Masterchef Australia – Spanish With A Twist

George said “I knew when I set eyes on you in Adelaide you were going to go a long long way.” Now surprisingly he was saying this to Michael not to Ellie who in this episode he managed to touch twice.

First time was when the judges were swapping the baskets George gave her a consoling rub on the back. And the other time was when she was crying because the dish she presented was poor. Gary went in for a hug, and then George could not resist as well. I notice Dani did not get the same treatment when she got a little teary.

Tonight the invention test was a Spanish theme, where the contestants had to choose two matching ingredients. The choices were lamb and anchovies, oranges and sherry, and chorizo and squid.

The twist once they had picked their 15 ingredients from the pantry the judges swapped every ones basket.  Much consternation all round, particularly the non-dessert cheftestants that got landed with the dessert baskets.

Dani was one of them. “I decide to go with something a little bit out there” said Dani of her Spanish trifle. I am not sure I would consider Spanish trifle out there. “I know it is not right but my brain is not registering this, and I keep on going.” All she had to put together jelly, sponge and a chocolate mousse/creme and she stuffed it. Gary said the sponge tasted stale.

Jay was not happy getting a dessert as it is not his thing. He was making churros and could not get it right however he could have cleaned his basket that he was frying them in a bit more frequently. Gary said they were “stodge ball”.

Ellie got Kumar’s basket which she said did not lean towards savoury or sweet so she made creme brulee as well as a stuffed capsicum with a deep fried eggs. She ended up having to dump the brulee and the deep fried egg. Gary said it was “strangely unpleasant” and once the tears started he went in for the grope and George joined in.

Conversely the good dishes were:

Danielle who made lamb and bean casserole with an anchovy crumb, and patata bravas. Gary said “the casserole was delicious, and absolutely fabulous.”

George gushed “you just cook stuff with soul, oophm, and guts”.

Michael made tapas of lamb – Matt said “Plating needs work, but in terms of flavour – wow.”

Arena made chorizo stuffed squid with a capsicum sauce. Matt said “one of the most vivid dishes they had seen, and the flavour lived up to it.” he also said it was one of her best dishes in the competition.

Matt made chocolate tart with spanish fruit. George said “it looks absolutely horrid and it is not acceptable, but there were some flavours there with a bit of tweaking could have made a great dish.”

Shannon made tapas of stuffed squid, crispy squid legs, baked beans with eggs and chorizo. Gary said “you have done a good job, presentation wise I like it.  George said “Produced three really tasty dishes.”. Maybe Shannon is the dark horse in this competition.

Top four were Arena, Danielle, Shannon and Michael with Danielle winning.

Bottom three were Jay, Dani and Ellie. Matt was lucky to dodge the bottom three, only because the others had truly disgraceful dishes. Tomorrow night it looks like a dessert so Jay may be in trouble. Though if I as a betting person my money would be on Dani to be eliminated.

No idea what the other contestants cooked as their dishes were not shown. That is the pity about this show, at this stage of the competition the way they edit does give away who will be bottom and top three.

1 librarygirl { 06.05.11 at 10:08 pm }

Stupid challenge. I would have loved one of them to throw their basket on the floor and say “see you in the pressure test”.

2 Izobel2 { 06.05.11 at 10:09 pm }

I know it’s been said before but why can’t they show all the dishes? Makes the top and bottom too obvious. They could easily for it in if they only showed one judges review peer dish, rather than the 2

3 Essjay { 06.05.11 at 10:09 pm }

I hope Danielle thanks Mat a gazillion times for putting together a decent basket of ingredients…

4 seepi { 06.05.11 at 10:11 pm }

Couldn’t they t least show us what sun and kumar made?

Jay is funny – so keen to pratice everything and read cookbooks to do well in the show, but thrown completely by the idea of dessert.

He didnt’ have to make churros – why not make crepes or something else, once he had tried the chrros about 3 times with no luck.

