My Kitchen Rules – It Was Time For The Butchers To Leave

Johnnie and Artie signature move is to use spirits in their food. At their instant restaurant it was Frangelico with chicken, tonight it was tuna and kingfish carpaccio with Campari dressing. As usual the judges were dubious, but apparently it tasted quite nice and told them they didn’t put enough on it. The rare use of restraint back fired on them.

For Bill and Alex it really was Alex holding up the team. I suspect if they had been eliminated there would have been some fear and loathing off camera. Bill is struggling both with quickness of prep, and technique. Again he was the contestant making pastry for the first time…

I think I am going to set up a “Things You Need To Know Before Going On A Reality Cooking Show” masterclass.

Also as an aside what brand was that sexy juicing machine Bill was using for the Chocolate and Orange Tart.

Tonight it was the usual elimination night challenge, cook a three course meal within a limited time frame for Manu Feildel and Pete Evans and the four other judges.

Bill and Alex made scallops with blood sausage with broad bean puree for entree. The classic flavours were received positively by the judges. In fact Guy Grossi thought it was the standout dish of the night. However I thought the criticism about the broadbean puree was  bit rough. Does it matter if it what labour intensive, isn’t what comes out on the plate the main thing?

Pete hinted to the butchers their entree was a flop by telling them their main had to be spot on. They were making slow cooked beef cheeks served with sweet potato puree. The butchers really do need to plate up better. But I think over the weeks they have been rattled by the judges saying you put too much on the plate. However the three mushrooms sitting on top of the puree just looked like some sort of tumour.

The judges thought the cheeks were cooked perfectly, however they were criticised for not having enough jus on it. There was also debate on whether their was too much butter in the sweet potato puree.

Bill and Alex  for their main were making rabbit two ways with watercress and pea puree. The puree was the highlight of the dish for Guy Grossi. The only criticism of the rabbit was the bacon on the outside was not crisp enough other than that it was impressive.

The Qld boys made a apple, rum, and pecan cake for dessert. Apparently it was delicious, but very similar to a dessert they had served previously. Should this be included in tonight scores? Or should it just be what you plate up on the night?

For Bill and Alex their dessert was a disaster. The pastry too thick, the mousse the gelatine separated from the cream and they had to leave it off.

The Queensland boys were  scored by Karen Martini a 7, Toby a 6, Liz gave them a 6, and Guy a 6.

Pete Evans gave them a 7, and Manu a 6 for a total of 38 out of 60.

Karen and Toby must have thought both meals were the same level as they gave each team the same scores. However, Liz and Guy gave the NSW boys one point more.

With Manu also giving them a 7, as well as Pete the NSW boys beat the Qld team by three points and are safe for another week.

They will struggle to stay in the competition.

1 Injera { 03.17.11 at 10:28 am }

You absolutely MUST put together a masterclass on prepping for reality shows. Actually, write a book. Better still, a series. One for each show.

2 Jasmin { 03.17.11 at 10:47 am }

It sounds like the NSW boys need to stop attempting to make mousse!

RR – I agree with the book idea :)

Meanwhile off topic, I met Bella at the Taste Festival on Friday, she was lovely (unfortunately missed out on meeting Manu – he was there on Saturday!)

3 Kaylen { 03.17.11 at 12:07 pm }

I thought Bill was that sexy juicing machine! :(

But yeah – they will struggle, unfortunately. Bill seems to be able to cook… when he’s not under pressure and time restraints. And, of course, when he knows what he’s cooking.

I can’t help but just shake my head whenever a contestant makes something they’ve never done before. Are they stupid or what?!

Sigh.

I was happy with who went tonight. Was glad they had finally gone. They weren’t bad cooks… but not up to the standard of the rest, I think.

4 wallah { 03.17.11 at 12:19 pm }

Bo and Luke Duke live to ride another day. Agreed with Jasmin, why the attempt at mousse again? I did like Artie and Johnny though, they were good value.

