Mat Beyer Kicked Off Masterchef – But What Happened?

The news limited papers broke the story this morning that Mat Beyer, Goth Melbourne food blogger, has been expelled from the Masterchef Australia for breaking the rules.

The Herald Sun reports:

VICTORIAN contestant Mat Beyer was booted off MasterChef Australia amid fears he might have been accessing recipes secretly.

Beyer, 24, was sent packing after MasterChef producers discovered that he had smuggled a smartphone into the hit Channel 10 cooking show.

Beyer was kicked out of MasterChef about a fortnight ago, within days of the contestants travelling to New York.

His breach of the show’s rules was discovered after a challenge where contestants’ cookbooks were all removed.

Beyer had reportedly had the smartphone for about six weeks.

Channel 10 refused to comment on his exit, and a spokesman for the show’s producers, Fremantlemedia Australia, said conjecture about a smartphone was just that.

There are so many issues here I don’t know where to start, but hopefully I can add to the story. I am not claiming I have all the information, but I am just trying to join the dots.

Firstly it is my understanding Mat did get to fly New York with seven other contestants, but was removed pretty quickly after arriving. One of the first things the Masterchef crew did do were have pork buns so I suspect he got to meet David Chang of Momofuku.

Now the challenge he allegedly cheated on could have occurred back in Australia, as the paper reports they had removed all the recipe books from the house, so it is unclear when the cheating allegations came to light, and how. However once he had to go through all the airport security is this when the mobile phone was discovered?

If so I wonder why he didn’t think of that logistical issue?

Anyway so if eight contestants flew over, and then he was dumped. There would have been one elimination challenge over there and then they would have been down to six contestants.

But then we have the Dalai Lama Masterchef challenge where it said in the Daily Telegraph there were seven contestants. So is this the challenge where the contestant is reinstated. And who the hell is it?

Normally in other shows where a person has had to leave, the last person to exit has been brought back in. So that would mean the person eliminated in NYC? But that might not make sense. Maybe they will have a challenge with the eliminated contestants to see who can be brought back in. Bring back Cleo I say. However a contestant that has had a big break from production comes in much fresher and this is not fair on the contestants still in.

Mat has been seen at the Melbourne Food and Wine Show, plus he is doing work experience at Steer Grill and Bar in Melbourne.

Mat does have similarities to season one bad boy Chris Badenoch. Chris had an iphone in the Masterchef house, which he used communicate with the outside world.  He would get people to research recipes for him.

It will be interesting to see if Channel Ten will let the media to talk to Mat after his expulsion.

Also here is an interesting blog post on the issue from Melbourne Food Blogger Essjay Eats she reckons Jay will be brought back in. (Possible spoiler)

1 bettwettiwoo { 06.15.11 at 3:17 pm }

Here’s my question: how on earth was PiercedBoy one of the last eight?

2 JaniceG { 06.15.11 at 3:25 pm }

It seems clear that he broke the rules by having the phone but I haven’t seen any clear reports that he used it to cheat.

I’ve seen a few people hoping that the returned contestant is Jay but I’m not one of them: he might have been one of the better cooks in his area of expertise but his blase dismissal of the necessity to learn how to cook desserts — even when prepping to win a show he knew would probably involve having to cook desserts at times — means that to me, he’s not the all-around cook who should win this type of competition.

3 Melanie Young { 06.15.11 at 3:26 pm }

it’s a can of worms! S’pose there are many reasons why a contestant may want secret phone to access some one in the outside world other than cheating with recipes. There seem to be so many recipe books in the house you’d wonder why they’d bother …..they may have a depressed girlfriend; or running some business; or have a net surfing addiction! Who knows?

4 littlepetal { 06.15.11 at 3:29 pm }

Maybe the Final 8 went to NY and there was a clean up at the apartment to remove all cookbooks and to get ready for their next challenge and they found the phone !!!!

Dalai Lama challenge was just a vegetarian lunch. Wouldn’t that be too easy a challenge for the Final 6 or 7? You may be right-could be a challenge to bring back one of the eliminated contestants.

Someone mentioned that Jay tweeted ‘ Mat what were you thinking!! Wish I was going back!!! Thus if there was a challenge for the eliminated contestants, you will think Jay will be one of them.

