Masterchef Australia – Heston Blummenthal Elimination Episode

How many times do you think they shot the opening introduction to ensure that Heston Blummenthal got that rock star welcome in this elimination episode of Masterchef Australia? I am surprised they didn’t ask someone to faint.

Though Shannon was fanning herself and getting very flushed, but hell so would have 50% of the women in Australia.

Just a few quick comments on the episode which was interesting to watch but not a lot of drama as such:

• I like Kate but she did make one of the dumbest comments of the night. Β “You can’t help feel a bit worried about what the outcome will be today” said Kate. Um someone will be eliminated as it is an elimination challenge….
  • The dish was burger, fries and milkshake, and they all looked delicious. They needed to make bun, patty, ketchup and cheese. The milkshake had to be a flavour of their own choosing. The challenge was for 3 hours and 15 minutes;
  • Rachael started with her bun mix rather than her meat mix as Heston advised. She was confused and said she thought the meat needed to be cold before mincing it. After a tickle up by Heston she decided to try and do the bread mix and meat at the same time. This was just the first of many brain implosions from her this episode;
  • Rachael Β then put all the meat together when she should have kept the chuck separate. They got her more meat. Much teeth gnashing from Cleo at home about that one I am sure;
  • When Michael put his beef in the fridge there looked like another meat package in there. Was this Heston’s or someone elses?
  • I thought it was disrespectful that George asked Heston for his glasses and it wasn’t funny is psuedo clown impersonation;
  • Rachael continued to implode over cooling her cheese, over reducing the tomato ketchup;
  • She kept it together until the end she knew she was done and broke down in tears;
  • I was actually quite touched by Michael’s response when he was talking about the lime milkshake, yes I know it is always handy to have a sob story, particularly when you are on the ropes, but his story was appropriate as it related to the drink, and his dish was the best of the day;
  • I noted they have to give the milkshake to George last as he double dips;
  • Craig used two buns instead of just halving one bun, now that would have been embarrassing;
  • However as Rachael admitted herself she knew she was a goner.

1 Crabtech { 06.14.11 at 2:41 am }

Sad Rachel is gone but it seems that if you are singled out then you fall rapidly. Noticed that if you are going to be eliminated they show you at home although they also showed Michael at home so that threw me. Sorry no matter how that hamburger and chips tasted there’s no way I’m going to spend two hours and a half hours preparing them. This was the most ridiculous recipe ever. Good challenge but as Michael (?) said they used 2kilos of tomatoes to produce a quarter of a cup of tomato sauce! How utterly self indulgent and not to mention wasteful.

2 Jess { 06.14.11 at 4:26 am }

The meat was probably another contestant’s, since what we watch is rarely shown in chronological order. The show is always edited to give the idea that everybody finishes within ten seconds of time running out, even though many contestants sometimes finish early. I guess it adds to the suspense, though.

3 SaintsDeano { 06.14.11 at 6:04 am }

Rachel did overplay that she was from WA but she had one od the most dignified exits so far. Her letter to Kate was from the heart. Great challenge. Great episode.

4 smauge { 06.14.11 at 7:32 am }

First of all I think I’m in the other 50%.
I’m glad Rachael left simply because her getting more meat basically constituted cheating. Had the meat exchange not happened I think Craig’s head would have been on the chopping block I think.
I also agree about Michaels tears. They were heartfelt tears about a memory he shared with his late father. If anyone cries from now on for anything less than that, they should be up for elimination!

5 littlepetal { 06.14.11 at 7:59 am }

I don’t mind Rachel but she is really out of her depth last night. She said so herself in the Byron News

6 AnonyMousse { 06.14.11 at 8:04 am }

Oh, so that’s what happened at the end? This season’s cooks haven’t been interesting enough to make the decision between watching the last half-hour or turning over to the Amazing Race a hard one – I flipped.

Seriously though, burger and fries? They brought in one of the most inventive chefs around to make burger and fries? It’s like whispering into a megaphone – serious waste of a drawcard. Last season’s Heston episode was one of the more memorable ones, as far as dishes go (Jonathan also did a better fanboy than any of these guys could ever muster). This episode, on the other hand, I probably won’t recall next week. Maybe that’s because I skipped the last half hour, but I’ve long since grown tired of the ‘do you deserve to be here’ pantomime they go through in these eliminations that I probably would have gone to the fridge for a drink during Michael’s apparently emotional dad story anyway.

The only thing I got out of this episode was to never buy a Sunbeam mincer (sorry Sunbeam, but product placement can be a two-edged sword if your product doesn’t perform well on national tv, even if it’s the contestants fault).

7 Sooty { 06.14.11 at 8:58 am }

I quite liked Rachel, and was hoping there was a slim chance Cello Fellow would go instead, or Ning Nong Shannon! But the meat meltdown cost her, and then the whole thing was one meltdown after another, so it wasn’t a huge surprise she left.

