Masterchef Australia – Arena Is Eliminated

I really find it difficult that the Thursday night eliminations are inconsistent. It can either be all in or just two of the Masterchef contestants going head to head, with the peers have to pick who goes. I know why they do it as it gives the show a bit of a Lord of the Flies edge, seeing who the group is going to turn on.

Arena and Shannon both put their hands up to go head to head. I think George Calombaris was being delusional when he described them as two the best cooks in the competition, as it wasn’t the best cook winning, it was the worst cooking losing.

Also it was obvious Arena lost because she was so red eyed in the to camera interviews.

The reason Shannon put her hand up was she thought she did not do very well, in the team tag challenge, and Arena for using her own recipe for the cup cakes and the fact they were a disaster.

I loved that Dani backed her into a corner and said “so are you volunteering to go up” and Arena meekly said yes.

The elimination was very Iron Chef with the cooks making as many dishes as possible in the 75 minute time frame with the core ingredient, which was chicken.

The judging criteria was how many dishes they made, how creative the dishes are, and how they taste.

The catch, they only had one chicken each to use.

Shannon made chicken cacciatore, chinese steamed chicken breast, and jewish chicken soup. When she roasted her chicken bones she set them on fire, and then proceeded to cook the onion and garlic for her cacciatore sauce in the same oil.

Arena made a chicken boudin blanc. She had not made one before. At that point you knew it was going to be a disaster. In fact she did not even plate it. Matt Moran had not liked her concept of putting an Italian salad with it.

She also made Sri Lankan style chicken curry, chicken thai wings, thai chicken soup, with chicken dumplings.

Arena was having major time issues. Her chicken wing were looking like it was going to undercooked, even when George gave her a tip of getting it going quicker by putting a bowl over it she still served it up red.

The judging:

Arena’s Thai soup – Matt Moran who is a really good judge asked her what the main three characteristics were of a Thai soup, and he said she was missing the sour.

The Thai chicken wings – it was undercooked and Matt said if it was a restaurant he would send the dish back. “The spice is quite in your face, there is not a great deal of balance in it, it is just heat.” he said.

George also thought the wings were pedesterian.

Arena’s Sri Lankan curry was served without rice, as she forgot to cook it.

Shannon was judged next her  Jewish chicken soup  George thought it was a chicken stock that needs to be reduced right down. Matt didn’t like all the congealed fat.

The steamed chicken breast dressing had lumps of palm sugar, however George said there were some good flavours in there.

Chicken Caccitore – Matt said the chicken is cooked perfectly, but the burnt garlic kills the sauce.

Shannon was crying did George and Matt go to comfort her? No not a finger was put on her. As I said previously it was no surprise when Arena was eliminated.

She has opened a kitchen in her parent’s organic shop where she makes vegetarian food. The shop is in Karrinyup in WA.

1 Chunks { 06.10.11 at 2:28 pm }

Jeez, how many 55s are sitting at home with a crocheted blanket on their lap watching daytime TV? Perhaps y’all mean 75s? The people sitting at home watching daytime TV are unemployed stoners bonging on. Those Masterchef ads where Shannon burns a chicken carcass have them crazy with the munchies.

2 CJ { 06.10.11 at 2:35 pm }

BDD mentions daytime tv ads and declares them fodder for either over 55’s or housewives. I’ve been wondering which he fits into but Chunks has explained it with – “The people sitting at home watching daytime TV are unemployed stoners bonging on.” Makes sense now :) Now it’s up to MC to Market more appropriately – (hash) brownie challenge anyone?

3 brain dead dave { 06.10.11 at 2:43 pm }

I agree bella vita. Dani’s lower than sharkshit.

Hats off to RR for picking her for villain material so early.

4 brain dead dave { 06.10.11 at 2:45 pm }

CJ -where did I mention housewives? You’re the one off your face .

If you can’t quote me correctly,STFU….and lose some weight.

5 CJ { 06.10.11 at 3:03 pm }

My mistake, I’ve rechecked, it was Paul. And… really?

