Masterchef Australia – Cleo Gone – This is Bollocks

Well quite frankly I am calling the elimination of Cleo as fucking bollocks. Sure she unintentionally broke the rules but gee they were a bit confusing.

The challenge was the losing team contestants had 75 minutes to complete sequentially a sponge, custard, toffee and ganache. Each element had to be completed before they moved onto the next. They then had to combine the four into a dessert.

Firstly she broke the rules by having the toffee cooking on the stove top, and she had started her ganache. Yes wrong, however you were allowed to start on the custard once your sponge was in the oven. She thought it was ok as she had the components in the toffee and it was just cooking.

George went and told her it was wrong and told her to get rid of the ganache. She put it to one side until she finished the toffee. I do agree that I had interpreted from George that she should chuck it and start again.

So when she didn’t do that why didn’t they tell her?

Now I know I am a hypocrite when it comes to talking about reality TV shows being manipulated. I bitch when they are, and then I bitch about when they are not manipulated and an injustice occurs. One of this year’s better cooks was eliminated tonight.

I had known who was being eliminated at 8.00pm as some of the suburban papers had busted the embargo and it came through on my google alerts, and I had been genuinely shocked, wondering how she had choked at this stage of the competition.

She hadn’t she just got done over. Firstly why couldn’t they judge her toffee, she had completed it before she brought back the ganache. Secondly if it had been one of the BILF’s (babes I’d like to fondle)* like Ellie, George would have been rushing over there telling her that she had to start again.

Also will we see someone else in a few weeks unintentionally break the rules but it will just be brushed off or glossed over?

If it was top 10 I think maybe it would have been fair to be totally hard arsed about the rules. However it is top 20 and there are some dodgy cooks still in, they could have pretended her custard was the best to keep her in. Christ they did that with Sun, who stuffed up everyone of her elements. Her sponge was undercooked, the custard too thick, her ganache a disaster. It was only that she had blowtorched sugar on some aluminium foil that saved her and gave her “the best caramel of the day”.

Also when George was judging Andrew’s he said “so you are relying on your ganache?”

So why did these two get saved tonight? It is not like either of them have any fuckability factor. Something that appears to be essential in this year’s competition.

We didn’t find out who had the best of the three other components, nor who had the best assembled dessert.

She was culled just to make dramatic TV. Peter looked pretty happy when her name was called out, as his dessert had been a disaster both in looks and taste and he must have felt the noose tightening around his neck.

Well she can join Tom in the disgruntled Masterchef contestants club. He was knocked out in the first week in the Thursday episode when only two of the losing team were in the the elimination challenge. Leaving him with a 50% chance of being eliminated.

In the two following weeks all of the losing team have been up for elimination.

Other highlights of the episode:

• When Kumar yelled at Matt Preston “Stop mind fucking me Matt” Ok that is what I wished he had said when Matt came around, to ask him if felt like the hare or the tortoise  for being behind the others.
  • Props to Hayden for pulverising crystallised toffee and sprinkled it on top. Matt still thinks that you could taste the sugary toffee, I think that was bollocks as well as there was barely any on there. I did note that Hayden did not use his immunity pin tonight again, is he going to be the James (from Survivor) and get eliminated with an immunity pin attached to his apron. I admire his confidence.
  • Billy’s swiss roll looked divine.
  • Sun who thought she was gone, was crying saying  “I am 32 is not 22, and if you have to make a massive change in your life you just do it.”  But her ” 30 seconds with the blow torch” saved her.

I will leave the last comment to Dani who was sobbing about Cleo’s departure. She said “she has made some of the best dishes in the competition and she deserves to be here.” Here, here.

What do you guys think was it bollocks or are the rules the rules?

*BILF was a term made up by regular commenter Culinary Boner, which now I have pinched.

1 brain dead dave { 05.27.11 at 11:45 am }

Ma$terchef….I give your episode a “2”.

C”mon, Cleo was one of the better cooks, not considered attractive and lacked the neurotic desperation to be in the “competition”. She had to go.

Cheers Boner, I think you started the MILF thing a few weeks back with my favourite Raunchy Rachel.

2 Culinary Boner { 05.27.11 at 11:59 am }

Yep, I too am a member of the Rachel appreciation society. Though, like you BDD I lament the lack of Skye. She was eye-candy of the highest order.