I know it was a complicated challenge but you’d think three and a quarter hours would be enough to plate up some better looking burgers. All that faffing about with three meats triple minced and so on and most of the burgers looked like undercooked spam.

It is a bit awkward having the less talented cookers doing challenges set by international celeb chefs, but with all these geezers out here for the whatsy festival and the show so popular, I guess they’ve just grabbed whowever is willing to appear. Last season they pulled out Heston for the final 8? in London, and it was a bit more fitting. Callum aside, last year’s lot did seem to have better skills. Blah blah, all I can think about really is Heston’s chips! Does anyone know what groundnut oil is and where you buy it?

8 AnnyB { 06.14.11 at 9:43 am }

Is groundnut oil the same as peanut oil? Not really sure, but for an oil that has a neutral taste and can be used at high temperatures I find Rice Bran Oil to be excellent.

Did anyone see the series where Heston tried to revamp the menu at Little Chef restaurants in England. I wondered when watching this Masterchef challenge if he was mentally comparing some of the offerings with those of the Little Chef.

I did like Rachel as she had a great outgoing personality and a lot of warmth.

9 auds { 06.14.11 at 9:43 am }

If I do say so I make a mean burger. We used to have a roadhouse and made the best burgers in the state according to a lot of travellers. No way I would spend that time and all that crapping on making it. All those tomatoes to make a tiny amount of sauce that you are going to add double quantities of shop bought sauce????? what a load of wank.

Get the right bun/cheese/condiments and make your own world class burger I reckon. Geez

10 EH { 06.14.11 at 9:49 am }

I would love to watch all the contestants doing Heston’s challeng instead the 4 in elimination round but I guess they need to pull in the big gun on Monday to win the rating race against AGT and Amazing Race.

It is so good to see Heston set thr challenge, got involved in and interact with the contestants instead of having Thomas Keller and Nigella Lawson sitting there judging the food and didn’t move an inch.

11 Sooty { 06.14.11 at 9:51 am }

Thanks, AnnyB.

12 reality raver { 06.14.11 at 9:52 am }

I seriously need to have a burger in the next few days now. With beetroot, pineapple etc.

Also Heston said his recipe was inspired by Burger Joint in the Parker Meridian in New York. Which does do a cracking burger.

Auds what did you put in your meat mix for flavour?

Crabtech – I thought it was 3 kilos and agree with the waste.

Rachael was one of my favourites she will be missed.

13 Injera { 06.14.11 at 9:53 am }

Still haven’t watched the ep, and I am a big fan of Heston. Really uninspired by this season… but I’m glad for the recap and comments so I can feel a part of it πŸ˜‰ I might watch later today and fast forward the unnecessary parts. Shouldn’t take me much longer than 20 minutes to watch, in that case.

Sooty – groundnut oil is peanut oil. Or so I thought until I googled to check. Teh interwebs seem to be divided on that.

14 JaniceG { 06.14.11 at 9:58 am }

This did seem to be a lot of effort for very little reward from the innovative Heston Blumenthal – at the end of the day, even a cheeseburger made with the best meat, the best tomato sauce, and the best cheese mix is still a cheeseburger.

I was sorry to see Rachel go. I really thought that the judges would give her extra mental points for getting a meal on the plate. Even with the judges letting her start over with the meat, I think it was a heroic effort and the judges did too so her elimination surprised me. Shannon used all the time correctly and still had more than one bad element so I was sure she was the one who was going to go. As for Craig, I thought the tasting of his stuff was a little too precious: fine, he made a mistake in not cutting the bun in half. Once you’ve marked that down as an error, why couldn’t the judges have just halved the buns so they could eat the burger and make an evaluation instead of all of that comic jaw-opening business?

I agree with Anonymousse about the mincer: Michael was the only one who didn’t have trouble with it but that’s because he babysat it by continuously feeding teeny tiny chunks.

15 Culinary Boner { 06.14.11 at 12:02 pm }

Burger me…the MILF’s gone.
Guess we’re stuck with Gen Y BILFs and chubsters from now.

16 littlepetal { 06.14.11 at 12:08 pm }

I think groundnut oil is peanut oil. There was a brand that my family used to buy in Singapore but I can recall the name but Knife Brand Peanut oil is good too. Peanut oil has high smoke point but Rice Bran oil has high smoke point too.

17 littlepetal { 06.14.11 at 12:09 pm }

Here is one of the many recipes for Heston’s burger:

18 Emma { 06.14.11 at 12:27 pm }

So childish and awkward when George put on Heston’s glasses. George is really annoying me this season. The less said about that, the better.

Will miss Rachel – she was a good sport who cooked well. So so agree with the ridiculous drama over Craig’s burger!

Also, I don’t want to sound heartless but having both of my parents deceased at a relatively young age I cringe whenever someone brings up their dead parent in relation to whatever dish they’re presenting, then proceed to get teary. For one thing, it’s overdone in reality TV and for another; I think it’s a bit manipulative (if not on the part of the contestant, then on the part of the show’s producers).

