Masterchef Australia – Mystery Box – Chelsea Just Does Not Get It

Seriously how stupid is Chelsea already once this season she was told she could not be judged because she had shared ingredients and dishes with Alex in a challenge. Then tonight she accidentally takes Alex’s pasta from the fridge, and then when told she continues to use it. They showed she had just rolled out the pasta, but that could have been tricky editing and she may have already stuffed the tortellini.

Well that is the only excuse I can think for her not going to get her own and rolling it out. The other thing  is what about if Hayden had stuffed up his rolling out he would have been left with no pasta to continue to work with.

Tonight it was the mystery box challenge, but the twist they had to use all the ingredients. They had 70 minutes to do so.

The ingredients were rabbit, leek, garlic, carrot, cheddar, olives, swedes, lemon, lemon thyme, mustard fruits, and butter.

I thought the rabbit was a great ingredient, however I was surprised at how many people in the top 24 had never cooked it before. It looked like at least 50 per cent of them were cooking on the fly with the key ingredient.

As was the case in the early rounds last year we don’t get to see everyones meals, and the editing does tend to indicate who is in the top and bottom three.

Billy the Sydney foodblogger admitted he was out of his comfort zone, and his day did not get better from there. His rabbit wrapped up in cling wrap came undone and he had to start again. The next time he pan fried it.

Jay frenched the ribs, and was also cooking the kidneys. I know his plate looked great but I dislike that smearing of the mash on the plate, it never looks like enough is put on.

Cleo cooked rabbit loin stuffed with olives and caramelised leeks – Matt said “Perfectly balanced”, George said “This makes me so happy, this is an absolutely delicious dish”.

Ellie cooked twice cooked rabbit with roasted swede –  and by the looks of it she needed to cook it three times, as  it was not cooked at all. However Gary had a little taste and said the sauce was good.

Alana made pancetta wrapped rabbit with olive wrapped kidneys – George said it was “Delicious” and he loved the presentation and Matt thought it was  “One of the best of the day”.

Alex’s steamed rabbit mousse  looked revolting. He should have quickly pan fried it after steaming it. Gary did not like it “Mousse grainy, jus burnt, pancetta slighty chewy, and a horrible sensation in your throat”. George said he did not really want to eat it.

Rachel made roasted rabbit leg with candied carrots and olive gremolata even though she forgot the pancetta she got a positive response. Also props to her when she realised what she had done that she laughed about it instead of bursting into tears.

Craig cooked baked rabbit loin wrapped in pancetta  with swede chips.  He used the lemon thyme as a garnish, very clever. “Great cooking” said Matt Preston. Gary said “Absolutely delicious,” and he gets an extra point because he used the Masterclass jus technique.

Chelsea made pancetta wrapped rabbit fillet with liver stuffed tortellini – she was told it was ugly. Also to be dramatic they called Hayden up as well to judge at the same time and he was told his dish was absolutely beautiful.

Peter was told his was dry and it had rabbit fluff on the bone. “That would not be acceptable in a restaurant” said Gary. I think Peter should have just blamed whoever had butchered the rabbit for that.

Billy cooked rabbit tenderloin wrapped in pancetta. George asked if he had used the belly not the loin. Also it looked raw.  George just said “No comment”. Billy said it was the most embarrassing moment in his life.

Jay  made a Rabbit Tasting Plate. George thought it looked beautiful, and said he had done a marvellous job

The top three were Craig, Jay, and Cleo, no suspense there. Jay was the winner and he will get the chance to get an immunity pin this week.

There was a bit more suspense with the bottom three and they were Billy, Alex and Ellie.

Ellie broke down and cried and did the “this means everything to me” of course George took the opportunity to give her a hug. Some things don’t change from season to season!

After reading that one of the bottom three had been spotted in a preview for the team challenge on Wednesday I was going to have a go at Channel Ten about there ongoing stuffing up on these things. Remember the classic one where in the middle of the Marion and Aaron elimination challenge, there was an ad where you could see  Aaron cooking in a future episode.

However I had to rewind the preview twice before I spotted it, however if you want to know who does not get eliminated in the pressure test click here.

1 Oshada { 05.15.11 at 10:32 pm }

SPOILER!
(It was Billy wearing a red apron. Hilarious!)

