Masterchef Australia – Chelsea Eliminated Is Dani The Culprit?

“It is the only thing that lights that fire in my belly” says Chelsea talking about cooking. Alex will be thrilled to hear that.

Chelsea, Rachel and Ellie were up for elimination in a pressure test after plating a particularly hideous looking smoked octopus. To be fair on them has anyone ever seen smoked octopus on a menu?

Tonight was the pressure test on “on steroids”. The dish was to be cooked without a recipe and with out the ingredients being given to you.  It was sweet and sour with fried rice.

The first hurdle was picking the protein. Chelsea picked pork loin, and Ellie followed. Rachel went for the pork shoulder.

Gary was running around say are you sure it is not sweet and sour chicken or veal? Seriously who has ever heard of sweet and sour veal? Rachel had picked the right one.

The peanut gallery helped out Chelsea. I just think it is unfair, considering Dani was micro managing from the balcony. They told her she had the wrong rice, and was telling her how to cook it.

Chelsea wasn’t tasting her sauce and ended up not having much of it.

Rachel’s sauce and rice was fine, but her browning off the pork before frying it was a stuff up. Why did she do this?

Ellie’s sweet and sour was great, but the judges did not like the over powering taste of soya sauce on her fried rice.

Chelsea’s sweet and sour did not have much sauce. George did not like the pork he thought it was tough and dry. Matt Preston thought the rice was the best they had had.

The psychoanalysing of the contestants after they had judged the dishes was tedious tonight. The goal was to try get them emotional. Rachel deserves to stay just for not breaking down.

George to Chelsea “Do you suffer from self doubt?”. Gary to Ellie “Will your parents be disappointed in you if you leave nursing?”

Who goes home should just depend on the dish not on personality traits or what the family think.

Chelsea was eliminated so finally someone else might get some camera time. However she probably one of the more charismatic contestants.

Chelsea is following her food dream…

“I’m working at an Italian restaurant called Donnini’s in Carlton, where I come in to the kitchen in the morning and make pasta and work the floor during the night time,” Chelsea said. “I’ve also started my own company where I cater small events. Life is great at the moment.”

Dani at least had the decency to look a little shamefaced when she found out Chelsea had gone, and said next time there was a friend in the kitchen she might not give so much advice.  She was a definite accessory to Chelsea’s elimination.

1 davsimp { 05.24.11 at 12:59 am }

The peanut gallery needs to be bound and gagged STAT!!
Dani was fairly pissing me off with her squeals of “wrong rice” “dont take the lid off” blah blah fucken blah.

PMSL @ sweet and sour veal. Yeh, I’m surprised no one went for the turkey brains.

2 Oshada { 05.24.11 at 1:01 am }

I think the fact that Chelsea had used other contestants’ food or colluded with them on multiple occasions worked against her. Still, glad that Ellie was safe and there was no way Rachel could’ve been eliminated, even with the twice frying mishap.

3 Fiona { 05.24.11 at 1:33 am }

Definitely should be a rule about coaching from the gallery- it’s distracting and unevens the playing field. The right one went home I think. No one seemed to warn Rachel she was using sushi rice for the fried rice either.

4 PollyB { 05.24.11 at 7:10 am }

Yaaaaaay.

5 littlepetal { 05.24.11 at 7:26 am }

Did Rachael use sushi rice? Thank goodness the judges noticed the help given out from the peanut gallery and they also knew Chelsea is getting too much help from them. She should be eliminated.

6 AnonyMousse { 05.24.11 at 7:44 am }

I can’t understand why they even allow the gallery to say anything on challenges where there specifically isn’t a menu – what’s the point of not having a menu if someone above you shouts out the right ingredients anyway?

As to Question: “Will your parents be disappointed in you if you leave nursing?”, Answer: “Not as disappointed as your parents must be for you asking such trite and irrelevant questions in a show that’s supposed to be about the cooking.”

7 sourkraut { 05.24.11 at 7:55 am }

Raver
Somewhere in the atrocities that was ma$terfarce 2 I seem to remember someone got veal and pork mixed up (think it was something to do with schnitzels)
Someone should cut off the comments from the penis gallery.

8 Injera { 05.24.11 at 8:15 am }

The only thing that made this excruciating mawkfest bearable was watching the tweet stream and knowing that you’d have a post up that people would comment on.

