Masterchef – Chang Challenge

Last week we had Heston seeing off Rachel and Shannon seeing her elimination as an opportunity to do what she set out to do, which – if I’m not mistaken – was devoting three years to getting on Masterchef. Que sera sera… But that’s all in the past. Tonight! Prepare for David Chang and some people looking clueless about Asian ingredients.

Credits: Ellie’s clumsy collapsing of the apple pile makes me hope even more fervently that she doesn’t go back to nursing.

Alana’s hoping to get to the front of the pack this week. This tells me that she’s a risk of facing elimination by the end of the episode. Peter reminds us that they all want to be there, and Hayden says he doesn’t know what’s in store. Clearly he has the short-term memory problem that the producers think we have.

George tells us that Ellie is un-able to compete because she’s sick, so she will have to go straight through to the pressure challenge.

Tonight’s challenge, Gary tells us, is a mystery box.  A mystery box, “with a theme”.  So it’s like – gasp! – a mystery box and an invention test all in one.  Like, if you will, an “Invention Box Challenge”!   Dani laughs uproariously at this, but she is the only person besides Gary who seems to think that this is at all witty. Matt stands looking imperious with his hand in his pocket.

Contestants will be cooking with one of three core ingredients – beef, pork and mackerel. The pot in front of each contestant contains their core ingredient. This news prompts Matt to take his hand out of his pocket and strike a Napoleonic pose.  All the better to deliver the news about the challenge designer:

“Opening a restaurant in Sydney… numerous restaurants in Manhattan…”  Contestant Mat knows who the mystery chef is before Preston finishes his sentence. I suspect Peter still might not know who he is.  Yes, it’s David Chang and he is here to tell us about Korean food, as Preston is convinced none of us know what it is. Well, he’s probably right about most of the contestants. Mat is the only one who admits to having cooked with Korean ingredients, which Chang thinks is a courageous admission.

Cooking – 75 minutes

• Danielle – braised tofu in a spicy sauce with crispy beef and perilla roll-ups.
  • Mat – marinated beef and rice, with a Korean inspired carpaccio.
  • Michael – is lost.
  • Dani – a Korean rice burger. She seems to think this is a wacky idea but the crappy food court at Melbourne Central had a Korean rice burger joint a few years ago.
  • Adam – doesn’t know what 95% of the ingredients are. The fireball clearly knocked some sense into him, as he comes back after the ad break making steamed mackerel on a bed of cabbage with fried tofu.
  • Peter – is making a plan. He’s making sushi, yakitori skewers and perilla roll-ups. Hang about… what’s with the perilla roll-up trend? He’s also doing a stir-fry of beef and tofu. Seems like he’s throwing everything around, hoping that something will stick.
  • Alana – doesn’t know how mackerel is supposed to be cooked, so will grill it and serve it with some sides.
  • Hayden – is talking in management-speak, taking Chang’s advice “on board”. He’s doing soup, beef, rice balls with perilla.

Dani is still pretending that she’s invented the rice burger idea. She’s making me angry. Gary’s totally buying her schtick, too. Mat is marinating beef and Michael is preparing his fish two-ways, hoping one will be palatable, I suspect.

“Holy mackerel, who’s got themselves in a pickle?” bellows George. He’s also making me angry.

Mat gets his hero moment with David Chang, which is good, since it seemed before the break that we were just going to get the deer-in-the-headlights edit. Adam gets advice from Chang and decides to ignore it.  I believe Kumar, Sun, Billy, Craig and Kate are still in the competition, although I have no evidence to back this up.

Danielle adds more sauce to her dish “because the judges love sauce”. She forgets that the judges also like you to taste your sauces before adding them and realises that it’s now too salty. This could end up working in her favour as she seems to have forgotten that the judges are obsessed with salt.

Prior to tasting, George tells our contestants that every single one has risen to the challenge. I guess there’s no bottom three tonight, then.

We see Dani’s rice burger just before the break as she giggles to herself that she might be insane. The people at Mos Burger probably agree. I’m looking forward to Dani “inventing” something wacky with a frankfurt and… a ROLL! Maybe she’ll call it a hot-dog! I wonder what she could come up with given some potatoes, a peeler and a deep fryer?  Maybe she’d be inspired by an idea to cut them into thin straws and then deep fry them!  She would probably think that the resulting deliciousness might be something French people would like.  French people.  Fried potato.  French. Fried.  French fries!  She’s a GENIUS.