3 Wurstsemmel { 05.27.11 at 12:31 pm }

Mmm. Is Gary going to be a judge next season? Saw him in this week’s Woolies catalogue. Surely Coles won’t be happy about that.

Will there even be a next season?

4 thedude { 05.27.11 at 12:31 pm }

I find the cast of ‘characters’ this year so dead boring. I gather they kept Sun in as she is more televisual than Cleo. However everyone in this series appears to have had a personality bypass. I can’t be bothered watching anymore. Even the BILFs can’t keep me hanging in there.

5 brain dead dave { 05.27.11 at 1:02 pm }

Yeah, I admire the optimism of those that think Ma$terBILF will be going around next year.

6 fairybreadgirl { 05.27.11 at 1:15 pm }

I think it is a marketing ploy to keep Sun in. I for one will be the first to buy her best selling cookbook “Great meat recipes f0r vegetarians”. That’s got to be a winner!

7 davsimp { 05.27.11 at 1:25 pm }

We KNOW Cleo didnt listen properly, but instead if standing there like two bottles of stale piss why couldn’t Matt or Gary say to her something along the lines of ” You need to finish your toffee before you start the ganache and because of fairness you need to start the ganache from scratch and not use the one you have put aside.”

It’s not as though any of the other clowns haven’t had extra help before.

Robbo, as far as conspiracy theories go that is a damn good one. I like it!! What better way to get out of the farce when you’ve had a gutful than to leave in a wave of controversy and to get everyone talking. Cleo will be remembered now.

8 David { 05.27.11 at 1:56 pm }

Who cares?! Cleo was not good television. She’s been invisible for the entire competition and even in her boot episode the entire focus went to Sun! She wasn’t engaging and didn’t have the support of the audience. Only now have people taken notice.

9 Anonymous { 05.27.11 at 2:00 pm }

BAHAHAHAHAAHHAA

Sun = Ronald McDonald!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!!

10 Sourkraut { 05.27.11 at 2:15 pm }

DILLIGAF!

11 Pollywaffle { 05.27.11 at 3:00 pm }

Suns new book – Two tofu kitchens? Torching the turnip? Krishna Cuisine? You say Mango, I say Mungo

12 Heléna { 05.27.11 at 3:24 pm }

@David I always liked her – I was looking forward to seeing more of ehr as the show progressed – oh well as Sooty said “She’s out. Next.” :)

13 JC { 05.27.11 at 4:15 pm }

Who would have thought a blog would be such a magnet for hate for a reality television show? :)

Picking up on some themes, it is clear that rules had been applied inconsistently in this year’s season. In Alex and Chelsea’s defence, they did say they wanted to be judged together as they couldn’t remember who cooked which cake. Although I have to agree that Chelsea and Rachel should have been up for elimination for not using her own pasta and not having all “alaments” on the plate respectively in contravention of those rules. I have this feeling that Cleo was more the “final straw” and the judges decided to crack down on the flouting of rules once and for all. Unlike the examples of Rachel and Chelsea given by Niels, Cleo was specifically told by George the clarification of the rules AND to get rid of her ganache. She didn’t heed that warning. However, if George gave her a consoling “hug” whilst giving Cleo that warning, maybe she would have gotten the hint.

I’m in the minority here in that I believe, unfortunately, that the correct person was eliminated. Sun may have sucked at every alament bar her butt-saving creme-brule inspired toffee, but Matt did say at the beginning that if anyone gave the best replication of each element, he/she would be saved.

This episode did, again, highlight the cooking limitations of Andrew (no big surprise as he can now add sponge, custard, and toffee to his list of cooking failures), Sun (no surprise but props on perseverance), Peter (ditto), and Kumar (is he a one-trick pony?). However I point to Peter’s voiceover about hitting the cake books (if he survived that elimination) and the judges telling Kumar to work on his dessert abilities as a possible spoiler that these two may go much further if they did what Aaron did last year, and hit the books and take the competition much more seriously.

14 Chels { 05.27.11 at 4:21 pm }

JC – I wonder if the bit at the start whether Matt said if anyone has the best replication of each alament then they will be saved was actually added in as part of the editing process to try and justify their decision… It wouldn’t suprise me given that Mastercrap have admitted to scripting the eps and after the uproar that occurred after spearmentgate.

