Masterchef Australia – Top 50 Names Starting To Be Released

With Masterchef Australia kicking off on Sunday some of this years contestants will find their life changed forever, or they may find that it not quite the transformation they expected. However Justine Schofield, like Poh and Julie Goodwin has managed to sustain a successful Masterchef career with her new show Every Day Gourmet, Injera does an hilarious review of it on BlahBlogBlah.

One of the interesting things in the early episodes is trying to pick the contestants who will be the ‘stars’ of the season.

Names of the top fifty NSW contestants names have started to be released, and  if this a hint of who will make the top 24 I don’t know or are they just giving a few bit players their time in the Masterchef Australia. Also readers you know the pack drill if you know them I would love to hear from you.

The contestants announced in the Daily Telegraph are:

Greg Andren – 31 from Erskineville who is a barista. He also plays guitar, sings and writes his own music;

Kate Bracks – 36 – a stay-at-home mum with three kids. Was a teacher before having kids. Lives in Orange but was raised in Sydney;

Peter Vickery – 50 – account manager for a Sydney framing company. Went to drama school and has worked as an actor.

The cynic in me wonders if Greg and Peter applied to try and increase their profile with their artistic endeavours. If that is the case good luck to them, however they better be able to cook….

The Queensland  people named in the Courier Mail are:

Dive instructor Adam, 30, and fruiterer Michael, 35, are the first two Queensland contestants named in the top 50 of the popular show.

Michael’s nanna burst into tears when she got the news.

“Cooking is something I have enjoyed doing all my life. I used to cook with my nanna when I was younger,” Michael said. “She is a crier at the best of times, but she was very proud and happy that one of her grandkids loves cooking like her.”

Adam, who has owned and run Go Dive Australia since his early-20s, decided to audition for the show to find out if he’d taken the correct path in life.

“I was working at a restaurant as a youngster, but had a bad experience with a head chef,” he said.

Adelaide Now online has not contestants name revealed, however they review the first episode, and reveal what is in the first mystery box, and quite frankly the arrival is more exciting then the ingredients in it. Clearly they are as they say going back to basics. Don’t read the next sentence if you want a surprise on Sunday night, however it is potatoes, mince meat, and lemons. Otherwise known as the inaugural  Julie Goodwin mystery box.

1 Paula { 04.29.11 at 11:29 am }

I just heard that Billy from from the blog “A Table for Two” is one of the top 50

2 Reality Raver { 04.29.11 at 11:33 am }

Paula – You might say that but I cannot possibly comment. If he is on it I hope he goes far.

3 davsimp { 04.29.11 at 11:38 am }

Alice, Alice, Who the fuck is Alice? No idea but she is from Brisbane and made it to the top 50 because someone pulled out.

And Please no one ask me why I was browing the Vogue site.

4 davsimp { 04.29.11 at 11:41 am }

Also I have to add I loved Injera’s blog post about Justine’s cooking show. Tempted to tune into a couple of episodes now just for a laugh.

5 brain dead dave { 04.29.11 at 11:50 am }

Good name for the mystery box…it’s the same shape as Julie Goodwin.

6 Culinary Boner { 04.29.11 at 12:08 pm }

Please Raver, what is you have against your male readers?
First Nigella frumping away in a tent and now … eeww… I’ll pass on Julie Goodwin’s ‘mystery’ box if you don’t mind.
Very inapt description

7 smauge { 04.29.11 at 1:18 pm }

LMAO BDD!
Erskineville? Barista? Musician? Has anyone checked that this isn’t just Aaron trying to have a second run? Maybe he’s taken the germy old beanie of his head so we wouldn’t recognize him.

8 sourkraut { 04.29.11 at 1:58 pm }

Spuds mincemeat and lemon. Its a mystery how any of the contestants will not do spag bol or some arsehole will do a lemon tart dessert. Id like to see someone cook potato balls and bounce them off the wall.
Bet they haven’t changed the rules to make them use ALL yes ALL the ingredients. Love to see what Suckhole Sakai would artistically cobble up with those three.. probably a lemon meringue mincedmeat and mashed potato sorbet

9 Maz { 04.29.11 at 3:25 pm }

Mmm-Interesting description ‘Lives in Orange but was raised in Sydney’. The sin of living in regional NSW needs to be ameliorated by having a Sydney connection. Can’t wait for the sneering distain to begin.

10 brain dead dave { 04.29.11 at 11:50 pm }

” had a bad experience with a head chef ”

“decided to audition for the show to find out if he’d taken the correct path in life.”

Too sad for words.

11 Reality Raver { 04.30.11 at 1:55 am }

Davis imp – I totally need to know why you are on Vogue Forums. Actually they are a font of information. Also Injera’s blog is the bomb and she should blog more frequently. Of course I can neither confirm nor deny whether I am buttering her up so when I hit a masterchef recap wall she can take over…

BDD – as soon as I wrote about Julie Goodwin and the box I thought of you. I knew you would not let me down.

Culinary Boner – I thought you loved Nigella?

Smauge – Re: Aaron well there is that dodgy facial hair

Sourkraut – LOL you are right about the Iron Chef reference and those Japanese judges would be eating that pie and thinking it was delicious.

Maz – I agree there is a bit of cultural cringe there or as you said regional cringe- are we to be reassured that she knows what persian fairy floss is… But considering Orange is a foodie she obviously know her shizzle.

Brain Dead Dave – come on this is only the beginning of these trite quotes. You love it.

12 wallah { 04.30.11 at 4:15 am }

Davsimp, if I want to know anything about females I hop onto the Vogue Australia forums. As RR said, a font of info. Also, if you’re planning a wedding, the ladies on there seems to have done all the research you need!

13 Top 50 Masterchef Contestants Unmasked | reality ravings { 05.01.11 at 4:26 pm }

[…] blog post with names from NSW and […]