Masterchef Australia – Jay Has Gone

Jay handed back his Mensa membership, when he said “Ice cream needs to be chilled and needs to be cold.”

Talk about stating the obvious. He had a tough night, he is a good cook, but he is not a strong dessert person.

Tonight they were cooking Pandan Chiffon Cake with Black Sesame Ice Cream, Coconut Praline, and tapioca. It was a recipe of Dan Hong’s from Ms G’s in Potts Point, Sydney.

They had 90 minutes to cook it in.

It was the Dani and Jay show tonight in the pressure test, we hardly saw Ellie at all, except for the start of the episode where she looked like she was going to be sick. Her lack of screen time indicated to me she was safe.

Dani’s whose dream is to open own asian grocer and snack bar, earned my respect tonight when she turned to the peanut gallery and in a passive-aggressive way said “Sorry I am just getting confused” as in shut up Danielle. Danielle had her invention test win go to her head, as she kept on yelling out instructions.

Jay was stuffing up, not reading the recipe  properly and kept on making mistakes. In fact he looked like he did not know how to fold egg whites properly.

I did laugh when George came up to him and asked “Are you under control?”. “Not even close” was his response.

George tonight again proved tonight that he gets the naffest lines. It must be in his contract. “You can’t have your cake and eat it too” was the lowlight of the episode.

Ellie’s dish got good reviews Dan Hong liked the icecream as he could taste the black sesame and palm sugar. He thought her sponge was dense.

Dani said she has taken her lipstick to show she is serious about being in the competition dish got great reviews.

Dan thought it was the best ice-cream of the lot. Matt said she has nailed the flavours of the dish.

Dan was just impressed that all of Jay’s elements were on the plate.

And that said it all and Jay was eliminated. Gary said it was a tough decision on their part. He was devastated.  I had not realised he was only 31 and married. Both him and his wife look about 20.

It was a bit of a surprise  considering he has been one of the stronger cooks of the competition. But tonight he did plate up the worse dish. It is a bit of a pity as at least he had a personality.

1 Paul { 06.07.11 at 3:49 pm }

CB is right in a way.

Desserts make better television than savoury. I know its a cliche but people do eat with their eyes and desserts are simply more attractive on a plate.

Jay should have put more time into them.

2 librarygirl { 06.07.11 at 4:27 pm }

Jay – who I liked – is simply not pretty enough to be the winner this year.

3 littlepetal { 06.07.11 at 5:03 pm }

CB. I know what you mean. I don’t do ice creams either. Only started to try my hands in doing sponge and chiffon cakes. My point is if you want to be a contestant in MC you just have to grind your teeth and learn to do those basics. Pastry is another one. Possibly there will be some souffle, cream brulee, etc.

Remember last year there were so many who couldn’t do a mayonnaise. (LOL, I don’t either! Hardly eat them)

The other problem I have is the time constraint. Just because you are slow doesn’t mean you are not a good cook. This is not a race where the best time win. It is about the food. I don’t care if someone needs extra 10 -15 mins to come up with a delicious dish.

4 JaniceG { 06.07.11 at 5:36 pm }

littlepetal – To avoid frustration, keep in mind that this is not actually a competition to find the best amateur cook in Australia. If it were, they were just be setting recipes or challenges for everyone to cook, then eliminating the bottom dishes, then going through the exercise again, and we would be spending a lot more screen time seeing what contestants have cooked. The show would not, for example, be switching food baskets among competitors, doing beach challenges where the quality of the food was immaterial compared to the amount of food sold, or making challengers cook tempura, salsa, and baklava at the same time.

This is a television competition whose main aim (although it’s hard to tell that from the actual show this year :-> ) is to create interesting television that will attract viewers and to find someone who can survive the show’s rigors. To that end, they’re happy to show a contestant in speedos, create a Gilligan’s Island alcove, and put the contestants through ridiculous challenges and tests that have absolutely no bearing either on how good a cook they are or how they would perform as a cooking professional.

The first stage is acceptance… :->

5 littlepetal { 06.07.11 at 6:11 pm }

JaniceG-No frustration here. Just watching for entertainment purposes. Just love to speculate how they are going to get rid of the better cooks and how to get their chosen ones to win.

6 JaniceG { 06.07.11 at 6:43 pm }

I’m not sure about chosen ones vs better cooks – who knows which is which at this stage? I really can’t recall a season that was so lopsided in terms of screen time for the contestants. At this stage, continuing viewers should be able to name all of the contestants at the very least and yet I’m sure there are at least 5 contestants who I barely know are on the show and who have not had more than maybe 15 minutes of screen time total in the entire season so far.

7 DeeDee { 06.07.11 at 8:06 pm }

I can’t believe Jay has gone I am not watching this show anymore. He was a great cook and they set him up to fail under their new guidlines this year “no prima dona’s”. Both girls he was up against can’t cook they just looked better than he did !!

8 JaniceG { 06.07.11 at 9:14 pm }

Recap is up at http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/tears-flow-like-rain-on-a-cake-in-the-macarthur-park-kitchen-20110607-1fpmd.html

Best line: “Matt Preston asks Dan Hong what stage the contestants seem to be at. Anger and bargaining, I think.”

9 smauge { 06.08.11 at 7:14 am }

“maybe when they realise what a terrible bunch the top 10 is, that they’ll renege on the “no comebacks” promise and give the eliminated contestants another shot.”
Oh please let it be so!

“Zumbo masochist”
Please don’t put these two words together in a sentence. I have to concentrate on work today.

“Jay – who I liked – is simply not pretty enough to be the winner this year.”
My sister named him Pigsy after the character on Monkey

10 Culinary Boner { 06.08.11 at 12:20 pm }

Smauge, Pigsy at least had more personality than Tripitaka, Sandy, Horse and Monkey combined. And had a voracious apetitite for all things culinary and carnal. So based on what we what we saw on TV, Jay ticks at least one of these boxes. I know I’m digressing here, but looking back on the Monkey Magic series how many adolescent boys were left confused by ‘stirrings downstairs’ for the boy monk (played by a cute-as-a-button Japanese model/actress).

11 smauge { 06.08.11 at 12:25 pm }

Tripitaka was played by a girl?? Now I don’t feel so silly for getting through first season not realised Tripitaka was meant to be a BOY monk! Pigsy was always my favourite. And I’d completely forgotton that the horse started to become human in later episodes!
ok – comments can return to normal broadcasting now…

12 AngryGuy { 07.01.11 at 9:58 pm }

This was honestly the worst call I have ever seen. Jay can cook better than everyone on that show (excluding Billy, they are about on par with each other). I cannot believe he was beaten by the other two. So what if he cannot cook desserts? He covers everything except for desserts, while everyone else cannot even do half the things he can. No offense to the rest of the contestants but they are no where near as good as Jay or Billy. If Billy does not win, then I have lost all faith in reality TV.

13 Morgan { 07.04.12 at 5:08 pm }

Jay really should have been given another chance. The judges knew he could cook the pants off Ellie and Dani (and to think, they went on to make the Final 5), but no, they had to boot off one of the few talented cooks this trainwreck of a season had to offer.