Did the pre-season publicity really say that this time it wasn’t about the dramz and the tears, but about the food? Somebody forgot to tell the morons presenting the show, then, since they seem to have a don’t-mention-the-food-at-any-cost mentality. Hopefully the sooks will be weeded out early (*sob*our obstacles*sob*) and by the top ten, we’ll have some decent cooking talent.

“Are you sure it’s not veal?” Pshaw, Gary, yes I am and I’m also convinced you’re a prat. Yes, Sourkraut, you’re right about the schnitzel, but then again I’ve actually encountered veal, pork and chicken varieties in my travels. Never seen S&S veal though 😉

As for bully-boy George turning Mr Nice* Guy with Chelsea, I’d pay good money for somebody to knee him in the bollocks. Having flour on your face is *not* life-threatening, George.

*sleazy

9 Rosie { 05.24.11 at 8:30 am }

What was that crap Chelsea was spouting about getting past various obstacles/hurdles/whatever in her life? It seemed she was hinting that her life has been exceptionally hard in some way.

Reminded me of Andrew’s passive aggressive tripe t’other day when he, too, was on the verge of going home.

Chelsea must be miffed that Andrew’s sob story worked (why else didn’t he go home , when he clearly plated up a worse meal than Seamus…?) when hers didn’t.

10 yummy { 05.24.11 at 8:45 am }

I haven’t watched this episode but I’ve just finished the prev one last night. I have to say Chelsea and Dani are getting on my nerves. I got this feeling from the two of them that Chelsea liked to be a leader or something and she seems a little fake while talking about her beloved friends in the house (but it’s just a feeling, it might not be true), and Dani seemed not very serious about the competition. I feel the contestants this year are nowhere near the top 24 amateur cooks in Australia, even after we minus the two “top 24” of the prev seasons. I haven’t seen anyone with obvious talent while in the past seasons, you could tell some contestants were clearly better than the rest even from the early episodes.
And I wonder when they’d let Goth Matt go. I’m pretty sure I don’t want to eat food from a cook who seems like he only takes shower on special occasions -.-

11 Shelsta78 { 05.24.11 at 9:08 am }

Wow Dani – either she’s an idiot or she’s been reading Strat Matt and remembered WWERD. Chelsea really needed to tell her to shut the F up.

Ellie’s rice technique was appalling. What student would cook in that many dishes – all the washing up!

Rachel did a great job with the ‘stick to the story’ in presenting – I.e. She repeated the ‘pork was browned’ story 3 times. I also liked that she really paid attention when eating the dish during tasting to identify the right cut of meat – other contestants often get bamboozled at that point in these type of challenges.

Duffer Chelsea for listening to Dani – but I’m glad she’s gone

G&G and Jowlsey really love this feedback session where they try and build tension and make people cry. They’ve done it to many men before as well, an whilst it annoys me, I’m not sure the show would be the same without it. We can have sessions focussing on the food when Top Chef Australia starts (with MMoran fingers crossed for RR).

I thought Gary’s ‘one of the three of you could still be Australia’s next Masterchef and for one of you the dream will be over’ was a little Tyra Banksish a la Top Mole.

12 Sooty { 05.24.11 at 9:42 am }

The Pastry Thief has weird ethics, or none. Love the photo above with the pasty machine in front of her as a neat reminder! She’s oblivious to the connotations, it seems.

When she heard the judges feedback to each of them she could tell she was a gonner. Lovely slap-down of the tissues to Ellie as Ellie who thought it was going to be her started weeping next to her. And then, when Gary mentioned you got a lot off coaching off Dani – her save her arse ‘answer’ was “I’ve overcome a lot of hurdles” blah blah blah. Huh?

I really enjoyed the judging of the sweet and sour, the detail, and the three of them seemed back to normal, as opposed to their melodramatic role-playing in season two.

Was shouting Shut up shut UP on screechy voice every time Dani helped out/corrected/mocromanaged obstacle hurdling Chelsea. Nice bosoms and everything, but very satisfying to see her gorn!

13 Sooty { 05.24.11 at 9:43 am }

Was shouting Shut up shut UP in screechy voice every time Dani helped out/corrected/mocromanaged obstacle hurdling Chelsea. Nice bosoms and everything, but very satisfying to see her gorn!

14 Sooty { 05.24.11 at 9:45 am }

Sorry! tried to correct a typo midsend.

