Masterchef Australia – We Have Our Top 24

Well we now have our top 24 and it looks like a diverse one, however I must ask why are they not more lenient on the good looking guys? Both Nick and Dan have been eliminated.

Conversely Ellie the attractive blonde 20 year old student nurse who put an egg yolk in wonton wrappers and fried them got through. The judges were in raptures that the egg yolk was still runny. I mean seriously this is a dish we won’t be seeing in any eating establishment soon.

Also Dani a publicist from Victoria is in even though she turned into a gibbering mess in the taste test.

Tonight they started off with a taste test challenge. It was Matt Moran’s dish which was Aria’s signature consomme.

They told them them four of the ingredients, but had they had to name the other 26. Each person had three minutes to do so.

Matt the goth food blogger from Melbourne identified 20 of them whereas at the other end of the spectrum Nick and John only got six.

But seriously how was anyone meant to get mandarin peel? Also why didn’t the contestants have to identify the specific type of stock? Maybe it was one that was not in the Campbell’s range.

Dani, the Victorian publicist lost the plot and wrote down pork instead of duck and dropped a dirty spoon back in the dish.

I love the way Matt Preston and Matt Moran sneered that no one had identified three of the ingredients.

How the fuck was anyone meant to get mandarin peel? However, one person that should have was Jay who actually admitted to the judges he had read the recipe a few nights before. You would have thought he would have remembered this more unusual ingredient, in fact he only got about 15 of the ingredients right.

Just as the contestants were wondering what would be the advantage of doing well in the taste test all was revealed….and it was a cracker of a challenge.

It was an invention test where you could only use the ingredients you had identified in the taste test plus the four they had previously been told were in the dish, which were eggs, salt, pepper and the oil.

Of course Nick who only identified six was in trouble, however Ellie was in more trouble then the early setllers, as she had not identified a protien, thus the egg yolk in the wonton wrapper scenario.

Dan who was the only person to identify abalone in the consomme, was obligated now to use it in his dish, however he had never cooked it before, and this would be his downfall.

When the judges came around to talk to him and he revealed he was poaching it, Matt Moran gave him a not so subtle hint that he should saute it instead. It did not look like he took his advice….

Is there some sort of seafood cooking rule that when you have no idea what to do with the ingredient you poach it? It is the second time in a week this has occurred and it has ended badly for both contestants. Remember Jess and her poached flathead?

Sun who I do think is going to be a “controversial” top 24 contestant, revealed she had been a vegetarian and had only recently started eating meat. So I really hope there is an offal challenge at some point to really flip her out.

Matt who picked twenty of the ingredients to make a dish crumbled a bit under the pressure. He did not plate up his dumplings, and if you can over flambe something he did it with the duck breast. He got in the top 24 so let the Sydney and Melbourne foodblogging war begin.

I thought the judges were again condescending to John when judging him. George gave him a mild slap for not browning his chicken properly, but then praised him for stuffing the leg it. “A great effort” he said.

I don’t think the judges should be nasty, but in my mine just judge him the same way as anyone else please.

The contestants that got through tonight to the top 24 are:

Peter Vickery, Tom the wine manager from NSW, Ellie, Sun, and Matt the foodblogger from Melbourne.

Andrew the guy from Port Lincoln is through. As is Shannon, Paul Lombardi, and Rachel who managed to maul both Zumbo and Matt Moran. Dani, Jay and Chelsea were also through.

I felt sorry for couple of the contestants that were eliminated tonight as there were at least two Ariana and the girl with the short blond hair, who got no air time at all.

By the way for Callum fan’s he is now writing a blog on the official website here.

1 Mandi { 05.08.11 at 11:22 pm }

Really disappointed that Nick didn’t get through. He’d done quite well (certainly better than some of the others) up till now and I was looking forward to watching his cooking. On the other hand, very glad to see the back of machine boy Alex.

2 AnonyMousse { 05.08.11 at 11:24 pm }

Yes, a very diverse group – there must be at least 2, maybe even 3 non Anglo-Saxons there.

I was completely shocked when 4 people I barely recognised (due to them never getting any lines) were asked to step forward, and they were told they were eliminated. Kudos on your subtle editting, Channel 10.

Now, for the non-sarcastic portion of my response: Thankfully the judges didn’t go for the choice many of us dreaded, and Alex left, eliminated.

Also, at this stage I’m surprised that people don’t just automatically put down ‘stock’ on these taste-test questions (or at least the ones where you don’t get eliminated for a wrong answer) – it’s almost always in there in some form or another.

