My Kitchen Rules – The Tassie Girls Are Out

Seriously how freaking lucky are Kane and Lee in this show. Last week when they were surely on their last legs Kel and Ash had to withdraw from the competition, and this week it was a Chinese cooking challenge. Lee was in her cooking comfort zone.

Another gripe I had about tonight was early on in the episode you could tell who the bottom two were going to be, and the team who was eliminated. Esther looked so downcast in her to camera pieces it was a no brainer the Tassie team was gone. Also at the beginning of the episode they made a comment about how they thought they were one of the stronger teams remaining, always a clear sign you about to go belly up.

Tonight the challenge was to cook in one of Sydney’s leading Chinese restaurants for some of Chinatowns leading restanteurs. It would have been good if they had introduced who they were to the camera and which restaurants they were from. I get the feeling if they were the usual white anglos we would have known which restaurants they were from.

The first part was a bit like the Amazing Race where the first three teams back with their ingredients got to cook first. They had an hour to cook their dish.

Bill and Alex’s dish was Coral Trout with Black Bean Sauce with Lotus Root and Cucumber Salad. They kept on saying they were not comfortable cooking chinese food, so I could not work out why you would cook lotus roots. It is not the easiest to cook to make it palatable.

The judges thought the fish was quite well cooked. Pete thought it was not appealing to the eye. one of the restanteurs thought cucumber does not go with fish, and the lotus roots were to sweet. While another one quite liked it.

Nick and Ann-Marie – Cantonese Lobster and pork stir fry with black bean sauce. Nick’s role was to deal with the lobster and then he left it in the steamer. Again there was tension in the kitchen between them, and Lee confirmed my theory that “babe” was used as a passive-aggressive missive rather than an endearment.

The judges did not think the dishes went together but the flavours was there.

Kane and Lee – Steamed Oysters with XO Sauce & Vermicelli and vegetables. It could not be faulted by the judges. Pretty impressive considering they made their own XO sauce.

After the first three finished it was Esther and Ali, and Daniela and Stefania’s turn to cook.

Daniela cleared up something for me when she said it is very difficult to remember quantities when you don’t have a book in front of you. So they don’t have the recipe secreted under the kitchen bench.

Esther and Ali made Mu Shu Pork Pancakes  – The meat was cut too thick, but the judges liked it. However their salt and pepper tofu was too salty.

Daniela and Stefania made dumplings with stirfry prawns. They were having a disaster, the dumpling wrappers they made were cracking up. They could not get the sauce serving with it right. The judges did not like the dumpling as it was not cooked. The prawns were unevenly cooked. Pete thought it was all a disaster.

The bottom two were going in a cook off. Daniela and Stefania and Esther and Ali were the two teams fighting for survival. I actually thought Bill and Alex should have been in the bottom two, as the only component of their dish they got right was the fish. Whereas Ali and Esther had done the pork, pancakes and their vegetable dish well.

The two teams had to make their signature dish.

WA’s team was braised rabbit on mashed potato and vegetables. Pete loved the flavour combination of the olives and chillis. But they did not like the rabbit livers as they were overcooked.

Esther and Ali were making Slow Cooked Chicken on saurkraut. The judges liked it but hey said the beans and potato let it down. Manu thought the saurkraut was too sour.

In the end the Tassie girls were eliminated.

1 Jane { 04.04.11 at 11:31 pm }

Ester and Ally were robbed! Forgive the pun. The boys should have been in the cook off I agree!

2 davsimp { 04.05.11 at 1:05 am }

who was the poster who said it is always the white aprons that get eliminated? They are on to something here. Didnt the tassie gals have the whites on this evening?

3 seepi { 04.05.11 at 5:54 am }

I thought the criticism of the beans and potatoes not being spectacular was a bit harsh.

What happened to simple homegrown produce, let the flavours shine etc etc.

I thought Esther and Ali’s dish looked fabulous (but then i love sauerkraut). Is Esther hungarian?

4 Littlepetal { 04.05.11 at 7:08 am }

Yep. I was right again with the white apron. Now I want to know whether they have to re-shoot if the wrong team won but then the judges will have to hang around for the re-shoot.

I also think Bill and Alex should be in the cook-off. It is so obvious that their dish is worse than Esther and Ali. Esther and Ali did the pancakes which are very difficult to make and they did cook the pork beautifully. I hope the boys are not one of the teams in the final.

5 Jasmin { 04.05.11 at 7:09 am }

All of the teams except Kane and Lee seemed to have unnecessary side dishes which used up their much needed time. As one of the chefs said, they should have concentrated on the flavours of the core ingredient.
Ann Maree and Nick had the right idea when serving the lobster – by serving it whole (even though they didn’t have time to put the head back on the platter). Bill and Alex would have improved the appearance of their dish if they had served the Coral trout whole on the bed of lotus pods, and it would have been more authentic.
Daniela and Stefania vs Manu – definitely the comic relief. Who wouldn’t cook stock from scratch? :)

6 Jasmin { 04.05.11 at 7:12 am }

PS Littleetal – I had my eye on the white aprons, as soon as I saw Ali and Esther put them on I was wondering if your theory was correct!
What’s the story? Do they have a set of both white and black?

7 Wirstsemmel { 04.05.11 at 7:44 am }

It’s a joke. Esther and Ali shouldn’t have been in the cook off.

Of course, this morning there’s rumpled on C7 of breaking up love interests….with the boys?