5 Izobel2 { 06.05.11 at 10:12 pm }

I know it’s been said before but why can’t they show all the dishes? Makes the top and bottom too obvious. They could easily fit it in if they only showed one judges review per dish, rather than the 2 or 3 Comments for each dish they showed tonight. Arenas dish looked good. Happy with bottom 3. Time to go Dani.

6 Injera { 06.05.11 at 10:16 pm }

Oh, Essjay, that is exactly what I was thinking. Good luck to contestants who got a basket from somebody who “gets” food; bad luck to those who didn’t. Flexibility my arse.

Michael, once again, seemed unlucky not to get top spot. He must be wondering what, exactly, he has to do.

Of the bottom three, they are my three least favourite contestants, so I don’t really care who goes. Dani has been shown to be the least competent, however, so I guess I hope it’s her.

7 Injera { 06.05.11 at 10:18 pm }

Oh, and the hugging? Creeeeeeeeeepy.

8 littlepetal { 06.05.11 at 10:43 pm }

I don’t like the hugging. RR you are right. This is not the first time that George hugged Ellie.

They saw the flaws in Jay and Mat and gave them the dessert baskets.

Dani will go tomorrow as Ellie will be safe. She is o.k. when there is a recipe. Jay may scrape through.

Will be interesting to see how Danielle cope in the immunity challenge. It is not an easy one.

9 davsimp { 06.06.11 at 12:21 am }

What shat me the most was the way the double G’s launched in to give Ellie a consolation molestation and were practically APOLOGISING for their comments when last last week they spoke to Andrew like he was shit on toast. Now I was not a fan of Andrew and was not sad to see him go, but I thought Gary’s comments were very harsh and there is no way in hell he would’ve said what he said to Andrew to Ellie or Dani or probably any of the others. A few tears and these blokes turn to shit.

I hope Dani goes, she is a nightmare.

10 JC { 06.06.11 at 4:45 am }

No excuses really from contestants like Jay and Mat not being able to do desserts five weeks (MasterChef time) into the competition. They have probably been under house arrest for 3 months by the time this episode was filmed so they only have themselves to blame for their lack of dessert-making abilities. Did they even watch Season 1 or 2 of MasterChef? Contestants have to at least fake being interested in desserts and pastry if they want to be Straya’s Top Amata Shef.

I agree with davsimp regarding Gary’s comments and the double standard in criticisms with Andrew and Ellie. If there was any consistency, Andrew should have been made to taste his raw steaks and unscaled sardines and then give an honest critique of the flavour and texture of his dishes.

Pressure Test is a dessert challenge but Asian-inspired. Jay can breathe a sigh of relief as generally there is no use of butter or cream in Asian desserts. (Was that sago I spotted in the preview?) Jay will struggle but as he is getting the Marion edit this year, he’s a sure bet for the Top 10. Dani will demonstrate her “expertise” in Asian cooking (as acknowledged by the ever reliable Chelsea) and continue to bamboozle viewers into wondering how the hell she even made the Top 50 cut.

However now that George has gotten yet another grope of Ellie, I predict she is the next one to go. There is an unwritten MasterChef rule: Three gropes and you’re out. Anymore and Channel Ten will have a sexual harassment lawsuit to contend with. Ellie, Dani, Chelsea, Arena, and Alana should read the fine print in their contracts more carefully.

11 Jess { 06.06.11 at 5:03 am }

I don’t think Michael understands that you’re not supposed to “catch” a curve ball. Or throw it back for that matter. That’s not how baseball works!

Also, I wished more people would comment on this blog. The official MasterChef forum is terrible! The moderators there delete entire threads for no good reason at all. “Oh no, someone has a negative opinion of an aspect of the show! Delete, delete!”

12 dmc { 06.06.11 at 6:46 am }

Just to echo some posters above. You want to win Masterchef but are frightened of cooking a dessert. Pathetic.

13 AnnyB { 06.06.11 at 7:58 am }

Has Dani gone? There is a piece in the Sun-Herald ‘Life’ liftout of Dani’s ‘My Day on a Plate’.

