Masterchef Australia – Jay V Tony Howell

Tonight the immunity pin challenge was on Busselton Pier and it was visually fabulous, but whoever decided to shoot the cooking challenge there had obviously never heard of the “roaring forties” as it was blowing a gale.

I would love to have known how they kept Matt Preston’s hat on, and for once George Calombaris must have been glad he was bald.

Tony Howell the Executive chef from Cape Lodge was competing with Jay, and they were cooking Western Australian Seafood Stew. Jay had 70 minutes to replicate it

The whole episode was about the adductor muscle, which was pronounced abductor, and “inductor” by George.

Tony had used the wrong scallops not the ones with THE muscle off so in the last few seconds he was scrounging around trying to cut them off.

Jay’s plate was judged first.

The marron was cooked perfectly, however scallop over cooked and the “inductor muscle” was still on it. But they did like his bisque better.

Plate 2 was Tony’s:

Again they found an adductor muscle in it, and there was not enough aioli, but guest judge Hadley Troy said the cooking of seafood on plate two was better.

Jay scored 22 and Tony scored 23, therefore no immunity pin for Jay.

Jay

1 Jasmin { 05.31.11 at 9:55 pm }

Wasn’t it refreshing to hear guest judge Hadley Troy pronounce the word ‘element’ properly!

2 SaintsDeano { 05.31.11 at 9:55 pm }

Great advertisement for WA. don’t know why they didn’t have the elimination challenge at Cape Lodge? Found link on cape lodge website regarding challenge. http://capelodge.com.au/category/chef-tone/

3 littlepetal { 05.31.11 at 10:00 pm }

The WA week was promoted by Tourism WA and rumoured to have paid $130,000. Read here:

They may want to show more of WA.

Tonight challenge could have gone both ways. So it is obvious that the producers do not want Jay to win the immunity pin.

4 wallah { 05.31.11 at 10:40 pm }

Meh…the only enjoyment came from me thinking Mr. Preston was doing his dandy best to impersonate Carly Simon from her No Secrets album cover. On the whole, very boring. But, at least they were focused on the food to some extent.

5 brain dead dave { 05.31.11 at 10:46 pm }

You’re So Vain fits Jowlsy to a tee. He made a big song and dance about one adductor muscle. I’d bet he didn’t walk the 2ks out to the end of the jetty.

6 jord { 05.31.11 at 10:58 pm }

Am I incorrect in saying that in all the immunity challenges so far the contestant’s plate has been the first and the chef’s the second? I think I can even recall someone saying something along the lines of “as always my plate was judged first”. The judges not being able to spot this pattern is a little baffling to me…

7 Laura { 05.31.11 at 11:02 pm }

Jord – the contestant chooses whether their plate will be presented first or second. I suspect that t hey often choose first because that way their dish has nothing to be judged against and, if it is good, the judges will give it a high score, not knowing what is coming next… going second, their dish will be judged against the professional and most likely won’t measure up so they will be given lower scores. It also seems that (according to the editing) the judges score the first dish before trying the second, which makes it even more desirable to go first.

8 littlepetal { 05.31.11 at 11:04 pm }

jord-I read on another forum that when the contestant scores were given out first mean the chef win. They said it happened last season. I will be watching closely next week.

Yes, so far this season contestant plate is Plate No 1

9 Chunks { 05.31.11 at 11:19 pm }

Wish they’d had Jay competing against my hero Hadley but somehow I don’t think the end of the Busselton Jetty in a typical howling sou-wester is the place for his type of cuisine. What a silly place to set it. Why not up the Gloucester Tree at Pemberton or on top of Bluff Knoll in the Stirling Ranges or any number of outlandish scenic places where anyone with any sense would never go to cook.

10 wallah { 06.01.11 at 12:17 am }

lol @BDD, can just see him in the golf buggy or the motorised scooter for the “journey”

11 PollyB { 06.01.11 at 7:22 am }

Wallah & BDD – Agree, 100%.
Jowlsy is soooo vain. Close ups of him feeding himself, no matter how small the portion, are not welcome viewing. He obviously reckons otherwise.
This ep was boring as bat shit.

12 AnnyB { 06.01.11 at 7:48 am }

Why did I have a vision of a South American coffee planter when I saw that hat…oh yes, shades of old movies, methinks.

At least with this episode there was no gallery.

I did like the guest chef. Easy going, no attitude and very helpful. And why wasn’t as much made of the adductor muscle in Jay’s dish as it was with Tony’s.

Jay is probably one of the best in this competition but I do wish he would develop a little humility.

13 Honeysnaps { 06.01.11 at 9:14 am }

There has only been one occasion this season where the contestant (Jay) chose to serve up his plate up as number 2. If I remember correctly, it was because Jay’s pie had fallen apart and the chef (Colin Fassnidge) helped him hide the exploding section. If Jay had of plated up first, it would have been too obvious for the judges that he cooked it. I noticed they judged Colin first to try and hide the fact that Jay had lost by giving his scores second. So glad the peanut gallery had to sit this one out.

14 Paul { 06.01.11 at 9:15 am }

One thing that is annoying is the pieces to camera from the contestants during these challengers.

The contestants are cooking at the end of a 2km wharf, yet the piece to camera is done with a backdrop of trees and a garden.

Now if they spoke in the past tense it wouldn’t be a problem, however they speak in the present tense..

Example:
Gary: “Tony needs an 8 off Matt to win” (backdrop of water standing on a pier)
Tony (piece to camera): “I am praying for an 8. I hope my scallop is good enough, blah, blah” (backdrop of garden and trees)
Matt:*flips over an 8 (backdrop of water at end of pier)
Tony: “Yes” (backdrop of garden and trees)

A bit of continuity shouldn’t be too difficult, surely !!!!!