8 AnnyB { 04.05.11 at 8:34 am }

Why the big issue over cooking their own stock….which I have always thought they should….when they have packet stock in the kitchen. That stock has been used on a number of occasions without any big drama. Massels must have loved the fact that their product was hidden under the bench.

Seepi, Esther’s father is Italian.

I do wish that Kel and Ash were still in the competition.

9 AnnyB { 04.05.11 at 9:36 am }

About the sauerkraut in Esther’s dish….the cuisine in Northern Italy is different to that in the south, less emphasis on pasta, tomatoes. Judging by Esther’s fairness I would guess that her family were from the north and the closeness to Austria and Germany would have had an influence on the cooking style.

10 sourkraut { 04.05.11 at 1:19 pm }

This is B/S! Stud and Duds Chinese offering loked outright toxic, certainly worse than the Tassie girls and they yet again dodged the bullet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, why flog it to death and have another cook-off? Why not judge it on the Chinese cooking where the WA girls glop looked seriously in need of first aid.
Talk about rigging a show!
On another note 10,9,8,7,6………1 zero prrrrfffftttt Manu farts and blasts off into orbit… hooray
Further, the only thing interesting about last weeks bush ballad were the flies buzzing round manu(re’s) head

11 sourkraut { 04.05.11 at 1:27 pm }

Seepi
Sauerkraut is not a Hungarian dish, its German. Interesting thing about it is that unless the cabbage is marinated for many days in a pickling jar, the only way to obtain it for a show such as this is in cans (not very nice) or from a deli which is not available to the contestants. (supposedly)
And Manu you dope its not called Sauer- Kraut because its sweet. Obviously it is acidic and sorry mate but it does go beautifully with chicken, which is nowadays with all the whore-moans in it, so flavourless it needs a strong accompaniment..

12 reality raver { 04.05.11 at 1:39 pm }

Jane – I am glad you concur

Davisimp – I am loving the white apron theory is this what producers are using to tell the judges who to eliminate?

Seepi – I think the rabbit dish would have had more flavour.

Littlepetal – see above comment to davisimp, maybe the producers know who they are goign to eliminated before the challenge starts…

Jasmin – maybe the teams thought they would be told off for not doing enough in the hour, if they just served up one dish. They were obviously told what the challenge was the night before as who has the recipes for XO or black bean sauce in their memories?

Wursts- Is one of the girls on with Alex I thought it would be one of the Polish girls to nab him. I will have to look at the Sunrise link.

AnnyB – It is one of those things the judges whinge about – but only sometimes depending on who is cooking. Not an issue on Masterchef Australia as Campbell stocks sponsor the show. So the judges never raise it.

13 Wurstsemmel { 04.05.11 at 2:05 pm }

As with anything, it all turned out to be nothing, RR. Just a rumour and the girls denied it this morning.

14 brain dead dave { 04.05.11 at 2:14 pm }

There aren’t hormones fed to commercial chickens, Sourkraut. It’s a myth.
I thought the same until several weeks ago when this was thoroughly debunked on an episode of Landline.

15 reality raver { 04.05.11 at 2:15 pm }

Sourkraut – YOu crack me up I have been waiting all day for your comment on the sauerkraut (sic).
I am in two minds about whether a team should be eliminated just on the chinese challenge without another shot. As some teams were so outside their comfort zone. It should have been WA versus NSW. I must say Esther thinks she is the stronger cook of the two, but it has been Ali’s desserts that have always shined.

16 Wurstemmel { 04.05.11 at 2:53 pm }

I just can’t wait to see Sourkraut’s comments on the new Dancing the the Stars (stars used rather loosely) as previews this morning suggest lots of gratuitous (and copious) cleavage. His cup will surely runneth over….

17 Littlepetal { 04.05.11 at 4:55 pm }

Look like next week there will be 2 semi finals and the winner from each semi finals will go head on in the Final.

I really hope my theory about the apron will be proven wrong.

‘maybe the producers know who they are going to be eliminated before the challenge starts’

The show loses its credibility if that is the case.

18 Littlepetal { 04.05.11 at 9:42 pm }

Tomorrow night will be another cook-off to test my theory!!! I want to be proven wrong!!!!!

19 sourkraut { 04.06.11 at 9:06 am }

Wurstsemmel
It wont be my cup that runneth over, but undoubtedly some will. Aaahh the joys of silicon

20 sourkraut { 04.06.11 at 9:10 am }

BDD
maybe the hormone situation has changed re chickens in the last few years, but I have a mate who owns a chicken raising facility and he assured me that the feed is laced with hormones.
Either way, chicken without marination or bucket loads of “jus” is pretty bland. The only flavoursome chicken I’ve found is the TRUE free range chicken, but that’s pretty hard to locate as any clown can put that lable on their chooks

21 sourkraut { 04.06.11 at 9:12 am }

Littlepetal
Credibility?????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Its just as bad as masterfarce!

22 Culinary Boner { 04.06.11 at 9:53 am }

The dumping of the Tassie cop tottie duo was written in the ratings. I expect the producers are aiming for a NSW vs Vic finale.

23 sourkraut { 04.06.11 at 1:13 pm }

Boner
I hope you are not seriously suggesting the competition is in some way slightly pre-ordained. I yam shocked

24 Love you Ali! { 09.04.11 at 6:48 pm }

Noway! Im watching it in new zealand and now theres no point. Im totally in love with Ali so they shouldve won!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for my hissy fit.