Is There Going To Be An Australian Top Chef Or Hell’s Kitchen??

The good news? A casting call has gone out looking for professional chefs to be in the “only professional cooking competition”.

Are we finally going to get an Australian version of the fantastic reality show Top Chef? However when I read the prize was “the chance to secure the role of head chef of Australia’s “hottest new restaurant” I thought it must be an Australian version of Hell’s Kitchen the show Gordon Ramsay hosts in the US, where the skill level in the kitchen is not great.

Or maybe they will be just mix the two.

Anyway it is a Fremantle production, and my guess is Channel Ten have commissioned it as a vehicle for Matt Moran.

Maybe the piece of viral marketing he did for OZ Harvest here was really an audition for the show. The network wanted to ensure his Gordon Ramsay impersonation was up to scratch.

If you are interested in applying email nicole@acastofthousands.com.au with a recent photo and your CV.

Source: Hospitality Magazine

1 PollyB { 05.11.11 at 7:38 am }

I hope it is TC. I watch HK too and yes the skills of the contestants are questionable. Trying to make a head chef out of a day care centre cook! I’ve also read that recent series winners haven’t got their prize of head chef. It is off around the country spruiking the sponsors and training in the kitchen. Which is what they need. So really hope it is TC, and that Fremantle don’t f*ck with it. But, I’m betting it is HK cos MM and Ramsay have been known to catch up when Ramsay is here.

2 JaniceG { 05.11.11 at 8:34 am }

Oh, noooo. I’m watching “Top Chef – Just Desserts” which is the first Top Chef I’ve seen and all the inter-contestant bitching and outright sabotage is really getting to me. If that’s true of most of the Top Chef competitions, I hope they don’t try to duplicate that formula here.

What I really want a local version of is either (a) Great British Menu, which pits pros in regions against each other for some big gala event finish; or (b) the original UK MasterChef formula – no house, no hordes of contestants, just 6 people in, 3 people out for four days; end of the week, 6 people in, 1 person out; semifinals; finals. Cooking shows that are solely about cooking – what a concept!

3 Laura { 05.11.11 at 11:32 am }

I love Top Chef, hate Hell’s Kitchen.

It is a lame prize – the idea should be that professional chefs compete on the show to promote their own restaurants or win money to fund their own ventures… If a chef is good, he will easily get a job as a head chef with enough experience under his belt. So they are actually discounting competitors who are already head or executive chefs, which weakens the talent pool!

I will watch it anyway….

4 Culinary Boner { 05.11.11 at 1:05 pm }

While in theory I’d love an Australian Top Chef – afterall the ‘culinary boner’ reference is from the US show’s 2008 Chicago season* – I reckon that a lack of a deep enough pool of talented second-tier chefs along with lack of quality female presenting tottie like Padma and Gail Simmons mean we’d receive a way inferior product anyway. Given our stations are good at schlock like Beauty and the Geek and Big Brother, I reckon we should just go with the Hell’s Kitchen concept but ensure we ramp up the abuse, imbecility and sleaze. I have to admit that when my cranial capacity to down so low that I even find watching rubgy league too challenging, I can sit for hours lapping up Gordon hurling the f-word and undercooked proteins at deluded f***wits. And our local production standards could surely outdo the sleaze of the US version’s cutaways to the female contenders in their underwear, nighties or, better still, cossies whilst cavorting in the spa, puffing ciggies and unsubtly indicating they prefer doggie over other positions. Hell we might even catch a glimpse of minge. Bring it on I say! Only problem is, who could play Gordon?
* you can even buy a boner tshirt:-

though i personally prefer the COCK t-shirt sold so unsuccesfully by Top Chef New York’s Euro-trash masterpiece Stefan – http://www.realityravings.com/2009/06/27/top-chef-update-on-stefan-richter/

5 Shelsta78 { 05.11.11 at 1:19 pm }

I’m so torn – I love Top Chef, but I’m not sure how it would translate to the Australian cooking community. Depends who they get to present – I’m not sure I’d enjoy Mr. Moran as the Head Chef – although he does follow the ‘bald’ rule set by Tom C.

Also – MC has stolen so many of the TC style challenges that for those who haven’t seen the original on PTV may think that it was a rip off of MC rather than the other way around.

I’ll look forward to another time wasting show either way!

6 Shelsta78 { 05.11.11 at 1:27 pm }

PS – @JaniceG – Just Desserts was much bitchier than any other Top Chef I’ve watched. However on the + side it does have a way hotter head chef.

Wow my posts on cooking shows are starting to have a distinct theme…

7 sourkraut { 05.11.11 at 1:45 pm }

I suppose matt moron dropping the f-bomb was practise for the Oz Hells kitchen.

8 PollyB { 05.11.11 at 5:30 pm }

TC Just Desserts is waaaaay bitchier than the other version, puerile, and I’m bored with it. And not just cos on Easter Monday Foxtel showed ep 9 instead of ep 5!!! I would also love an Oz version of Great British Menu. I want to see professionals in action and their delish food.
And can’t wait for new season of UK MC, although it has been f*cked with to look more like our pathetic version.

9 Injera { 05.11.11 at 6:14 pm }

JaniceG – I love Top Chef (and, to echo the others, “Desserts” is not typical of the show at all) but I adore your idea of Great Australian Menu! How I love the GBM! Of course, they seem to have the benefit of a smaller set of countries and a fairly wide regional variation… Can’t WAIT for the next Great British Menu to start here!

Also agree with others that our track record in translating successful reality formats hasn’t been stellar. It was good to see how badly the US messed up Chopping Block, as I thought that was a decent little show here.

10 JaniceG { 05.11.11 at 7:02 pm }

@Shelstra78: If you’re talking about head chef Johnny Iuzzini on Top Chef Just Desserts, personally I think he looks like an escapee from a road company of Grease.

@PollyB: Yes, we got caught by the Ep 9 for Ep 5 fiasco on Foxtel. And there wasn’t any escape: by the time you figured out from the first few minutes that it was a later show and not Ep 5, you’d already seen which contestants were left. Extremely annoying.

11 PollyB { 05.11.11 at 7:03 pm }

Anyone know how US went with their version of Oz MC?
I liked Chopping Block too, not least cos of Matt Moran’s involvement 😉