Masterchef Australia – Cleo Couldn’t Redo The Ganache

The Cleo controversy continued today, and one had to wonder if the reason to cull her was to create such a media tsunami.

I entered the fray commenting on a story for ACA – if you are interested in watching it click here.

I actually disagree with Marion in the ACA story where she says after she was eliminated she managed to get a cookbook deal and make her own range of sauces. Being kicked off at number 20 is different from going at number six. The amount of air time Marion had compared to Cleo made it so much easier for her to launch her post-Masterchef career.

I had not read this article on Nine MSN before I went on. But it did clarify  one issue which was why didn’t Cleo restart the ganache?

She said:

She said it was impossible for her to restart the ganache, as judges asked her, because producers had removed the ingredients from behind her bench.

“Each contestant had a box and there was no additional ingredients,” Kerameas told ninemsn.

“Someone came from behind and removed the ingredients so I couldn’t restart the process all over again.”

“In my head I thought, oh well that’s finished.”

Which raises the question why were the ganache ingredients removed when the challenge was still going and it was the last of the elements to be made. Was it sabotage?

Anyway in other media news I was on Aust Media Week with the acting editor of The Australian discussing TV. If you want to lose an hour of your life you can listen to it here.

1 TMC { 05.28.11 at 7:53 am }

Well well well, arn’t you becoming a media hussey.

Top Job!

2 Peter A { 05.28.11 at 8:03 am }

Each season I sense that the producers have predetermined their “Top 3” and its from this top 3 the winner will emerge. When an opportunity to eliminate a top cook outside of this “Top 3” arises, then its taken. If one of the “chosen” contestants had done what Cleo did, then the toffee would have been allowed in the judgement.
Hayden, already is in the “Top 3” . He had an easy run to win the Immunity Pin. They made a mistake in a previous season and allowed an amateur to beat a Chef and embaress him.This will not happen again. The next time we see an apprentice turn up, there is a good chance another Immunity pin will be won.
Its only a TV show and I do enjoy it.

3 smauge { 05.28.11 at 10:27 am }

Did she ask if she could have it back? And also it wouldn’t have been removed if she had just used the ingredients when she should have. I don’t agree with everything that happened in that episode, but she did stuff up and blaming producers at this stage isn’t going to make her look good.

4 brain dead dave { 05.28.11 at 11:19 am }

All Cleo had to say was ;

“Which one of you ingrates took the ingredients tray?’

Instead it’s inflated into a full blown Greek Tragedy.

5 AnonyMousse { 05.28.11 at 11:48 am }

How do we know she didn’t, bdd? This show’s editted up the wazoo, it’s impossible to know what’s happened has truly happened according to all these post-elimination interviews.

6 brain dead dave { 05.28.11 at 12:15 pm }

We may never know until Ma$terchef -The Director’s Cut is released, Anonymousse.

I’m going too play my ammunity pin here and now. I was drunk for the episode in question. Beyond recalling Cleo,Peter and Ronald Mc Donald announced as the three bottom feeders,the entire debacle is pretty hazy for me.

7 Muuru { 05.28.11 at 3:21 pm }

I reckon they’ll bring her back later on in the competition, and she’ll end up winning.

Who wants to bet!

8 Panda { 05.28.11 at 5:45 pm }

I’ll bet. I don’t think she will come back. No one wants to buy a cook book from a hair gel addict. Just sayin’ :p

9 smauge { 05.28.11 at 6:23 pm }

She could teach Hayden a thing or two about hair care.

10 dereku { 05.28.11 at 11:40 pm }

Ummmm, I recorded and watched the elimination again, and if you look, the ingredient box is still there even at when the time was up……so whose box did the so called producers take?????

11 Anonymous { 05.29.11 at 10:51 am }

“Meanwhile, the latest evictee from MasterChef, Cleo Kerameas, said she was warned by producers she was not meant to be making ganache while her toffee was cooking, but said she was so anxious it didn’t register.

“I stopped for a bit, but then I just kept going. I felt like such an idiot later,” she said.”

See EH post 38? on Cleo Gone – This is Bollocks for the link to the article in the herald sun that has this quote on the end.

Given she was warned by the producers, ignored their warnings and thought she knew better, it explains the look of more embarrassment than shock when gaz turns up and tell her she has broken the rules.

12 AngelSN86 { 05.30.11 at 11:50 am }

I can understand why the producers might remove the boxes, for OH&S reasons as they are a potential hazard and someone could trip over one. But as someone pointed out earlier, we could clearly see boxes stacked up behind benches as the time ran out. Plus I highly doubt they would remove the last few boxes, they’d remove the sponge or custard boxes first. And all she had to do was ask the producers for her box back. Or at least a ganache box from someone.