Masterchef Australia – It Was A No Brainer Who Would Be Facing The Pressure Test

You knew when Rachel, Chelsea and Ellie, had to smoke octopus they were in more trouble than the early settlers.

Tonight’s challenge the contestant’s had to work in teams of three.

Chelsea, who was dressed like she was going to a Buck Rogers convention,teamed up with Rachel and Ellie. “My room buddies who I love so much”  she gushed. Wasn’t she bagging out Rachel’s leadership style in the Mean Fiddler challenge last week?

Tonight there was no mystery box or invention test, but there was a random element. They had to blindly pick an ingredient and a cooking style. Or as George Calombaris claimed “The unknown of the mystery box, and the danger of the invention test.”

Some teams like Billy, Kumera and Adam got lucky and picked venison and roasting, whilst other like Sun, Craig and Peter got pork to cook en papillote.

And then Chelsea’s team got octopus and smoking and it just went downhill for them from here.

George told Chelsea off for considering drowning the smoking flavour with tomato passata so they changed it to a red wine type sauce.

The food and judging

Sun, Craig and Peter had to cook pork by en papillote. After being shown by Matt Moran his technique they promptly ignored it, and went with their money bags idea. They had pork meatballs, and pork belly with black bean. “All flavoursome” said George, and Matt Moran thought the flavours were balanced.

Alana, Kate and Arena got lamb and frying they made pan-fried stuffed lamb cutlet with a deep fried lambs brain. “I don’t get an over cooked cutlet” said Matt Moran. Didn’t Kate put it back on the stove top to cook as she thought it was too rare?

Also Matt Moran said “I don’t get why you would stuff a perfectly nice rack”

Kumera, Billy and  Adam got venison and roast. Billy was right when he said his team could not screw up the venison and the roast, as they had got the perfect technique for that ingredient. George thought the stuffed venison was cooked perfectly, but he hated the sauce. He thought it tasted to much like vegemite and the red wine was raw. Personally I quite like raw red wine.

Danielle, Matt and Andrew got scallops to braise. They made braised scallops in tomato sauce, served with black pudding and scallop stuffed zucchini flowers. Goth Matt was praised for the zucchini flowers. Matt Preston thought they were a brilliant inspired idea. Matt did criticise the tomato sauce element of their dish. Which raises the question wasn’t that a key part of the compulsory technique, the braise?

Jay, Michael, and Hayden picked fish and en croute (in pastry). They made filo wrapped snapper fillets with boudin blanc. I don’t get why they didn’t make a snapper pie. Matt Preston thought the snapper was over cooked.

Danielle, Cleo and Dani had to poach squab. I thought this was a bit of a hospital pass, but I thought their concept of spinach leaf wrapped squab was good. Two problems Dani’s sauce was unable to be served as it was disgusting. And the squab was raw?

By the way Dani admitted her knowledge of sauces was poor. Just as well she didn’t go on My Kitchen Rules where sauces are compulsory.

And then Team Chelsea served up  the smoked octopus which they served on pasta with a ricotta and lemon stuffed zucchini flower. It looked foul and you could barely spot the octopus.”

It was no surprise Chelsea, Rachel and Ellie are up for elimination tomorrow night.

Conversely Sun, Peter and Craig won with their pork en papillote, and they deserved to a difficult technique for that ingredient. They all get a chance to win an immunity pin.

1 AnonyMousse { 05.22.11 at 10:57 pm }

We didn’t need to wait for the ingredients to be revealed to know a female team was in trouble – they dropped that clue anvil on us in the ‘subtle’ editting at the start of the episode with the ‘it’s time for a girl to go’ quote.

I’ve noticed that Kumar’s not getting anything to say anymore – I don’t think I’ve heard a single syllable from him in more than a week (including the memorable ‘Kumar do something’ quote from tonight’s episode, where we don’t even hear his response). Is he really that boring. or are they trying to pursue the youth market with the talking heads that they do use?

2 Cue the music { 05.22.11 at 11:46 pm }

Dear George … It is belly not Bally, jelly not jally.

3 Oshada { 05.23.11 at 12:14 am }

Kumar hasn’t spoken to the camera since the baking challenge, if I recall correctly.

