Wes Carr Second Album Delayed Due To Anxiety Issues

wes-carr.jpg

If you had been wondering where Australia Idol’s winner Wes Carr’s second album was well we now have the answers.

The Daily Telegraph reports:

IT took a crippling panic attack on a flight to America for Australian Idol survivor Wes Carr to come to grips with the demons that had stalled his long-awaited second record.

As the Qantas flight taxied down the Sydney runway, the anxiety disorder Carr had tried to ignore since recording his post-Idol debut record The Way The World Looks took over.

The 28-year-old singer-songwriter was on his way to Nashville last August to write songs when he told flight attendants he had to get off.

“I was having a full-blown panic attack, people were taking photos of me with their phones and I had to get off the plane. It was horrible,” he said.

Carr sought refuge and treatment on the North Coast for six weeks before heading back to work on his record late last year.

“I have always had problems with anxiety, even when I was a kid, but I swept it under the rug and adopted this persona of Wes Carr from Australian Idol,” he said.

And of course news of his anxiety disorder comes on the day his new single Been A Long Time hit the airwaves. I think talking about mental illness is important but I do get a bit cynical when this is used as a publicity hook to get news of his new single.

1 smauge { 05.13.11 at 1:43 pm }

I’ve had panic attacks and it ain’t no fun. I don’t think it matters so much when it’s spoken about, just as long as it IS spoken about.

2 brain dead dave { 05.13.11 at 1:59 pm }

His bank manager will have a panic attack when his new CD sinks without trace. I absolutely respect artists like Barbra Streisand and Brian Wilson that have anxiety disorders and produce good stuff but Wes Carr’s output is 110% recycled cheese.

3 Wurstsemmel { 05.13.11 at 4:34 pm }

Panic is a terrifying experience that can restrict people’s lives enormously and it diminishes what people go through if it is used as a throwaway piece of publicity…of course, we don’t know if you are right or not , RR. but I find it hard to believe that a plane on it’s way down the runway would stop and let a passenger disembark (after all a recent Singapore flighy didn’t curtail its flight when a passenger had a heart attack) and I find it even more unbelievable that any of those people taking photos of Wes with their phones didn’t bleat this story to the media.

In any case, would that many people really recognise Wes and , nmore importantly, would anyone really care?

4 Reality Raver { 05.13.11 at 10:09 pm }

Wurst – I would have thought people would recognise him but be not that excited by him. But then the new world with cameras on phones maybe people take photos of everyone.

Smauge – I think it is great to talk about mental health and be open about it. But I just irritates me when it is used as a promotional tool or when caught out. But it does not irritate me as much as when a celebrity gets caught with their pants down and then claim sex addiction.

BDD – I feel a bit sorry for Wes, but I think you are right, probably not enough talent there.

5 smauge { 05.14.11 at 12:57 pm }

Or worse, when they party too hard and blame depression. Purlease!

6 Phil { 05.14.11 at 1:44 pm }

I was in the top level of the MCG at the Hawthorn v Geelong match having a similar horrifying panic attack to that of Wes’s when a well-meaning community service message about anxiety came up on the big screen. Instead of helping me it reinforced the panic and its (then and there) reality. I had to leave the match before the game even started.

7 bella vita { 05.15.11 at 8:37 pm }

Probably still suffering from anxiety due to when he turned up for a melbourne show and 2 people were in the audience