5 Chunks { 03.17.11 at 12:44 pm }

Yeah, why DO these dopes keep making things that they’ve never done before? Happens all the time. “Think I’ll make a croquembouche today. Never done one before and have no idea how to make pastry or do that stuff with the sugar but how hard can it be?” Never seen a mousse recipe yet with gelatine in it. Yuck.

And then they don’t taste what they’ve made. The butchers may have won if they’d only tasted their fish and realised it needed more vinaigrette. But they didn’t and most teams never seem to. Happens on Masterchef as well.

It’ll be Bill and Alex against Kane and Lee at the next cook off.

6 Wurstsemmel { 03.17.11 at 12:59 pm }

I’m just disappointed no one served up an opportunity for Manu to say ‘sexy’. Like Phil’s eyebrow in TAR, this should be a mandatory component of the show.

I don’t know what it is about Pete but I just can’t warm to him at all.
Smart move to wear the table cloth under his jacket though.

7 AT { 03.17.11 at 1:17 pm }

Jasmin – I was at Taste of Sydney on Thursday and a friend of mine went on Sunday. Manu was there on both days…bad timing :(

8 Reality Raver { 03.17.11 at 1:26 pm }

Injera and Jasmin – I might make it a topic of my first Vlog.

Kaylen – I will pay that re: Bill being the sexy juicing machine.

Wallah – LOL Bo and Luke Duke – they ARE like them the original series NOT the movie. Of course I am now showing my age.

Chunks – new technical dish plus time frame equals culinary fail.

Wurstsemmel – regarding the sexy thing maybe the producers have told him not to say it so often so it does not become a cliche. LOL about the shirt. They both have had some weird clothes choices this week.

9 sourkraut { 03.17.11 at 1:36 pm }

BAh Humbug!
So what if the butchers dessert was similar to b4? The idea is to judge based on taste and apparently it was reputedly delicious, SO they had two Delicious and one so so course which in my mathematics gives them at least a total of 6.67 going on 7, likewise studdly and duddly, so a tie should have resulted. Felt sorry for the butchers. Manu(re) had been bullying them about “too much on the plate….(cant upset those with sopissticated palates!) so when they follow his crappy advice he marks them down,
Oh well one day I will learn not to get sucked in by unreality tv and invest emotionally. SIGH I guess I’m just too dumb to know better.

10 brain dead dave { 03.17.11 at 1:46 pm }

When Manu tasted the Campari dressing he had the spoon in his mouth (twice) before throwing it back into the jug. He might be French but he does a lot of Germin’….

The fix was in for those Ken dolls last night.

11 Chunks { 03.17.11 at 1:51 pm }

lol @ Studly and Dudly. I don’t believe for a minute that the judges don’t confer and work out who is going and what points they’ll each give before they make their announcements. Have to say the beef cheeks looked pretty unappetising, even if they tasted great. It’s a hard piece of meat to pretty up,

12 Jasmin { 03.17.11 at 2:37 pm }

Wurstsemmel – I agree, Pete is hard to warm to. I think because he looks like he is about to smile but half the time he is just grimacing. I’d choose Manu any day. :)

AT -it definitely was bad timing!

13 Anonymous { 03.17.11 at 4:42 pm }

I wish they’d judge each dish seperately and then add up the scores. Everyone just seems to end up with the mediocre scores of 6s and 7s. By rights it should work out the same on average but I reckon it’d end up a bit different because they’d be forced to think a bit more about the real qualities of each dish, its good and bad points.

Anyway, it’d be more interesting than boring 6, 6, 7, 7, etc. etc.

Also… I thought when Bill put the pastry in he didn’t use any type of weights which I thought was a bit risky. But did I dream this, because they didn’t seem to bubble up? Also the recipe on the website says to use weights.

14 davsimp { 03.17.11 at 4:54 pm }

Bill’s days of standing around looking pretty are over. He needs to pull his finger out if he and and Alex are to remain in the show. I’m sure I wasn’t the only one who wanted to smack him around the head with a large blunt object when he was piss-farting around with those broad beans. And don’t get me started on the botched oh-I’ve-never-made-this-before-but-how-hard-can-it-be pastry job. Not as hard as the smack in the head you will get from Alex if you don’t start stepping up to the plate mate.