15 AnonyMousse { 05.27.11 at 6:24 pm }

Looks like my last post didnt come through. Cleo claims in the below article that she could not restart the Ganache, as the ingredients tray had been taken away by the producers: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/entertainment/8254414/masterchef-favourite-had-no-chance

16 NT Kate { 05.27.11 at 6:41 pm }

Adding in the each individual alament thing afterwards really would be Machievellian! But they each seemed to have little tasting bowls at their stations for samples of the four alaments – so I think it really was real (well for MC at any rate!).

The problem they clearly had was that if they announced the results of each of the four elements at the end, it would have given away the result. No fireball and strung out suspense!

I strongly disagree with those who suggest Cleo’s toffee should have been tasted – the quality/type/colour of toffee normally depends largely on how long you cook it and whether you stir properly etc, so if you are pushed for time the temptation is to take it off earlier/turn up the heat and sacrifice quality a bit (unless you have the creative 30 second solution, for which I agree with those who give kudos to Sun for keeping on going and amazingly pulling it off! And the judge’s amazement did look as genuine as those plastic faces ever manage…).

And surely Hayden would have been mad to use his immunity pin – if he can’t beat 9 of that mob, he hadn’t a hope in the competition anyway. Moreover, in previous seasons, doing eliminations early on actually proved an advantage, as you get practice in coping under pressure while the challenges are still relatively simple, and get a feel for how they work. Thus avoiding Cleo-esq panic responses (like for example Marian’s last season, in using pre-made peanut butter in her satay sauce ,a decision I blame for her demise – it might make sense but you just know how G&G will react!)….

17 David Allen { 05.27.11 at 7:54 pm }

Re: Following the rules indeed. In the Cronulla challenge the winning team made rissole burgers despite the challenge being sausages and gellati! The Red team should have been disqualified.

Thought Cleo’s elimination over a dreadful Sun jumped the shark. Hard to take it seriously anymore.

18 brain dead dave { 05.27.11 at 8:21 pm }

I love how some of these ousted units react like a vampire to a crucifix and lash out at inanimate ingredients trays etc. And if you’re going to have a “total anxiety attack” make it a good one like Claire’s “quagmire of lamb” performance last year and the judges will fall for it.

19 Whinging Pom { 05.27.11 at 8:40 pm }

What is it with them using the word ‘Caramelization’ every two minutes??!!! Sugar is the only ingredient that caramelizes and meats do not contain sugars like fruits and vegetables.

The colour change to brown is due to changes in the oxidation of the iron atom of the heme group of the myoglobin protein (raw meat is red due to myoglobin protein in the muscles, not hemoglobin from blood – which also contains a heme group, hence the colour). Prior to cooking, the iron atom is in a +2 oxidation state, and bound to a dioxygen molecule (O2), with a red color. As cooking proceeds, it loses an electron, moving to a +3 oxidation state, and coordinating with a water molecule (H2O), turning brown in the process.

And while I’m on a mega whinge, there is no such thing as ‘sealing meat’. Water evaporates at the same rate from browned meat as raw.

Grrrr! :-) Ok, calm again and decided not to watch any more. Again. Should have learnt my lesson after the last series fake presentations. Hmm, and my wife is now calling me a sad loser…

20 littlepetal { 05.27.11 at 9:25 pm }

When Georgie said he love to rub in the butter make me think of BILF!!!!

21 brain dead dave { 05.27.11 at 9:53 pm }

It’s all about the cooking,which is why Gary seems to have his hair coiffed for Ma$terclarse night each week. He’s so hellbent on looking like a teenager he might as well pitch for releasing his own fragrance like his peer-Justin Bieber.

Invariably I’ll watch Ma$terclarses with the mute on. Now I can lipread when Gazza pumps the cheese and cries,

“That’s what this competition is all about”.

Wrong timeslot for the sausage making,too. Thought I was on SBS.

22 jord { 05.27.11 at 10:04 pm }

I can’t believe how much their hands all shake during the close ups!

23 littlepetal { 05.27.11 at 10:43 pm }

Masterclass was boring tonight. Matt P said we are going back to basic and he literally meant it!!! Cooking sweet and sour pork, sponge cake, custard, toffee and ganache and yet they can’ t do it.

Sausage sizzle (or fizzle). Sun (which is Sunday and not the contestant) is cooking canteen food. Where are the delicious food that the viewers want to replicate and cook in their own home.

So far I have only tried the simplified version of the Bombe Alaska.