15 Miss Piggy (MelbaToast) { 05.24.11 at 9:56 am }

I think Chelsea was eliminated from stealing the top she wore the night before from the Tutankhamun exhibition that’s on in Melbourne. Enough said.

16 EH { 05.24.11 at 10:05 am }

To be honest, I was struggling to watch this episode and was waiting for it to finish so I can change my channel to Amazing Race. I don’t know what has happened to the casting but there is no contestant in this season that I care much about. This is such a crucial factor for a reality TV show when we start not to care about who is being eliminated. There are some good cooks in the lot but no standout personality. It’s at the verge of sounding ‘boring’. The more entertaining ones or those have more charisma simply can’t cook (think Alex and Chelsea) or are come across as ‘annoying’ (think Sun & Dani).

Read the article on Daily Telegraph today. Matt Preston is putting the blame on other channels (AGT & DWTS) stealing their audience but seriously they need to look at the casting, editing and the judges attitudes.stop giving us the false promises of ‘back to basics’ (Back to basics doesn’t have to be cooking up a nasty dish of cheap Chinese sweet & sour pork!); Less tears and drama, more cooking!? Really?

Some of the judges lines are soooooooo cringe worthy and repeated so many times that is not funny.

I have had high expectation on this season and hate to see myself starting to detach from it.

I can stop thinking Ellie is the female version of Callum.

17 AnnyB { 05.24.11 at 10:50 am }

Two quotes from columnists who think that the standard may have slipped:

“Let’s just take a breather to remind ourselves here that these guys are supposed to be among the 21 top amateur cooks in Australia. Really?”

“Do you ever get the feeling that the level of finesse has been lowered a little this year” (referring to Mat’s comment that “I don’t really cook them often”)

Actually, how many times has the phrase “oh, I haven’t cooked this before” been uttered. Too often.

18 skye { 05.24.11 at 10:56 am }

I didn’t think it was Dani’s advice that was the problem as such (well, I think the peanut gallery should be banned from giving advice, but apart from that), it was the fact that Chelsea just didn’t have a clue. Her potentially redeeming dish was the fried rice, but if she hadn’t been tipped off by Dani, then it would have been a disaster. Honestly the selection process for this show must be an absolute joke – how on earth could someone be in the top 24 who thinks Basmati is suitable for chinese fried rice! Dreadful, and very glad to see her go.

19 Chunks { 05.24.11 at 11:26 am }

I think it’s time to abandon the idea that the contestants on Masterchef are even close to the top 24 “ammata” chefs in Australia. They are the best of the people willing to give up half a year’s salary in the hope of becoming famous.

The interesting thing about Rachel cooking the pork twice is that the only recipe I have for it (gag) says to do exactly that in order to brown it before battering.

20 brain dead dave { 05.24.11 at 12:50 pm }

The only advice I’d be taking from Dani is on how to put on weight.

Go raunchy Rachel.

21 Paul { 05.24.11 at 1:00 pm }

Chunks is right. Its not about the ‘best 24 amateur chefs in Australia’

Its about the ‘best 24 amateur chefs in Australia who bothered to audition for this series of Masterchef’

You would imagine there would be tens of thousands very good cooks out there who simply did not apply due to time, family or work constraints.

Don’t think people should be taking it too literally.

From a male perspective glad that Ellie is still in……

22 brain dead dave { 05.24.11 at 1:06 pm }

We know that ,Paul.

It’s the bloody show that makes the B$ claims about the best 24 amatas etc. Every season.

23 CJ { 05.24.11 at 1:10 pm }

Some of braindeaddave’s comments on Biggest Loser posts were offensive but I ignored them as I think the show itself is offensive in terms of allowing anti fat hatred and stigma to run rife. But seriously, BDD – you have some funny observations and great comments, would you please drop the awful, dehumanising, fat prejudice? It has no place here. And it’s not funny. I’d appreciate it and not sure if anyone else would miss it.

24 TMC { 05.24.11 at 1:14 pm }

This blog post is totally Phat dude

25 wallah { 05.24.11 at 1:57 pm }

Have to agree with Injera here, COPS was on at the same time, so I tivo’d MC so I could watch the 10 minutes that actually matter. I did sneak a peak at the ol’Twitter however, someone had posted something along the lines that the show’s main sponsor had demanded that food this season go “Down, down, standards are down”
I did like Chelsea, but I couldn’t understand why they kept going on about the hurdles a well to do, attractive white female was facing in life. I suppose that’s why I’m divorced.