It’s a shame we didn’t get to see Kumar’s dish. Did he put his hand up when asked who had cooked rabbit before?

2 AnonyMousse { 05.15.11 at 10:36 pm }

Well, a lot of people have asked why they’re not forced to use all of the ingredients in the Mystery Box, so hopefully that contingent was satisfied by tonight’s episode.

Rachel’s risen in my books by laughing over her mistake – good to see not everyone’s a drama fairy. On the other hand, just how long can Alex survive, though- seriously, he might have cooked well a couple of times, but his failures are becoming much more rememberable than his successes.

I’m also really beginning to wonder how much Jay’s lived, breathed and slept Masterchef since his unsuccessful run in the first season – too much, I suspect the answer is. More than any other contestant, I worry that he’ll perform on-the-spot seppuku with the nearest kitchen knife if he ever gets eliminated.

Oshada – bad form, posting the survivor’s name one line under a Spoiler tag – people will see the name in their peripheral vision before their brain’s even processed the word ‘Spoiler’.

3 littlepetal { 05.15.11 at 10:36 pm }

Also if you read the TV guide for Wed challenge you will also know who got eliminated!!! Time for champagne?? but I forgot I don’t drink alcoholic stuff !!!!

4 littlepetal { 05.15.11 at 10:37 pm }

RR, I have sent you an e-mail.

5 Oshada { 05.15.11 at 11:23 pm }

Apologies.

Since the production team seems hell bent on keeping Alex in, I reckon Ellie will be eliminated. Such a shame though, we have to suffer through more episodes with Mr. Lobes.

6 AT { 05.15.11 at 11:29 pm }

any idea why the production team really wants alex in? he hasn’t done anything outstanding.

7 Reality Raver { 05.15.11 at 11:35 pm }

My theory about Alex being back in, is they always put in someone that people love to hate. Or think is not a good enough cook for the top 24. Like Kate from last year, and Sam from season one.

8 Shelsta78 { 05.16.11 at 12:25 am }

Moussaarka & his hugging of the young blondes… It’s so predictable.

“it means everything to me” – here’s a hot tip 19 year old – if that’s the case – drop out of nursing school run straight to your local TAFE and get an apprenticeship.

Alright that’s my first and last get an apprenticeship blast – online anyway – I will still yell it at the TV every week when they are 19 years old and cry like that.

9 JC { 05.16.11 at 1:21 am }

TV guides (inadvertently) giving spoilers. Wednesday challenge is a “boys vs girls” challenge. Losing team of 11 contestants to face off on Thursday episode. As there is currently 12 boys and 11 girls, Ellie is safe. So after checking the spoiler-link, that means the next person eliminated on Monday’s episode is……………

10 Crabtech { 05.16.11 at 3:41 am }

From your lips to God’s ears JC.

11 AnonyMousse { 05.16.11 at 7:50 am }

Boys vs Girls? What is this, Grade 4 Basketball at a primary school?

12 EH { 05.16.11 at 10:09 am }

I reckon it was a good challenge to use all 11 ingredients from the mystery box. Glad to see some talents emerging. Finally! Liking the spoilers the help figuring out who is leaving tonight.

13 Culinary Boner { 05.16.11 at 10:14 am }

Keeping on the wabbit-season-Warner-Bros theme, George MousaaaakaArse can now be officially dubbed ze Pepe Le Pew of the competition, with his anaconda-like hugging of any chick under the age of 30. I can hear George now, mimicking Manu’s accent: “I am ze locksmith of love, no?… I like it! Come back! Ze corned beef does not run away from ze cabbage!”*

* Actual skunk of love quotes.

14 davsimp { 05.16.11 at 10:50 am }

OH THE DRAMA!
THE SUSPENCE!
Who will it be??
Obviously not Billie, as there he is in a future preview in a red hat. Obviously not Ellie, as she pulled a Claire Whinging-Burnout and “earned” squishy Georgie’s sympathy vote. That can only leave one other. Oh what’s his name again? Dark haired guy from WA who hasn’t had much camera time.
Where’s Brain Dead Dave? We need to tell him the plumbing in the lav has finally been repaired.