3 Dakota { 05.09.11 at 1:19 am }

I Agree with you totally Mandi – but again I have to admit Nick would have been great to watch for cute reasons as well lol. But yes as hot as Alex was, it was the Alex show for faaaaaaar too long last week and would have driven me crazy having to watch him all the time.

One last thing that upset me esp RE: Nick & Dan’s departures, was that they suddenly let 2-4 people into the Top 24 whom we never saw before, at least not in any great length unlike Nick especially whom we got to know. I understand they can’t show us packages for everyone that got in otherwise it’d be obvious but what a waste of investment into the storyline/person! And thankfully the show is based on the Judges verdicts otherwise those last few ppl let into the Top 24 would be out in the first 2 weeks lol.

4 zibb { 05.09.11 at 6:47 am }

@anonyMouse agree about the diversity issue, I think everyone is white (though with varrying levels of tan-ness) except Billy and Kumar. Is it just that the few non Anglo-Saxon contestants have done well in previous years (Poh, Adam) or were the other seasons originally more diverse?

5 C J { 05.09.11 at 6:55 am }

6 dmc { 05.09.11 at 7:00 am }

Why do they persist in this stupid ‘reveal’, where they call out a group of people and we instantly know if they are all going through or not based on the fact that the first person is someone they praised? How about a little suspense?

7 sourkraut { 05.09.11 at 8:06 am }

This group is about as diverse as the hairs on my bum!

As to poaching abalone, what a lot of baloney. I remember about 100 or more years ago when I travelled the dirt road across the Nullabor to Perth , when there some nurse friends and I went and collected abalone off the rocks at Scarborough beach ( I think it was) and took it back and proceeded to “bash the shit out of it with a meat hammer (very therapeutic too) and then fried it in butter and other stuff I cant remember and it was very soft and very nice too. (bet you cant get abalone there off the rocks any more)
This show is now so much of a parody of itself that I can hardly be bothered lampooning it any more.
Paul, I am disappointed, I have no conspiracy theory yet, and at this stage I could not give a rat’s who wins although I think I would like to see Kumar do well.

8 JaniceG { 05.09.11 at 8:08 am }

Big shock for me was Dani – we already know for sure that she can’t handle pressure.

Have to agree about the cannon fodder. There were about 5 people whom we’d never seen before. Wish they’d spent a lot less time on Alex the Earring Boy and Sun and let us know just a little bit about those people instead. Their relatives probably thought they were lying when they said they’d gotten on the show given that we never saw them.

And what is the deal with egg-yolk ravioli? This is the second one we’ve seen and the judges have been in raptures about it both times. Is this a big new food trend I’ve missed?

I’m hoping Sun gets the boot pretty soon. I don’t think she’s got either the background or the personality to do well in the competition, and I find her annoying as well.

RR, definitely agree about the condescension to John. And Jay, WTF? If you read the recipe but then screwed up the actual test, why the hell would you confess that to the judges?

@dmc: I’d rather not have any additional cheesy “suspense” attempts – Gary and Matt both do the whole “my face looks stern but everyone knows that means you did well” thing and it drives me crazy. (George hardly ever does it, probably because he can’t really get away with it.) If you’re happy with a dish, don’t do a fake-out, just let the contestant know. It’s not creating any real suspense for the audience and toying with people isn’t nice.

9 Culinary Boner { 05.09.11 at 9:23 am }

Hey sourkraut, you raise a more interesting topic than last night’s ordinary viewing – just how does one undertake a census of their bum hair? Is yoga a requirement?

10 Shelsta78 { 05.09.11 at 9:48 am }

At least Lobes left us with a quality to camera ‘this is it, either that dish is getting me into the top 24 or I’m going home’… Really Alex in a challenge that you’ve been told is giving the last 12 places away? + he used the word Amata

RE: judging of John – I did think it was condescending, but no more so than last year when they were judging the habitual female criers that kept walking off the set. I just don’t think they knew how to handle it – in both cases.

@RR I can’t believe Nick didn’t make it through either – male eye candy factor seriously impacted by that elim.

11 Rosie { 05.09.11 at 10:01 am }

I taped last night’s show in order to watch Manu (who IMHO trumps Gary and George lol), so so far have only seen the very end of the show.

I cringed at the condescension towards John, then cheered when Ear Lobe Boy finally left. Why in God’s name did he get so much exposure?!? Ugh.

