Survivor – Redemption Island – Is Special Agent Phillip Just Faking The Crazy?

Two issues emerged from tonight’s episode for me. Firstly has Boston Rob gone all Jack from  Lord Of The Flies and become some sort of freaky megalomaniac? Secondly is Special Agent Phillip faking the crazy as he says he is?

Phil has now revealed he has worked for three security agencies – did he get sacked by all of them? Or was he really a civilian? Anyway he has “revealed” his strategy as acting the crazy and then at some stage he will somehow become “normal” and win jury votes. Considering the make up of the jury will be starting soon he may want to show there is some lucidity there.

I am not fully buying his strategy, as he is so insecure and just wants to be accepted by the group. For example on tonight’s episode he asked Boston Rob why the other alliance had voted for him at tribal council and Rob knew to give him the reassurance and ego massaging he required.

Speaking of Rob he realises  Phil is exactly the person you want to take to the top three with you, as at this stage he will not pull one vote.

Boston Rob appears to have turned some into a control freak dictator with his tribe, as David said he was like a prison officer. He tries to ensure there is someone with the other at all times so they cannot be nobbled.

Also a certain amount of the old Rob arrogance is emerging, he would not let his alliance eat the fish Ralph had caught on the reason that they were in rigor mortis. Hello they are still a hell of a lot fresher than the fishmongers. Zapatera thought it was like a Boston Rob cult and it did feel like it. Grant tried to show he wasn’t completely under the control of Rob by taking a bit of fish, but he wasn’t so confident to sit down for a full meal.

I thought Rob was a little unhinged tonight but then he does admit that he has idol paranoia that he will be blind sided. His aggression when they thought the idol was under the flag was just over the top.  Also there is no way he can play his idol as his tribe will be peeved he had not told them about it, and they will be making up the majority of the jury.

However he did make me laugh when trying to decide who to eliminate he said to camera “I’ve been known to have a mercy killing in me from time to time, haven’t I” on whether they should vote for Steve who has had enough and wants to go home.

Unfortunately for Mike he was dispatched, the rationale being that he might be able to beat Matt at Redemption Island.

There was a second immunity challenge which Andrea won. Tribe members also had the ability to sit it out and eat, and only two decided to do this – the old guys, Steve and Phillip.

This time Derek was eliminated who did think at this point it might be more advantageous to have control over your own fate over at Redemption Island. But first he needs to beat Grant and Matt in a challenge, and he does not have their physicality.

Here is Jeff Probst’s blog from the episode and also here is another blog post where he answers questions. One of the interesting answers is where he admits there is editorialising and how this can effect veiwers perceptions of what is going on. This was in response to a question about why the public can’t vote on the person who should win.

The other interesting thing is the reason his shirts fit so well he gets them made for him.

1 Neil { 04.27.11 at 7:55 am }

Yes I thought there was a moment of lucidity to Phillip last night in his stated method of using Rob’s thinking to get to the final three. So well done to Phillip for that one. It reminded me of a jury duty I was on when throughout the whole trial I was buggered to understand the defence tactic. All was revealed at the final summation. However he still lost the case! So I don’t know how Phillip thinks he will pull it off.

As for the other group – they need to get up and in the faces of Rob’s tribe. Walk up and take their food. Start talking about cult like leaders and their control over people (Jonestown anyone). Otherwise they are just waiting to be executed one by one.

2 Darryl { 04.27.11 at 7:56 am }

No Derek in this series.

3 Callie { 04.27.11 at 8:34 am }

Of course RR means David (the Jewish man with the Jewish name) and not Derek!

4 Reality Raver { 04.27.11 at 8:50 am }

Oops yes David, late night brain lapse.

5 PollyB { 04.27.11 at 10:01 am }

Due to this RI the whole show was just two eliminations. The episodes need to be longer.
However, it is pretty boring as the whole Ometepe tribe aren’t doing anything and if Rob keeps control of those do-do’s till the end that’s the way it will stay.

6 Reality Raver { 04.27.11 at 10:18 am }

Polly B – They are Rob-bots… One of them is got to make a move soon.

7 PollyB { 04.27.11 at 11:12 am }

LOL, too true. I’m hoping it is Grant.

8 Darryl { 04.27.11 at 2:42 pm }

My tip is the 3 girls will blindside Rob at final 4. Karma is a bitch hopefully

9 Joan { 04.27.11 at 3:42 pm }

I’m a Rob-fan, but watching how he’s managed to turn his alliance into a cult has me a little worried about how much I enjoy him. Still, I think it’d be something if he manages to make top 3.

I loved Philip explaining ‘Stealth R Us’

10 Wurstsemmel { 04.27.11 at 4:08 pm }

I think Philip is putting on an act but its as hammy as hell. I get his idea behind his behaviour but don’t see him actually being able to pull it off.

I love Boston Rob but I’m not at all keen on the way he’s playing it this time. Cult like indeed but you have to wonder at people who don’t eat when they’re starving simply because he tells them not to.

11 Sourkraut { 04.27.11 at 8:02 pm }

Raver
Am I getting to you re Snot blob? You seem to be losing the lurrrv. I watched the ep last night out of curiosity to see if anything had changed this series. Nope, still the same, Rob still wearing the fake tan, the baseball cap (forwards, not backwards?), the sleazy gold chain. Yep the whole uniform! and he is still the same old maniplator. From the little I have seen, I hope Matt On redmption (ha ha) island wins.
Neil surely you dont want to think about how Phil “pulls it off”

12 Reality Raver { 04.27.11 at 10:15 pm }

Neil – I love the way Rob has a little harem as well. I will be interested to see Phillip changes his persona. I kind of hope he does.