26 brain dead dave { 05.24.11 at 2:07 pm }

If I tried to second guess every whinger out there that gets “offended” and yells “prejudice”, I’d never finish a blog.

I sincerely apologise to RR and any reader that feels my posts have made them hate fatties more. I don’t care if I go to hell for the things I’ve said about reality TV contestants and Julie Goodwin in particular.

27 akris { 05.24.11 at 2:21 pm }

Agree with Skye, the only thing Dani can be blamed for is being a bit distracting.. if anything she saved Chelsea’s food from being a total fail by letting her know about the rice… (even i know Basmati isn’t for fried rice and I can’t cook) …

Although I don’t blame Dani i think the peanut gallery should be told to shut up… it’s not a pressure test when someone is giving them instructions, or warnings or tips.. or the entire recipe it seemed from last night… wanted to tear my hair out every time Dani spoke last night.. gosh that was ANNOYING!

28 Culinary Boner { 05.24.11 at 2:34 pm }

Gee it’s a bit rough issuing BDD a yellow card for F-A-T comments(shhh…thought I’d beter spell it out in case someone hears it and is offended). Food and barge-arses go together in my opinion. F**king ‘ell I’d have a six-pack and the sort of rocking bod reality strumpets like Snooki would wanna lick all over if it wasn’t for food. Oh that and shit load of beer. Oh sitting on my arse watching reality TV tripe. {Oh and the fact I have separated eyebrows. Though I’m not certain I taste like “fresh gorilla”, which according to Snooki’s recent foray into literature is what all hot guys should taste of.}
CJ, you aren’t perchance Nigella in disguise trying to pre-emptively put BDD off from commenting when you appear on the show in the next few weeks?… If so, it won’t work.
Onto another somewhat related matter, should we all nominate Michelle Bridges for a Nobel Prize in Biology, given it now appears Biggest Loser is really, truly just one big science experiment? – http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/wellbeing/fat-gene-theory-dispelled-20110524-1f1mx.html. And here I was thinking it was just public service TV to make me and other average losers in today’s society feel good about themselves by being given a chance to view a freakshow in which you can laugh and tut-tut at mega-fatties and the even funnier – coz they’re even freakier boys and girls -personal trainers.

29 Fides { 05.24.11 at 2:40 pm }

Chelsea’s problem was that she didn’t get Dani down to taste the food for her. She should have just gotten Dani to run down the stairs from the balcony and try some, even at the initial tasting. Cos I mean, they let the contestants cheat anyway with all that help, might as well let Dani know exactly what Chelsea’s cooking. Or Chelsea should have just tried to flick up some sauce but the balcony is quite a long way up…

They should have a new rule to make it more interesting. The bottom 3 contestant can get help from another contestant of their choice, but if he/she gets eliminated, they both go. But if the bottom 3 doesn’t get eliminated, the helping contestant wins immunity.

30 littlepetal { 05.24.11 at 2:47 pm }

I just read the gossip mags at Coles. There are more sob stories coming from Cleo and Sun. Wait till they face the elimination challenges.

Actually Basmati rice is great for fried rice as the rice hold their shape and you get fluffy rice.

31 davsimp { 05.24.11 at 3:17 pm }

BDD, are you getting Dani and Danielle mixed up. I thought Dani had quite a nice figure but Danielle is gigantic. I used to get her and Shannon mixed up at first, but even though they are both fat, Danielle is fatter.

32 librarygirl { 05.24.11 at 4:20 pm }

What I thought was hilarious about this challenge was the continued ” Dani is an Asian food expert” blah blah. I work with a Chinese girl who doesn’t recognise that take away slop as anything her family would eat or cook. Pineapple and tomato sauce?? Come on. They say that style originated in America.
Dani may be good at Vietnamese food but I wouldn’t be boasting about being expert in that sort of atrocity cooked last night.

33 brain dead dave { 05.24.11 at 4:27 pm }

Thanks davsimp, I’ve got it sorted now.

34 Pollywaffle { 05.24.11 at 4:58 pm }

Channel 10 are messing with our heads – they mixed the PO boxes for applications for Biggest Loser and MasterChef this year leaving us with Top Chafe

35 brain dead dave { 05.24.11 at 6:26 pm }

Blame it on a simple twist of fat.