Tasting

• Peter – he’s done a LOT in 75 minutes, it seems. There’s a ridiculous “pew-pew!” sound effect that is making it impossible for me to focus on anything Preston is saying. Chang thinks he’s done a fantastic job. George has an opinion, but I don’t give a rat’s.
  • Danielle – she tells Gary that it’s too salty. Silly, silly person. Gary has a taste followed by some panto staggering and water-swigging.
  • Dani – still thinks it’s her idea. She is insufferable. Chang likes it when people go for broke. Clearly he also likes it when people unashamedly rip off fast food chains.
  • Michael – mackerel is dry. He coulda been a contenda. George expects more.
  • Hayden – Preston likes the whole feel of the dish. Chang’s a fan.
  • Alana – Gary is disappointed with the fish and ambiguous about the presentation.
  • Adam – Preston does a double take when he tastes. He tells Adam that he should have listened to Chang’s advice.
  • Mat – Chang reassures Mat that there is such a thing as Korean carpaccio, and says he likes Mat’s version. Preston thinks the braised beef is as “boring as a 24 page double-glazing manual”. How… specific. The carpaccio is the best thing he’s tasted from Mat.

Judging

Top three:

• Dani, with her totally ripped off Mos Burger. She still thinks she took a risk. This show might be half interesting if the judges had a clue.
  • Hayden
  • Peter

The winner is… Hayden. He wants another immunity pin, so hopefully his challenger tomorrow will be the work experience kid from the staff canteen.

Mat, Dani, Peter and Hayden are allowed to go.

Bottom three: Kumar, Billy and Kate.

Ha! Wouldn’t that be hilarious…

Bottom three (actual):

• Danielle
  • Michael
  • Adam

Gary’s advice is to pull out all the stops. I hope there are some cliche books in the Masterchef house, because they will be handier than cookbooks at this stage. I wonder whether Adam smuggled a lotus root out to use as a loofah…

1 Gabriel { 06.19.11 at 9:22 pm }

Great recap. Lots of things about the show right now fully getting on my nerves – Dani being just one of them. My mum and I spend every episode yelling “Fuck. Off.” and “Shut up, George.” at the TV. Why couldn’t we have had less bullshit and perhaps seen what Sun, Kumar et al cooked? Or is that too radical an idea for a show about cooking?

2 Eatnik { 06.19.11 at 9:23 pm }

My favourite part of the episode: Chang being as bamboozled as me by the surfie dude’s ability to cook.

Nice round up Injera :)

3 anonymice { 06.19.11 at 9:51 pm }

Once again, they spoilt the result by only showing us the tasting for those who are in top 3 or bottom 3.

Mat – off course he knew that it was David Chang and how to cook Korean food – his smart phone told him. And the “italian/korean” carpaccio where he tried convincing us that he was “winging” it and didn’t know it even existed in Korean food (when if fact it did) please…. can’t believe him now.

4 AnonyMousse { 06.19.11 at 9:55 pm }

Surprisingly wise words of wisdom from Dani tonight with the ‘Hayden may look like a dopey surfer but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t know how to cook’ line (or however she said it). The other contestants will probably strangle him in his sleep if he’s facing another easy immunity challenge.

5 SaintsDeano { 06.19.11 at 9:58 pm }

What “bombshell” is being dropped tomorrow night? The editing shows Danielle crying. Is she getting eliminated? Or clever editing to build the suspense.

6 EH { 06.19.11 at 9:58 pm }

Nice one, Injera. Totally couldn’t stand Dani ripping off Mos burger! Shocked that the judges had no clue about it (or pretend to be).

7 Injera { 06.19.11 at 9:58 pm }

Gabriel – we are also swearing at the TV. Unbelievable. I’ve realised that Masterchef is not about cooking at all, but I still haven’t worked out what it is about (or why I watch it).

Eatnik – I think Hayden is as surprised as everyone!

Anonymice – Exactly. The whole show should come with a gigantic “spoiler alert” at the beginning. I have to say, I’ve met Mat a couple of times and he is a HUGE David Chang fan – there’s no way he would have had any additional inspiration apart from just wanting to cook his bollocks off for the Chang-meister. I think it’s really important to keep in mind that he had a phone – the media malarkey around it has been very carefully worded about that… I have a feeling if there was evidence of cheating it would have been splashed all over the meeja by now.

AnonyMousse – You’re right, it seems that the other contestants really do rate him. Maybe the we would, too, if the producers didn’t seem to be determined to set him up in what seem to be simpler challenges. Weird, isn’t it?

SaintsDeano – I didn’t see the preview… Hmmm

EH – We were both SCREAMING at the TV everytime Dani was smug about her “invention”. Grrr.

8 AnonyMousse { 06.19.11 at 10:02 pm }

Tomorrow’s bombshell:
George: ‘We decided to not waste all of your time by asking your reasons why you still want to be in the competition, so we’ll just skip right to the decision.’
Danielle(bursts into tears): ‘But I wanted to tell you about how my dead hamster gave me the motivation to apply for this show. I just know that Scruffums would be looking down at me from pet heaven now, proud of my making it this far. sob.’

