Farmer Wants A Wife – Farmers Say They Are Forced To Be Mushy

With the finale of Farmer Wants A Wife screening on Channel Nine tonight, some of the farmers reveal what it is like to be on a reality show. It is no surprise that they revealed those little love lines are not exactly spontaneous.

The Daily Telegraph reveals some of reality TV’s secrets in this article:

HE lovelorn blokes of Farmer Wants A Wife have described the reality show as more deftly crafted than candid, suggesting producers had to help coax them into displaying much of their on-screen affection – but they loved every minute of it.

The saccharine-sweet small talk and declarations of love that are the meat and potatoes of The-Bachelor-meets-the-bush program didn’t come as naturally as you’d think, say this season’s country singletons.

“It does feel a bit like acting sometimes,” said 26-year-old Farmer Nick. “I’d have a big genuine chat and they’d go ‘this is great but they’d say we can’t use any of it’ so you’d pull out something corny or something you wouldn’t usually do and we’d be away.”

“You’re running against the time and they’re saying we need this by then and they won’t let you get there and talk about the footy for an hour. They can’t use none of that so that’s when you’d end up saying “you’ve got beautiful eyes” or something stupid.

“You know what they want. They want the corny lines where you say ‘you’re beautiful, you’ve got beautiful eyes’ and all that sort of stuff.

Farmer Mark, a fruit and coffee farmer from tropical North Queensland said producers didn’t want him to give too much away too early.

“There were constant cheesy lines saying your feelings for every girl,” said the 27-year-old. “Even if you didn’t really have feelings for every girl you had to play it up so the viewers thought you were interested in all three girls. At times you just felt like being honest and the producers would be like ‘nah don’t say that’.”

Executive producer Karen Walker claimed they didn’t have to ‘train’ the farmers to open up about their feelings, but rather gave them a “nurturing environment” including sitting them down with a psychologist to discuss the experience beforehand.

“It’s a gently, gently approach,” Walker said. “It’s a lot of sitting down and talking to them, we just had to ask them enough questions to get them to feel comfortable, but I think we create a really safe environment for them to open up and say how they feel. We can’t put words in their mouth, they say what they say and in the end it works, it’s one of the most genuine shows on television.”

“Repeating and repeating and repeating the same scenes especially when its emotional scenes and you’re having to talk about your feelings and love and emotions, and to repeat yourself on the same things by the fifth time the love is gone, the emotion is gone, you’ve lost all enthusiasm, please just get what you want and let’s move on. It’s embarrassing enough as it is.”

Farmer Ben says producers had to cajole him into making a decision between two girls when he was faced with indecision.

“I was finding hard to choose so I didn’t want to rush into one, so I held off a bit, they were going ‘come on, can you do something, we want something,’ you could say they coax you into it, give you a bit of a push and a shove to get something happening.”

It should be noted the Farmer’s also said they had a ball on the show.

1 scruffnkelsmum { 03.31.11 at 8:31 am }

One of the reasons I stopped watching the show was the cheesy and fake lines from everyone- from Natalie to the farmers to the girls. It was all so repetitive, forced and fake that it lost me as a viewer…..

another reason was it was simply “vomitful” to watch, lol……

2 Richard { 03.31.11 at 9:28 am }

Did anyone notice how “Tropical Fruit” farmer Mark perked up when Keiren revealed he did not bring back a girl to the reunion? He then had to go and give him a hug….

3 Wurstsemmel { 03.31.11 at 9:45 am }

I’m with Scruffnkelsmum. Cheesy, manufactured crap and I stopped watching a few series back.

4 Culinary Boner { 03.31.11 at 11:33 am }

I’m looking forward to its spin-off – “Fuckwit Wants a Wife”

5 moondansa { 03.31.11 at 1:04 pm }

I’d like to see the producers keep it real… I don’t like to hear that they replace the Real conversations with little snipit’s of what they think the audience would like to hear!!! Keep it real… it’s humanly impossible to believe that every farmer has feeling towards every girl they take back to their farm, lets face it!

6 bluey { 03.31.11 at 1:21 pm }

They would have a bigger audience if they kept it real without the forced lovey dovey stuff.

7 Culinary Boner { 03.31.11 at 1:55 pm }

it’s humanly impossible to believe that every farmer has feeling towards every girl they take back to their farm…

did i just hear a farmer’s jocks go BO-OI-OI-OI-NG, to quote Beavis

8 Jaime { 03.31.11 at 2:33 pm }

Mmmmm Farmer Kieran … Holy shit he is HOT!!! Good observation Richard, I think you might be onto something….

The cheesy lines were wayyy OTT this year. I really hope they take note and bring it back to how it used to be because cheesy lines or not. I fricken LOVE that show…

9 brain dead dave { 03.31.11 at 2:38 pm }

“Sit on my tractor and tell me that you love me”

“You’ve got great calves”

“You look like you’ve seen a cockatoo,sweetheart”

10 Matthew { 05.07.11 at 8:09 pm }

It is a shame, I think there are probably some really nice guys/girls out there on the land that are lonely. But this show has become ridiculous, I hear from a very good source that one of the season 7 farmers is still married and has a girlfriend on the side. Just after some promotion. It’s disgusting.

11 Bella { 05.08.11 at 6:34 pm }

Unfortunately it wouldn’t be the first time a Farmer has gone into it for the chance of becoming famous and self promotion. Some girls have been very heartbroken to find that the farmer was only doing it for the cameras and not to find love.

12 scruffnkelsmum { 05.08.11 at 7:04 pm }

and there are the women who go on the show “looking for a farmer”, but they are:
a) not willing to move to the country or
b) not ready to commit to a relationship…!!!

…surely 2 of the most basic criteria for going on the show!?!?!

I no longer watch it anyway, as the corny scripted drivel just got too much to bear…

13 Bella { 05.09.11 at 6:55 pm }

Yes scruffnkelsmum you are right there too. What you have said is Also very true. It’s the basic criteria for the girls and the farmers.I just commented from experience. Anyway whether a person is into watching the show or not. There is a basic notion to bring people together to find love. Yes a lot of it is corny and yes sometimes you do have to do the same thing a couple of times and the public doesn’t see everything that goes on. But the cast and crew really do believe in what they are doing for the show and bringing people together.