Polly B – agree I thought at one stage Channel 9 had edited back the episodes, they have been known to do that.

Darryl – I think Andrea? the one that was getting cosy with Matt will be the one to instigate the coup against Rob.

Joan – So you would join the cult of Boston Rob?

Wurstsemmel – His tactic maybe to keep them weak so they don’t have the brain power to question his actions? I was just having a discussion on twitter about is Phil faking it. In fact someone thinks he is a plant/actor.

Sourkraut – I do love your term for him Snot Blob. Last night the love diminished a bit. It is still a Masterclass performance from him. Particularly not letting anyone be alone.

13 Susan { 05.11.11 at 10:49 pm }

Have missed last 2 epeisodes – am keen to catch up on who’s got the boot – any updates?

14 Izobel2 { 05.12.11 at 2:21 pm }

Susan – if you’re talking about Tues night (2 nights ago), they sprung a double ep on us with no prior notice, and basically all the Zapatera are now gone. From memory Julie got voted off (muscle fire woman), then Ralph & Steve (I liked him). Ralph was voted off then they all stayed at Tribal and had to vote again, so Steve got the chop. Then in the next ep Andrea was blindsided as she thought crazy Phillip was going home but Rob (he who is in charge of everything) decided Andrea was a bigger threat and he’s still keen on keeping Phillip around as it takes the limelight off of him. It’s getting interesting now as they have to vote off ‘their own’. Phillip found his shorts that Julie buried under a rock. Now he thinks he’s even a bigger legend… They had a visit from their loved ones and Mike over at Redemption won and he could choose to either hang out with his mum, or send his mum away and let Ralph & Matt (still on Redemption) hang out with their loved ones…. or the last idiot dumb idea, Mike could give all the stupid Ometepe tribe their loved ones and leave poor old Ralph, Matt & himself zero lovin… So Mike who’s obviously been hanging out with Matt to much referred to God and said “oh it’s a no brainer” and said something about being good to your fellow brothers in chapter whatever versus whatever, and gave the loved ones some happy time back at camp with Rob and the followers… And they all murmered ‘thanks’ and Mike said “just don’t vote me out again” – in case he returns to the game from Redemption Island. Hope that helps!

15 Susan { 05.17.11 at 11:19 am }

Izobel2 – thanks SO much – fabo recap – man, am spewing I missed the double one – but am happy to be caught up for tonight – I really dont want Boston Rob to win, actually I cant say I like any of the other Opitera tribe either mmmmmmmmmmm – wait & see I guess – thanks again :)

16 PollyB { 05.18.11 at 7:43 am }

Snotblob is reeeeeeaaaally getting up my nose. Pun not intended. He is soooo creeeepy.

17 Susan { 05.18.11 at 11:43 am }

Spewin – accidentally read a US blog yesterday and found out the winner – no point in watching now – although it did say the re-union show was a doozy!

18 Izobel2 { 05.18.11 at 12:01 pm }

Hey you’re welcome Susan. I was hoping you’d actually read what I wrote!! I don’t want to know the winner, but I actually said to my husband last night that I thought the re-union show would be good as although Evil Russell left so early, he’d have a lot to say about the capitulation of the entire Zapotera tribe! I thought Rob should’ve got rid of Natalie instead of Grant. Wonder if Grant will win at Redemption. Looking forward to next week’s ep… I can’t believe that everyone at Tribal is upset when they’re blindsided!!! Like derr, they have to vote off SOMEONE, it’s not as if Jeff says “it’s time to vote” and the tribe can go, “well, we’ve had a think about it , and we all love each other, so that’s fine we’ll just stay where we are thanks”.!!!

19 Susan { 05.18.11 at 12:16 pm }

I agree with your comments totally – I also read online that they will continue to bring back 2 previous contestants in the new season – not sure I like this at all ….. and I promise I would never tell winner – I hate spoilers too and was really annoyed at myself for reading that blog – DOH!

20 Izobel2 { 05.18.11 at 12:49 pm }

When RR had a bit more time up her sleeve she was doing weekly posts on Survivor with Jeff’s weekly blog too, that was very entertaining and gave a bit more inside gossip and info about the show without giving anything away about future eps. I will have to search for them AFTER the season finishes as like you I hate spoilers so I avoid those sites like the plague! Thanks for the info re: bringing back 2 previous contestants! Let’s hope they bring back JT and Colby again purely for eye candy…. And please let it NOT be Special “Crazy” (not that crazy) Phillip & Coach!

21 Susan { 05.18.11 at 1:00 pm }

I love this site – RR gives the best updates and some of her follower’s are hilarious ! One guy I really liked this season on Survivor was Ralph – sorta reminded me of Rupert – but the whole prefice now from Survivor seems to concentrate on the old contestants they have brought back – I think they have had their chance before so why not give someone new the opportunity ….. thaanks too for the Survivor chat – have needed a ‘hit’ of that hee hee!

22 Izobel2 { 05.18.11 at 1:12 pm }

I really liked Ralph too. I basically dislike every girl this season. Yeah I’m on this site every day for basically every show! Don’t know how I get any ‘real life’ done in my day!