Pressure Test – Alex Finally Bombe’s Out Of The Competition

I had a bit of drama tonight the appliances short circuited in the house and meant the recording of Masterchef stopped. I saw the first and last ten minutes.

Anyway not that there was any tension in the episode due to a couple of spoilers by TEN and in a TV guide which indicated who was eliminated, and it was Alex.

Tonight Billy, Ellie and Alex had to cook a Coconut Cherry Bombe Alaska which looked delicious, but with a lot to do in the 2 hour time frame. They had to make the cherry sorbet including pipping the cherries and making the sugar syrup. Make the coconut icecream,  the sponge, and meringue, and then assesmble everything. Considering all that I am surprised anyone finished.

Alex was in trouble from the start as he just seemed to do one step at a time, and he cooked his coconut custard, but then was meant to cool it down in an ice bath, but he did not have that prepared, and the custard curdled. He never really recovered from that.

Ellie was just methodical and this worked in her favour in the end as she had a beautifully presented dessert which saw her being the first to be told she was safe.

Billy decided to put his own spin on the dessert and add toasted coconut whilst the icecream mixture  was cooking to boost flavour. He also did his own style of meringue which made it look like the dessert was covered in golf balls. Maybe it was to match his hat.

The judges thought there were too many gaps in his meringue and his sponge was dense, they did like his ice cream. They also thought putting his own things on it was risky.

I had thought the whole point of the pressure test was to replicate the recipe, however if you improve the dish you might get away with it. But did Billy improve the dessert by putting his own spin on it? I don’t think so.

Alex’s dish had great meringue and sponge, there were some negatives as Matt Preston said there was a lack of sorbet and ice cream. Considering these were the two main components of the dish it was no surprise Alex was eliminated.

Alex has now moved to Melbourne and is looking for a chef’s apprenticeship.

1 skye { 05.16.11 at 9:19 pm }

Thank christ justice has finally prevailed. There was no surprise he went, he was gone as soon as he needed Gary and the cheer squad to get something plated up. I must say that it was a great example of what makes MC the show that it is, they didn’t let Alex crash and burn and not even get a dessert up, even though that might have made a good tv moment. They had Gary get in there and help him get to the finish line.

Anyway, we kept saying, why don’t you just go and get a job washing dishes at the local rsl club? If you are so keen to work in a kitchen then that’s the place to start. My local pizza delivery joint in St Kilda does a pretty good mushroom risotto, maybe Alex can get a job with them?

2 skye { 05.16.11 at 9:22 pm }

PS. we nicknamed Billy’s bombe “Marge Simpson”.

3 SaintsDeano { 05.16.11 at 9:22 pm }

Great title. Love it. I was happy that Alex was eliminated. Words to describe ALEX. nincompoop idiot moron fool simpleton retard ignoramus dunce stupid blockhead imbecile dumbass ninny nitwit jackass cretin dimwit …

4 Injera { 05.16.11 at 9:26 pm }

Skye, in a way I agree that it was good that they stepped in so that he got something up, BUT then they needed to refer to that in judging. Instead the judging was all about trying to create tension between Alex and Billy’s, when Alex would have had nothing had Gary not stepped in. That needed to be said. All the “I’m sorry to see you go, Alex” stuff was just so hollow! He. Can’t. Cook.

Still, I wouldn’t be leaving any food or opened bevvies unattended around the Masterchef house, as I wouldn’t put it past the crew to nobble another contestant to get Alex back in the game.

Billy took a huge risk doing “his” thing with the pressure test. An unnecessary risk. They were supposed to replicate the model, right? Maybe he should have been sent home, too, then Tom could have come back.

When they introduced the task, I was still expecting them to bring out at least one “alament” for the contestants to make without reference to a recipe or a model, just – you know – to make it consistent with Kumar and Tom’s challenge. Ah, what was I thinking? Consistency? Not in this show.

