Masterchef Australia

With David Chang appearing on Sunday night’s episode, this probably means my prediction of him appearing in the New York episodes was wrong.

In other issues not really related to cooking in this episode, what was the purpose of Shannon’s boyfriend wearing a beanie inside of the house. He had a t-shirt on so he must not have been cold. I am presuming he is not a cancer victim as this would have been raised at some point by Shannon herself.

It also depressed me when she said “I feel I have done more living here then I have done in my entire life.” She really needs to get out a bit more.

It was an interesting elimination challenge tonight broken down into three parts.

The first part of the elimination was to use three ingredients to make a dish in 15 minutes. However it appeared seasoning and oil were not included in those three. As Ellie made salt and pepper octopus with mayonnaise.

Michael made Pan fried Coral sauce verige, – George thought the sauces balance was a little bit off.

Ellie – Salt and pepper octopus with mayonnaise – excellent texture of mayo said Matt

Craig – Pan seared scallops with chorizo and apple – he was criticised because of the apple as it was grated the juice leaked out of it and it was not crunchy.

Danielle – pureed sweet corn with scallops with crumbled proscuitto – loved it.

Billy – Rockmelon, Proscuitto and gorgonzola salad – George loved the flavour.

Shannon – Grilled prawns with saffron infused honey – “Need to leech  the saffron in water first before putting into the honey,” said George.

Dani’s mussels were so bad she was told immediately to prepare herself for the next round.

Billy, Ellie and Danielle were safe because they had the best dishes.

The second round was cooking in 15 minutes with six ingredients.

People cooking in penalty round were Michael, Dani, Shannon, and Craig.

Craig made a vinegarette and cooked it and when he poured it over the orange and fennel salad it discoloured it.  On the plus side his salmon was cooked perfectly. He was criticised for having dirt on the watercress.

Dani made son-in-law eggs. – eggs cooked perfectly but too much acidity said Matt Preston.

Shannon made scallops with fennel and orange – “a lot of raw garlic,” said George.

Michael’s Seared Tuna with a coriander dressing was loved by the judges.

Shannon and Craig went head to head in the final round.

They could use nine ingredients but cook the dish in 15 minutes

Shannon made french toast with figs and an orange caramel sauce, and Craig made a prawn thai curry.

Shannon was a disaster burning her pistachios and her sauce was too thick.

It was no surprise that Shannon was eliminated as her cooking was not consistent.

I was surprised when she revealed she spent three years trying to get on the show. Had we been told this before?

1 Chunks { 06.17.11 at 1:19 am }

Three years trying to get onto the show but hadn’t bothered to learn to cook? Fail. I think that says a lot about why this year’s competitors are so drab in the culinary stakes. They are the also-also-rans. Not an Adam or Alvin or Marion or Johnno or even a Callum among them yet. Can we expect to see Shannon trying out for Australia’s Got Talent next?

2 JaniceG { 06.17.11 at 6:07 am }

Ding dong the witch is dead! Finally, one of the worst cooks in the competition doesn’t manage to escape yet another elimination. I was really worried when Matt P used the phrase “restaurant quality” but luckily her sauce sucked and that outweighed Craig’s brain fart of not making rice even though apparently he had thought of doing so but didn’t.

I was surprised that Craig was sent to the second round – grating his apple didn’t seem to me to be a heinous crime. I personally would have sent Billy through: no one seemed to have noticed that he didn’t actually *cook* anything!

I think you’re right that we haven’t heard that Shannon spent a lot of time preparing to go on MC. What surprised me even more, though, was her homecoming: I don’t remember another where absolutely no one was there except the contestant’s partner. Seemed very sad to me… but not sad enough for me to regret that she’s gone!

3 PollyB { 06.17.11 at 6:51 am }

How many ingredients did Ellie use? Doesn’t mayonnaise have more than 2 ingredients?

4 scruffnkelsmum { 06.17.11 at 7:01 am }

andrew only had his partner, and his very cute cat…

5 littlepetal { 06.17.11 at 7:13 am }

Shannon now said she wasted 3 years because she got eliminated. In 3 years, she still have not learn to cook better. She wanted to open a patisserie, why don’t she start her apprenticeship 3 years ago. By now she would have almost finish her apprenticeship. My guess is that people think that by winning MC will mean they don’t have to do the hard work and can be a chef. Laugh when George commented about the saffron not soaked before she used it in her dish and she said she did that all the time but now sure why she didn’t do it this time.

Looking forward to Sunday night. Did anyone notice that Mat put his hand up when asked has anybody cooked Korean dishes before? I want Mat to win the challenge and go into the immunity pin challenge.

6 AnonyMousse { 06.17.11 at 7:25 am }

Well, at least she’s seeking an apprenticeship now (according to the summary at the end of the episode).

