Mat Beyer Kicked Off Masterchef – But What Happened?

The news limited papers broke the story this morning that Mat Beyer, Goth Melbourne food blogger, has been expelled from the Masterchef Australia for breaking the rules.

The Herald Sun reports:

VICTORIAN contestant Mat Beyer was booted off MasterChef Australia amid fears he might have been accessing recipes secretly.

Beyer, 24, was sent packing after MasterChef producers discovered that he had smuggled a smartphone into the hit Channel 10 cooking show.

Beyer was kicked out of MasterChef about a fortnight ago, within days of the contestants travelling to New York.

His breach of the show’s rules was discovered after a challenge where contestants’ cookbooks were all removed.

Beyer had reportedly had the smartphone for about six weeks.

Channel 10 refused to comment on his exit, and a spokesman for the show’s producers, Fremantlemedia Australia, said conjecture about a smartphone was just that.

There are so many issues here I don’t know where to start, but hopefully I can add to the story. I am not claiming I have all the information, but I am just trying to join the dots.

Firstly it is my understanding Mat did get to fly New York with seven other contestants, but was removed pretty quickly after arriving. One of the first things the Masterchef crew did do were have pork buns so I suspect he got to meet David Chang of Momofuku.

Now the challenge he allegedly cheated on could have occurred back in Australia, as the paper reports they had removed all the recipe books from the house, so it is unclear when the cheating allegations came to light, and how. However once he had to go through all the airport security is this when the mobile phone was discovered?

If so I wonder why he didn’t think of that logistical issue?

Anyway so if eight contestants flew over, and then he was dumped. There would have been one elimination challenge over there and then they would have been down to six contestants.

But then we have the Dalai Lama Masterchef challenge where it said in the Daily Telegraph there were seven contestants. So is this the challenge where the contestant is reinstated. And who the hell is it?

Normally in other shows where a person has had to leave, the last person to exit has been brought back in. So that would mean the person eliminated in NYC? But that might not make sense. Maybe they will have a challenge with the eliminated contestants to see who can be brought back in. Bring back Cleo I say. However a contestant that has had a big break from production comes in much fresher and this is not fair on the contestants still in.

Mat has been seen at the Melbourne Food and Wine Show, plus he is doing work experience at Steer Grill and Bar in Melbourne.

Mat does have similarities to season one bad boy Chris Badenoch. Chris had an iphone in the Masterchef house, which he used communicate with the outside world.  He would get people to research recipes for him.

It will be interesting to see if Channel Ten will let the media to talk to Mat after his expulsion.

Also here is an interesting blog post on the issue from Melbourne Food Blogger Essjay Eats she reckons Jay will be brought back in. (Possible spoiler)

1 littlepetal { 06.27.11 at 5:14 pm }

Others have a different story. They said they couldn’t find anything that indicated Mat cheated. Yes, he did have a phone and that is against the rules. Whether he was cheating or not, we never know.

2 renny '"poshreany'" { 07.01.11 at 9:25 am }

mat was a really good cook and even if he was “cheating” i believe he could have went far without cheating!

3 Bernie { 07.03.11 at 1:18 pm }

I too was shocked to hear that Mat was booted off Masterchef, but I suppose rules are rules and if you break them, then you have to suffer the consquences. I hope that either Jay or Kumar will get re-enstated as I think that they deserve it more than the others who were eliminated and besides I would like to see a bloke win Masterchef anyway.

4 AngelSN86 { 07.03.11 at 6:10 pm }

The Daily Telegraph is now reporting that Matt could end up coming back. I hope he doesn’t.

5 Severus Snape { 07.03.11 at 9:06 pm }

I think they should bring back someone who got eliminated on the back of a team challenge, Craig maybe or Kumar. People who got eliminated because of individual challenges did so because it was their own fault. I seriously hope it’s not Jay, he is arrogant and doesn’t have the skills to back it up.

6 Melanie Young { 07.03.11 at 9:48 pm }

my hypothesis after viewing tonight’s episode = If Matt went to New York (episodes showing next wee) he must survive the elimination challenge tomorrow night. That means a shock exit in tomorrow night’s episode of one of the 2 best cooks in the competition – Billy or Hayden. I’d bring back either Billy or Hayden over other competitors. They’re both likeable characters and can cook.

7 littlepetal { 07.03.11 at 9:57 pm }

It does look like Billy is going home. Promo shows Hayden is in trouble which means Hayden is safe.

8 JaniceG { 07.03.11 at 10:27 pm }

Glad I have witnesses that I thought Hayden should have saved his immunity pin for when he might be up against fewer people! I don’t know that the promo was that clear about whether it’s Billy or Hayden, though: it’s true that mostly they like rising from the promo disaster as a surprise but not always.

9 §ØNÎÇ { 07.04.11 at 8:14 pm }

Screw masterchef ,frickin cockbags!! i swear he didnt cheat or anything like that.

10 Monty { 07.04.11 at 8:34 pm }

What a joke, he should never have been anywhere near the top 10 let alone top 8!

11 Maroon { 07.04.11 at 9:49 pm }

I would love to see Kumar or Billy return. They were both bright and calm and great cooks. I loved both of them.

12 Masterchef Australia – Billy’s Gone But Will He Be Back? | reality ravings { 07.04.11 at 10:08 pm }

[…] Also there goes my theory that Mat got to New York meets David Chang and then was flown back home in disgrace. (See previous blog post on that here). […]

13 Tracey { 07.05.11 at 2:05 am }

I can’t believe someone is so attached to their iphone that they would risk losing something that they claim is so important to them. Surely if being on Masterchef was that important to Mat he wouldn’t have risked it over a dumb phone! What a knob.

14 smauge { 07.05.11 at 7:23 am }

From what I understand, He was waiting oon an important phone call/message and so he kept the phone. If that’s the case, he should have told the producers and I’m sure they would have made provisions.
He made a mistake and has been hauled through the coals for it. Anyone else on here made a mistake? Hindsight is a great thing. I’m sure he’d love to relive that day.
I feel so sad for him. I think he has some talent and I was really hoping he’d do well. Now everytime I see him on screen my heart sinks. I can’t wait until Wednesday just so it can finally end for him on the show. :(

15 Drew { 07.05.11 at 4:15 pm }

I’m of the hardline approach. It’s against the rules, end of story. I don’t think he deserves the apologism or bleeding hearts.

16 youngmel { 07.05.11 at 6:02 pm }

wednesday’s preview involves Matt Preston visiting the house to deliver some “bad news” – I’m still wondering how the phone incident will be dealt with because the trailer is such a tease. I think the “bad news” will be “we’re going to New York”, nothing to do with Matt.

17 gobsmacked { 07.06.11 at 11:07 pm }

who cares?

18 Anonymous { 12.19.11 at 5:50 pm }

He left before flying to New York. Billy was back before that and competed in another round and Peter was gone after that.

19 Ellen { 01.30.13 at 12:30 am }

I am truly thankful to the owner of this website who has shared this impressive
post at here.