Alex actually said something like “if I get through this, I’ll show you I deserve to be here.” Why wait until you’re on the brink of your THIRD chance, dude? He’s like Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction, though, I won’t be satisfied he’s not coming back until the final episode, now.

5 Crabtech { 05.16.11 at 9:26 pm }

It’s all very well to help him but don’t praise the meringue that turned out ok because you told him the first lot was wrong.

6 Oshada { 05.16.11 at 9:27 pm }

Huh. Apart from the piercings I thought Alex was quite pleasant. Too bad he couldn’t cook to save his life. Who thinks Jay has a chance tomorrow?

7 JaniceG { 05.16.11 at 9:28 pm }

RR, apparently Billy’s actual ice cream was an improvement on the original but nothing else was!

I continue to be annoyed by the help from the upstairs gallery: I’m not entirely sure Billy would have noticed he’d left the flour out of his sponge if someone hadn’t told him. Then again, hard to complain about that too much after Gary helped push Alex over the finish line.

I was totally shocked at the result of the elimination: I’m hardly an Alex fan and he totally mucked up the ptep but in the end, I though his sponge and meringue were better than Billy’s and even with stuff glopped on at the end, it looked better. I didn’t see that much more of a clear sorbet layer on Billy’s than I did on Alex’s, although that might have been the camera angle.

Hard to judge which was worse between them. One one hand, Alex was a mess throughout the challenge and barely made it. OTOH, I think that even though Alex doesn’t have much experience, he still would have been likely to go further in the competition than Billy (“I’m going to do things my own way and not care if I have no clue what I’m doing”) and I would have thought the judges would have taken that into account.

8 AnonyMousse { 05.16.11 at 9:29 pm }

It’s a real shame to see Alex go after seeing the excellent dishes he consistently snort, giggle. Sorry, turns out I couldn’t type that with a straight face.

Here’s hoping for his future teammates that Billy doesn’t present his individual skills in one of those team challenges where they have to make a 1000 canapes or whatever – I’d dread to see what he comes up with.

9 EH { 05.16.11 at 9:34 pm }

I don’t think Alex is annoying but he simply can’t cook. Is Jay going against the chef or apprentice tomorrow?

10 Oshada { 05.16.11 at 9:47 pm }

They said he’s a two hat chef, but I couldn’t recognise him. I have to admit I was pretty impressed when Jay served up his dish yesterday.

11 littlepetal { 05.16.11 at 9:58 pm }

Jay is going against the chef

12 EH { 05.16.11 at 9:58 pm }

Hmmm… Why double standard when Hayden was against an apprentice and Jay is going against a two hat chef?

13 littlepetal { 05.16.11 at 10:09 pm }

Was very happy to see Alex gone. Didn’t like the advice and help given out by the other contestants. If it is an exam, you should be doing it all on your own.

We can than have to judge how bad Billy and Alex bomb alaska. I still think Alex will bomb because he will have nothing to plate up. Billy may not have the sponge but he can still get the bomb on the plate

14 Crabtech { 05.16.11 at 10:10 pm }

EH totally agree about the double standards in who they go up against for the immunity pin. It will be interesting to see how the ratings go this year. I am still irritated with George and his comments about what is in a Greek salad. Why are some people allowed to put their twist on well known dishes which he does at the press club and others criticized and eliminated.

15 littlepetal { 05.16.11 at 10:31 pm }

Just like last series when Gary made a Char Siew sauce which is not an authentic Char Siew sauce.

Thai, Indonesia and Malaysian satay sauce are very different. Nowadays I have seen any sauce with peanuts in it is called a satay sauce.

The judges set different standard for different contestants.