9 SaintsDeano { 06.19.11 at 10:10 pm }

My tip is Cleo will come back when Mat gets booted. Having a smart phone. Is Mat a cheat or plain stupid? Cleo deserves a 2nd chance.

10 seepi { 06.19.11 at 10:18 pm }

Did they show any more about ellie? I was really confused when they showed 4 competing in th preview at the end – I missed the start and thought it was a mistake.

how do they know she will be well enough to compete tomorrow.
wierd.

11 AnonyMousse { 06.19.11 at 10:21 pm }

seepi – she was too sick to attend filming today, so she’s automatically into the elimination round tomorrow. And by tomorrow, I mean 3 or 4 days by Masterchef time, going by how healthy she looked in the promo.

12 Fides { 06.19.11 at 10:22 pm }

Hilarious recap Injera! I liked your alternate bottom 3. And I also hate the pew pew sound effect (I call it the space invaders music) – it was really distracting tonight.

It annoyed me why they had to have 3 core ingredients. If Korean was such a mystery to everyone already, why complicate it with three different core ingredients?! It’s been a long time since there’s been a regular Sunday night when everyone cooks with the same thing… And no surprise that 3 of the 4 worst performers had the fish – it looked ghastly (I am not a fish person) and if they were already struggling with Korean flavours, not knowing how best to cook the fish wouldn’t have helped.

Hayden is no dummy. Though I don’t find his comments particularly perceptive or articulate, he’s shown himself to pretty cluey. He’s my new favourite, though I can’t remember who my old favourite was… And who he’ll be helping tomorrow night? His bro or his girl?

Agree with other comments about Mat – I can’t watch him without thinking “cheater, cheater cheater.”

13 littlepetal { 06.19.11 at 10:23 pm }

Firstly, if you have a look at the coming immunity pin challenge (TV guide) you will think Hayden has it in the bag. Unless there is some other bits not mention in the guide.

I think Channel Ten gave it away. I may be wrong. Possible spoiler!!!
On the official website, when you put the cursor on Danielle’s photo, nothing pop up. The others are either Top 24 or Eliminated. My guess is she is going to be eliminated. I also have other info that make me think Adam and Michael are safe. Ellie will be o.k with recipes.

14 Oshada { 06.19.11 at 11:00 pm }

I scratched around on my computer for about 5 minutes, trying to find where the noise was coming. Bloody Masterchef sound editing!

15 Alyssa { 06.19.11 at 11:05 pm }

Dani got my blood boiling tonight, her being all smug about being so ‘crazy’ and ‘inventive’. Really, Dani you’re such a genius for replacing bread with rice, no one’s ever thought of that before. Like others have said, Mos burger. Seriously even McDonald’s serves up rice burgers in all parts of Asia.

Dani should’ve been in the bottom three for spending 75 minutes to cook rice, pork pattie and mixing a couple sauces together.

16 Chunks { 06.19.11 at 11:06 pm }

To be fair it did look like Hayden thoroughly deserved his win. Be interesting to see whether they actually provide him with a challenge this time or another free pass against an apprentice with no recipe. A bit sorry if Danielle is going. There are plenty more dud that deserve to go before her.

17 AnonyMousse { 06.19.11 at 11:15 pm }

Gary: ‘Hayden, you’ll need to cook this dish of scrambled eggs and toast. You have 1 hour. Guest chef, you will need to cook the same dish while stuck in this cramped cage with a half-starved, man-eating Grizzly bear.’

(Bear snarls in background)

18 Mac { 06.19.11 at 11:18 pm }

I love Dani, hope she makes it to the top 10. Problem?

19 scruffnkelsmum { 06.19.11 at 11:24 pm }

& ‘scuse me, what the f*ck was tonite- the free promo for Mat show??? Yeah, yeah they had already shot this episode, but you can’t tell me they couldn’t have edited some of the slimeball’s cr@p out????? seriously!!!!! (& whether or not he “cheated” by using the phone for help, he cheated by having it there at all- it is very clear about that in the rules)

20 AnonyMousse { 06.19.11 at 11:35 pm }

If anything, scruffnkelsmum, I’d expect the editors to increase Mat’s exposure for the next few weeks if it turns out he did cheat. That way, the part of the audience who hasn’t heard the rumours will be more invested in the fallout when they reach the episode where the whole phone thing is revealed.

21 BenSmith { 06.20.11 at 12:04 am }

Spot on! You’re sooooooo right about Dani! She received some positive feedback from the judges for deep frying prawns at the Mean Fiddler pub challenge and then proceeded to carry on as if she’d turned water into wine!