5 Injera { 06.15.11 at 3:31 pm }

Agree, Melanie! I liked the suggestion somebody else made on last night’s thread that he might have an Angry Birds dependency…

6 brain dead dave { 06.15.11 at 3:36 pm }

I suppose finding a grease clogged,scratched up smartphone under a pile of rotting clothes at Ma$terchef lodge is pretty incriminating.

7 Culinary Boner { 06.15.11 at 3:39 pm }

“Dalai Lama challenge was just a vegetarian lunch. Wouldn’t that be too easy a challenge for the Final 6 or 7?”

liitlepetal, not if they were expected to make an interesting 3-course meal featuring tofu in every dish

8 littlepetal { 06.15.11 at 3:47 pm }

Culinary Boner-Yes, it can be a difficult challenge. I’m only thinking of my vegetarian lunch which is only 1 dish-more like those that you get in the Chinese Temple !!!

9 Nic { 06.15.11 at 4:13 pm }

Just a little side note….i did hear I think on 7pm project that Mr Lama is vegan but will eat meat if it is served to him……what the??
Is Matt really replaced?? remember in the beginning it was clearly stated “there is no coming back” this seson whatsoever.
I dont have any strong feelings about Matt getting the boot….all that comes to mind is….get a hair cut & hell I love my iPhone :)

10 anonymice { 06.15.11 at 4:16 pm }

So that explains why Matt lasted so long in the competition. I couldn’t figure out why – it was the “smart”phone that helped him ride the wave for so long.

11 EH { 06.15.11 at 4:20 pm }

Jay tweeted it wasn’t him returning to the competition:

@jaymasterchef (Jay Huxley): @afoodstory wish it was me but it not!!!

12 littlepetal { 06.15.11 at 4:31 pm }

They said he has the phone for 6 weeks prior being found out. NY was around 20 May. Last night challenge on TV was filmed somewhere end of Mar. So…….. we should be seeing Mat rise to the occasion and cooking very well. Wonder he did any immunity pin challenge? and did he win one???

13 brain dead dave { 06.15.11 at 4:43 pm }

Matt Preston has pork buns everywhere he goes.

14 anonymice { 06.15.11 at 5:20 pm }

In hindsight, explains the excessive sweating – sheer nerves and anxiety while trying to hide the phone

15 brain dead dave { 06.15.11 at 5:40 pm }

Soon we’ll see Mat mysteriously “raising the bar”, “digging deep ” and “showing what this competition is all about”.

Mat may have innocently thought this was one of the shows where you can “phone a friend”.

16 wallah { 06.15.11 at 6:21 pm }

No wonder I haven’t been able to get my Protection Paladin as tank in Grim Batol…..Mat’s back.

17 Fides { 06.15.11 at 6:25 pm }

littlepetal – I so hope not!

But isn’t the dilemma also that the eps in which he is cheating are ready to go to air? So there will be a month of him possibly cheating and doing well, oblivious judges raving about him… they can’t really delete his scenes like that did the Biggest Loser contestant.

If Cleo was canned because they think she was technically cheating, I doubt she’d be brought back.

18 smauge { 06.15.11 at 6:43 pm }

Momofuku always sounds like a swear word to me.

19 littlepetal { 06.15.11 at 7:02 pm }

@Smauge It does. I bought the cookbook about 1 month ago. Hubby think it is a dirty word when I said I am cooking from Momofuku.

20 Melanie Young { 06.15.11 at 9:46 pm }

@anonymice he wasn’t found with kg’s of speed!

@JaniceG agree with you re Jay re refusal to learn the processes involved in sweet dishes, also reckon he had a formula re savoury protein dishes he could do by memory but not the imagination of an Adam Liaw.

21 littlepetal { 06.15.11 at 10:03 pm }

I also find Jay’s purpose in Masterchef is to create a name for himself. He is very good in certain dishes (copied from other chefs) His dishes doesn’t seem to say hey it’s my dish but more like I copied from someone else.

I think he is egoistic as well. Having a twitter account under jaymasterchef!! Please……

22 AnonyMousse { 06.15.11 at 10:13 pm }

Is that being egoistic, littlepetal, or just pragmatic? I’ve been on the internet since 1993, so I remember when I could use search sites and search on my real name, and only get back results on me (what can I say, I’ve always been curious about what people are saying about me). Now if I do the same thing, I get back results on hundreds if not thousands of people who share my name. Putting masterchef at the end of your name just makes it easier for people to find you out of the other thousand jays out there.