4 JC { 05.23.11 at 1:12 am }

Loved this challenge as there were cooking techniques we mere mortals would have never heard of. Cooking with paper? How wanky. Oh wait, it’s a French technique! :) Shame on me, I thought this season was to bring cooking “back to basics.”

Also, we got to see other people actually cook beyond the love shown to Jay and Hayden. So apparently Alana, Michael, and Adam exist within the MasterChef universe as they were shown cooking AND narrating. On the flip side, our trusty narrators to this point (Chelsea and Rachel) were shown cooking and they end up facing the Pressure Test. Given the edit that were given at the start of the episode (and possibly the entire season thus far) as chattering and mindless schoolgirls, it is no surprise they all failed miserably tonight.

Chelsea, clearly wearing a dress from the leftover studs that used to inhabit Alex’s earlobes, was visibly upset and is shown in tomorrow’s episode of doing her Glenn Close impression with a knife. My guess is that she is going home. Ellie is safe as she has proven herself to be quite calm in a Pressure Test. Plus, George has only had one opportunity to feel her up and we all know there are more creepy hugs to go before she is eliminated. Rachel will survive as she has not used her quota of manhandling all the judges and special guests just yet. If it is a long time inbetween drinks before Justin North’s return, look out! That means if the rumours are true about Chelsea and Alex, Chelsea will be eliminated. Given that at least more than half of the contestants had already been eliminated by the time this program started to air this month, Alex would not have moved to Melbourne to start his new life without his “Cake-Gate” conspirator to be there to greet him. So long Chelsea. Will miss your effusive narrations. Too bad we didn’t get to see you cook.

5 Shelsta78 { 05.23.11 at 8:10 am }

Can’t wait to see Strat Matt’s dressing down of the En Papiotte team, even if they did win – total disregard for ‘nice judge niiice judge’.

Even though it wasn’t cooked enough I think we saw again that Cleo has good potential for longevity in this comp.

& now to the most annoying part of the ep – Chelsea’s top. Dear Chelsea, let’s put aside the fact that you’d been bedazzled in thumb tacks – a choker style top that the puts a massive, bedazzled piece of khaki fabric over your chest made your boobs look 5 cup sizes bigger .

From this fashion faux pas I deduce that the producers on set aren’t fans of old Chelsea and therefore did not tell her just how bad she looked.

6 Darryl { 05.23.11 at 8:14 am }

Chealsea has been Bedazzled

7 saffronlie { 05.23.11 at 9:53 am }

I liked this challenge a lot also, even though it made for some difficult cooking scenarios. Agree with AnonyMousse that I would like to hear more from Kumar! I also noticed that we were given nothing from Andrew, perhaps as punishment for him almost losing the elimination on Thursday?

I was also really interested in the various teams, and wonder how many of the contestants were thinking strategically there. It seems like no one wanted to be with Mat and Andrew, or even Shannon? At the end she walked out alone instead of with her teammates. I thought it was clever of Michael to pair up with Hayden and Jay, given that they’ve both won Sunday nights before.

8 akris { 05.23.11 at 10:25 am }

If only the producers didn’t lurve Chelsea then perhaps we could get more commentary from OTHER contestants including Kumar.. at the moment it’s the freakn Chelsea show… over it!!! Because of this i’d be happy to see her leave… even though Ellie does do a fair bit of commentary at least most of hers is because of her cooking and it isn’t faux exuberance each time..

9 Culinary Boner { 05.23.11 at 10:27 am }

“Chealsea has been Bedazzled”

Huh, sure that’s vagazzled?

10 davsimp { 05.23.11 at 10:42 am }

Don’t really care who goes home out of this lot, not particularly fond of any of them. However I think everyone is on the money when they say Chelsea.

Sun et al took a risk by putting their balls in a bag after Moran showed them the way he wraps food in paper. Thought they would have done a bit of re-thinking after he threw his frock up over no Bernaise sauce the other night. Still, I am glad it paid off for them.

Did anyone else see notice the look on Craig’s face when he walked into the kitchen and saw the girls giggling and gossiping? He looked like someone had pissed on his cornflakes.

11 Chunks { 05.23.11 at 11:31 am }

I thought it was a fantastic challenge and felt a bit sorry for the girls getting a combination of octopus and smoking. But they could have just made a smoked octopus salad instead of that disastrous hybrid monster they created. And fancy coming onto a cooking show not knowing how to make a sauce. Sheesh.

