Chris And Anastasia From The Amazing Race As Dumb In Real Life As On The Show?

On tonight’s episode of The Amazing Race Australia Chris is seen going ballistic at Anastasia, but in an interview with TV Week she defends his behaviour.

This article made me speechless, so I am leaving it for you guys to comment on.

Yes she is only 21 years-old.

The article stated:

As they cuddle up on the lounge, finishing each other’s sentences and playing games, Chris and Anastasia look like any loved-up couple. But it’s an image that people might find hard to believe, given the controversy surrounding the couple’s fiery nature on The Amazing Race Australia.

“He’s a bit of a villain on the show,” Anastasia, 21, admits.

“Chris says things because he knows they’re going to get under my skin. I retaliate with the silent treatment. I may look angelic [on the show], but I’m actually getting under his skin.

Chris 23, made comments to Anastasia that have led to claims he’s chauvinistic and disrespectful to women. The snide remarks towards his partner of three years haven’t been taken lightly by viewers or the other contestants on the show.

“We would see Chris and Anastasia fighting and she would sulk for hours and not talk to him,” rival competitor Mel reveals, while Anne-Marie, one of the loveable B W ladies, adds taht she even had to step in at one point.

“They’re a beautiful couple, but very fiery,” she says. “I told him off [after a challenge] and said, ‘You were yelling at her – you need to stop doing this!”

But engineer Chris isn’t objecting to how he’s been portrayed.

“From the outside looking in, it is shocking,” Chris admits. ” If I had a sister and that was boyfriend [talking to her], I wouldn’t be happy either. You can make a million excuses, but what I did wasn’t right. There are people – including her parents and mine – who would look at that in disgust.”

The couple realise that what is seen on TV looks bad, but stress it isn’t an indication of what they’re normally like.

“I feel like I have to defend him to everyone,” Anastasia says. “I don’t want people to think that Chris hates women. That upsets me. What the viewers see is only what can be played from 36 hours of filming – and in that 10-minute [section] we fought. You can’t look at that and say we were fighting the entire day.”

Chris also says the restrictions put on the contestants – mainly the smoking ban- meant he was more fiery than usual.

“The chemistry in my body wasn’t right,” he says. “I was like a wild animal and I was just ready to unleash.”

And while Chris may be known as the dominant male, Anastasia realises she’s going to attract her own labels.

“I like the ‘princess’ label,” she laughs. “It suits me fine – I’d prefer that to villain!”

Anastasia adds that she wanted Chris to make the decisions during the race to make him feel more like a man. She elaborates further, explaining why she wanted their roles to be gender-based.

“We come from very traditional Greek families,” she explains. “In my opinion, the woman has her traditional women’s roles [to fill] and the male has his domain – they’re both king and queen, but they do their own thing.”

Going into the competition, the pair openly said that it would either bring them to an engagement or be the end of them. So what’s the verdict?

“When people are hammering you, you find out houw supportive you are of each other,” Chris says. “Anastasia could easily agree with them and drift away, but she’s kind of become even nicer!”

Anastasia laughs at the idea, adding, “Our friends know we’re so in love. All couples fight, and we were put under extreme conditions of having no sleep and not eating.”

So while an engagement is on the cards, with Chris saying, “I’m not going to find another girl like her,” Anastasia reveals there’s a catch: she doesn’t want to move in with her beau just yet.

“The problem with moving in before you’re married is that the guy gets too comfortable and he’ll never set a wedding date!” she laughs.

But Chris is quick to add, “I need to save money first. I need money for the ring, wedding, house and honeymoon.”

1 S { 06.13.11 at 10:42 pm }

Aggghh i was pffffffing at the screen when she fell off the quad bike tonight… The first thing he did was run over to the bike and try and lift it, then got a dig in about how she should have let him ride in front and then finally he checked to see if she was alright seeing as though she was lying on the floor motionless. Could not believe him! Chris is an absolute tool and i wouldn’t want to be his gf, wife or anything else!

2 AnonyMousse { 06.13.11 at 10:58 pm }

You just have to look at the bikies from tonight’s episode to see how a couple who love each other fight – after a couple of minutes of him grumbling about losing the map they both started laughing over it all. It doesn’t matter if it was culled from 10 minutes or from 36 hours of footage, enraged yelling’s still not how anyone should act to a person they love. The guy should have brought some nicobate or something along if he’s chugging enough cigarettes before the race to go that aggro when he’s cold-turkeying.

