My Kitchen Rules – Masterchef Gets Paris, MKR – Darwin

Well it wasn’t the glamour of cooking beside the Seine but they did have the beauty of the outback. Tonight the four teams left in this week had to cook in The Ghan train’s kitchen.

Daniela and Stefania, and Bill and Alex just got to sit and relax as they were safe. But where were was Ash and Kel who are up for elimination. Have they been locked in the baggage cabin or flown straight to Darwin?

The challenge was to cook for a dish for the passengers on The Ghan. Well actually they were being a bit disingenous as it must of been only some of the passengers or The Ghan is going broke.

Their roles was swapped and the teams that cooked the savoury last night had to cook the dessert.

Sammi and Bella made Moroccan Spiced Chicken. Pete freaked them out with their sauce when he suggested it was too hot. Basically he said remember you are not just cooking for us. Which was code for you are cooking for older white people, which are the demographic of The Ghan.

Pete thought the sauce was a bit confusing to the palette. He did like the chicken. Manu thought it was enjoyable but questionable.

I loved the way some of the passengers said “I love it” but left half of it on their plates.

Esther and Ali cooked Beef with potato gratin and spinach. This went down well with the tourists. Pete and Manu thought the spinach was not fabulous, but the beef was perfectly cooked.

Ann-Marie and Nick were cooking dessert and they made mille feille with mango coulis, and a lime and macadamia sand. I thought it was a pretty sophisticated dessert. But it would not be Ann-Marie and Nick if there wasn’t tiffing in the kitchen. I am wondering if the endearment they use of calling each other babe is starting to be a bit of a passive aggressive thing between them. “Yes Babe”, “Can you get the pastry babe” and so forth.

Anyway their dessert looked delicious and their cream did not melt.

Not unlike Kane and Lee’s whose cinnamon cream melted between the chocolate pancakes. They had been blaming the hotness of the kitchen, but the pancakes must not have cooled off enough. I wasn’t sure of their whole concept. It had cinnamon cream, chocolate ganache, brandy snap (for that bit of crunch?), and strawberry coulis.

I certainly wasn’t surprised when they landed in the elimination challenge again. So it will be Victoria versus Victoria.I suspect Kane and Lee’s time has come.

As they said they were the king and queen of the elimination challenges. An no I am not going to go their on that statement.

But the real cliff hanger is which team is going to be eliminated tomorrow night? Could it be Bill and Alex as they were not seen in the preview for the episode. However, Stefania and Daniela are the only ones in the show with kids which may mean they are the ones that have to leave.

I seriously have no idea.

Kane and Lee’s chocolate pancakes looked dry, but their cream melted on the pancakes. The pancakes must have still been warm fo rit to

Kane & Lee are the king and queen of cook offs.

1 Littlepetal { 03.29.11 at 10:56 pm }

I have heard which couple will be leaving, do you really want to know???

2 Reality Raver { 03.29.11 at 11:01 pm }

Yes I do, please, but put SPOILER – SPOILER – SPOILER at the start of your comment

3 Littlepetal { 03.29.11 at 11:43 pm }

SPOILER, SPOILER…. DON’T LOOK !!!!!!!

I read somewhere that it is Kelly and Ash. Ash has to have an emergency appendectomy although earlier article suggested that Anne-Marie and Nick were having problems on the show and they could be the couple leaving.

They may leave after the cook off. See what colour aprons they are wearing.

4 smauge { 03.30.11 at 7:47 am }

Have you seen the prices for a trip on the Ghan? It’s quite possible that it really was that empty.

5 PollyB { 03.30.11 at 9:29 am }

The mille-feuille looked delicious. Kane and Lee are too predictable now, they miss on the details a lot, it’s time for them to bugger off.

6 Reality Raver { 03.30.11 at 9:41 am }

Smauge – I know it has been struggling. Pity it is such an iconic trip. But then I have no desire to go on it just yet.

Polly B – tend to agree, however if a team has to leave does that mean no one will be eliminated. Bring back Holly and her mum please.

Little Petal – It will be interesting to see who it is.

7 Culinary Boner { 03.30.11 at 10:32 am }

Based on what I saw last night, I now add The Ghan to my must-miss geriatic tourism list, along with most cruises, including those quite nice looking one’s down the Rhine or the Danube. Well, at least until I’m a certified geri! If you were really – I mean really – cooking for the votes of the passengers featured you’d dig around in the Ghan’s pantry and start opening some cans. This obviously left the producers with no option but to have fellow MKR contestants sit in on the dinner/lunch/whatever-it-was.