23 Mac { 06.16.11 at 1:27 am }

I seriously doubt Jay will return. He has being doing countless interviews and work experience in the past few weeks which means its obviously not him. Besides Jay would be an ineligible contestant if he returns since he has now received formal training outside of the show which makes it an unfair advantage if he returned. Also Jay is shithouse in desserts, don’t know why people keep saying he’s the best in the comp if he doesn’t know the basics. I think the most recent eliminated contestant will replace Matt.

24 smauge { 06.16.11 at 7:12 am }

Can’t remember who suggested it but I reckon a challenge of ousted contestants to see who returns. From what you’re saying about Jay only copying others recipes, I starting to wonder if HE smuggled a smart phone in.

25 littlepetal { 06.16.11 at 7:36 am }

@Smauge I don’t think Jay did that as he was really focus to ‘win’ the MC title and must have practised heaps with those dishes. Just like a student studying for exams-focus focus focus. Oops! Wrong show. This is not Amazing Race.

26 PollyB { 06.16.11 at 7:38 am }

Jay had been trying to get on MC for the past 2 seasons. He realised what it was all about. Not losing and getting a profile. Although he ‘lost’ MC he has the profile and is obviously now doing what he loves.

27 Thomas { 06.16.11 at 10:38 am }

Isn’t it usually the case where if something happens and one guy goes out the last eliminated person returns? Yeah surprised Mat lasted so long.

28 Fides { 06.16.11 at 11:28 am }

So Marion’s come out and spoken about some of the rules in the house. Wonder if Mat was actually caught cheating, or merely breaching the rules about having a phone… maybe so it doesn’t sound so draconian, they’ve hinted it was the accessing recipes, rather than having a phone which constituted cheating.

Agree that Jay is no more worthy than anyone else for getting called back – good point Mac about the professional training he has had in the meantime.

29 Thomas { 06.16.11 at 11:41 am }

Well how did he get a smartphone into the house, and why didn’t it turn up earlier? They do have camera crews in the place; those smartphones drain batteries at a crazy rate. Wouldn’t have been too hard to spot a charger.

30 Culinary Boner { 06.16.11 at 11:46 am }

Based on what I’ve seen so far this season the vast majority of ‘em can barely cook with a recipe anyway.

So perhaps they should just bring back the cookbooks and allow open slather on smartphones as it’s not gonna make any difference anyway.

Whilst in theory this access to recipes, menus and cooking tips should improve the quality of the cooking, the added distractions will only send the weaker contestants spiralling up their own backsides trying to interpret the info on their phones. This’d leave the likes of Kate to plough on and plate up.

31 Fides { 06.16.11 at 12:11 pm }

He probably smuggled them in his undies…next season they’ll be stripped searched and have metal detectors before being let into the house.

32 ExEssex { 06.16.11 at 12:35 pm }

I think Chris B spoilt the use of mobile phones for everyone. Is it just me or do those two look like they were seperated at birth?

33 Culinary Boner { 06.16.11 at 12:37 pm }

For those with Foxtel, TopChef Allstars has started and it’s a cracker line-up of contestants who just failed to get the big prize in previous seasons. Leaves MCA for dead in terms of cooking and perving – Padma and Gail for us blokes and that hairy bear Tom Colicchio for you chicks and gays out there.

34 Fides { 06.16.11 at 12:46 pm }

ExEssex – I thought Chris B and Mat could be a father/son combo…

35 Culinary Boner { 06.16.11 at 1:53 pm }

Fides
Rather than father & son, Chris B would probably dub Mat “mini-me”
Pigs head with ‘lasers’ anyone?

36 auds { 06.16.11 at 2:21 pm }

I cant wait to find out how they found it. What is this “angry birds” people keep talking about?

37 brain dead dave { 06.16.11 at 2:31 pm }

I think it’s a game people play on their mobiles but having never owned one can’t be sure.

Angry Boys I’m a fan of.

