My Kitchen Rules – Bill And Alex Are Going To Exit Stage Left Soon

Ok obviously some of these My Kitchen Rules contestants did not get the memo that before you go on a reality TV cooking show you should know how to make pasta, mayonnaise, gnocchi and pastry from scratch.

Anyone who watches those reality TV cooking shows knows that if you cannot do those things you will get scorched by the judges at some point.

Having said that I thought the challenge was tough one. One person from each team had to hand make pasta and a sauce in 30 minutes. A professional chef would be pushing it, let alone people that have never made pasta before.

In fact I was pretty impressed every team plated up. I did wonder if the clock was stopped at one point.

There was much hand wringing from Daniela and Stefania that they were sitting out the pasta challenge. I would have laughed if they had been in it and tanked it.

Ann-Marie and Nick were safe with their porcini fettuccine, as were Mel and James with their fettuccine with anchovies, olives etc.

Interesting how a simple sauce tonight did not attract any criticism, but again it was a smart move by Mel and James to use such strong flavours in the short time frame.

Esther and Ali were criticised for their Pork Marsala for being too sweet. Manu proclaiming marsala should only be found in desserts. Memo to self if I am ever at an Italian restaurant with Manu don’t order the veal marsala…

The crime of culinary etiquette landed them in the cook off.

Kane and Lee were safe with their pumpkin agnoletti, which did look nice even though Kane drowned it in sauce.

Kel and Ash with their middle eastern flavoured pasta which seemed to have saffron overload were unsafe, as were Bill and Alex.

For the teams in the cook off the challenge was to use flour and eggs to make a dessert. This was not difficult. Again Bill and Alex looked like deers stuck in headlights when they heard this news.

Kelly and Ash made chocolate and hazelnut torte with mousse, with a frangelico jelly.  Manu thought it was fantastic, and said it was one of the best things he had seen in the competition so far.

Esther and Ali cooked Black Forest Delight with Cherry soup.   Pete thought the cake looked dry.  Manu thought it needed some acidity to counter balance the sweetness of the soup.

Sammy and Bella made Triple Chocolate Dream with blood oranges and jus. Manu liked the jus, and thought it was really lovely. Pete disagreed, he said it is not doing it for him. He thought the blood oranges and the jus needed to go. Cue to a mild exchange between Manu and Pete which had as much aggression as a Play School episode.

Alex and Bill made Pear Mousse with macadamia crumble – the judges told them technique let them down on the dessert. The mousse was grainy, and the macadamia crumble was overcooked. Also I thought their presentation was awful there was a huge gap at the side. These guys are struggling and it was no surprise they will be up for elimination tomorrow night.

In fact if they don’t get their shizzle together I can see the Qld butchers beating them tonight.

1 Izobel2 { 03.16.11 at 10:04 am }

RR I thought of you when Manu described one of the desserts (I think it was Ash & Kelly’s) as “sexy”! “Cue to a mild exchange between Manu and Pete which had as much aggression as a Play School episode”!! Very funny!!!

2 Jasmin { 03.16.11 at 10:22 am }

I feel sorry for the contestants: one one hand they’re being told to stop playing safe, but then when they do, they’re shot down (in particular the NSW girls with their choc blood orange dessert).

I do have a theory – if the menu clearly states the ingredients used, then the judges know what to expect in terms of flavours. If Pete knew he was going to experience a strong sour orange fkavour instead of a sweet ‘Triple Chocolate Dream’ he may have been more forgiving in his critique.

Hope the NSW boys don’t get through – they’re not bad to look at but their food is. :)

3 Reality Raver { 03.16.11 at 10:37 am }

Izobel2 – the way Manu says sexy needs to be made illegal.

Jasmin – If I was a contestant I would be confused. I thought their dessert looked full on but it would have been delicious in small dose. I think the boys are choking big time.

4 AngelSN86 { 03.16.11 at 12:01 pm }

I think the QLD Butchers should go home before the NSW boys. At least the NSW boys are using some techniques and are really giving it a go, the Butchers are just cramming as many ingredients as they can into each dish. But having said that, I won’t be surprised if they NSW boys then end up back in the cook-off again next week.

5 Jasmin { 03.16.11 at 2:52 pm }

Oh, also wanted to say, well played Sourkraut… they definitely mentioned a ‘State of Origin’ playoff for tonight – you were spot on! :)

6 Wurstsemmel { 03.16.11 at 4:01 pm }

Poor Thunderbird Pete looked most put out that Manu continued to disagree with him. The pouting was definitely not, as Manu would say, ‘sexy’. I thought it was going to be breadrolls at dawn. Serious stuff.

Wasn’t the sauce optional anyway? Wasn’t it in a pot to pour on as wanted?

Anyway, in the end, the correct pairs ended in the bottom two. Probably both lots should go. I think the boys early success was just a fluke and the butchers seem to have lived up to their name and pretty much butchered everything so far. My money is on the boys to stay tonight (likely to keep the females watching) but I don’t think they’ll be far behind the butchers.

Is the cooking ability way down from last year? Seems to be the case?

7 Littlepetal { 03.16.11 at 4:16 pm }

Both male teams are not doing well and both will go soon. I can’t understand why in the pasta challenge the one making the pasta doesn’t seem to know what they are doing and need instructions from those sitting out. Did I miss something?

8 Izobel2 { 03.16.11 at 4:29 pm }

@Littlepetal. I reckon last week when they found out only one could cook, the better cook, with more of a clue, did the cooking. Then when last night the opposite member of the team had to do the cooking, it was obviously the weaker partner that had to cook, hence so much coaching from the sidelines, ie Kane & James. IMO anyway.

9 Littlepetal { 03.16.11 at 4:53 pm }

Thanks Izobel2. That make sense now.

10 davsimp { 03.16.11 at 7:24 pm }

The only way to avoid a rigged result with the studs versing the duds is for each team to present their dishes to the judges anonymously. We know that ain’t going to happen and the studs will be kept in because the gals love them. Bye Artie and Johnny. Sorry boys but you need to work on your abs.

11 Sourkraut { 03.16.11 at 9:25 pm }

Davsimp
SPOT ON!

12 Sourkraut { 03.16.11 at 9:27 pm }

Wurstsemmel
You are right. The cooking ability of all but three of the pairs is woeful and Margaret Fulton was quite right too

13 dmc { 03.17.11 at 7:17 am }

Am quite surprised by this show. Didn’t think much of it at first but there is actually a lot of cooking shown, even if the standard is not so high.

14 Reality Raver { 03.17.11 at 10:52 am }

I think the cooking is fairly high. Considering the time pressure I am surprised there is not more dud meals plated up.

15 wallah { 03.17.11 at 12:22 pm }

Just watched the tivo of it….did anyone notice the NSW sister say ‘I haven’t done it before and I don’t want to start now’ or words to that effect? A breath of fresh air in a reality tv cooking show.