Good to see an elimination challenge actually eliminate one of the notably bad cooks for once. Thanks to the Mat scandal we know they didn’t manage to get rid of all the bad ones in the next few weeks (seriously, he stuffed up quite a few dishes and hasn’t had any standouts that I recall. Kumar’s at least had his hand in several praised dishes in team challenges – unlike Mat, Kumar’s probably one of those cooks who are a great cook when working to directions but not so great when having to think on his feet).

At least this 3 stage contest is a much fairer way of seperating the dross out then the one stage competitions are (or worse yet, those taste tests which they’ve thankfully gotten rid of), where even the good cooks can have a bad day and get thrown out.

7 Jess { 06.17.11 at 7:26 am }

I was thinking the same thing about Billy’s dish. It reminded me of Seamus’s “sashimi” elimination dish, where all he did was…cut up three bits of fish and put it on a plate. But then I went back to look at it, and Billy actually did cook the melon in a pan, and seasoned the dish. I guess that counts as something.

Mayonnaise does have more than two ingredients; but oil and salt/pepper were freebies in this challenge. I guess her three pantry items were the baby octopus, eggs and an acid of some sort.

8 librarygirl { 06.17.11 at 8:05 am }

I get annoyed with these contestants who whinge about being eliminated after many weeks in the competition. Chelsea, Tom and Alex and co. went so many weeks ago we barely remember them.
Gratitude for the experience- despite not winning – would be nice for a change!

9 NT Kate { 06.17.11 at 8:40 am }

Hmm, I actually liked the concept behind Billy’s dish – a smart way of upgrading a standard combination (melon and proscuitto) – one of the few so far I might try to make myself.

And how much ‘cooking’ can they really be expected to do in 15 minutes anyway!

10 Crabtech { 06.17.11 at 8:44 am }

George has new restaurant. Not sure I would go there though.

11 Crabtech { 06.17.11 at 8:47 am }

Felt sorry for shanon but glad she’s gone. Her voice drove me crazy. Hope she finishes her apprenticeship. Is she one of the few to go down this path.

12 EH { 06.17.11 at 8:57 am }

I hope Sun is next.

13 Fides { 06.17.11 at 9:32 am }

It’s so hard watching these delusional contestants. While the rest of us wonder how she lasted this long, Shannon is surprised she’s leaving the competition so early – did she really think she was top 10 or final week material? And it doesn’t help when the judges talk about how “here stand seven of the best cooks in the competition blah blah blah”. Though I guess it’s better than calling them seven of the best amata cooks in Australia.

Can anyone tell me why Dani put little holes in her eggs before she boiled them? I think that is what she did. Is that a Thai egg cooking thing?

14 Maz { 06.17.11 at 9:36 am }

Thought it was odd too, the sudden revelation that Shannon’s passion for food had been sparked by the Masterchef audition ad three years ago.

Wish Geo would stop the ‘how much you want to be here?’ question knowing full well which contestant the producers have earmarked for elimination. Lets be brutal, Shannon did not stand a chance against Ellie in an elimination challenge and it has nothing to do with cooking ability.

Judging by the roster in the background when Craig came back this was filmed around March 14. Yep, its a sad indictment of this season when the background is more interesting.

15 TMC { 06.17.11 at 9:42 am }

NT Kate- If I was on the show i would plonk down a set of salt and pepper next to the judges and tell them to salt to taste themselves you motherfuckers, hope you are feeling your arteries harden as you eat you bunch of slop guts’.

16 Chelsea { 06.17.11 at 9:48 am }

I agree – Shannon was the most depressing contestant… what a pathetic creature. If you love cooking so much and have been trying to get on the show for three years, why are you still a receptionist? And the part where she said she had done more living on MC, than in her entire life depressed me even more. What a sad woman!

17 kingfisher { 06.17.11 at 9:58 am }

hohumm boring snoresville another boring amata cook gone when is someone gonna stand up and go wow!!! the top ten from last year would win this year ……. snzzzzzz sorry nodded off thinking about last night yawn i better have a nana nap now seeing that ” i’m so great “gary and “boom shack the room” george are having there big ego night tonight . feeling sleepy night all .

18 Emma { 06.17.11 at 10:06 am }

By NT Kate: “I do worry every time someone gets told off for not using enough salt though – the rest of the world (contestants included) has trained itself to use less salt, in accordance with heart guidelines. The judges on the other hand…”

I totally agree, in fact I thought this last night. It’s like MC still lives in 1970s world where everyone freely eats cream, butter, salt and sugar. I’m no food nazi, being healthy yet still enjoying my food but I would find it very difficult to cook food like this.

I felt for Shannon last night – we all want to get out of our lives sometimes. From what I’ve read she has an apprenticeship at Absinthe on GC though?? I hope she does well and is happy!