8 Myndy { 03.30.11 at 11:20 am }

Having just completed a trip on the Ghan, I do agree it is for the ‘more mature traveller’.
I do not usually watch this show, but did so for obvious reasons…..thought it very unhealthy the fact the cooks did not present themselves properly, the ‘real’ Ghan chefs, or any chef for that matter, have their hair covered and proper chefs outfits, not singlet strap tops and constantly wiping sweat with their hands then touching the food, also taste testing then returning the spoon to the food ugh!!
Our trip was full, 32 carriages complete, and the food was ‘to die for’….don’t judge a Ghan experience on last night’s presentation!!!

9 PollyB { 03.30.11 at 12:23 pm }

Re Myndy’s comments – I always wonder why these cooks, especially the girls, wear what they do in the kitchen. I’m surprised we haven’t seen a flouncy top or two catch flame yet, or burns on the exposed flesh. They dress as if they are off to do lunch rather than cook it.
RR – If Littlepetal’s spoiler is correct I suspect K&L will be around for longer. However, agree, would love to see Holly & mum back.

10 Wurstsemmel { 03.30.11 at 12:34 pm }

All I can say about last night’s episode, following on from comments on an earlier post, is that someone seems to have glued Pete’s chest hair back on!

Also noted that the rocking of the train must be intefering with Manu’s equilibrium because his accent was virtually indecipherable in places.

The train looked nowhere near as luxurious as I expected….looked as if a fabled British Rail sandwich would not be out of place.

11 Izobel2 { 03.30.11 at 1:34 pm }

Wurstsemmel I thought I detected a cold that Manu must’ve caught somehow, as by the end of the show when he was doing the judging I thought he sounded all sniffly.

12 AnnyB { 03.30.11 at 1:36 pm }

I do wish they would at least change their aprons when serving.

I may be wrong, and let me know if I am, but is the stock they are using Massels. Massel’s beef and chicken stocks are labelled as having no animal content, which would make it faux stock.

13 AnnyB { 03.30.11 at 1:38 pm }

I do wish they would at least change their aprons when serving.

I can’t get a good look at the stock they are using, but it looks like it could be Massel. Does anyone else think it is. Massel’s beef and chicken stocks are labelled as having no animal content, which would make it faux stock.

14 smauge { 03.30.11 at 1:58 pm }

Myndy – I don’t judge the Gahn on last nights presentation. I judge it on the fare of over $8k for a sleeping cabin on a one-way trip!
Also, I hate to break it too you but almost ALL chefs will taste test and re-dip, not to mention lack of hats and dripping sweat. All wiped of the edges of the plate before serving. If you want top shelf hygene, go to Maccas (I kid you not).
And PURLEASE! Don’t bring back pretentious Holly and her Mum! I was glad to get rid of them so early!

15 Izobel2 { 03.30.11 at 3:29 pm }

So I guess you don’t like the opening credits Smauge with Holly sitting there with her glass of wine looking all fancy pants with her mum. I hate that scene too! I’ve got Massels at home. I def thought that was what they were using.

16 Wurstsemmel { 03.30.11 at 3:47 pm }

Really, Isobelz?

Then I must depart immediately…someone needs to rub Vick onto Manu’s chest, dirty work but someone has to do it…..

17 brain dead dave { 03.30.11 at 4:34 pm }

Yesterday I watched a segment featuring chefs and cooks working on the cake for the approaching Royal Wedding in England. All with hairnets or hats and appropriate outfits and not lanks of grease under Fedoras etc

18 davsimp { 03.30.11 at 7:24 pm }

I noticed Bill & Alex were not shown in the preview for tonight’s episode. If they are forced to leave I hope its for something worthwhile like a coke & whores charge, and not some lame appendicitis thing.

Signing out of here now, as I still have three hours to wait for the show. (And four hours before I can watch Wanker Joe get a bollocking from Michelle online)

19 smauge { 03.31.11 at 7:43 am }

BDD – I remember YEARS ago Gordon Ramsey’s first show about opening his new restaurant and on opening night the airconditioning in the kitchen went down and I almost vomitted as I saw all the sweat drippin into the food on the plates before sending them out.
I watch a lot of cooking shows and rarely see hair nets or hats. I’d imagine making the wedding cake for the Royal Wedding would be a highly scrutinized affair, different to dishing up to regular punters at your own restaurant.

20 theresa mcmahon { 05.27.14 at 8:52 am }

what a show that Pete should be on the menu juicey juicey im watching here in newcastle northern ireland uk