Masterchef Australia – Thorsten Schmidt V Danielle

Danielle was looking worried when she saw Martin Boetz from Longrain on the judging panel as she Thai food was not a strong point for her.

However when she heard the celebrity chef she was competing against speciality was Scandinavian cuisine, Thai suddenly became the lesser of the two evils.

Thorsten Schmidt from Malling and Schmidt in Denmark was facing off against Danielle, and he said he never ate Thai in his homeland.

He did look worried about cooking the Murray River Cod wth Star Anise and Cassia Bark with a crisp chilli and garlic relish. Did anyone else think the dish looked a bit unappetising. I know Longrain’s food is full of flavour but that dish did nothing for me.

Thorsten looked at it and said “Every ingredient I don’t use you probably find it there.” He was getting ten minutes less, and only getting a two minute look at the recipe.

At first I thought this was unfair, not the ten minute handicap, as his knife work was amazing, but the fact he was not getting the recipe. However in the end it did not matter.

His lack of knowledge did give the Tuesday night episode a bit more tension then usual.

First dish judges was Thorsten’s.  The judges thought the knife work was great, but the relish let it down.

Danielle’s was not presented as well, but the relish was better. “Flavour was good”. There is a hair in the relish which gave George Calombaris the opportunity the be overly dramatic about it. George won’t be winning an academy award anytime soon. He was saying it was unacceptable, however he did not mention she should be wearing a hair net.

The score for Danielle was 21 out of 30.

Scores for Thorston was 26. He looked very relieved as well to have won the challenge.

1 auds { 06.07.11 at 10:21 pm }

The dish looked bloody revolting to me…… but what do I know?

Thorston (keep wanting to say Thurstan Howell the third!) was very cute and cheeky. He didnt appear to have any delusions of grandeur whatsoever.

Also not to shabby on the eye either!

2 Izobel2 { 06.07.11 at 11:10 pm }

Loved Thorston. Didn’t like the guest judge. And as Jerry Seinfeld would say, what’s the deal with hair, people love kissing kids on the head, people love running their fingers through people’s hair, but when you see a hair in something everyone freaks out!! And what’s with Dani?? She says “oh wow Danielle’s made herself all gorgeous and pretty today, that’s nice”, when she’s there with her fascinator watching from the peanut gallery!

3 Izobel2 { 06.07.11 at 11:10 pm }

PS and yes Auds that dish looked DISGUSTING!

4 Panda { 06.07.11 at 11:14 pm }

Thorston – Loveliest guest chef ever.
I love Dani, I know must people on this blog don’t, I thought she looked very cute with her hair bow.

5 Izobel2 { 06.07.11 at 11:21 pm }

Well I guess she did Panda…. but it’s Masterchef not Melbourne Cup. Maybe she dressed up cos Thorsten was in da house!
I can’t work out why they don’t wear hair nets if they don’t want hair in their soup either.

6 AnonyMousse { 06.07.11 at 11:28 pm }

Well, they couldn’t have weighted that competition in favour of the Masterchef contestant much more (giving a chef a dish he’s not encountered before in a style he doesn’t use and apparently isn’t popular in his country), and victory still stayed well without her grasp. It must anger the ones who get a chef who’s cooking their own dish when they see other contestants getting apprentices or chefs who are being given dishes with ingredients they’ve never heard of – not very consistent or fair.

Also, the preview of the next episode with its tag-team cooking looks to be an especially dumb contest idea. Professional cooking is nothing like Professional wrestling, no matter what The Rock is cooking and no matter how well you smell it.

7 Fides { 06.07.11 at 11:33 pm }

I eat Murray cod a fair bit and it always looks revolting, like it’s had a seizure on the plate. But I eat with my mouth not my eyes and it’s one of only 3 types of fish whose texture I can stand.

Loved Thorsten – what a superstar. Some of the European guest chefs have been very agreeable – I’m remembering the Belgian chef who offered Andre from S1 a job.

I thought Dani made an effort with her hair in support of Danielle. They’re good buddies, aren’t they? Maybe they did each others hair in the morning.

8 Susan { 06.07.11 at 11:34 pm }

I just am VERY excited about seeing Nigella tomorrow – I simply adore the woman…. blah, blah, blah to whatever crap the contestants come up with, she will simply be as charming as ever …
And yes AM, it really looks like another simplistic, never happen-in-the-kitchen challenge – meh!

9 littlepetal { 06.07.11 at 11:51 pm }

I still have my suspicious with tonight challenge. I think Thorsten may have a chance to read the recipe way before the challenge start. It is rather amazing for someone who never eaten Thai food to cook so well without a recipe. He wouldn’t know what flavours to look for but of course he has all the basic knife skills. Lovely guy.

10 Chunks { 06.07.11 at 11:54 pm }

Well looks like it’s unanimous. I thought Thorsten was great. Nice sense of humour. These challenges are indeed very uneven this year. Hard to believe they didn’t set Daniele up to win.

The whole Murray Cod whacked in the bowl did look a bit unappetising. Would have liked to try it though.

11 littlepetal { 06.08.11 at 12:12 am }

Tomorrow night challenge is a silly idea. Look like some poor fellas will be facing elimination even though it may not be their faults. It’s Gen X against Gen Y and I will think Gen X will win. Another blue win?? and Hayden again in the losing team??

12 davsimp { 06.08.11 at 12:40 am }

It was worth watching this episode because of Thorsten. He was brilliant! I loved the look of the dish, that fish would have melted in the mouth and the Thai flavours would have been to die for.