38 JaniceG { 06.16.11 at 3:50 pm }

@Thomas: The cameras might not be trained everywhere 24 hours a day. However, my question is: what about the other contestants? If he’d been using the phone, or charging it, surely at least one of them would have turned him in if they knew.

One possibility is that although he *had* the phone, he never actually used it and therefore it would not have been visible or needed charging. Another possibility is that it was just in his backpack or wherever and he forgot about it, although Marion’s claim that they go through all your stuff when you enter the house means that’s not entirely likely.

39 Oshada { 06.16.11 at 4:15 pm }

I never did like Mat, with his one t’d name and all.

40 AnonyMousse { 06.16.11 at 4:16 pm }

JaniceG – there’s been enough people eliminated that a couple of people might have rooms to themselves by now, so he might have escaped attention that way. That or he could only use it in a locked bathroom or some other semi-private nook of the building – it looks to be big enough to have a couple

41 Fides { 06.16.11 at 4:48 pm }

Mat shared a room with Alex, Jay and another eliminated guy (Seamus?) So exactly as AnonyMousse says – he’s had his own room for a while now. And even when he shared with Jay, the room was an appalling mess judging by the behind the scenes video tour of MC house on MC site. It wouldn’t surprise me if he’d manage to hide a charger and phone in there with Jay still there.

42 Culinary Boner { 06.16.11 at 4:50 pm }

The other possibility is that he was so dumb he asked the producers for an increase in his stipend so he could pay for his phone bill.

Here’s a tip Mat. Once caught you should have claimed you were either depressed (needed to contact someone for emotional support) or, better, still a phone sex addict (e.g. needed to look at Congressman Weiner’s…ah… weiner, or something along these lines*).

Then if they sacked ya for the latter you could them sue them for unfairly not providing you with a chick-bloke-whatever to shag like they’d dun for that Badenoch dude in season 1. If you claimed depression instead ya could argue that having Matt the Fat smirk at you and salivate whilst talking about crackling spooked you, as it brought back repressed memories of a past life in a pig herd. (The reincarnation theme here fits well with the Dalai Lama’s coming appearance).

* For research purposes only, of course.

43 Paul { 06.16.11 at 7:35 pm }

Reality shows tend to go permanently down hill after contestants are booted for cheating with only one or two seasons before being cut.

In their death throes, such reality shows tend to include attention seeking z list celebrities who crave publicity as much as the dying show.

Hence, I predict that he will be replaced with Kim Duthie – another Melbournian noted for overexposed sausages and mutterings of discontent from those who deem themselves superior.

44 Theo { 06.16.11 at 7:57 pm }

I was so shocked to hear of this news! I want Chelsea or Alex back.

45 -_mini_minaj_- { 06.20.11 at 8:56 pm }

Why the hell would you cheat on masterchef itz only cooking how hard is it 2 follo a fhukkin recipe or at least cook a bloodii vegetarian meal for the dali llama or however u spell it seriously MAT U N33D A FUCKING LIFE MAN!!!! And itz obvious tht he used the phone tp cheat not 4 sum angry birds addiction, tht game is stupid and useless what 20 sumthin yr old playes angry birds, my 2 yr old cuzinz do and they cnt b stuffed wit it afta 20 mins!!!!

46 paktrik { 06.21.11 at 9:17 pm }

my studyladder wa sthe worse

47 Something { 06.23.11 at 8:57 pm }

To Anonymice and any others who are missing a particular part of the brain, failing their ability to think: it has not been confirmed what the reason(s) for the phone was. It also doesn’t explain any of his behaviour -.- please learn to comprehend how life works and not straight up believe what the media says, or rumours.

48 Pollywaffle { 06.23.11 at 11:07 pm }

I hope Mat does get pinged just as he perfected goth broth

49 Bianca { 06.27.11 at 4:44 pm }

Well, in Masterchef they have limited time on the phone, so they don’t have time to ask for recipes, but only to catch up with their friends + family. I’ve heard that Mat has been making extra phone calls and, when the internet history was checked, they found recipe websites.
I wonder how they found out…?

50 Bianca { 06.27.11 at 4:46 pm }

And I agreee Theo- Chealsea back would be awesome.

51 littlepetal { 06.27.11 at 5:14 pm }

Others have a different story. They said they couldn’t find anything that indicated Mat cheated. Yes, he did have a phone and that is against the rules. Whether he was cheating or not, we never know.

