Masterchef Australia – Jay Versus Colin Fassnidge

As some commenters have mentioned, is it fair that Hayden received his immunity pin going head to head against an apprentice chef (do we even know what year he was)?Whereas Jay has to battle it out against Colin Fassnidge, head chef at the Four In Hand at Paddington.

Ok the producers tried to even it out by giving Jay the recipe and a 10 minute head start, however still a professional chef against and amateur.

Also good the producers have been reading this blog, and picking up on one of the complaints from readers over  the last two seasons which was the chef the contestant had to compete against also got to cook his own signature dish.

At least tonight Colin had to cook steak and kidney pie, and pastry was out of his comfort zone. Also he was not  given a  recipe. I would be interested to know if the food was judged on taste or how close he got the flavour to Gary Mehigan’s pie.

Speaking of Colin Fassnidge why have we not seen him before. This irish chef was kind of cute with an engaging personality. Maybe he can take over from Manu or Gary on Boys Weekend.

Even Danielle from Brisbane was simpering over him up on the balcony.

He was also very helpful towards Jay, who had been “working” at the Four In Hand prior to going on Masterchef. He helped him when his pastry was breaking up by giving him his.

However Jay was having a disaster and plated up a cracked pie. However Matt Preston thought his side dishes of mashed potato and carrots were better than Colin’s. But let’s face it the pie was the main dish.

No surprise that Colin romped home with the win, scoring nine from George Calombaris and Matt Preston, and an eight from Andrew McConnell of Cutler and Co and Cumulus. Jay scored sixes from Andrew and George and a seven from Matt.

By the way guys I am trying to respond to comments but I am swamped. However I am reading them and hopefully in the next few days I will get back on top of things and respond.

1 Injera { 05.17.11 at 9:19 pm }

Matt’s credibility as a critic took a massive dive tonight when he gave Jay’s dish 7/10, with the lame reasoning that the mash with horseradish was fabulous. From the judges comments, the pie filling was shit and we could all see how crap the pastry was.

Also, Jay? It’s not a “miracle” that you got the lid off the pressure cooker once Gary showed you to cool it down. That’s how pressure cookers work.

Colin should definitely be more of a TV presence. Still, I’d leave Gary and Manu on “Boys’ Weekend” and replace Miguel.

2 Heléna { 05.17.11 at 9:28 pm }

I was wondering how much of the recipe Colin managed to read ;p and he also had the chance to see Jay’s ingredients, before he got his own out – but I still think it was fair, as the apprentice last week had the ingredients given to him, and the dish he prepared was a signature dish from his own restaurant which the chef had said he had made many times before

3 PollyB { 05.17.11 at 9:56 pm }

I’d like to see more of Colin too, RR. And, if Jay had done ‘work experience’ with Colin there is no way MC wouldn’t have known. No?
Completely agree, Injera, Jowlsy is full of it.
Helena, I thought the same, re Colin seeing the recipe and Jay’s ingredients.
I hate these challenges, full pro’s against amatas. But do enjoy watching chefs cook.

4 EH { 05.17.11 at 10:09 pm }

I think the contestants are ‘allowed’ to have work experience with chefs in their restaurants. I remember Jonathan had work experience with Gordon Ramsay prior to MC 2.

5 Laura { 05.17.11 at 10:11 pm }

I think it’s valid to have the contestants compete against qualified chefs… that’s the whole point of the challenge, and it’s supposed to be hard to win immunity. However, I think it’s totally unfair for some contestants to compete against apprentice chefs, while others compete against head chefs. It should be an even playing field.

Also, I much prefer this season’s approach to the “beat the chef” challenge, with the show choosing the recipe (rather than allowing the chef to select their own signature dish) and not giving the chef a recipe. That way, it gives the “amatya” a real chance at winning, yet winning is still a truimph because they have far less experience. It also gives some insight into how amazing a cook they really are. If they can beat a high calibre chef, they have talent and a chance of succeeding in the food industry.

6 AnonyMousse { 05.17.11 at 10:14 pm }

The difference between a 2 hatted chef and a masterchef? One can cook a great pastry based on a recipe he vaguely remembers from his college days 15-20 years ago, from a class where he was probably hungover or something. The other couldn’t manage a decent pastry with an exact recipe, instructions, and a large amount of base material to work around from the other cook.

Work experience in restaurants is allowed – as I remember the rules you’re only barred from Masterchef if you’ve cooked professionally in a restaurant. You’re only classified as a professional in a field when you start getting paid for it, not if you offer to do it for free.

7 Paul { 05.17.11 at 10:23 pm }

I like this season’s approach.

They are giving the contestants a bit of a chance from going against an apprentice last week to not giving a recipe this week.

Colin was really impressive. Hadn’t done pastry for a decade and hadn’t used a pressure cooker before yet overcome these difficulties with ease. Just shows how talented some of these guys are.

8 JaniceG { 05.17.11 at 11:29 pm }

Two questions:

* Was it ever made clear why Jay’s pastry was such a train wreck? I know Gary was at his bench encouraging him to make more but there was clearly something wrong with the consistency and I didn’t hear Gary say what he did wrong.