14 smauge { 06.06.11 at 9:06 am }

I thought that too Seepi. Stubborn maybe?

15 Crabtech { 06.06.11 at 9:19 am }

I guess it’s too early in the competition for much discussion. Either that or we not as much into it this year. I suspect it’s the latter as they don’t appear to be a very appealing bunch and while the scenery (WA, jetty) may be great the food certainly hasn’t been.

Not too mention we are all aware that it is a show not reality so no need to get our knickers in a knot except for the relentless repetitions.

16 wallah { 06.06.11 at 9:23 am }

Just watched the episode…did anyone else pick up on Gary’s snarkiness about canned cherries? I suppose they’re not as good if not better than the fresh product? Also, who picked out the panko breadcrumbs that the poor dude got in his basket?

17 Fides { 06.06.11 at 9:44 am }

wallah – can’t remember whether it was Mat or Jay who got the panko crumbs, but they swapped with Danielle and Arena respectively. Did notice Arena grinning behind Jay as they were cooking when G and G came along to mock his churros-making efforts.

It was unsettling to see Ellie being forced into that hug. She was distressed enough, but her face when Geo came along to “console” her showed she was quite uncomfortable.

Just read that Dani is part Chinese, and wants to open an Asian deli. At least she has no delusions about being a chef… I’d say she gets the chop tonight – the edits have been really highlighting her incompetence in these last two challenges – maybe she gets too much help from the peanut gallery (considering we’ve seen her getting help from other contestants during the recent individual challenges) and goes the way like her buddy Chelsea?

18 dmc { 06.06.11 at 9:47 am }

Crabtech, I agree it’s a less appealing group, and the cooking level has been really low. Gary hit the nail on the head when he said ‘my 9 year old could make that’. Seriously, some of the kids from Junior Masterchef could hold their own in this company. And with the editing still being moronic, the product as a whole has been more reliant than ever on being like an episode of Getaway to maintain interest.

19 EH { 06.06.11 at 10:05 am }

10 minutes into the episode, we already knew the top 4 and bottom 4. I really dislike the editing. Too predictable and boring. The preview last night showed Jay stuffed up and almost gave up. In ‘typical’ Masterchef editing, this means Jay is safe. The most ‘groped’ contestant last season was Clare and she was in top 3, this translates to Ellie should be safe for now. My money is on Dani too.

I am sooooooooo not into this season, even with Nigella guest judging this week doesn’t excite me anymore. Sigh!

20 Fides { 06.06.11 at 10:25 am }

And one thing re Ellie and her third pressure test – I’m surprised Gary didn’t mention Julie Goodwin and how she was constantly in pressure tests (was it 7?). Ellie’s gotta take comfort in that – she better start thinking of her cookbook ideas.

21 littlepetal { 06.06.11 at 10:40 am }

Ellie don’t have any creativity at the moment. If she come out with a cookbook at this stage, there will be fill with recipes from others cookbooks.
She can say it’s a compilation of recipes that I love to follow!!

Dani should go. She even asked Billy how to do the chocolate mousse in the challenge. Isn’t that cheating???

22 kingfisher { 06.06.11 at 11:06 am }

i agree about we all know who will be get to the top or who will in the elimination . i want to see all the meals the cooks create , i want to know who has talent and who doesn’t . not already know when there interviewing them as soon as the show has started . there is 2 guys who hardly get any air time , one is a diver and the other a muso but there names couldn’t tell you . why on earth would you be a blubbering mess because your meal was crap ,”it’s only a bloody meal” think of all the sick and dying people out there who have no food and the amateur cooks blubber “my god” . that comment that gary said to jay about how his daughter could cook better than him , i would have jump the bench and smack the crap out of the chubby smart arse.anyway thats it bye .

23 librarygirl { 06.06.11 at 12:01 pm }

kingfisher – adam? and craig.
Whenever Adam? comes on we say “there’s the dark horse”.
Shannon was ignored until last week, you may recall.

