8 davsimp { 03.15.11 at 11:50 am }

I’m with sourkraut on this one. I thought the pizzas were pretty good to be honest. Better than dry balls on a sharp stick. THEY COULD HAVE HAD SOMEONE’S EYE OUT.

Beginning to think the NSW boys were a bit of a one hit wonder with their winning first dish. Nothing since then has really been up to scratch.

9 Kaylen { 03.15.11 at 12:13 pm }

I’m with Anonymous #7 re: comments made. Potato doughnuts? It’s… something I haven’t heard of before, but if they sold it to kids and they loved them? I think they deserve the win. Besides, with the chocolate; it was removed from the menu and the kids never knew about it. So how could it have been taken into account? πŸ˜‰

And am with davsimp on the NSW boys. How disappointing! :( Seems also like it’s a one person team, too. Bill doesn’t seem to do much – shame! Oh well. He looks all studly and that’s all I need. πŸ˜›

nomnomnom.

10 poisonus { 03.15.11 at 12:19 pm }

i actually thought the tassie girls should have won. After all it was a crowd pleaser and a technical dish at the same time.

Even though i am from QLD, i have to admit that it may be time for the QLD boys to go.

11 Reality Raver { 03.15.11 at 12:27 pm }

Polly B – maybe everyone who had them voted for them. Who knows. Yes there does need to be a Price Waterhouse oversight on these things. Maybe Stefania and Daniela found some leftover coins and shoved them in a pig.

Sourkraut – disagree totally on you pizza choice, a good margherita wins hand down on a pizza with the lot. However I must confess I don’t mind pineapple on a pizza.

AngelSN86 – I reckon with kids particularly the young ones they would have voted for the last thing they ate.

Skye – maybe this is doughnut gate

Fiona Weir – we are making our comments from the editing and what the food looks like. That is the point of the reality TV and these shows is to get people engaged and talking about it.

Sares – Missed the dodgy editing job but well spotted.

Anonymous – a hot doughnut can be nice. Re: the spaghetti you have a point, however in the prep time was one hour it was not alot of time for any of the teams. In fact I was impressed with all the teams, particularly the ones who were rolling meatballs and hamburger patties.

12 Reality Raver { 03.15.11 at 12:31 pm }

Davisimp – agree with view on the NSW boys, I think they dodged a bullet, and once the QLD boys get chopped this week, they are going to struggle to stay in the competition.

Kaylen – Which of the NSW boys do you like the best?

Poisonous – I am surprised they didn’t but maybe kids were eating multiple and not everyone tried them.

13 Chunks { 03.15.11 at 12:52 pm }

A zeppoli recipe:
1 lb ricotta
2 tsps vanilla
2 cups flour
Vegetable oil
2 eggs
7 tsps sugar
2 tsps baking powder
Dash of salt
Confectionary Sugar

So just slightly different (as in quite a bit) from donuts.

As for the people cheering on the pizza, well by all means eat a super supreme with everything looking like dog chunder, but don’t call it cooking or cuisine. And as the judges said, where was the flavour? They are not intuitive cooks and that’s been apparent from the first. I’m sure they’re great butchers.

14 sourkraut { 03.15.11 at 1:12 pm }

Chunks
You can be a food snob if you wish, but I’m sorry if a super supreme looks like dog chunder to you then you can just avoid eating them. Fortunately we dont all have the same purist taste in food

15 Chunks { 03.15.11 at 1:18 pm }

Sour, it’s no skin off my snobby nose what anyone chooses to eat but MKR is a reality show about cooking and what a 15 year old can throw on a pizza base and chuck in the oven at Dominoes (or in your super supreme case I guess Pizza Hut – do they still exist?) is not cooking. They might as well have served up Chicken Tonight. Do I hear a “why not?”

16 Kaylen { 03.15.11 at 1:20 pm }

RR – Bill, of course! He has that whole studly tradesman thing going for him. πŸ˜‰

I think Alex is probably the only one that cooks between them, though!

Bill seems to do good deserts, though… πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜›

17 Reality Raver { 03.15.11 at 1:31 pm }

Chunks – thanks for the recipe but I think they must have used potatoes rather than ricotta. I had zeppole recently at a restaurant and it was fantastic. But then it did come with two different sauces.

Kaylen – bad news Bill has a girlfriend of 3 years, but Alex is single, though he did get a party pash recently.

18 Chunks { 03.15.11 at 2:18 pm }

RR, yes they did. Was just pointing out that what they made was not “donuts” as such. Pretty sure if they’d produced ordinary donuts with not so much as a sprinkle of cinnamon that they’d have been dismissed along with the spaghetti and meatballs.

19 Reality Raver { 03.15.11 at 2:39 pm }

Chunks – LOL – I don’t think the judges are very consistent on their judging on these issues. I think it depends on whether it tastes any good in the end.

20 AnnyB { 03.15.11 at 2:45 pm }

Apart from the food, the one thing that stood out for me was the kid who was not impressed with the service. I think he was waiting for the sliders. First of all it was going to be 10 minutes and then you see him still not served (muttering something about an hour) and even less impressed. Patience was not in his repertoire.

21 Chunks { 03.15.11 at 3:55 pm }

I agree they are not consistent. I think they quickly pick up on whether or not particular contestants have the combination of skills, palate, imagination and common sense required to be a succesful chef and then that colours their reaction to any dish cooked by a particular team from then on. It’s a strange show anyway, really just Masterchef in pairs with a much lower quality of contestants.

22 seepi { 03.15.11 at 4:32 pm }

I think anyone who puts chicken on a pizza needs to go.

these guys are butchers – I thought they would make kebabs or something.

23 PollyB { 03.15.11 at 4:46 pm }

Chunks, I have to disagree with “they quickly pick up on whether or not particular contestants have the combination of skills, palate, imagination and common sense”. Cooking chux wipes with cray stock only fits with imagination! I agree this show is very much like MC, the outcome is not decided on who is/are the best cook/s. Sure is welcome light relief considering what is happening in Japan though.

24 Jacqui { 03.15.11 at 6:03 pm }

The pizza looked disgusting, even the kids didn’t want to eat it! Someone should have made a party pie for fun or fairy floss!

25 Angie { 03.15.11 at 7:19 pm }

I thought the pizza looked awful – like one of those frozen ones from the supermarket. I thought Stefania and Bette Midler (aka Daniela) did a good job with their donuts, although the fact that Stefania couldn’t make a basic chocolate sauce should have been taken into account. Personally, I thought the girls from Tassie did the best job.