Survivor Redemption Island – Special Agent Phillip Is A Star

Finally we have the latest season of Survivor and it is the usual mix of attorney’s, hill billies, and type A personalities, and of course a few nut jobs. I do notice this season they look like they have cast a lot of looks, there are a lot of fit bodies and attractive young women. Some of whom I have not figured out who they are yet.

And didn’t those young women scream when they saw Boston Rob, and then got even more excited when he was put on Ometepe tribe.

If you had not heard this season they brought back Evil Russell and Boston Rob to face off in different tribes.  So battle of the Alpha males.

The other twist is Redemption Island – where  you go if you are eliminated to dual with the previously eliminated contestant to stay on the island. If you are the player on there when they decide to let you back in the game then you get a second chance to have a crack of winning the Survivor title.

I think they do need this as Boston Rob and Russell do have targets on their backs. Personally I would be getting rid of Boston Rob as quickly as possible as currently he is giving his tribe a masterclass in how the game is played. Not so much Russell – he doesn’t have the social game to win.

On Boston Rob’s tribe there are certainly some personalities.

All I can say is how nutty is Phil – former federal agent? – yes note the question mark. Is this because the FBI have disowned him? Glad he wasn’t caught by the Russian’s as he would have sung like a budgie. Nut job or not he is certainly entertaining. I loved his explanation about being in a “hyper state of arousal”, because of the physical and emotional stress they were under. Personally I thought he was on a verge of a nervous breakdown.

Also he seemed think by saying he was a “former special agent” that he had more integrity and trust then other people.

So Katrina was smart enough to find the frigging immunity idol, but then was wanting to vote Boston Rob out. However as Francesca says well that is fine however once we have him out we still don’t have the numbers. And that was her big mistake for staying in an unworkable alliance.

After Boston Rob’s tribe lost the immunity challenge, it was game on. The was barely any talk about voting out the weakest member it was all strategy. Boston Rob had guessed Kristina had the hidden immunity idol, came up with a strategy so either her or Francesca would be gone.

It was a bold move considering in the previous season he was on he was eliminated on a similar manouvre.

Kristina and Francesa were looking pretty smug at tribal council. But Francesa doesn’t seem to know when to shut her mouth. She told Boston Rob he was safe, and Phil who was in an alliance with the girls suddenly cracked and started gibbering away about how the girls were in fact planning on voting Boston Rob out. If that wasn’t enough he also divulged that Kristina had the hidden immunity idol. The girls were squirming.

Boston Rob just took control and made her show it to him, he was enjoying her discomfort, as you would.

In the end the two girls voted for Phil, and the other tribe members split the votes and Francesca who had said at the beginning of the episode she wouldn’t be eliminated was. It was one of the best tribal council’s ever and Jeff Probst was extremely amused throughout.

Francesca was sent to Redemption Island to wait for the next contestant to arrive.

On episode two we got to see more of Russell and how he was playing this season of the game. For those who don’t know when Russell played the all-stars season, his original season had not yet aired in the US so no one knew his style.

They do now so you would think he would change it – he hasn’t.

He aligns with two younger pretty girls who he thinks he can manipulate and dominate both physically and mentally. I really don’t like that he is such a mysogynist. The way he keeps on touching Stephanie is just creepy.

Ralph who is Darwin’s missing link, has there been anyone so hairy ever, seems to have Russell’s measure. He found the immunity idol, plus called Russell out when he knew he had one of the clues to find the idol.

Russell reacted predictably by being a bully ,”your either with me or against me” said Russell. Basically warning him there was now a target on his hairy back.

Not that it mattered this time around as Boston Rob’s team lost again in the immunity challenge. Phillip could not hit the tiles to break them.

This time the strategy was to break up a close couple Matt and Andrea as Rob was having a Rob and Amber flashback, and knew they could be dangerous. Matt did look blindsided, and Andrea had a WTF happened there look on her face.

It will be interesting to see when Rob’s tribe will make a move on him, and if they want to win they will have to.

Here is Jeff Probst’s blog from episode 1. And here is episode 2 . If I can just put a caveat on this – beware of spoilers so once on the page/website don’t start jumping pages as we are 4 episodes behind the US.

1 Izobel2 { 03.23.11 at 10:20 am }

Hi RR. Haven’t read this recap yet as I forgot it was on!! So I just phoned Channel 9 Adelaide and there’s a replay on at 10.55pm Sat night. Just incase anyone else missed it and wants to catch up. So I’ll watch it then and read your recap later. Very excited!

2 Reality Raver { 03.23.11 at 10:38 am }

Great start to the season, definitely watch it.