I have to say though I’m impressed by the well known judges they’re bringing in. Not sure if they can top this next year.

19 brain dead dave { 06.14.11 at 12:36 pm }

What’s the next challenge ? Chiko Rolls? Potato Fritters? Or a cook off against the guns from Junior Ma$terchef?

Exactly, Emma….if I dedicated this post to my dead parents and went the blub,I’d expect to face a blast furnace of ridicule. Michael jumped the shark with that stuff.

20 brain dead dave { 06.14.11 at 12:59 pm }

Saw you double dipping,too, George.

Boom Boom, infect the room.

21 Emma { 06.14.11 at 1:13 pm }

Bdd – I want them to make chiko rolls now! πŸ˜‰

haha at infect the room. That reminded me of the milkshakes last night – did they all drink out of the same one? That was fairly gross but I could just be nitpicking.

22 brain dead dave { 06.14.11 at 1:21 pm }

They had their own straws for each shake but one shake was too thick for the straws,which is where George forgot where he was.

23 Susan { 06.14.11 at 1:29 pm }

As a fellow Sandgroper – very sad to see Rachel leave last night – FFS Shannon is doing my friggin head in!
Rachel on radio this morning saying she has taken a traineeship at Fraser’s Restaurant in stunning Kings Park in preparation for CHOGUM – she will definitely have the opportunity there to touch up a few distinguished guests – maybe even the Queen!!!

24 kingfisher { 06.14.11 at 2:21 pm }

bddave they made chicko rolls last season , they where crap ! as for heston, man what a cool dude and not even a smart arse . he seemed like a regular joe , i love how he interacted with the cooks and not being bigheaded . but crikey haven’t we all made a super hamburger in our time , would you like to spend 3 hours+ making a hamburger . i am famous in my house for making hamburgers and it takes me 30 minutes . now for rachel thank christ that’s over , she should have been booted off as soon as masterchef cut up the 4 meats and diced it for her and for that lame milo milk drink a slap in the face for heston ! she got so much help , masterchef needed her on the show to push for the mum element but she was a sinking ship and they cut her loose . go micheal that’s it bye

25 Pollywaffle { 06.14.11 at 3:13 pm }

Hey what? That’s 12kg of tomatoes cooking for 3 hours to feed a tablespoon of sauce to MattP’s trap. The Carbon footprint is obscene not to mention the barge-arse gases.

26 brain dead dave { 06.14.11 at 3:49 pm }

Not just the 12 kgs of tomatoes but presumably Coles El Blando Clayton’s tomatoes-“fresh from the Ma$terchef pantry”.

Thanks kingfisher,I forgot about last year’s Chucko Rolls.

27 Thomas { 06.14.11 at 4:18 pm }

It might have been burger and fries but it was a 3 hour burger and fries, with a huge amount of work needed to make the patty, the tomato, brioche and triple cooked fries. It might seem banal but nothing simple about it. I thought Rachel was clearly middle of the pack; if she didn’t go out now it would be soon.

28 auds { 06.14.11 at 4:56 pm }

RR here is the link for my burgers. You may need to add more breadcrumbs or flour depending on the consistency. I love to make my own chutney etc to go on it. Also perhaps aioli if I am feeling energetic otherwise its just mayo

29 PollyB { 06.14.11 at 5:28 pm }

I really like Heston Blummenthal. He is the mad, off the plant professor and so down to earth at the same time. This is one of his dishes from his In Search of Perfection series. I liked Rachel but big fail. God I hope Shannon goes next. Words fail me in regard to George and Heston’s glasses. What was that?

30 Chunks { 06.14.11 at 5:50 pm }

Cough cough:

Under the watchful eye of Fraser’s head chef Chris Taylor, a grateful McSweeney is involved with the functions part of the restaurant.

“After much discussion with Chris, we decided I should work with my strengths which are being with people, being more front of house and using my knowledge of food and the kitchen to enhance the function side of things,” she said.

Have to agree.

31 littlepetal { 06.14.11 at 7:15 pm }

Yeah, Rachel can talk the talk. She will be telling customers that she is from WA and hubby works in the mine. Don’t get me wrong, I think Rachel is a bubbly lovely person. Good to have as a friend.

32 brain dead dave { 06.14.11 at 8:24 pm }

Front of house,hey? Rachel’s likely to swoon when the local garbage collector turns up.

33 littlepetal { 06.14.11 at 8:32 pm }

You got them mix up. The one that swoon is Shannon.

34 brain dead dave { 06.14.11 at 11:12 pm }

Thanks littlepetal. I should have them and their traits sorted by now.

35 davsimp { 06.15.11 at 12:25 am }

Where is Rachel from again?

36 Reality Raver { 06.15.11 at 9:10 am }

Davis Imp – I don’t know where rachael is from but must be living in Perth now. I have a Woman’s Day article with her in it will have a read and see what it says and get back to you.