I’m not sure why Craig had to go through to another challenge because of the allegedly soggy grated apple???!!! So rigged. Ellie always gets through no matter what … surprise surprise.

19 ArtAttack { 06.17.11 at 10:33 am }

Fides, putting the hole in one end of the egg before boiling makes them A LOT easier to peel. Having a (clean) thumbtack set aside for the purpose makes it nice and easy, too.

Agree, agree, agree with all the comments about salt.

20 Suziekue { 06.17.11 at 10:35 am }

@Fides – Putting a small hole in the blunt end of an egg stops the shell from cracking when it is placed in boiling water. I use one of those corkboard pins with the plastic coloured bit on one end to make it easier. It doesn’t have to be a big hole – just enough to let the pressure out of the egg when the water boils.

21 Angei { 06.17.11 at 10:49 am }

I am quite glad that Shannon went home – she has been consistently been underperforming. Was a bit annoyed to read to read her sob story blaming her eviction on coming from a poor background. Suck it up, we all have had blows in life. Thought Dani’s egg dish looked great – might have a crack at it myself!

22 kingfisher { 06.17.11 at 11:04 am }

i agree with you emma regarding ellie getting through didn’t george say some of her octopus was overcooked . isn’t that the hero the of dish yet craig’s apple not as juicy due to being grated. now you have perfectly cooked scallops or a mish mash cooked octopus hmmm me thinks there is a conspiracy going on . again i brought this up a couple of weeks ago regarding items that are left to burn and “on no my stuff has burnt to a crisp” , but only cheap items are allow to burn ,nothing expensive , so what happens last night some prociuto ( i can’t spell this word ) and sugared pistachios are burnt , get my drift ?? do you producers think we are stupid ,we at home are thinking ” oh know what is going to happen , the goes there meal ” and low and behold they somehow save the day and just happen to have another batch close . phew, we think that was close !!

23 akris { 06.17.11 at 11:05 am }

Ellie and Sun next to go please!!!

Maybe that’s why Shannon and her friend (andrew?) were good friends in the house… they don’t like much company??

Don’t understand why people always mention Callum as one of the top from last year… He did a few good desserts but nothing that great except maybe the macaroons he made.. i think Billy seems to be a better dessert person.. with the exception of the Bomb Alaska his desserts always look so yummy! Plus he can do savoury too.

There are definitely some good cooks this year… but alot of major bad ones.. it’s just a shame a lot of the crap cooks seem to be going through while the bad ones get knocked out over dodgy challenges or just bad judgement.

24 Miss Piggy (MelbaToast) { 06.17.11 at 11:21 am }

I actually quite liked Shannon – she knew she was a gumby and she played on it. Quite amusing at times. I really don’t care who leaves the show as I basically think they are all as drool as each other….yawn!

25 Fides { 06.17.11 at 11:24 am }

Thanks ArtAttack and suziekue – appreciate it! I wondered how Dani got such lovely smooth eggs without the little pockmarks. I’ll have to try it.

I do think the grated apple would have spoiled Craig’s dish and made it unpleasantly wet and soggy underneath, but whether it would have overshadowed other perfectly cooked alaments, I dunno. Though I almost suspect Ellie would have gotten through if she’d made Vegemite on toast – no doubt George would have raved about perfectly cooked toast, and for once, Matt would not complain about something being too Vegemitey.

26 Paul { 06.17.11 at 12:00 pm }

People just can’t get up and quit their jobs to start a cooking apprenticeship. For one both the pay and hours are terrible and may not suit their current lifestyle and or current financial position.

Contestants have mortgages to pay off and dependants to take care of. They may also have their own businesses in which their employees are dependant on them.

The only way you could possibly go back to doing an apprenticeship would be:
a) you have no mortgage or rent to speak of.
b) you have no dependants.
c) you are financial enough to cope with a dramatic drop in income for the next 5-10 years.

Its shockingly simplistic to suggest to just ‘go and get a cooking apprenticeship’.

Real life doesn’t work that way.

27 littlepetal { 06.17.11 at 12:07 pm }

Shannon exit interview with news.ninemsn,com.au

She mentioned that she was disadvantaged because she came from a poor background and had not travelled much or experienced high-end cuisine.

She also said she had to try to make up for her lack of travel by reading cookbooks about different countries’ cuisines in between filming the reality show.

What has she been doing for 3 years? Can’t she get cookbooks from libraries to learn about the different cuisines. What about watching some cooking programs?

Also travelling overseas doesn’t mean you can afford those high-end cuisines. I can’t afford to go to Fat Duck.

She is a very delusional as someone mentioned. She was shock that she got eliminated so early. Does she think she could win and by winning she can be a pastry chef?

28 littlepetal { 06.17.11 at 12:09 pm }

But Paul, her circumstances hasn’t change and she is doing the apprenticeship now. So why now?