12 littlepetal { 05.23.11 at 11:54 am }

Love the challenge but don’t like working in threes. Why does Dani have to do the sauce when she keep saying she is not good with sauce? (No excuse!) Didn’t they know it is a team challenge, if one stuff up, all three go into the elimination challenge.

Chelsea do have a problem here. She is Italian and keep saying she love Italian food like bread, pasta etc. She still can’t make/cook a good pasta.

I think Rachael is safe (thought I saw here kissing Nigella). It will be between Chelsea and Ellie

13 brain dead dave { 05.23.11 at 1:40 pm }

I could have nightmares over the close ups of lamb brains and squab heads shown last night. Thanks Charnel 10.

I guess Chelsea would rather look good than be good. George didn’t really comfort her when she went the blub,either. I’ll expect to hear from her in No Idea soon….”Alex and Chelsea have Lobe Child”

Maybe it’s not so bad if Kumar doesn’t get airtime…it’s been something of a poisoned chalice this year.

I can’t believe that surfer boy with the ammunity pin has made it to the top in RR’s “hotness” poll.

14 Reality Raver { 05.23.11 at 1:56 pm }

Anonymousse – Agree the girl comment repeated ad nauseum was a bit of a give away.

Oshada – more Kumar please as well from this fan. However he did do a good shocked face, when told what the challenge was.

JC – I like your theory about Chelsea going tonight. LOL about the dress being made of Alex’s left over earrings.

Shelsta 78 – I must admit I could not take my eyes off Chelsea’s breast they looked huge, maybe she thought it would work with George.

Saffronlie – we have barely seen Shannon, I have no idea if she can cook or not. She is getting no love.

Akris – maybe they think they need to give Chelsea and Ellie camera time to lure in the male viewer. But we need to see more of the other contestants.

Davis imp – i think their dish would not have worked if they had used Matt Moran’s technique. I missed the shot of Craig going into the kitchen I must be more observant in the future.

Chunks – great idea about the smoked octopus salad. But I wondered if it would have been thought of as too easy considering there were three of them.

Little Petal – maybe dani couldn’t do the squab either so was given the less important element of the dish.

BDD – LOL about the airtime poisoned chalice, could be true. I can’t believe it either, maybe the producers do know what the viewer wants.

15 Darryl { 05.23.11 at 2:42 pm }

So who is going to be the voice of Masterchef when Chelsea goes home? It was her and Alex being the other people we ever heard from

16 Culinary Boner { 05.23.11 at 3:15 pm }

Agree with the other comments about Chelsea’s pasta. It looked like a Brit Rail version of pasta, dried out and breaking up if you sneezed on it, let alone touched it with a fork. I’m hoping she’s out as she annoys me for some reason and that my vote on Raver’s poll for MCA sex symbol, the daggy, dentally-challenged but fiesty bottle blonde milf Rachel survives.

17 littlepetal { 05.23.11 at 4:46 pm }

I must be bored today. Have a look at Facebook and I think I may have worked out who got eliminated tonight and for the next few weeks! If my detective work is correct, I have the Top 15!!!

18 librarygirl { 05.23.11 at 5:00 pm }

1. Did Chelsea make that pasta? Didn’t see her doing it? Surely it wasn’t packet stuff…
2. Chelsea ( who I like, at least she’s cheerful, unlike others) is getting the amount of airtime annoying law student Kate did in season 1 . Then Kate disappeared early on and finally we discovered Justine was in the comp. and could actually cook well. Pretty girl syndrome, every year. ( But I can’t remember who was the Pretty Girl last year?)

19 littlepetal { 05.23.11 at 5:09 pm }

Season 2 hotties – Skye and Courtney???

20 PollyB { 05.23.11 at 5:15 pm }

For en papillote I instantly thought asian style for the pork. It is just steaming after all, isn’t it? I’m glad they did it their way, and glad it worked!
It’s time to go Chelsea, surely. Pasta and tomato seems to be her claim to fame, and she ain’t so good at that. And she deserves to go for dressing like a glamour puss instead of a cook. Does anyone else think she has had botox to the forehead?
Hey RR loving your pet name for Kumar – Kumera. So apt!