I am now looking forward to the next lot of culling.

12 Culinary Boner { 05.09.11 at 10:17 am }

The condension to John is unfortunately typical in our society and is a common reaction of many ‘well-meaning’ morons. I recall many years ago being at a citizenship ceremony when one of the about-to-be newly minted Aussies shuffled onto stage. They guy had cerebral palsy or the like and took some time to ackwardly get to the preposterously dressed Lord Mayor to collect his certificate. When he got there a substantially part of the audience started clapping him – something they hadn’t done for any other person. One could not but help feel embarrassed for him (and annoyed at the moronic dumb-f**ks) being singled out for such condescending applause.

13 Sooty { 05.09.11 at 10:18 am }

Vale, Lobes, the Lobernator, Earring Guy, Stretcher Dude, and as someone pointed out on another forum that he reminded them of Hotdogs on Big Brother (yes! it’s been driving me crazy wondering who he reminded me of and that’s it, but at least Hotdogs’ hair grew back from the dumb zigzag and those big holes will be their to haunt our Lobes forever… and ever…), Hotdogs II.

14 JaniceG { 05.09.11 at 10:28 am }

@Rosie: Impressed your taping lasted to the very end of the show. I was really cheesed off at Channel 10 because my DVR recording stopped right at the point where they called the final 6 up! Luckily, Ch 10 already had the videos on their web site. (I’ve now adjusted the series link to automatically add another 20 minutes.)

15 Shelsta78 { 05.09.11 at 10:33 am }

@JaniceG – that timing thing drove me INSANE last year – I missed the end of quite a few eps, before I managed to fix it.

16 Maz { 05.09.11 at 10:37 am }

Re:Ellie. At least we now know who will be doing the Harvey Norman Cooktop ads this time next year.

17 David Allen { 05.09.11 at 11:00 am }

Plus 1 about the unknowns who were eliminated. We don’t know Ariana but she was apparently from my wife’s work. We were cheering for her on that basis alone but try as we might we didn’t even glimse her most nights. Only saw her in a panning shot once last night before the elimination. Bit rough to not even see whether she could cook or not. I guessing here but I figure they film the whole first week (at least) before they even start to edit. Then if some, like Ariana, aren’t exciting or wearing a funny hat or something, every shot of them is dumped. Why then did they even show these mystery people being eliminated. I’m surprised they didn’t just say from the start that these were the top 46 and be done with it.
Also, have you noticed that the top 50 didn’t even have profiles on the website. Only the top 24 get that. That’s different from last year.
All a bit rude that.

18 littlepetal { 05.09.11 at 11:39 am }

I could understand egg ravioli that Danielle did a few nights ago. She made some tasty (I think it was tasty) rocket pasta and that could be nice. Try using bought gow gee skin and put an egg yolk inside. Yes, the egg yolk might be running but there is no taste at all!!!

I know she has very few ingredients to start with but that dish is not good.

19 Q { 05.09.11 at 11:58 am }

I’m chinese, and my mum puts mandarin peels in all the soups we drink. I hate it, but I guess it’s common practice to add to chinese soups or as they say in masterchef ‘consomme’, enjoying your blog btw

20 littlepetal { 05.09.11 at 12:11 pm }

Yes, mandarin peels are used in the Red Bean soup/desserts.

21 littlepetal { 05.09.11 at 12:17 pm }

I forgot to mention about Sun. There is something about her that is not right. Her behaviour is strange. Did you notice how she react when she got into the Top 24- she just stand there and stare blankly. Took a while for her to get excited.

On her bio-she was a Hare Krishna follower. Her name is Chinese. If her name is Chinese and pronounced as ‘Soon’ it should be spell as ‘Soon’ and not ‘Sun’

22 Paul { 05.09.11 at 12:23 pm }

Agree with Culinary,
The condescending way they spoke to John was pretty embarrassing really. I was cringing every time they singled him out.

No diversity issues for mine. Anyone who thinks reality television skews white bread hasn’t been watching much reality television. You only have to look at contestants and winners from past reality shows to know that its a non issue for the audience these days.

Hell, the MC final was one of the highest rating shows of all time last year and the two finalists weren’t exactly Tony Abbott !!!!

Home & Away and Neighbours on the other hand………..