24 Crabtech { 06.06.11 at 12:13 pm }

Yes Kingfisher the judges have been rather mean this year. I don’t remember other years such negativity. I’m not saying they should be polite with food that is horrible but it’s mean to say comment like my nine year old daughter can cook that.
Could it be that people with talent havent applied given they have to give up up to eight months of their lives and be on public display????
It seems that a number of contestants are using the show as a way of getting some publicity to start catering businesses. Good on them.
As for buying a cookbook by them no way. I’ve seen adam’s cookbook being sold at Australia Post. What does that say about the selling/pulling power of masterchef cookbooks.

25 smauge { 06.06.11 at 12:21 pm }

I hope we are right in guessing Jay is safe based on the preview edit. If he goes out tonight we will end up with a completely crap finale.

26 Ann { 06.06.11 at 12:22 pm }

I am so p……off with George. He just had to have the last word with Mat, letting him know how close he was to leaving. Mat was fully aware that his dish didn’t make the grade. George was so bitchy and spiteful. Mat has Ellie’s tears to thank for him staying as it couldn’t be seen that the judges were influenced by them. Girls, take note, no tears. And George, try to be nice and stop spitting every time you use a “P” word. Also, I wanted to see the dishes Kumar and the others tried. Crappy editing!

27 Pollywaffle { 06.06.11 at 12:24 pm }

group hug with George and Gary – thats a Gug that makes me want to gag

28 EH { 06.06.11 at 12:58 pm }

Oops.. Posted this comment on the wrong post!

***Spoiler alert***

Someone spotted a contestant out and about in Melbourne GF&W show on Saturday.Does this mean he/she is not in top 8? Spoiler link is here: http://origin.forums.vogue.com.au/showthread.php?t=376729&page=111

29 David Allen { 06.06.11 at 1:11 pm }

What’s with Dani’s speech? The long pauses in the middle of sentences. Is this a regional thing or gen Y or something. I’ve heard it before and thought it was contrived. Obviously not. Better than um and err, I suppose.

30 dmc { 06.06.11 at 1:16 pm }

I think Jay whipped some cream. It’s a fair comment to say your daughter could do that.
Yes, it would be amazing if Jay went tonight based on last night’s preview.

31 brain dead dave { 06.06.11 at 1:26 pm }

Gary’s slimy sugar coating is BILF sensitive, hence “ghastly gag material” spewed at Andrew last week becomes “strangely unpleasant” for Ellie.

Best they could have done was offer a tissue like Dr Phil or Michael Parkinson does/did and not go the grope. I’d be whipping up some home made capsicum spray from the Ma$terchef pantry to keep Gary and Georgy Porgy off.

32 Pollywaffle { 06.06.11 at 1:34 pm }

Just add chilli to keep George off – that’s Greek kryptonite

For Gary? erm more difficult, perhaps coat yourself in a grainy custard?

33 brain dead dave { 06.06.11 at 1:40 pm }

“‘You want a root, George?…..here’s some salsify…now go away!”

34 criticism { 06.06.11 at 1:57 pm }

so im readin every1’s comments, n apparently every1 seems to hate judges hugging contestants or being critical.
i honestly dont see what is wrong with george telling matt how close he was. its a reality show, expect some drama. he’s being damning about Matt’s performance which he’s more than entitled to do.
re the hug – unless im suffering from selective amnesia, there’s plenty of hugging out there. would you ppl prefer if the judges gave comments, saw the girls cry, n stand there all motionless not offering any type of demonstrative compassion? last time i checked, when ppl are unhappy, giving some1 a hug isnt a grossly inappropriate thing? ppl dont seem to have an issue with contestants hugging each other, but once a judge does it – omg, get the sexual harassment lawyers out??

35 brain dead dave { 06.06.11 at 2:02 pm }

Fair comment ,criticism. What you’re missing is the general observation here that attractive contestants are hugged,while ugly ones aren’t.