16 Sourkraut { 05.16.11 at 10:32 pm }

mr Wem and mr Kitt were made to deliver a bomb soopreeze, but they forgot two of the ingredients, ie TNT and a clock, so it was not ticking…. therefore alas, Mr Bond… Jaemes Bond,
was not there to hitch the Bombe to the area of their pants where the sun dont shine and pitch them over the rails. PITY!
Matt (he of the jowls) sat at the judgement tableau (french, wow!) with both hands clasped together as if praying to Saint Jude (patron saint of hopeless cases I’m told)that Matt’s glop would be vaguely non-toxic. After a coupla brave spoonfuls he sang its praises so that the mug punters would think he was going to stay (and gess wot? it sucked me in to the extent where the ole ajax acme handy dandy jiffy whiffy tv destroyer was almost let loose for the first time this year) Still after all the help he got from the “meginator” i thought he had it made….. weak as p…ss. Weaker still was Masterfarce virtually telling us Ellie was safe. Surely they could have dragged out the suspense in this regard a little further for my personal delectation?
BAH!

17 Sourkraut { 05.16.11 at 10:37 pm }

Little petal
Wonderful how saint marianne was eliminated on satay sauce, but the one she made, which presumably is one of the recipes in her vast range of commercial sauces, was which one? was it Lumpy land, Thailand, Malaysia or Indonesia?

18 Sourkraut { 05.16.11 at 10:40 pm }

Is a two hat chef something like a two dogs chef or a two shed chef? Or are their heads so swollen with pride they need two hats to cover their bonce?

19 littlepetal { 05.16.11 at 10:46 pm }

Marion is more into Thai cooking and I guess her satay sauce will be the Thai satay sauce.

20 littlepetal { 05.16.11 at 10:48 pm }

You are very funny SK. What about a 3 hatted chef??? They need an umbrella to cover their swollen ego!!!

21 Sourkraut { 05.16.11 at 10:51 pm }

Littlepetal
Maybe they have been too close to Chernobyl

22 littlepetal { 05.16.11 at 10:55 pm }
23 Sourkraut { 05.16.11 at 10:55 pm }

I was waiting for one of them to come out with the old brandy bottle, pour it over the whole mess, set it alight, chuck it on the floor in front of jowlsy, and dance around screaming OLE!

24 brain dead dave { 05.16.11 at 11:30 pm }

Alex made a suicide bombe. There must be 24,000 better amata cooks than him in Australia. Still,who knows what he could achieve in a couple of ears.

Poor Billy’s bombe looked rather bombastic. He could have toned it down a bit.

25 Lily { 05.16.11 at 11:34 pm }

I’m glad Billy didn’t go home.

26 brain dead dave { 05.16.11 at 11:40 pm }

Yeah, Billy deserved to stay even if his dish looked like a torched echidna.

27 Shelsta78 { 05.17.11 at 12:22 am }

Thanks for the recap RR as always – with the spoilers during the week and everyone’s comments – looks like I made the right decision to go to Dumpling Monday and have my mouth numbed by sezchaun pepper corns instead of watching.

28 JC { 05.17.11 at 1:51 am }

Deja vu in tonight’s episode. Start spreading the news because Billy is doing things his way. That’s right, Billy decided to channel his Chinese-Malaysian idol from Season One and put his own “twist” on things during a Pressure Test. Anyone know how to temper chocolate again? Anyone? Poh? Oh, and let’s decide to cook with the INGREDIENT that inspired one’s cooking aspiration, rather than cook the DISH that inspired one’s journey. Still, this show does tend to reward those contestants with an overabundance of confidence (or arrogance) as long as they have the skills to match. Think Chris, Andre, and Poh from Season One. Jonathan and Claire from Season Two. Billy has already cooked two dishes the judges raved about this early in the competition. As long as he doesn’t have another brain exPOHsion when asked to follow a recipe, I would be shocked if he doesn’t at least make the top ten.

29 Jess { 05.17.11 at 4:07 am }

To be fair, JC, Billy chose to cook to the ingredient and not the dish because he had already cooked his “life-changing” dish in a previous episode. Though, I don’t get why he just didn’t make his second-most life-changing dish instead of going for chocolate.
But I thought it was a better interpretation, overall, than a certain someone cooking practically the same risotto twice…

And what’s with the judges not knowing the difference between a Baked Alaska and a Bombe Alaska? Or did they just let the name slide for all the obvious puns?