29 Emma { 06.17.11 at 12:20 pm }

I don’t think people would be on there if they didn’t hope or think they might win, otherwise you wouldn’t bother. It might seem unrealistic to people watching but for the person in there, it’s very real.

Shannon might have been given the apprenticeship because she was on MC or maybe it just gave her the mental push she needed. Who knows? There’s so much we don’t know just watching bits and pieces of heavily manipulated viewing.

Paul’s right – apprenticeships are for young people generally. I mean I wouldn’t do one in my 30s, I’ve been there, done that with the difficult yet low paid jobs in my late teens and early 20s. Kudos to anyone who does! You would have to really want it though.

30 Chunks { 06.17.11 at 12:27 pm }

Paul? But they can get up and give up their jobs for eight months for a one in 24 chance of winning $100,000, which doesn’t buy one quarter of a house these days? Okay, you may also be lucky and get a lot more out of it if you can actually cook or have a winning personality (so much for this year’s crop) but to be honest I think it’s irresponsible and selfish to even entertain the idea if you have young children.

31 littlepetal { 06.17.11 at 12:29 pm }

Every year we hear the same comment : Masterchef make us fat etc.

This time they are blaming MC for increasing obesity rates !!!!

Accredited nutritionist Catherine Saxelby, of the Foodwatch Nutrition Centre and member of the Nutrition Society of Australia, said heart disease, cholesterol levels and high blood pressure are all results of following a MasterChef-style diet.

When has MC is a diet? Who can afford to cook those dishes everyday?

They always blame other for the obesity problems but not blame the obese people themselves. Have a look at what they eat. Many will tell you they eat not much, eat healthily blah blah blah. They got fat without cooking MC dishes.

32 Paul { 06.17.11 at 12:36 pm }

Chunks,
They do get a living allowance whilst they are in MC which would be a hell of a lot more than an apprentice chef’s wage.

But like you, I couldn’t contemplate being away from my children for that amount of time.

33 Ralphie { 06.17.11 at 12:39 pm }

Shannon should have gone a long time ago. At least now we do not have endure that over exposed cleavage which was gross and her running around the kitchen with everything wobbling.
How on earth could she see what she was cooking with horrific fringe of hair falling over her face. And the way she spoke – it was like a three year old talking and the boyfriend did not seem much better.
She should lose some weight before doing anymore cooking. It really puts me off when I watch grossly overweight people cook on these shows – all the more reason not to cook their food or buy their cookbook, if they get that far.

34 davsimp { 06.17.11 at 12:40 pm }

Ralphie: “At least now we do not have endure that over exposed cleavage which was gross and her running around the kitchen with everything wobbling” but Danielle is still in there.

35 Ralphie { 06.17.11 at 12:56 pm }

Yes, Davsimp I agree and should have mentioned Danielle. At least with Shannon gone, I now know who Danielle is as they both looked the same. They could have been twins, coming from the same morbidly obese parents. One thing different though, she has her hair off her face and covers her boobs a bit more discreetly.

36 Fides { 06.17.11 at 1:28 pm }

Ralphie – looking at the highlights of Shannon’s time in MC, I actually thought she’d lost weight (her face is looking much rounder in the early/Top 50 challenges) – maybe Arena did some work with her in the house …totally kidding there, but if they did ever make a BL/MC fusion show, I reckon Arena and Michelle Bridges would star.

37 brain dead dave { 06.17.11 at 2:14 pm }

Sorry to all for the bum steer about Ellie and Dani being the potential eliminees last night. Completely sucked in by the teaser shown.

38 JaniceG { 06.17.11 at 2:43 pm }

@kingfisher – Thanks for reminding me about the other thing I meant to mention: The Burning of the Proscuitto. She had three, count them, *three* ingredients to worry about and even after smelling something burning, she shook her frying pans on the stove in case something was burning there but somehow didn’t remember she put one of her three ingredients in the oven?????

39 EH { 06.17.11 at 3:30 pm }

@ JaniceG, Danielle burnt the prosciutto, not Shannon.

40 brain dead dave { 06.17.11 at 3:36 pm }

Hard to tell those gels apart…it’s like they’re cut from the same sloth.

41 JaniceG { 06.17.11 at 3:51 pm }

@EH: I didn’t say it was Shannon. I was referring back to kingfisher’s post – I thought he’d mentioned it was Danielle, but I see now that he didn’t.

42 Thomas { 06.17.11 at 7:47 pm }
43 seepi { 06.17.11 at 9:45 pm }

The fact that Shanon and Danielle were fairly similar in looks makes me think they dind’t get a lot of good applicants to choose from. They normally try to avoid such similar people.

44 littlepetal { 06.17.11 at 10:14 pm }

Didn’t they say they have 7000 applicants?

45 Crabtech { 06.17.11 at 11:39 pm }

I read they get $500 a week while they are in the house.