Happy 70th to Bob Dylan

36 AnonyMousse { 05.24.11 at 6:43 pm }

Wait, we’re giving cooks grief for being fat? Isn’t the saying supposed to be: “Never trust a thin chef”?

37 brain dead dave { 05.24.11 at 6:54 pm }

I spotted an appalling piece of kitsch at the library today…Matt Pre$ton’ s “Music From Another Platter”-Two CD’s -one for cooking ,one for eating. Jivin’ with Jowl$y.

38 PollyB { 05.24.11 at 6:59 pm }

Thanks for clearing that up davsimp 😉

39 Anonymous { 05.24.11 at 7:02 pm }

“Fammartino also chose to cook with Hayden Quinn during an individual challenge, and 67 per cent of news.com.au readers who voted in our You Be The Judge interactive thought she was pairing up with other contestants as a “sneaky tactic”.

The 34-year-old says editing was to blame.

“It definitely wasn’t a tactic, and I can’t believe how much of a big deal people have made of it.

“They (producers) heavily edited the one with Hayden and the pasta. In actual fact they made me go to the fridge and get my pasta, but they don’t show that on the show.

“We had 12 minutes to go, there was no way I had time to fill tortellini and cook it in 12 minutes.

“Unfortunately people can perceive it as they wish but it was an honest mistake. If I thought it would jeopardise myself or Hayden I would not have done the pasta, but I had no choice at that stage. It was not a tactic.”

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/television/i-found-love-but-not-on-masterchef-says-chelsea-fammartino/story-fn8gfhpl-1226061885049#ixzz1NG6KDkO9

Right, so that’s cleared up. Sort of. Not.

40 littlepetal { 05.24.11 at 7:13 pm }

Can’t understand what’s the point if they made her go to the fridge to get her pasta but then she didn’t use it.

41 EH { 05.24.11 at 10:01 pm }

Heinz tomato ketchup makes better sweet and sour sauce than masterfood brand.

42 Reality Raver { 05.24.11 at 11:11 pm }

Thanks for the comments guys it is a great community on this blog particularly when Masterchef is on.

Fides – I like your idea about if you help someone from the gallery you could be eliminated as well.

BDD – no apologies necessary, you comments are funny, and like all good wits you sometimes cross a line. But then so does Chris Lilley and he has high rating comedy store. Some people will be offended.

As regular readers know that what I don’t like on this blog is when commenters start attacking each other. Debate their comments but not the commenter.

I think most of us agree they should stop the comments from the peanut gallery.

Sourkraut – Irmgard stuffed it up it was the end of her time on the Masterchef stage unfortunately – one of the most memorable contestants ever.

43 AnonyMousse { 05.24.11 at 11:36 pm }

RR – I think Sourkraut was referring to the elimination challenge in Season 2 where Daniel got sent home – he used veal when the schnitzel dish was pork.

44 Reality Raver { 05.24.11 at 11:38 pm }

Anonymousse and sourkraut – I will defer to you guys on that as my memory is crap.

45 XoxPrincessxox { 05.25.11 at 10:37 am }

Hi guys I’m new so this is my first comment here

But just browsing through the rest of the comments I agree with the gallery needing to be gagged
I noticed no one else pointed it out but to me the rice wouldn’t have been a major issue but Chelsea said something along the lines of I wouldn’t have gotten the tomato sauce if it weren’t for Dani
From what i seen the sauce was a huge ingredient in the sweet and sour sauce so if she didn’t have it it would’ve been by far the worst dish
But no she had help..and also a couple of people called down a suggestion to the other girls but she had Dani literally over her shoulder telling her what to do and that’s not right

46 sourkraut { 05.25.11 at 10:56 am }

Would haqve loved to see Irmgard on ma$terfarce again but alas .. not a French/Italian risotto/ crockofbush specialist.
Thanks anonymousse.. that was exactly what I was referring to, although in the greater picture of the whole weltschmertz thing all of this does not amount to a plate of beans anyway.
Librarygirl
I totally agree. I was in China for over a month last year (4 different provinces and mostly in the towns) and did not see hair nor hide of a sweet and sour pork. I guess its the only thing these idiot judges know about “chinese” cooking. As to the fried rice, I did not see any of that either. I can just imagine the average Chinese housewife sitting down to cook 57 different ingredients with rice for the family supper. Despite the fact I dont mind the ole fly lice (apologies to all NO OFFENCE MEANT) its obviously an OZ/Yank version of Chinese food