23 ann { 05.09.11 at 12:28 pm }

was checking tweets after last night’s episode…alot of people seemed really upset that alex is gone from the show…wtf? he was in every single elimination round last week and hasn’t done anything outstanding with his cooking! i bet if he did get through, ppl will be pissed that other more worthy contestants didn’t get through. however, i still don’t know how sun manage to get through to the top 24.

24 sourkraut { 05.09.11 at 12:58 pm }

Paul
so how many non anglos made the cut of the final 24? Maybe thyat’s the start of the new conspiracy theory
B oner
as to viewing the hairs
i nby periscope
ii Mrs SK peeked but only ONCE, not a pretty sight apparently, but all very similar
Apparently egg yolk ravioli is the new IN boring Italian pasta to be flogged to death like that god awful risotto

25 sourkraut { 05.09.11 at 1:00 pm }

well Ann,
you know what they say about what shines out of where

26 Chunks { 05.09.11 at 1:26 pm }

I don’t understand the carry on about diversity. I think people are looking for discrimination where there is none. The line up reflects the people that entered the competition and the winner of last year was Asian. Australia is still very much a Caucasian country outside the inner cities and I doubt that most recent arrivals from Sudan or Afghanistan are settled enough just yet to be worrying about getting their mugs on reality TV shows.

27 brain dead dave { 05.09.11 at 1:27 pm }

Its a pretty diverse group…of white trash.

This is hot on the heels of four families of white bogans grossing out down to the wire in The Biggest Loser.

Adam Liaw was on The Circle this morning. He obviously hasn’t called Jenny yet.

I fear we’re going to be Sunburnt this season. Poor Earlobes,it’s tougher for left handers.

28 Emma { 05.09.11 at 1:45 pm }

So so so condescending to John, I totally agree. Also ignorant – I mean he just has CP, he’s not stupid ffs.

Ditto on the egg in wonton wrappers and the mandarin peel. I’ve never heard of using mandarin peel! And how would you distinguish it from orange peel even if you’re figured it out?

Eh. It’s not like we all don’t know it’s rigged 😉

29 Chunks { 05.09.11 at 1:51 pm }

I’m willing to bet that Neil Perry could distinguish between mandarin peel and orange peel in a stock. I’d be mildly surprised if George could.

30 Miss Piggy (MelbaToast) { 05.09.11 at 1:58 pm }

Serioulsy, why is this the first we’re seeing of the fighter pilot dude. I mean, as a child of the 80s and massive Top Gun fan I feel this should get the editors sacked. He may not be a hot tottie, but he can fly a fight plane! Sigh.

Oh, yeah, in other news glad that Lobes went home, not so happy about the Sun sticking around.

31 Wurstsemmel { 05.09.11 at 4:22 pm }

Omly just watched it.

My first thought was ‘isn’t the taste test meant to be a thing of the past?’ I guess the difference is that it only indirectly impacted on the elimination. But still….

The more I watch this series, the more it’s the same old, same old….
Gary, in particular, was doing the ‘oh, your crap’ look….and then exploding into hyperbole. George is still throwing out those second hand motivational tit bits. Bleurgh. Again, not watching if anything more interesting is on.

How are the stats, RR?

Please send Sun home soon. She looked so bloody miserable when she heard she made the 24, I was prepared to even give the spot to Ear Lobes over her.

32 Culinary Boner { 05.09.11 at 4:25 pm }

I’m really looking forward to Sun/Soon having to deal with some form of OTT meat challenge. Perhaps they need to do one of those pointless medieval banquet tricks where you stuff smaller animals into ever larger ones and roast the shit out of the whole affair. Or alternatively, and even grosser, what about having to make ya own blood sausage, courtesy of Cole’s secret stash of pig’s blood and oatmeal, which is next to the bone marrow Chris Badenoch used a couple of season’s ago in the secret Terry Pratchet like part of the supermaket? Hopefully this is why MCA has Heston B on board. Lamprey blood paella anyone?

33 celebrity diet { 07.29.13 at 6:18 am }

I always spent my half an hour to read this
blog’s content every day along with a mug of coffee.

34 new stock exchange { 03.29.14 at 1:18 am }

To avoid finance zero turn bad credit destroying a client’s piece of
jewelry, do not accept the job unless you know you can start a business, and how you think starts becoming how you take action.
Having a home business requires no rent at all
and this can be a very valuable asset for you in the
form of time, skills or money. I saw this industry as a way of collecting email addresses and developing an opt-in list.

More finance zero turn bad credit over, make sure
you work in should be businesslike AND separate from your living area.

My homepage new stock exchange