* Is it just me, or do the contestants seem to be getting a lot more help this season? The celebrity chefs were always a little helpful but they seem much more so this season, as do the regular MC judges. They seem intent on having all the contestants finish challenges – I don’t think Alex would have had anything plated if Gary hadn’t been hanging around and certainly Jay would have been in even worse shape tonight without the extra pastry that Colin gave him, or the advice that Gary did. Not to mention the peanut gallery helping Jimmy through with his pastry during the bombé challenge. Seems to me that last year, people were allowed to fail a lot more.

9 Shelsta78 { 05.17.11 at 11:45 pm }

I like this challenge much better than Hayden’s one.

The four in hand is fab.

Rules aside, I must commend Jay for doing something we often complain the others do not seem to have done before the show – that’s practice.
It appears that Jay has practiced his weakness going off the dish that won him the chance for tonight – I.e. – presentation – many a boofy bloke (with ‘fat fingers’ – was that Geo or GM?) has gone down on this show for their “rustic” plating skills.

Can not wait for the absolute train wreck that will be tomorrow’s team challenge!

10 PollyB { 05.18.11 at 7:39 am }

I don’t care that Jay worked with Colin, good for him. But the 3 fat snorters feigned ignorance to this fact. I don’t like these challenges cos I believe of all the scoring done on this show the scoring for these challenges has no integrity whatsoever. As proved the by fattest snorter last night.

11 sourkraut { 05.18.11 at 8:46 am }

This test was much easier for Jay than for poor Hayden who had to face an apprentice chef rather than one with 2 heads (hence needing two hats), Anyway so Jay won amoonity and hayden didn’t……..say waidaminnit???????????????????
Anyhoo the look of utter disdain on piggy jowls dial when he saw Jay’s pie is now unfortunately burnt indelibly in my memory and will require many bottles of cheap port (in the privacy of my home) to eradicate, Further his bullcrapping on about lovely baked vegies, to try to fool us into thinking it was a close contest………..the buzz, the atmosphere, the crowd, (whoops wrong show) will Jay win???? do bears crap in a lavatory???? is making the whole concept a farce.
I’m glad I watched Mrs Slocum’s pussy instead and only cruised in for a look at mastercrap during the ads.
And fer pharque sake shut the peanut gallery up!

12 sourkraut { 05.18.11 at 8:48 am }

PollyB
You just worked that out?
Go back to series 1 with Chris B for evidence of that

13 littlepetal { 05.18.11 at 9:25 am }

I think the viewers (not those on the peanut gallery) are smarter than they think we are. Last week rating has not been good for MC. Lost out to DWTS and Australia Got Talent.

We know why we are not watching but Channel Ten doesn’t.

14 Culinary Boner { 05.18.11 at 10:11 am }

Thought this challenge okay. However, the producers need to stop telegraphing what’s coming next . Given this show has been on for 2-year-and-a-bit now on virtually every school night of the week from autumn to spring even a casual viewer of limited cognitive ability and memory will have started picking patterns in the show by now. You just knew this was gonna feature a pie or tart when they had them talking about pastry and then cut to a jolly cameo of Mr-Would-Lassie-Like-A-Toad-In-The-Hole-ComfortFood-Seeing-Too-Mehigan, whose speciality is baked flour and lard encasing lumpy meat & gravy. Hey producers, the formula has gone from being embedded in the nation’s collective memory to become part of the national DNA. No wonder people are getting bored and switching off to other televisual schlock like Australia’s Got Talent and D-grader Dance School.

15 Paul { 05.18.11 at 10:58 am }

Just on the ratings.

MC is still dominating in the key demos. The over 50s are helping AGT and DWTS but these aren’t the audiences that advertisers want. Not being ageist, its just a fact of life.

MC is basically tracking at a medium between the first and second seasons.

16 Heléna { 05.18.11 at 11:07 am }

Colin was amazing to watch especially with the pastry – they work so fast

@janiceG it looked to me like he had handled the pastry too much, it needs to stay cool and Jay took way too long to fit it into the tin – I know this becaase my previous shortcrust pastry making has been DISASTROUS! lol

17 auds { 05.18.11 at 12:15 pm }

I was getting frustrated with Jay not being able to open the friggin lid of the pressure cooker. Surely he must have known why it wouldnt open?

Colin was a lovely guy (I thought he looked like a younger version of Liam Neeson) as well as an obviously great chef.

Sourkraut your posts always make me chuckle out loud….

18 brain dead dave { 05.18.11 at 12:25 pm }

Over 50’s are too smart to take Ma$terchef or ratings seriously.

19 Chunks { 05.18.11 at 1:47 pm }

And have to watch their waistlines so they can’t eat at Maccas. Oh and they prefer the Fresh Food People to Coles those over 50s.