15 Reality raver { 05.16.11 at 12:19 pm }

JC good logic. And they probably wanted to flick s guy tonight to ensure teams were even for wednesday

16 brain dead dave { 05.16.11 at 1:43 pm }

Hello davsimp. I may refrain from further comment until after this afternoon’s ‘Encore’. Network 10 must really love Sunday because it seemed last night was a series of commercials interspersed with brief snippets of Ma$terchef. The audience were treated like rabbits.

More crying, lucky groping George is there to comfort.

17 sourkraut { 05.16.11 at 1:44 pm }

Annonymousse
About bloody time!
More boring pasta Yawn!
Like the idea of the wabbit would have liked to see warner bros cartoon in the background… wabbit season… duck season etc
Thought someone should have served it up raw, sorry very rare as the food snobs seem to like their meat. At least the Golem would have liked it that wayu, and how much more sopissticated than that can one get? , saw him the other night criticising Samwise G for having the temerity to stew it although the golem did not know what taties were, obviously has not watched these clowns trying to boil them whole.
Oh dear this is really getting tedious, noone to like (apart from Kumar) or dislike apart from Matt and Geo and Gary who have NOT changed their spiel since season 1 despite assuring us mugs at the prequel that all would change. SIIGGHH when yer on a semi good thing flog the crapper outta it!

18 sourkraut { 05.16.11 at 1:55 pm }

R%aver
Re smearing the mash on the plate. …does not look like there is enough on. You are dead wrong. when my son went to TAFE to do a chef’s course he was taught to smear things across the plate for exactly the reason that it DOES make it look like there is more on the plate. How do you think these tight-arses in restaurants get away with it and thus make a profit, unless everyone that goes to their cafes is from the biggest loser or are cunningly disguised as sparrows. (with apologies to Mr Robinson) (look it up Gen X and Y)

19 Injera { 05.16.11 at 5:46 pm }

Finally watched the ep, although reading the recap and comments I wasn’t all that inspired to (of course, by “watch” I mean FFx12 through most of it).

I am hoping that Ellie stays, if for no other reason than that she is a 19 year old student nurse who is “finally” following her dream. Think of it, people. If she is booted now, how much do you want her taking your blood when she re-enters the health service… As others have noted, that vom-inducing George cuddle might have been to make up for Gary saying “SUEDE? You cooked with SUEDE?” which actually raised him in my estimation.

And Alex. I would probably be less disgruntled (more… gruntled?) with this show if the judges actually sucked it up, threw Moran under the bus, and said “dude, can you ACTUALLY COOK ANYTHING? Because it doesn’t seem so. We’ve made a terrible mistake. Go away.”

Chelsea. Oh dear.

I’m still thinking maybe that preview was a red herring. After all, MattP told the bottom three to “gird their loins” in preparation for the elimination which means one of them might accidentally spend the day doing ab crunches.

20 littlepetal { 05.16.11 at 5:52 pm }

I may be out of topic here but I just found out that another Malaysian has won the Masterchef NZ. We have Poh (almost won), Adam here and I think Billy chances of winning Masterchef is getting slimmer by the day.

I don’t think they will pick those young contestants who are barely 20 because I just don’t think the public will want to buy their cookbooks (I won’t).

21 Crabtech { 05.16.11 at 9:03 pm }

Are they for real? How can Gary praise alex’s meringue when he helped him make it after Alex made a mess of his first attempt! Not to mention the b*****y gallery!!

22 JaniceG { 05.16.11 at 9:17 pm }

@Shelsta78 My husband gets really aggravated by anyone under about 24 going on any of these competitions: as you say, if they really want to be chefs, why don’t they just go do the training for it?

As for the episode, I FF’d through because we were watching Eurovision on Sunday night (Whole contest was worth watching just for the wacky Moldovans, Serbia got robbed and we’re not sure why Italy got many votes at all, let alone came in second.) I’m really tired of Billy — he seems to get easily confused and hasn’t yet learned that there’s a time for individuality and a time to get the basics down. Even worse, he doesn’t seem to care very much. Alex, OTOH, doesn’t seem to have the cooking chops: he tries hard but I just don’t think he has experience or technique to get through.

And I’m really, *really* tired of seeing the same faces in the interview (although we luckily didn’t get Sun). There are about 3 contestants that I think we’ve only seen for about 5 minutes total so far this season because the others are getting so much screen time. I can sort of understand it due to who’s cooked what on the day but some of the interview time could be more evenly distributed.