15 Rosie { 06.01.11 at 9:18 am }

>>At least with this episode there was no gallery.

Good point, AnnyB. A point that I completely failed to recognize, lol. One can only hope that the PTB will now realise the gallery is an unnecessary distraction, and can them from now on. But I guess that is a forlorn hope.

And thank Christ Jay didn’t win ammunity!

16 AnnyB { 06.01.11 at 9:20 am }

Also when is it done, as I noticed that Jay was quite sunburnt at the end of the show but in the garden he appears not to be.

17 Pollywaffle { 06.01.11 at 9:47 am }

did I hear correctly – about three times – that Matt P has an abductor muscle – could have fooled me.

… and why oh why everytime he said it did I feel an overwhelming urge to gaze at his crutch and note the VPL – Visible Pillock Line

18 Culinary Boner { 06.01.11 at 10:38 am }

At various times last night I thought the remote had flicked me to the Shopping Network special offer for the “Ab-ductor 3000” so I could get abs of steel with just 5 mins a day’s of straining. Well, that’s instead of the jaws-of-steel Maxybon-style that Matt Cravat was trying to make out he’d get from chewing a couple of scallops.
They needed an ad cameo from Arnie – “You know your body deserve this. Work on them ABDUCTORS so all housekeepers will WANT your body”

19 smauge { 06.01.11 at 10:38 am }

Paul, have you never recounted a story and used the present tence to build suspence? I don’t think the producers are trying to fool us into think they film these segments DURING the challenge, but it would hardly make an interesting piece to talk in past tence.

20 Pollywaffle { 06.01.11 at 11:05 am }

Common, the try hard Casablanca look just came off as Casawanka

21 Fides { 06.01.11 at 11:06 am }

What I don’t get is that Matt the glutton gushed about the generosity of the seafood, yet the previous day, it was too much crab on Peter’s salad. Like a customer is ever going to complain about getting too much seafood. You’d think Matt would be moaning in ecstasy if that really happened.

Tony sure looked like he was going to throw up before Matt’s score was revealed. Thought that was great – how refreshing to get real expressions and reactions.

22 Culinary Boner { 06.01.11 at 11:45 am }

Wasn’t Mr Howell a Gilliagan’s Is character?
I demand to know why didn’t they reprise this theme for the jetty?

23 brain dead dave { 06.01.11 at 11:49 am }

There was a lot of $hit on the jetty,too…besides the contestants and judges.

24 auds { 06.01.11 at 1:15 pm }

I liked this episode………… Probably because Busselton is where I live and I could nearly throw a stone at the Jetty from my house.

It was lovely to watch them both bantering with each other, the Chef seemed like a lovely guy. I think Jay did very well under the crappy weather circumstances. He said at one point his bay leaf had blown away 5 times!

I just wish we had known the day and time of the challenge we could have got in our boat and had a gander close up!

25 HungryHippo { 06.01.11 at 3:05 pm }

My partner commented on Matt looking just like Boss Hog from dukes of hazzard in that outfit.

26 Reality Raver { 06.01.11 at 3:10 pm }

Oh you guys crack me up too funny. Thank you so much for commenting.

27 brain dead dave { 06.01.11 at 4:10 pm }

Casawanka with a bit of African Queen thrown in.

With a white whale near the end of the jetty ,I was half expecting the Pequod to sail up.

28 JaniceG { 06.01.11 at 4:18 pm }

Matt has revealed how his hat stayed put on Twitter: “@MattsCravat Useless Background fact: Gaffer tape and a dozen bobby pins and safety pins digging into my scalp kept the hat on in the wind!”

BTW, thanks to everyone for the recaps and the comments: I’ve been out of the country for a week and thanks to you I don’t have to sit through all the stored-up episodes!

29 Pollywaffle { 06.01.11 at 4:58 pm }

Whats going to be the New York look for Matt P
A cape and spats?
Truman Compote?
Studio 54?
cant wait

30 Culinary Boner { 06.01.11 at 5:38 pm }

Pollywaffle
It’ll be George, Gary and Matt as the Beastie Boys…..
“Hey Ladies…”

31 Gillian { 06.01.11 at 7:06 pm }

I don’t know why people think Jay is smug and cocky. Why is in Australia if someone is confident, it’s seen as arrogance? I’ve seen so many examples of Jay being a team player and caring about others such as defending Dani’s salad while she would have happily thrown him under the bus had their positions been reversed.

32 HungryHippo { 06.01.11 at 7:55 pm }

Pollywaffle, I’m praying for cape and spats, that would be a cracker!

33 brain dead dave { 06.01.11 at 7:59 pm }

Jay is small potatoes in the arrogance department compared to appalling units like Kochie, Lleyton Hewitt, Ponting etc…he just needs more time.

34 PollyB { 06.01.11 at 10:37 pm }

Where is Matt Moran? Where is Matt Moran? WHERE is MATT MORAN?

35 Oshada { 06.01.11 at 10:56 pm }

I agree with PollyB, Matt Moran has been conspicuous by his absence these past few days. He doesn’t seem to make an appearance tomorrow either. Also, tomorrow’s elimination challenge… euh. Poor Kumar!

36 littlepetal { 06.01.11 at 11:50 pm }

I think what we saw was filmed around Jan/Feb and Matt M had a a skiing accident and need surgery. He will be back later.

37 smauge { 06.02.11 at 6:59 am }

Back to the look a like theme – my sister thinks Jay looks like Pigsy form Monkey (anyone under the age of 35 will be wondering what I’m on about.)