6 CJ { 06.10.11 at 3:12 pm }

Just realised BDD edited his initial comment to add his misdirected attack ( the fact I comment on the nature of people’s potentially racist comments doesn’t mean I’m part of a racial minority). What’s the strategy with the comment edit BDD? So regular commenters /

7 brain dead dave { 06.10.11 at 3:27 pm }

I edited a comment to include the last part….so shoot me. You’re the anti fat joke crusader from the other week.

Where does racism come into this?
What “‘strategy”?

8 PollyB { 06.10.11 at 6:27 pm }

JaniceG – As I said, I ffwd the tripe, ie – as soon as judges start their emotional reaction-inducing act the ffwd button is pressed. So I haven’t seen Arena tear up. Also, it wasn’t just the red eyes and nose. She had no eye makeup or lipstick in the to-camera pieces. If the production company really cared about the investment of the viewer – time, mental and emotional – they would make an effort to disguise the end result prior to the event showing on our screens. Hence my previous comments that the production quality is very low and that the ratings are being taken for granted, cos clearly they don’t give a fig about the viewer experience or bother trying to disguise that they don’t give a fig.

9 wallah { 06.10.11 at 7:28 pm }

Hmmm…normally steer clear of these things but man o man, does Paul come in for some flak for stating facts. Thank you Paul.
To quote Homer Simpson, “I’m a white male aged 18-49, everyone listens to me”, followed by the can of Nuts and Gum (Together at Last!)

10 Susan { 06.10.11 at 7:34 pm }

Arena on Perth radio this morning said her new shop, opening in her parents Absolutley Organics shop, will be open in 2 weeks… might go check it out and report back to you all…
Get this – she also going to do classes and first one scheduled in July is how the use an entire chook – man, wonder where she got that one from bwaahaahahahahahaha
Sounds like Jay cooking that green cake more than 16 times when he got the boot – don’t get it personally!

11 Pollywaffle { 06.10.11 at 7:54 pm }

Arenas new cooking class … Headless Chook 3 ways

12 Casual reader { 06.10.11 at 8:58 pm }

On this episode, when the camera show Matt and George standing right next to each other. With their difference in height and horizontal weigth – Matt reminds me of Dr Evil and George as Mini me!

13 brain dead dave { 06.10.11 at 9:09 pm }

It’s an awesome episode….with the mute on.

I’m having a heart attack just looking at Gary’s Chocolat au lard.

14 Pollywaffle { 06.10.11 at 9:14 pm }

Rachels packing a turtle in malaysia

15 Pollywaffle { 06.10.11 at 9:20 pm }

@casual reader. Just add Donna Hay -Alotta Fajita

16 brain dead dave { 06.10.11 at 9:28 pm }

Pollywaffle…I don’t get the packing a turtle bit and I’ve checked at Urban Dictionary. At the minute Gary’s obesity workshop is still going.

How much more artery clogging trash can he fit into that mixing bowl?

17 Pollywaffle { 06.10.11 at 9:40 pm }

BDD it’s front bottom look – popular with the over 45s and never hidden by a white apron

18 Pollywaffle { 06.10.11 at 9:42 pm }

Otherwise known as turtle smuggler – the upsized camel toe

19 Pollywaffle { 06.10.11 at 9:48 pm }

Gary stuffed that dessert … Should have served it in an edible chocolate bowl with a Milo chaser on a bed of crushed maltesers

20 brain dead dave { 06.10.11 at 9:49 pm }

Ah,many thanks,Pollywaffle. I got it now.You should submit it to the above urbandictionary.com ,a great website and very funny.

21 PollyB { 06.10.11 at 10:16 pm }

Aagh, Pollywaffle, BDD, turtle what?!! Geez, I’m not over or under 45, can’t allow myself to get the picture. Uggh, but figuring what you mean. Yes, add it to Urban Dictorinary, I’ll give it a thumbs up. The meaning.

22 JaniceG { 06.11.11 at 6:55 pm }

PollyB – If you’re skipping through sections that might involve contestants crying, then seems odd to claim that only Ellie was guilty of turning on the tears.

Agree about the production values, though.