20 sourkraut { 05.18.11 at 2:11 pm }

Brain dead Dave
EXACTLY. thats why I would rather watch something else and come back to it during the commercials and for some bits in the middle and the end. Last night had 4 programs in the time slot that were more interesting (to old fartiferous me anyway)
Chunks
Not eating at Maccas…. OOOOHHHHHHH to be young again and thusly taste from the garden of fresh food earthly delights. Trouble is my false teeth get stuck somewhere in between the all bef patty and the sesame seed buM

21 sourkraut { 05.18.11 at 2:15 pm }

Paul
I dont know of any over 50s that watch AGT or So you think you’re a dunce.
AAAHH these coke bottle specs need replacing. else I wont be able to see to support Ma$tercraps endorsed products

22 PollyB { 05.18.11 at 5:53 pm }

Sour, old mate, I have not just worked this out. I was attempting (unsuccessfully) to clarify that I hate the pro against amata challenge in particular, due to the whole concept having a complete lack of integrity. How these chefs even consider playing along is beyond me. I mean any amata scoring above 5/10 against a chef and his/her signature dish seems incomprehensible to me. Guest judge’s are obviously told what to vote. Last night there is nooooo way Jay’s dish was worth 21ish/30 in comparison to Colin’s 27ish/30.
First season I had hoped I could take this seriously, due to my love of past UK MC series. However, I soon realised the error of my ways.

23 NT Kate { 05.18.11 at 6:01 pm }

Hmm, I actually thought this wasn’t too unfair a test – a dish neither of them knew about or had practised in advance, and the lack of a recipe. Certainly fairer than last season’s immunity challenges, particularly given a totally different style of cooking to the chef’s usual genre. As for competing against a chef rather than an apprentice, the chef was certainly pretty impressive, but they are supposed to be competing to be masterchefs after all!

And logically, as the weeks go on, immunity should get harder and harder to get…

But Jay was seriously out of his depth and quickly.

Firstly not multi-tasking/working fast enough.

Secondly not making sufficient pastry (on its failure see below!) – wouldn’t you make extra?

Thirdly, wrong call on order of making dish components (surely obvious that the meat was going to need lots of time, pressure cooker or not!).

Fourthly clearly had never used a pressure cooker before?!

But the biggest problem was clearly the quality of the pastry. Which begs the question – with all of his purported swotting to get into the show on a third time lucky basis, why oh why didn’t he practice making pastry? Pastry has been the undoing of so many contestants in each season so far, and Gary even demonstrated suet pastry in a masterclass at one point I think!

24 littlepetal { 05.18.11 at 9:28 pm }

Some of the contestants still don’t have basic cooking skills. If you want to be a MasterChef, shouldn’t they learn all those basic skills like knife skills, making pasta and pastry, cutting meat, etc

This is the third season of MC. I think they should be call Master Cook and not Masterchef. Cheffing is hard work and you must have a passion for it. Cooking at home once in a while is different.

25 Paul { 05.18.11 at 9:43 pm }

Seriously, who cares what they call it.
People get so hung up on this chef versus cook business.

Its a TV show. They call it Masterchef because it sounds catchier than Mastercook. Thats it.

26 brain dead dave { 05.18.11 at 10:16 pm }

Didn’t Jowlsy say at the Ma$terchef launch that RR went to that most of these could cook pastry etc? Jay’s effort literally wasn’t worth a pie and he ‘s the one gunning for an ammunity pin out of this appalling pack of culinary criminals.

27 davsimp { 05.19.11 at 12:26 am }

That’s right BDD, these folk are good solid home cooks, who know how to get back to basics. This season has changed dontcha know? There will be no drama (guffaws) or tears (arse falls off from laughing) and no elobernated contestants returning (runs to lav coz pissing self)

28 sourkraut { 05.19.11 at 9:19 am }

BDD and Davsimp
How dare you point out the pre program $pin?
Never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn or a bad tv UN reality $how.
PollyB
I agree with everything you said. I was not trying to put you down, I was just trying to emphasise the conclusions you made as the $how ha$ ju$t become a huge farce with no credibility at all. Its like the Tour de Farce, so full of bull that the be$t thing to do is lie back and watch it for the athleticism and think of England

29 Injera { 05.19.11 at 9:39 am }

Sourkraut – this year’s Tour de Farce is going to be even more full of bull. Yes, this year I am getting through the Tour the only way I know how. Taking the focus off who is transfusing and thinking about the cattle. You can follow along over at http://www.lesvachesdutour.com/

30 sourkraut { 05.19.11 at 10:03 am }

Injera
If it wasn’t for the Beautiful scenery of the French countryside (see, I dont dislike everything French) and the chance of a train wreck of greater proportion than ma$terfarce, I would not watch it.
I wonder if Cadel Evans would be a customer for Dr Sourkrauts freshly canned BMT stew to cure his piles.

31 PollyB { 05.19.11 at 6:50 pm }

Sour, I know you weren’t putting me down. And Chris B in series 1, I ffwd him most of the time. Made me skin crawl.

32 brain dead dave { 05.19.11 at 6:57 pm }

The guys in the Tour can’t go downhill as quickly as Ma$terchef.