52 renny '"poshreany'" { 07.01.11 at 9:25 am }

mat was a really good cook and even if he was “cheating” i believe he could have went far without cheating!

53 Bernie { 07.03.11 at 1:18 pm }

I too was shocked to hear that Mat was booted off Masterchef, but I suppose rules are rules and if you break them, then you have to suffer the consquences. I hope that either Jay or Kumar will get re-enstated as I think that they deserve it more than the others who were eliminated and besides I would like to see a bloke win Masterchef anyway.

54 AngelSN86 { 07.03.11 at 6:10 pm }

The Daily Telegraph is now reporting that Matt could end up coming back. I hope he doesn’t.

55 Severus Snape { 07.03.11 at 9:06 pm }

I think they should bring back someone who got eliminated on the back of a team challenge, Craig maybe or Kumar. People who got eliminated because of individual challenges did so because it was their own fault. I seriously hope it’s not Jay, he is arrogant and doesn’t have the skills to back it up.

56 Melanie Young { 07.03.11 at 9:48 pm }

my hypothesis after viewing tonight’s episode = If Matt went to New York (episodes showing next wee) he must survive the elimination challenge tomorrow night. That means a shock exit in tomorrow night’s episode of one of the 2 best cooks in the competition – Billy or Hayden. I’d bring back either Billy or Hayden over other competitors. They’re both likeable characters and can cook.

57 littlepetal { 07.03.11 at 9:57 pm }

It does look like Billy is going home. Promo shows Hayden is in trouble which means Hayden is safe.

58 JaniceG { 07.03.11 at 10:27 pm }

Glad I have witnesses that I thought Hayden should have saved his immunity pin for when he might be up against fewer people! I don’t know that the promo was that clear about whether it’s Billy or Hayden, though: it’s true that mostly they like rising from the promo disaster as a surprise but not always.

59 §ØNÎÇ { 07.04.11 at 8:14 pm }

Screw masterchef ,frickin cockbags!! i swear he didnt cheat or anything like that.

60 Monty { 07.04.11 at 8:34 pm }

What a joke, he should never have been anywhere near the top 10 let alone top 8!

61 Maroon { 07.04.11 at 9:49 pm }

I would love to see Kumar or Billy return. They were both bright and calm and great cooks. I loved both of them.

62 Masterchef Australia – Billy’s Gone But Will He Be Back? | reality ravings { 07.04.11 at 10:08 pm }

[...] Also there goes my theory that Mat got to New York meets David Chang and then was flown back home in disgrace. (See previous blog post on that here). [...]

63 Tracey { 07.05.11 at 2:05 am }

I can’t believe someone is so attached to their iphone that they would risk losing something that they claim is so important to them. Surely if being on Masterchef was that important to Mat he wouldn’t have risked it over a dumb phone! What a knob.

64 smauge { 07.05.11 at 7:23 am }

From what I understand, He was waiting oon an important phone call/message and so he kept the phone. If that’s the case, he should have told the producers and I’m sure they would have made provisions.
He made a mistake and has been hauled through the coals for it. Anyone else on here made a mistake? Hindsight is a great thing. I’m sure he’d love to relive that day.
I feel so sad for him. I think he has some talent and I was really hoping he’d do well. Now everytime I see him on screen my heart sinks. I can’t wait until Wednesday just so it can finally end for him on the show. :(

65 Drew { 07.05.11 at 4:15 pm }

I’m of the hardline approach. It’s against the rules, end of story. I don’t think he deserves the apologism or bleeding hearts.

66 youngmel { 07.05.11 at 6:02 pm }

wednesday’s preview involves Matt Preston visiting the house to deliver some “bad news” – I’m still wondering how the phone incident will be dealt with because the trailer is such a tease. I think the “bad news” will be “we’re going to New York”, nothing to do with Matt.

67 gobsmacked { 07.06.11 at 11:07 pm }

who cares?

68 Anonymous { 12.19.11 at 5:50 pm }

He left before flying to New York. Billy was back before that and competed in another round and Peter was gone after that.

69 Ellen { 01.30.13 at 12:30 am }

I am truly thankful to the owner of this website who has shared this impressive
post at here.