36 criticism { 06.06.11 at 2:19 pm }

i think part of the problem is, the BILFs in general have no cooking talent and were probably selected onto the show for eye-candy appeal, whereas the ugly ones actually have culinary skill. Since they have skill, n arent generally in the bottom for some horrendous piece of cooking, they have no reason to cry, and thus wouldn’t need a hug

37 Crystal { 06.06.11 at 3:27 pm }

I wad shouting at the tv last night when the judges made Dani upset. I was shouting “I bet you’d hug Ellie!”…wo and behold! It’s totally transparent, predictable and sleazy, and incredibly amusing. I didn’t find George’s really spiteful comments to May amusing. There is judging a dish and crushing somebody. And he doesn’t normally do that so I wonder if Mat is a real smartarse or perhaps schtooping Ellie in the MC house and cutting George’s grass?

Dani has to go, right? She’s not entertainingly inept, she’s just bad at cooking.

38 littlepetal { 06.06.11 at 4:27 pm }

The judges especially Gary doesn’t like Mat from Day 1. I couldn’t bother to check Mat’s website whether he has reviewed Gary’s restaurant and gave him a bad review.

I also felt that Billy is also getting a tough time from the judges. Maybe it is because both of them are food bloggers.

39 brain dead dave { 06.06.11 at 4:35 pm }

Gary’s like a silverback…without the silver.

Jay’s hair is an homage to Gary. Jay reminds me of Toady.

40 PollyB { 06.06.11 at 5:07 pm }

BDD – agree with all your comments. And others posters re the hug and bagging Matt so badly. The pawing of Ellie was sooo slimy last night.
And agree regarding that old chestnut – not enough dishes shown. YTF bother showing them walking up with their plates? This show may now blatantly be only for advertising, but the product placements, anybody for Panko breadcrumbs, go over my head. If they pixelated the products I’d be more interested.

41 JaniceG { 06.06.11 at 7:33 pm }

Just caught up as we were out last night.

First comment: was there any rule against asking the original basket owner what they had in mind? While it’s true it’s a competition and it’s every person for his/her self, I bet some of them would have cooperated and told.

Have to agree about Jay: supposedly he studied like mad in order to do well this year – he had to know desserts would come up, why wouldn’t you try to master some basic techniques. Seriously, 75 minutes for churros when in the first 15 or so you realized you were clueless about them? Change your mind, bozo!

Most of the bad dishes (except Ellie’s) were dessert and If I were a contestant (and with the bunch of mediocre cooks we have this year, I almost could be!), I’d be practicing desserts like mad in my off time.

I bet Jonathan and Callum are kicking themselves that they went into the competition last year instead of this year!

42 davsimp { 06.06.11 at 7:41 pm }

JaniceG you are so right!! Callum would have aced it this year hands down!! Yes some of them did ask the others what they had in mind to cook when they received that persons basket which is why Jay had it in his head that he was going to cook the churros. That was what Arena (i think that was whose basket he ended up with) said she would be making.

43 JaniceG { 06.06.11 at 8:15 pm }

@davsimp: Thanks for the explanation about the churros: I whizzed through this episode on FF so I probably missed that. Glad someone thought to actually ask, although it ended up doing Jay more harm than good.

44 PollyB { 06.06.11 at 10:13 pm }

All set up for Jay to get in an elimination round, and fail, as he has. He had never cooked a sponge before and made the best one and he still got the arse. Complete crap.

45 criticism { 06.06.11 at 10:43 pm }

dani and ellie. fken sleazy skanks. hugging and comforting jay when he was crying in his seat after his elimination. the first second she saw jay shed a tear she was all over him. not only that, hugging before they even started the elimination challenge. obviously just gross like what ppl have been saying.

jay should sue the girls for sexual harassment. like the above posters said, just slimy.

not only that, if you watch gary in his bad chef good chef he’s similarly that huggy and feely with his co-host. she should sue too. no pattern at all there.

and such an obvious conspiracy against jay. nothing to do with the fact that he doesnt do desserts well compared to the girls who basically can only cook desserts relatively well (sometimes)