3 Kay { 03.23.11 at 11:27 am }

My comments:
*I like the idea of Redemption Island, but I’m a bit wary of what these ‘duels’ will be and whether they’ll naturally favour the more physical players.
*I haven’t enjoyed watching Russell in the past, but I was open to him changing up his gameplay, but it appears he hasn’t changed at all. I hope he gets beaten soon. I want to watch his torch snuffed out. (Also, how funny to see him go on about survivor being the hardest thing ever, in front of the Iraq War Vet. And going on about how he rules at idols and farmer ralph just finds one by accident.)
*Philip – another one where you go ‘he’s putting it on right? he can’t be a real person.’ I love the ‘?’ next to his profession. I do find him less annoying and more entertaining than coach though. First tribal councils are usual fairly non-eventful, but he managed to make it must-watch tv. I loved how he couldn’t pronounce ‘francesca’ and just blurts things out, and I love how because of this, rob felt like he could only tell him who to vote for by signalling him at tribal.
*Francesca’s funny, I would love for her to beat matt at the duel.
*I liked kristina to begin with, but once she found that idol she seemed to lose it. I hope she gets her smarts back and becomes a powerhouse later, well, so long as it doesn’t lead to rob leaving because:
*I love rob. I would never be able to play this game against him, as I would just be one of his blind followers. I love it everytime he does something awesome, which is all the time! I forgive him when he does something stupid or dickish, get annoyed at other contestants for going against him, even if it is good strategy, and get so nervous when I think he’s trying something that may get him voted out. I so hope he doesn’t leave early, I love watching the man.
*I don’t have much of an opinion on anyone else. I wish they’d search for personality when filling the ‘young hot girl’ quota, they all blend in together.

4 Kay { 03.23.11 at 11:33 am }

Also, about Philip, I also found it weird that he seemed to think people equate ‘federal agent’ with trust and honesty. Granted, all I know I’ve learnt from tv, but I equate ‘federal agent’ with ‘lying liars who lie and then lie some more’ – all for our own good of course.

5 Wurstsemmel { 03.23.11 at 12:15 pm }

When was this on??????? I checked the TV guide. Nothing.

6 sourkraut { 03.23.11 at 1:49 pm }

Missed the eps
GLAD
Could not stand seein snot blob rob at his manipulative sleazy lying game. Hope they wake up early and vote him out, but given that the IQ of American game show contestants is something that would make two short planks look like an IBM computer, I sadly doubt it.
At least the skank and the boiler suited ball breaking whinger are not in it again.
They could have at least brought back the utterly delectable Natalie for my benefit!

7 Izobel2 { 03.23.11 at 1:55 pm }

Wurstsemmel, it’s on Go on 7.30pm Tuesday’s in SA. Not sure about other states. It wasn’t in the TV Guide here either. I forgot that RR told us last week.

8 Izobel2 { 03.23.11 at 1:58 pm }

Hey Rollmop lovin Sourkraut… I remember u love Sandra Duz-Whine, but who’s your other nemesis you mention? Parvati? Cirie?

9 Reality Raver { 03.23.11 at 2:27 pm }

Wurstsemmel – it was on Go – Tuesday night 7.30pm you being repeated on Saturday night at 10.55pm or try the website they might have it on catch up tv.
I forgot to watch The Amazing Race on Sunday got to catch up with that

10 Rosie { 03.23.11 at 11:26 pm }

>>and there’s a replay on at 10.55pm Sat night. Just incase anyone else missed it and wants to catch up.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Izobel2!
I assumed if it were repeated it would be on Saturday or Sunday afternoon, but it’s not. Didn’t occur to me to look at 10.55 at night!
I luvs me some Survivor, so am really glad to have not missed out.

11 Izobel2 { 03.24.11 at 9:55 am }

No probs Rosie. I was so upset I missed it I rang Channel 9 yesterday morning! I too thought the reply would be on Sunday arvo as per last couple of seasons. Remember it’s for 2 hours!

12 Culinary Boner { 03.24.11 at 11:50 am }

Raver, do I detect a subtle channeling of a repressed wolf-man fetish?

13 Wurstsemmel { 03.24.11 at 12:56 pm }

Thanks for the info on the re-run!!

14 sourkraut { 03.24.11 at 3:01 pm }

Iz 2
I dont recall saying I love rollmops (even though I quite like them), what I said was that Pete who had dribbling orgasms over some mackerel in vinegar had never tasted a rollmops.
That aside, how did you guess the two (plus one) that I meant?

15 Izobel2 { 03.27.11 at 7:04 pm }

Sorry Sourkraut, I finally watched the 2 eps so finally reading the Survivor blog again now. Just reading RR’s website every day, it feels like I know you or something! And you remind me of my dad, also a sour-kraut, also a rollmop fan! It was just an educated guess about your Survivor villians based on your comments over the last couple of years. I already knew about your love for Sandra, but I was querying the others. Quite proud of myself that I got it right!