To be honest I am surprised this was the first hair a judge has found in his food – loads of them have their hair flapping about the place, YES I’M LOOKIN AT YOU MAT!

Is it really a gen x and gen y challenge tomorrow? How is that going to work? Peter and Rachel are baby boomers surely.

13 Lily { 06.08.11 at 12:43 am }

^ Wow at everyone’s reaction to the dish. Funnily enough, my mum got all excited about the dish they had to cook today. She kept exclaiming how good it looked and how ‘yum’ it must be.
To make it fair, she is asian and most fish dishes look like that or worse. At least this had garnishes and was submerged under a dark broth.
The one’s I usually eat have eyeballs that gouge out and stare at me like a horror movie.

14 Jess { 06.08.11 at 2:13 am }

The fish looked pretty good to me. (I’ll never really understand some people’s obsession with having all their fish filleted). But the bowl it was served in didn’t complement its appearance at all.

I thought Thorsten never having had Thai food before was strange. I guess Thai cuisine is probably not all that common in Denmark; but as a chef, you’d think he would have more experience with other foods. Excellent knife-work, though.

15 PollyB { 06.08.11 at 7:25 am }

Christ, imagine if Andrew had a hair in his food. George would have been playing dead. Rachel is no baby boomer, she’s in her mid 40’s.
Tomorrow’s challenge is courtesy of Top Chef where the chefs do well at picking up what the others had in mind. And TC is back on Monday. Yay!

16 Injera { 06.08.11 at 9:38 am }

Loved reading Twitter when George was making a song and dance about the hair, as there were a few comments from people who’ve found extraneous things in their food at Press Club. I wonder if they had to bring in the defibrillators for George when that happened…

Loved Thorsten, thought the challenge was “courageous” of the producers. Here: let’s get a guy who has never cooked with a lot of these ingredients, not really tasted the flavours, give his competitor a head start AND the recipe… surely we’ll get one of the cheftestants over the line that way! It wasn’t even CLOSE. Showed up how shallow the talent pool is in this year’s cast.

17 akris { 06.08.11 at 10:12 am }

hating the imbalance of the immunity challenges this year!!! just does not seem fair esp that Hayden did get immunity and his challenge was so much easier than all the others.

I actually thought what Dani said about Danielle being all dolled up could’ve been a bit snide.. she had a bit of a laugh…

18 RarelySeen { 06.08.11 at 10:15 am }

Yes Injera, I have thought about the talent(less) pool to the point of saddling up for a crack at the stairway to fame.
Dani, 1950’s Danielle & Everybody loves Ellie are churning my already consumed ingredients. These suspiciously contrived alliminations (nod to George) seem to be groomed toward keeping the merde in the mix.
Why is Thorsten so busy whilst he’s in Australia? His charm was the only quality ingredient last night.

19 Culinary Boner { 06.08.11 at 10:41 am }

“That’s not a hair, George…Now THAT’s a hair!”, exclaimed Matt grinning maniacally as he yanked a greasy half-dozen no louse would deem fit to call home from his flaccid locks. George looked folornly at the rock-a-billy specimen he held between his fingers, encrusted with chili, garlic and ginger, thick with henna and oil. “Of all the thousands of hairs I’ve had to endure on this show, why did I draw the short straw and get a gobful of this,” George lamented. “It’s a bloody bobysoxers’. They’re the female equivalent of Greasers ya know. They think it’s the ’50s and bathing’s a Friday-only option. In shared bathwater mind you. No wonder that dish was so cloudy, it’d been swimming in Brylcreem. For fuck’s sake, I’m askin’ production for danger money.”
“Give over George,” piped up Gary. “Back in old Blighty, that’d be considered a tiddler. I remember a bubble and squeak I had once that could’ve passed as a cat.”
“Speaking of pussy,” interjected George, suddenly breaking out of his funk. “How’s the year’s contestants. Bloody alright I reckon.” He looked back at the hair in his fingers and sighed, trailing off: “If off only this was blonde and fine as a maiden’s silken tresses…”

20 KC { 06.08.11 at 12:09 pm }

I love his advice in the end; “Learn all the basics.” That’s something most of the Masterchef contestants really should do before going on the show

21 ToniTones { 06.08.11 at 12:24 pm }

Culinary Boner – your comment has made my day 😀

22 brain dead dave { 06.08.11 at 12:33 pm }

Cook from the heart Danielle…not the scalp.

23 Anonymous { 06.08.11 at 1:22 pm }

Yes Dani was practically saying “Why bother Danielle you fat mole” well thats how I read it …

24 brain dead dave { 06.08.11 at 1:35 pm }

Danielle really let her hair down in last night’s challenge……

I do wonder how George would have played it had the hair come from Alana,Arena or Ellie. Alana looks a smash …..like Nigella must have about thirty kilos ago. As it was ,Georgy’s reaction to the hair was like a Cagney death scene or at least an over the top Greek Tragedy.

25 Pollywaffle { 06.08.11 at 1:59 pm }

Danielle gave those chef white’s buttons a pressure test of her own

26 brain dead dave { 06.08.11 at 2:17 pm }

LOL…Those buttons were under more pressure than an Elvis jumpsuit.

Danielle took her loss on the chins, but.

27 Chunks { 06.08.11 at 3:06 pm }

Kumar is definitely a Babyboomer. Maybe he gets a team of his own.

28 scruffnkelsmum { 06.08.11 at 9:04 pm }

Danielle’s chef’s whites were much tighter when she 1st put them on and got into the car than when she arrived and walked in- must have been a verrrrry long car ride!!! :):)