Masterchef Australia Filming In New York City

Lucky Masterchef Australia contestants who are still  in the competition will be very excited to currently be in New York City filming upcoming episodes for the reality TV show.

Matt Preston via his twitter account @mattscravat tweeted to Anthony Bourdain (@noreservations):

@noreservations Made it to yr home town safely…am full of pork buns….now need 3 indecent places to drink! Pretty please oh wise one!

So New York City, and just eaten at one of David Chang’s eating establisments?

Anyway great news as there is a plethora of great chefs in New York who would make entertaining guest judges for the show.

First up will be the hot chef of the moment David Chang. Considering he is opening one of his iconic Momo restaurants in Star City, Sydney he would welcome the publicity.

Who else should we expect? I would guess Mario Batali and a visit to his Italian food emporium Eataly. Daniel Boulude, Tom Collicchio, Jean-George Vongerichten could be just a few that pop up in the episodes. Even Bourdain himself if he did not film with the show on his current visit in Australia, or famous restauranteur Keith McNally. Who do you think should be the guest judges and chefs in the NYC episodes?

But also let us hope they do some of the cuisine that is big in NYC and not so big over here. A Mexican challenge would be great, also southern or US style BBQ would really test the contestants skills and food knowledge. Or what about the contestants having to short order cook in a diner?

Whatever they do they are going to have some fantastic footage to screen for the week the episodes will go to air.

1 Culinary Boner { 05.23.11 at 10:06 am }

The leering-but-still-quite-nice-and-not-really-that-sleazy Eric Ripert ( Le Bernadin) would be great to round out a slobbering 3-bloke drool panel with Gary and George that can impart special advice & tips to any lithe person with a vagina (under the age of 33, oh, and preferably blonde) plus administer motivational hugs to such persons as and when required.

2 brain dead dave { 05.23.11 at 1:01 pm }

Lou Reed could give a Ma$terclass on cooking up some speed.

3 Injera { 05.23.11 at 1:10 pm }

I second the Eric Ripert nomination! Happy to put myself on the line if he needs to practice motivational hugs.

I love Mario Batali, so would be happy to see him on board.

BDD… heh.

4 sourkraut { 05.23.11 at 1:29 pm }

Should bring in snotblob rob as a guest Hugger eeeww.
Boner
does your proposed blonde huggee have to have matching top and tail?

5 Reality Raver { 05.23.11 at 1:32 pm }

Culinary Boner – Eric Ripert and Bourdain could guest together.

BDD – Bourdain could probably do that as well. Though I read today in an interview that he was anti-crack.

Injera – I will be surprised if Batali is not on it.

Sour – Boston Rob could judge best hot dog.

6 sourkraut { 05.23.11 at 1:33 pm }

I think they should have to cook nooyork style hot dogs a la Croc Dundee….. You can eat them but they taste like shit… Typical ma$terfarce fare.

7 Ben { 05.23.11 at 1:51 pm }

As exciting as this news is – I fail to see how Matt being in NYC automatically confirms MasterChef being in NYC. He does do his own things occasionally, doesn’t he?

8 brain dead dave { 05.23.11 at 1:55 pm }

If they can fake it here,they’ll fake it anywhere.

9 Reality Raver { 05.23.11 at 2:00 pm }

Ben – He does indeed. However I am pretty sure I am right. But will mea culpa if I am wrong. It is at that stage of filming where the overseas trip occurs. Also hard to conceal contestants and camera crew at an airport or plane. But we will have to wait and see….

10 Culinary Boner { 05.23.11 at 2:27 pm }

Sour, i understands that nowdays with them young ‘uns* the matching top and tail issue is purely a hypothetical concern.

(* Note i specified 33yrs & under and female. I’m pretty certain though Hayden wouldn’t be able to provide us with a match. [As a way overly gratutious aside I can, as I have become Lord Greystains, king of silverbacks in all zones of recent times. Stop tutting everyone. Least I’m still hirsuite.] Judging by Raver’s poll seems there’s plenty of chicks and bunny boilers willing to check out the Hayden situation for us and report back. Get ya wetsuits on ladies.)

11 Khun Del { 05.23.11 at 4:17 pm }

Perhaps Thomas Keller….. or a reward lunch at his restaurant Per Se?
I would love to see them do a soul food challenge. (The ribs at Sylvia’s in Harlem are fantastic.)
So many really good restaurants and a wonderful city.
I’m jealous.

12 Culinary Boner { 05.23.11 at 5:36 pm }

Maybe they should have a roast chicken challenge with the master of such simple but delicious fare Jonathan Waxman (Barbuto), who was annointed the Obe One Kenobi of cheffing on the recent Top Chef Masters series showing on Foxtel.

13 Sarah { 05.23.11 at 5:36 pm }

Ben, the 6am Channel 10 early morning news carried the story. Top 8 are in NYC.

14 Khun Del { 05.23.11 at 6:33 pm }

There was an interview on Channel 10 5pm news today, with Gary, George and Matt in Times Square.
Hope they do something in Jackson Heights – the variety of food in that area is mind boggling and Jackson Heights ain’t no Manhattan so there would be some culture shock value as well.

15 PollyB { 05.23.11 at 6:47 pm }

Ooh, I want to see Susur from TC Masters. Yummy.

16 Shelsta78 { 05.23.11 at 10:51 pm }

Another vote for the Bordain / Ripert double act – they’ve been on TC and Martha together – it’s a heart palpitating sensation.

This is indeed exciting news. NYC just has so many possibilities. both Top Chef & Project Runway have held challenges based on the different ethnic / cultural specifics of suburbs in Manhatten – I.e. Chinatown, little Italy, Hispanic/Mexican etc etc – they have to go to the area for inspiration. Great location shots and another Amazing Race style pace – I’m pretty sure the AusMC wouldn’t be able to resist similar.

17 brain dead dave { 05.23.11 at 10:59 pm }

“am full of pork buns”

More like your buns are full of pork,Jowl$y.

18 littlepetal { 05.23.11 at 11:02 pm }

Very funny, BDD

19 brain dead dave { 05.24.11 at 12:42 am }

Thanks, littlepetal.

20 Doug { 05.26.11 at 7:40 am }

Where are they filming in nyc?

21 AT { 05.26.11 at 2:45 pm }

hmmm i thought they were going to malaysia this year for the international bit?

22 nachoman { 05.31.11 at 1:29 pm }

Stumbled across Gary and George on the lower east side today, filming in front of Russ and Daughters near Katz Deli.

23 Chrissie { 07.04.11 at 8:07 pm }

Saw two contestants and Garry and George at Grimaldi’s pizza in Brooklyn on May 30th. I thought it was the final two!

24 Graig { 03.08.14 at 6:33 am }

I have read so many articles about the blogger lovers however this piece of
writing is truly a nice article, keep it up.

Take a look at my web blog :: Graig

25 Eulah { 03.08.14 at 12:07 pm }

Hello there, I found your web site by the use of Google even as looking for a comparable topic,
your web site got here up, it seems to be great. I have bookmarked
it in my google bookmarks.
Hello there, just turned into aware of your blog thru Google, and
located that it’s truly informative. I am gonna be careful for
brussels. I’ll appreciate if you happen to proceed this in future.

A lot of people will probably be benefited from your writing.
Cheers!