The X Factor Australia – Why Are We Not Getting Local Talent?

Mel B aka Scary Spice is now strongly rumoured to have signed on for the Australia version  of The X Factor. She will replace Kyle Sandilands. This will make it two english judges on the show, which to me shows a cultural cringe.

One theory could be that Simon Cowell wants to control who is cast, however how are we expected to get behind the local talent on the show if no one has any faith in the local talent already in the industry?

The panel if the rumours are correct will consist of Guy Sebastian, Natalie Bassingthwaite, Ronan Keating and Mel B. Mel B when she mentored the singers on one of the shows last year was fine but not that memorable.

Do the big stars pull bigger ratings? Personally I like to have a bit of undiscovered talent on the show. Remember when Dicko hit our screens on Australian Idol and was embraced and loved by the viewing audience.

There must be one local music industry person who has the charisma to do the role. A behind the scenes guy or girl. I know I constantly suggest Roger Davies, P!nk’s Australia manager, but he has been around a long time and would give a different perspective.

What about some male or female stars in music? Some examples of people I would at least audition are Simon Day from Rat Cat, Tim Freedman from The Whitlams, Chrissie Amphlett now she would definitely rock it. Or because she is over 50 has she hit some magically can’t be on TV barrier?

What do you guys think? The TV industry is so small here why not at least try give the locals a crack at it.

The Sunday Telegraph announced Mel B will start filming after the birth of her third child.

1 joan { 04.24.11 at 12:29 pm }

I gotta be honest and I love Mel B she is hilarious and will tell people up front if they suck and they need someone who will. Her reality show is one of my favourites. But I like your suggestions also as long as Altiyan Childs stays away from the show I will be a very happy camper :-) They should erase him like they did Matt Newton :-)

2 Mia { 04.24.11 at 1:05 pm }

As you suggested with the Dicko example, I would like to see a Sony A & R/manager type, or a record producer on the panel. It’s all fine and well to have a ‘nannas favourite’ like Ronan gushing that some kid is “world class”, but we really need someone who will tell it like it really is/how it has to be in the cut-throat music industry.

Mel B might have been a part of a hugely successful record company marketing exercise/cash cow/group, but the woman couldn’t carry a tune in a bucket. Her own musical credentials are basically non existent. She can certainly teach the contestants how to sustain a career with little talent by publicity seeking alone though.

3 PollyB { 04.24.11 at 3:26 pm }

I don’t watch this kind of stuff, but totally agree with –
‘This will make it two english judges on the show, which to me shows a cultural cringe.’, and ‘… however how are we expected to get behind the local talent on the show if no one has any faith in the local talent already in the industry?’

4 Karla { 04.25.11 at 6:19 am }

I don’t think the producers could win either way. If they opted for a new homegrown talent the press would have moaned that they need someone well known to bring in viewers. It seems that the Telegraph are going to try their hardest to “kill” the show before it even starts, just like last year then.

5 Jo { 04.25.11 at 8:34 pm }

So who is this second English judge? Last I checked, Nat & Guy were Australian, and Ronan was Irish.

6 Juani { 04.27.11 at 5:42 am }

I think they should choose Renee Gayer, she’s got the experience she knows how to sing, she knows what the industry’s like…

7 Reality Raver { 04.27.11 at 8:48 am }

Jo – LOL you have got me there Ronan is Irish I should have said judges from the UK…

Karla – I hope the show gets a good run. Ronan and Guy were great last year. Hopefully a lot of talent will audition.

8 Mel B Confirmed For The X Factor Australia | reality ravings { 04.27.11 at 10:11 am }

[…] In what was revealed in the Sunday papers Mel B will be a judge on The X Factor Australia. Here are my thoughts on that in a previous blog post on why we should use local talent. […]

9 Joan { 04.27.11 at 3:37 pm }

“I should have said judges from the UK…”

lol, you did it again RR. Ireland is not part of the UK.