30 Gillian { 05.17.11 at 8:43 am }

I didn’t mind Alex. None of the top 24 make me ‘ear’itable. Now Alex is out of the competition, I’m going to miss your ear puns Brain Dead Dave!

31 sourkraut { 05.17.11 at 8:49 am }

JC
At least he put the bottom on his Bombe. More than the impohster managed with the crock of bush. BTW I dont recall Andre’s “Skills”

32 AngelSN86 { 05.17.11 at 9:30 am }

I thought the whole point of the pressure test is to replicate the dish presented, using the recipe given. The invention test is where you show creativity and originality. I think Billy should’ve been held more accountable for that. He didn’t follow the recipe. Thats why his sponge was crap. It didn’t look as good as the original and it didn’t taste as good as the original. He just cut corners.

I think they need t0 put muzzles on the peanut gallery up the top. They’re having too much power over the challenges. By telling Billy that he didn’t have any flour, they basically kept him safe. He would’ve been in big trouble if his sponge had gone in the oven with no flour. And they also just confused the hell out of poor Ellie by screaming a dozen different things at her.

33 auds { 05.17.11 at 10:17 am }

LOL @ torched echidna :)

I agree Billy should have been accountable for changing the recipe. It is supposed to be as close to the original as possible.

Having said that I am glad Alex went and not Billy – that would have been terrible. It seems that finally Alex has used up his 9 lives (hopefully!).

I think there are great things to come from Billy and think he will make the top 5 at least.

Time will tell

34 ISA { 05.17.11 at 12:47 pm }

My kids would like me to make this dessert for them asap but I can’t find the recipe of this “Cherry and Coconut Alaska Bomb”! Has anybody got it, please? Thanks!

35 Chunks { 05.17.11 at 1:40 pm }

Alex and the “automated cooking machine”. Too funny.

I notice Jay is cooking off against a real chef tonight. Quelle surprise.

36 librarygirl { 05.17.11 at 1:42 pm }

The peanut gallery drove me crazy last night.

I did like the couple of them who said “I can’t watch/ it’s like a car crash” or whatever and had to walk away and hide their faces.

The clock was obviously stopped once Billy and Ellie had finished. Alex still had a cake in the oven with 20 minutes to go.
There is no way in the world he could have cooled the cake enough (even with the blast chiller) to cut the sponge and assemble the thing without it all melting into a mess.

Tonight I feel like timing how many minutes of ads versus minutes of program. Putting me off big time this season.

37 littlepetal { 05.17.11 at 1:44 pm }

@ISA I have a feeling they will only have the recipe on the MasterChef magazine.

38 librarygirl { 05.17.11 at 1:45 pm }

Incidentally, have we seen Arena have a comment to camera or cook ANYTHING yet? Weird.

39 littlepetal { 05.17.11 at 2:08 pm }

@ISA If you can’t wait for the recipe, try this Chocolate orange bombe alaska:

40 ISA { 05.17.11 at 3:04 pm }

@littlepetal: Thank you! the orange chocolate one looks really good too! I ll try this one for sure!

@Chunks: r u french?

41 Chunks { 05.17.11 at 4:41 pm }

Non ISA, je suis Australien.

42 ISA { 05.17.11 at 4:51 pm }

Well Chunks, you must just like speaking -or should I say writing-in french then! je suis australienne mais aussi francaise, c est pour cela que je posais la question! Cheers

43 Emma { 05.17.11 at 10:06 pm }

Yeah the peanut gallery pretty much always annoys me. I’m sure they think they’re being helpful but in reality … not so much.

“Was that Slobberjowls going in for seconds at Ellie’s sorbet after he ‘d had the spoon in his mouth? Fail.Who knows what goes on behind closed jaws?”

lol at slobberjowls. I noticed the double dipping as well – gross.