My Kitchen Rules – Kel and Ash The Ones Who Had To Leave

God I am thick, last night in my blog post I query where Kel and Ash are as they are not spotted on The Ghan, and do I twig at all? NO. Clearly I learnt nothing from all those Nancy Drew books I read in my teen years.

It was Kel and Ash who had to leave as Kel had lost sight in her right eye and they had to leave the competition. Well they wanted to stay but apparently the producers were not comfortable with it. The condition was from a long standing medical issue.

After they had given their farewell speeches and the tears had been shed, I am sure all the viewers were sitting there like I was thinking OK so what is going to happen in the next 45 minutes.

Manu and Pete  revealed all teams would be cooking and the winner will mean they are safe from elimination next week.

By the way how many bullets can Kane and Lee dodge? I was sure they would have been eliminated tonight.

The challenge for tonight was two teams had cook mudcrab for entree, two teams cook barramundi for main, and tropical fruit for dessert.

Kane and Lee cooked salt and pepper crab, and the judges loved it. Daniela and Stefania cooked chilli mud crab, but it was undercooked.

For mains Sammi and Bella cooked barramundi on crushed potatoes and pea soup, which looked delicious. Nick and Ann-Marie cooked macadamia crusted barramundi on a lentil and vegetable salad. Nick spent ages fiddling with the fish fillets, and their dish looked a bit ordinary, but the flavour was there.

The two teams who got dessert had no hope in winning, as they had to cook with tropical fruit. Yes it is nice but it was going to be hard to get a wow factor in 60 minutes. Esther and Ali made a passionfruit syrup cake which looked dry. Bill and Alex’s Zabaglioni was a dud, as it was not cooked enough. There was certainly enough effort put in with Bill putting a litre of sweat into it as he stirred it. The judges could only take one spoonful of it.

The winner unsurprisingly were Sammi and Bella. I thought that was fair. Considering Kane and Lee were meant to be up for elimination tonight it would have been a bit unfair if they were now safe for next week.

1 Wurstsemmel { 03.30.11 at 11:01 pm }

Well, that’s a really sad way to exit. And sad for Kel that she has a chronic health condition, hopefully things are better now.

I wish that they had given commentary back to the contestants on all the meals served up tonight.

2 Jasmin { 03.31.11 at 8:15 am }

According to The Daily Telegraph, Kelly’s sight came back three weeks after leaving the show.

“Seven was forced to act after health and safety concerns. Allowing Kelly to work with knives, boiling water and around cooking equipment could be a recipe for disaster.
“It had affected my depth perception – chopping, pouring liquid wasn’t as accurate as with full sight,” Kelly says.
Kelly’s sight returned three weeks after leaving the show.
“I was one of the lucky ones,” Kelly says. “For some people it never goes away.”
The couple says the My Kitchen Rules setback won’t stop their plans to open their own restaurant in the future even though they were banking on the $100,000 prize money to kick-start the venture.”

I had them down to win, so not sure who’s going to take the cake now.

3 scruffnkelsmum { 03.31.11 at 8:40 am }

as someone whose vision is affected by damage to the optic nerve in 1 eye, I can only concur with Ch 7’s decision…depth perception and many other things are definitely affected!

I have had a few mishaps in my own kitchen, and my cooking is now vastly reduced/restricted. It would certainly be an OH&S issue to allow Kelly to continue cooking. I am pleased to hear her vision has returned, although it sounds like it may be an ongoing issue. My own vision is permanently damaged, so no such hope for me :(

4 PollyB { 03.31.11 at 8:44 am }

I found this episode totally boring and without any imagination. They were in Darwin, in the middle of the steamy season. I’ve lived there. The last thing you want to eat is stodge – crushed potatoes, lentils, pudding and bloody custard – when it is 90% humidity with min temps of 28C. What about fresh zingy salads, vege and fruit? And why both desserts using passionfruit? I s’pose a fair result as mentioned by RR.

5 Callie { 03.31.11 at 8:54 am }

On another note – has anyone noticed that every time they all stand together, one of the sisters, Sammi or Bella (the shorter one), always stands next to Kane. Also on the Ghan, as she sat down, she put both her hands on his thigh!! Do we think maybe there is something going on??

6 Richard { 03.31.11 at 9:38 am }

In reply to Callie about Bella putting her hands on Kane’s thigh, you might like to read a previous post from RR about Manu accidentally outing a contestant on radio.

7 Carls { 03.31.11 at 9:45 am }

Don’t think so Callie, I mean the sisters might like Kane but am pretty sure that the feeling will not be reciprocated. Kane’s gay. http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/television/kitchen-stars-radio-boo-boo/story-e6frfmyi-1225989975303

8 Culinary Boner { 03.31.11 at 11:35 am }

If Callie’s right the sisters need to invest in a Gaydar.

9 Callie { 03.31.11 at 11:47 am }

It appears that I am the thick one RR – had not picked up that Kane was gay. Thanks all. That is why she feels okay to put her hands on his thigh, explains it.

10 Reality Raver { 03.31.11 at 1:25 pm }

Scruffnkelsmum – sorry to hear about your eyesight. I agree with you, now sight in one eye would make it pretty hazardous in the kitchen particularly with the knives and them running around with hot pans. Yes ok if you always had no sight and were used to it and had put strategies in place. But not if it is new issue for her.

Jasmin – I see no one stopping the NSW Polish girls now.

Callie – Kane is gay, that is probably why she is being so affectionate towards him. My call is Alex and one of the girls.

11 Culinary Boner { 03.31.11 at 2:03 pm }

Callie…Sammi, Bella… I draw your attention to the following essential contribution to the wacky digital universe humanity currently inhabits:-