At least last year we have Jimmy’s amazing curries (can’t believe I said that), some beautiful desserts (not chocolate fondants), Marion’s creations etc. The season started big with Zumbo and you think oh my god this season is going to be big!!!! It has totally fizzle out.

24 oriel { 05.27.11 at 10:55 pm }

oriel@jord…i noticed too now that u mentioned it…esp georgie!

25 NT Kate { 05.27.11 at 11:00 pm }

You are absolutely right Littlepetal – I turned off when I saw what was on offer for Masterclass tonight, and haven’t wanted to cook a single dish so far, whereas last year I often did. And I’m with Rachel in hating sweet and sour pork especially!

26 oriel { 05.27.11 at 11:17 pm }

i didn’t follow much of last season’s mc but heard that it was good overall & so decided to keep a close watch on this season but so far its been pretty flat & inspiring…most of the contestants hv been pretty unimpressive… none of which has shown much potential with their cooking skills nor creativity flair…the only ‘breath of fresh air’ that kept me watching are the celebrity chefs for the pressure tests! collin fassnidge & adam d’sylva…hot, sexy & boy! can they cook & sizzle! ouch!!

27 oriel { 05.27.11 at 11:24 pm }

oops…shld read ‘UNinspiring’…

28 smauge { 05.28.11 at 10:43 am }

Apart from mentioning Hayden’s immunity pin, I’d held off commenting as I hadn’t watched the episode yet. I had watched highlights and all the controversy in the media. I had formed a fairly strong opinion that rules are rules and if she’d been let off the hook, people would be up in arms about that. But as I hadn’t watched the episode, I figured I shouldn’t start disagreeing with people on here that had.
I’ve now watched the episode and…..
I think I have to eat my words a little bit. Giving them the total benefit of the doubt and say that Sun DID have fabulous toffee, it’s a stretch that she wouldn’t even make the bottom 3. I understand that Cleo broke the rules and she should have paid the penalty, but George didn’t really make his point clear. He said “put aside” the Ganache, not “throw out and start again” – big difference in my opinion.
And it seems she mad a ripping custard. If Sun’s toffee saved her, surely that custard should have saved Cleo.
I know they’ve made it clear that they don’t intend to bring any eliminated contestants back in, but surely they could make an exeption in this case. I hope the producers started working on that the moment she walked out the door.
I make no comparison to Marion. She made a shit satay and deserved to go that day.
And I stand by my previous comment about Hayden. Sure it’s a long shot that he couldn’t beat 9 other contestants. I’m sure Cleo thought that too. He’ll look like a right dick if he gets eliminated with that pin stuck to his hat. I’m almost hoping it happens now.

29 Masterchef Tragic { 05.30.11 at 7:54 pm }

What is BILF??

30 Dictionary Muncher { 05.30.11 at 9:40 pm }

BILF here stands for Bitch I’d Like to Fuck.

However, the true meaning is ‘Brown I’d Like to Fuck’;

This refers to females with sexy brown skin tones that have profound affects on the male genitalia, including but not limited to, erections, premature ejaculations, and nocturnal emissions. Often accompanied by an unexpected alishasingh.

These individuals are sometimes of Punjabi descent, but can occasionally be from Delhi, Bangalore, and Mumbai as well. They are rarely from Calcutta. Sikhs also do not typically fall into the BILF category.

A BILF also has the tendency to be a pathological liar.
“Poppy Harold fancies himself a certain Lac-living BILF, but the Government of Canada frowns upon such naughty boys.”

“Marie was barren so she adopted a BILF.”

31 littlepetal { 05.30.11 at 10:23 pm }

Dictionary Muncher-what’s your point here???

32 davsimp { 05.30.11 at 10:59 pm }

Actually BILF in this blog means Babe I would like to Fondle, which was coined by commenter Culinary Boner in regards to Judges and younger attractive female contestants. It was explained by Reality Raver in her opening post.

33 Paul { 06.13.11 at 6:21 pm }

I just tried making the toffee the way that Sun did.. it’s tastes awful.. all burnt and bitter.. yet mine looked *exactly* the same as hers..

34 littlepetal { 06.13.11 at 6:31 pm }

We can’t taste and have to take the words of the judges. Of course we know that won’t work. If it does, don’t you think chefs will be using that technique?

35 Hen { 10.04.11 at 9:32 am }

Glad Cleo went. And I’d fuck Ellie happily.

36 Niels overmeyer | Manaartstudio { 08.30.12 at 10:16 pm }