My Kitchen Rules – OutBack Cooking

It was off to the Outback tonight for the remaining team of My Kitchen Rules. First there was the “dumper” challenge as Manu Feildel says it. It was a damper challenge and some of them did look like dumps.

They needed to make either a sweet or  savoury damper with a sauce. They must have  been briefed on how to make it and use an outdoor oven otherwise it would have been a total disaster.

They only had 30 minutes to do it in, and if you won the team got to sit out the rest of the challenges for the week.

Kel and Ash had a disaster with their feta damper with onion jam. I don’t think they will be moving to the country anytime soon. The advertised big temper tantrum from Ash was just him throwing one thing, so that was an anti-climax.

Ann-Maree and Nick are hitting their straps with  a damper with strawberries and cream.

However the winners were Bill and Alex with their damper of sage, rosemary and thyme served with a chilli tomato sauce and egg. Lucky for them they get to sit it out for the rest of the week.

The people’s choice challenge was having to cook for twenty farmers. Each team was given either the entree, main or dessert to cook and it had to be cooked on an outdoor oven.

I was hoping one  of the challenges would involve indigenous cooking, but maybe that will be tomorrow night.

Bill and Alex had the power to choose who would pick which course, and they picked Sammi and Bella to do desserts as they knew it would be their week point.

They were right their pancake with chocolate ganache looked delicious but apparently the sauce was all bitter.

Kane and Lee’s lamb stew looked particularly unappetizing. Also they stuffed up by serving corn cobs, as no one would pick them up on TV.

Kel and Ash had undercooked spatchcock, and also the watermelon salad did not go well with the bird.

Conversely Ann-Maree and Nick were calm tonight and cooked lamb cutlets with tomato, bocconcini on rosemary sticks and got great feedback.

Stefania and Daniela cleverly did a involtini which is cooked in a tomato sauce so gives them more control while cooking them.

Esther and Ali’s butterscotch dumplings with custard looked like lambs brains on the plate but apparently they were delicious.

The winner of the people’s choice was Stefania and Daniela and their dish did look great.

1 AngelSN86 { 03.28.11 at 10:42 pm }

Had to laugh at the insect down the shirt drama, even funnier on the television than it was on the internet videos. Especially with all the farmers looking on and laughing. Even Bella was laughing as she helped her.

I thought Anne-Marie and Nick’s lamb cutlets would’ve won People’s Choice. It seemed to be the yummiest dish and they cooked everything so perfectly on the open fire stoves. That would’ve been my choice. But I’m a bit biased because I don’t like Stefania and Daniela much. I find them really irritating and they don’t seem to be very diverse in their cooking. Yes they have done 1 or 2 dishes that are Asian-inspired or something but the majority of their dishes are Italian.

Bummer that Sammy and Bella’s yummy looking crepe cake didn’t taste as good. It sure did look good. Did they even taste the chocolate and realise that it was not sweet enough? Or did they intend for it to be that bitter?

2 brain dead dave { 03.28.11 at 11:22 pm }

Even Burke and Wills wouldn’t have touched that undercooked spatchcock.
Ash has learned jack from his previous undercooked lamb fiasco.

3 PollyB { 03.29.11 at 12:00 am }

BDD, agree Ash has learnt nothing. He expected diners to eat raw meat again, worse that it was chicken this time. Arrogant douche.
I’m kinda happy Stef and Bette won. They’ve grown on me. I think cos they just cop it on the chin, no pouting or dissing others.
I would have loved to eat the butterscotch ‘lamb brains’, yummy.

4 Kaylen { 03.29.11 at 12:30 am }

I actually like Stefania and Daniela, and I’m with PollyB’s comments re: them and the rest of what was said.

Now onto more important things!

Is it me, or did Pete look freshly waxed? …. 😀

I mean, his hair is usually a lot more noticeable – especially in the lower part of the V of his t-shirts. Absolutely nothing tonight, though!

An interesting topic. 😉

Will be interesting to see exactly what happens tomorrow, though, and all that they’re advertising about someone leaving. :)

5 Richard { 03.29.11 at 8:12 am }

Didn’t Bill & Alex win a week off cooking last week? Either they are suddenly amazing cooks or the producers are trying to keep them in for as long as possible (to keep the viewers) by having them NOT cook!!

6 Link Time – Nathan Brown Apologises to Megan Gale | Luxury { 03.29.11 at 3:40 pm }

[…] Daily Telegraph Mila Kunis defends Natalie Portman’s dancing in Black Swan – Inside Movies Recap of last night’s My Kitchen Rules in the outback – Reality […]

7 Culinary Boner { 03.29.11 at 4:18 pm }

Drowling over the new smooooth Pete, eh Kaylen??
Will he be tweezing his brows next?

8 Reality Raver { 03.29.11 at 8:19 pm }

AngelSN86 – Apparently desserts are not the girls strong suit. I cannot believe Bella freaked out at a fly.

BDD – LOL – but seriously cooking spatchcock on that oven – nightmare.

Kaylen – I had not noticed but definitely will be looking at Pete’s hair level tonight.

Polly B – Actually thinking of trying the dumplings.

Richard – Oh I love a conspiracy theory.

Culinary Boner – I think he already does.

9 Littlepetal { 03.29.11 at 9:44 pm }

I normally watched the Wed night episodes later and I just realised something !!!!!! If you don’t want to know who wins the cook off every Wed then don’t look….

The couple that wear the White aprons loses all the time !!!! So do they know who will win or they will have to reshoot to have the losers wear white aprons??

10 darcy { 03.29.11 at 9:48 pm }

WHO HAD TO LEAVE!

11 Littlepetal { 03.29.11 at 9:59 pm }

Do you really want to know??? I heard different couples leaving !!!

12 Culinary Boner { 03.30.11 at 10:34 am }

Damn! The producers missed the chance to feature Outback Jack!! If only Eddie Maguire and the 9 brains trust were involved.

13 ellen hester { 04.22.11 at 5:37 pm }

i what to see it .right Now plese i what see woch sammy and Bella in the outback

14 Jessica { 09.19.12 at 1:05 pm }

I looked it up and it looks disgusting!