3 stev { 06.13.11 at 11:34 pm }

seriously, this guy needs to be hit fair and sqaure in the jaw. how ignorant is this man? i believe in love, this is the perfect example of what love isn’t. anastasia, please, grow up a little and if your parents ever told you, you can do better than chris, they’re right.

4 The Amazing Race Australia | reality ravings { 06.13.11 at 11:37 pm }

[…] You would think she would leave him, but no see more of why they think their relationship is normal in a previous blog post title Chris and Anastasia As Dumb In Real Life As On The Show? […]

5 Polarwarp { 06.17.11 at 4:54 pm }

It looked like the quad bike had fallen on her – hence why he rushed to try to move it and then yelled to someone that he couldn’t move it.

I did think maybe they (tv producers) were blowing it up into something bigger than it was – but yeah the way the biker couple have gos at each other and then super quick they get over it – seems a lot healthier :)

That comment about not being able to smoke being an excuse for his behaviour – omg?!! Hope they stop having screaming matches before having kids!

6 Aldo { 06.18.11 at 9:03 am }

U are all sad morons.. Is it really that hard to imagine loosing ones cool under extreme pressure? Exasabated by having little sleep, being exhausted, hungry, lack of nictotine if ur a smoker etc? Its a hard stretch i know to imagine how one could possibly behave like that.. Idiots.. Anastasia is far from a picture of a battered woman. Yes Chris yelled, he has passion, so does she, they are Greek.. Ah.. This is normal behavior for Greeks/Europeans everywhere… Everywhere, in reality.. Its laughable. This is how people with fire and passion communicate, have you all been living under a rock?? Get over it.

7 Kristy { 06.18.11 at 9:16 am }

No woman, no woman! Omg, aldo.. we did not burn our bras in the street to be treated like that! Come on girls, mount your retro bikes with wicker baskets attached, burn your incense in the streets, step off your corporate ladders for a second, let’s unite and send a witch hunt after Chris! He is what is wrong with men everywhere and we must make an example of him! We are the better sex! We are smarter! Our bodies are sexier! let’s ride

8 AnonyMousse { 06.18.11 at 11:07 am }

Editted out – not worth fighting over. I will leave in that using nationality as an excuse for being fiery is rubbish – I am not defined by the land my ancestors came from, nor should anyone else be.

9 littlepetal { 06.19.11 at 10:48 am }

Just read in the Sunday Telegraph that this 2 actually broke off before the series went to air. They were told by Channel 7 to pretend that they are still a couple because it is better for ratings.

10 Viktoria { 07.05.11 at 8:35 am }

Aldo, I’m European and female you took all the words out of my mouth, and I agree with you 100%.

11 olawoki { 07.22.11 at 9:24 am }

Aldo & Viktoria win the most abhorrent people award today! congrats for so lacking in the understanding of how destructive that attitude is! Would you then next excuse an afghani for hitting a woman in the ‘heat’ of an argument….or a Pakistani man for killing his wife because she defied him?

12 Viktoria { 07.22.11 at 12:01 pm }

Olawoki, think to yourself…. have you ever yelled at your loved ones and known you were in the wrong?
It’s these moments/experiences in life we reflect and learn on how we could have handle situations better, we learn from our mistakes.
I’m not agreeing in saying it’s OK but we human’s can lose our cool.

13 olawoki { 07.24.11 at 10:32 am }

Viktoria!
of course i have! but not so consistently and vehemently as Chris has…remember he is in a stressful situation that every other contestant is in. Have we seen any other couple belittle their partner so horribly? No.
My point was that one cannot excuse abusive behaviour based merely on cultural clichés. Aldo claimed it was normal for Greeks to behave this way, to which I was debating that this is a ridiculous claim. I understand plenty of cultures worldwide view women as lesser creatures, and treat them thus, however this does not make them correct, nor is it excusable based on any modern humanism. Greek hot blooded-ness has nothing to do with passion, rather a lack of education in the rights and understanding of a different sex.
Chris is a wonderful example of how off track the modern Australian male is.