Guest Post – Masterchef Australia – The Odds

This year we have Punter Paul back to give his weekly odds on the Masterchef Australia.

These are not official odds, hence you cannot actually bet on them.

This is to create discussion on who this week has done well, and who are the favourites to win.

Now over to Paul:

Okay, this was a really difficult exercise considering we have hardly seen some contestants at all. Have to just try and judge them on what I’ve seen so far.

$6.00 Cleo

$8.00 Adam, Kate, Hayden

$11 Michael

$14 Craig

$16 Jay, Alana

$21 Ellie

$26 Peter, Kumar, Shannon, Dani, Billy

$31 Chelsea

$34 Danielle

$41 Arena, Rachel

$67 Matt, Sun

$101 Andrew

Cleo has impressed every time she’s been exposed and seems to be fairly cool in a crisis – which is vital for this competition.

Adam & Kate have hardly been seen but again haven’t served up anything bad. And as our strategist Matt points out, Masterchef is often about not losing, rather than winning. Surprised with Hayden as thought he was a bit of a one hit wonder but he seems to be going from strength to strength. Plus he seems to be really competitive which I like.

Three I am really unsure of are Ellie, Dani and Shannon. Got a feeling one of these three could be right in the finish come the final 4 but trying to pick which one is an impossibility at the moment.

Matt, Sun and Andrew speak for themselves at this stage in the competition although Sun has improved a little from her very ordinary beginnings. Still, they look out of their depth here.

We will all know more next week.

1 Sooty { 05.20.11 at 12:08 pm }

Food for thought. (gar…it’s a sea of puns this time of year.) Plus it cheers me up to remember all the people not really seen cooking much yet – there’ s still hope! Am really enjoying the different viewpoints and voices by having guest bloggers added in, RR, so thanks to all, Injera, Matt the Strat, and now Paul.

2 rb4x { 05.20.11 at 12:47 pm }

I’ll have $10 on Alana at 16:1

3 brain dead dave { 05.20.11 at 1:36 pm }

“Horses don’t bet on people-that’s why they never go broke”

Frank Hardy.

I don’t like the way some of these appalling units sweat at the barrier….I’m rooting for Rachel.

Too much weight in Dani’s sadllebags -she can’t win

4 Pollywaffle { 05.20.11 at 2:47 pm }

Bra size needs to be factored into these odds, plus looking like Gary’s love child might lead to a late scratching (Jay)

5 StuMont { 05.20.11 at 9:07 pm }

I think Jay is really great – he’s the consummate used car salesman – knows how to talk up his car and how to make the car you’re selling seem like a piece of junk – i.e. his putting down of some of the other contestants and taunting them – I bet he’s not the most popular person in the house. But he has learned from his series 1 failure – done tons of prep in the past few years, including practicing in a restaurant and obviously watching and mimicking the tests in previous masterchefs and has a cockiness based on his preparation. He backs himself to sell any car he wants to the judges! But watch out for the setup’s from the other contestants!
I’d also pick Cleo and Hayden to be in the Top 6 based on what I’ve seen so far – they are calm, know what tastes good, know how long it takes to cook a dish and haven’t served up any rubbish so far. The others are still a bit of an unknown quantity to me.

6 Pepper Pig { 05.21.11 at 2:52 pm }

Paul, I think you’ve got it about right…although that Chelsea bird is a bit of a knob and I’m still not sure if she can cook or not. Anyway if she gets booted Lobes can step in to soften the blow

7 Khun Del { 05.22.11 at 4:49 pm }

My picks for top five are:
Haydon, Craig, Jay, Cleo, Michael and dark horse: Ellie
As cookbook sales is one of the things used to pick a winner I doubt they will have a Mum style cook or Asian style cook win as both done before.

I think Hayden has a shot at winning and I’m thinking his cookbook will be seafood or surf n turf type book – sort of matches with his surfie persona.
Craig – seems to know a lot about food.
Jay – I really like all the preparation he has done to go on the show. I cannot believe the number of people who go on the show and don’t know how to make pasta, mayonnaise, pastry, sauces etc. Surely you would do some sort of study of all the basices when you decide to register for the show.
Cleo – so far seems to know how to cook and a potential winner with a modern Greek cookbook.
Michael – had to pick one Sth Aussie cos thats where I live and I wasn’t going to pick Andrew !

8 littlepetal { 05.22.11 at 8:52 pm }

I think the producers are pushing for Hayden but I think he is too young to come out with a cookbook. I will not buy his cookbook. I do agree with the Asian style cooking. I think we have enough of that.

Cleo seems o.k. but I am doubtful of Jay. He looks like a little George or Gary!!!

9 littlepetal { 05.23.11 at 11:01 pm }

I have my tips from some detective work and I think I have the Top 14!!!

My top 5 are Hayden (can’t win), Craig, Billy (can’t win), Alana and Rachael

10 robbo { 05.27.11 at 7:44 am }

Paul, I think you had better rework your odds now that the favourite is out. Can’t see how you can rate Adam or Shannon though as we have seen absolutely zilch of their culinary skills.

11 littlepetal { 05.27.11 at 5:08 pm }

My Top 14 is now Top 12!!!

12 brain dead dave { 05.27.11 at 5:31 pm }

Shannon is the name of a famous horse here in Australia.

This one’s carrying too much weight,however.

13 jeff { 06.28.11 at 1:07 am }

Well i’ve had 2 faves since the start,but now Rachel has gone,i’m down to just Hayden.Of those still left,I don’t really mind aslong as it’s not kumar currymuncher or Sun – I can’t stand her,too up herself and thinks she knows more than she really does.Hopefully she’ll be gone soon.I think Alana could be a dark horse.