22 JaniceG { 06.20.11 at 12:11 am }

I have to agree about the editing this year – I really don’t remember in previous seasons knowing exactly who was going to hit the top or bottom because of the screen time they were given. Not only don’t we hear from the other competitors, we don’t even get to see their food! Getting really impatient with the producer’s choices this year.

As for the competition itself, I was sure Peter would be chosen given that (a) his stuff looked just as good as Hayden’s and (b) Hayden already has an “ammunity” pin. But no…

I swear, if it had been me, I’d have tried to swap pots with someone if they had a core ingredient that I wanted and vice versa. It was random stations, after all – not like they deliberately assigned a specific ingredient to someone. In the rush to get equipment, bet no one would have noticed!

(BTW, my husband, who occasionally looks up at the TV while I’m watching MC, says that Danielle tonight looked like the Before in a weight-loss ad featuring Dorothy Gale from The Wizard of Oz :-> )

23 Suzanne { 06.20.11 at 12:30 am }

I haven’t watched this episode so not sure if I missed an explanation, but if Hayden still has his original ‘ammunity’ pin, what’s the point of having another one?

24 Crabtech { 06.20.11 at 12:36 am }

JaniceG exactly the same was happening last season. We were all complaining that we didn’t see the food from all the contestants and that it was easy to pick to cooks and bottom cooks.
How to guess who is going to lose: they will show them in their home. And because there are 4 they will the home of a second contestant.
Never thought I’d say this but bring back the mystery box and the invention test. At least we’ll get some idea who can go the distance.

25 OL { 06.20.11 at 12:36 am }

It would be wonderful to see what Billy, Kumar etc actually cooked for once. I don’t even remember the last time I saw their faces or heard them speak about their dish. They could’ve spent all day humping chair legs for all we know.

26 Crabtech { 06.20.11 at 12:47 am }

Suzanne, he also has immunity from team challenge for this week. So even if he doesn’t get a second pin he’s still a winner. He won’t face elimination this week and he still has the pin. I believe jay was in two immunity challenges.
It’s only fair he gets another chance for pin. After all if he was in the bottom three he would have had to go into the pressure test.
Anyway, what’s with georges mother setting the challenge? Greek food is generally pretty straight forward. Hang on I forgot her weird carrot cake. What was the weird ingredient in it?
I guess the food and wine festival was over when it came for a guest judge so what do all good Greek boys do? They go home to mama, if they’ve even left home that is!!

27 Thomas { 06.20.11 at 1:13 am }

Well Hayden is no dummy. He has a degree in marine biology according to his masterchef page. I’m sure the publisher and the show would love him to win. They could build a franchise around him already.

The showing the top 3/bottom 3 is really annoying. At least show us what those other guys in b/w have cooked!

28 Jess { 06.20.11 at 2:09 am }

Argh. If they’re going to make it so obvious as to who cooked the best/worst dishes, can they at least throw us a few seconds of the other contestants’ dishes? You know, just to see what they look like?
Good to see the judges not pretending to know about Korean food, like they did with Poh’s Malaysian theme challenge, though. On the other hand, nobody really cooked Korean food, and they all got away with it. It was nice of David Chang to let that slide.

29 Jojo { 06.20.11 at 2:25 am }

I hope it’s not Adam – he’s in the Top 14 yet we still seem to have only seen a little bit of him!

I was really hoping that Dani would be in the bottom 3.

30 littlepetal { 06.20.11 at 6:52 am }

If you have a challenge where a pastry chef has to cook a roast pork against a contestant, who do you think will win?

31 AnonyMousse { 06.20.11 at 7:20 am }

littlepetal – Well, the chef who hadn’t cooked pastry since college and the chef who’d never heard of the dish before both managed to win, so it’s not really a sure bet at all. Depends on the skills of the chef (and on how many stuffups the masterchef contestant makes).

32 JaniceG { 06.20.11 at 7:54 am }

@Crabtech: They do the whole “homey scenes” thing in elimination challenges when you know one of the (2|4|team) people are going home but I don’t recall them doing that so much in the mystery box challenges. Maybe I’ve got a nostalgic haze around last year’s season compared to this one but I seem to recall seeing more of the other contestants, especially when it was at the halfway point. I don’t remember absolutely knowing for sure every time which contestants were going to be at either pointy end.

33 librarygirl { 06.20.11 at 8:33 am }

Crabtech – olives in the carrot cake.
I wonder if Danielle has family dramas and has to leave. Wasn’t she helping out her parents’ business because her Dad had been very ill?
Maybe before they name someone to eliminate she puts her hand up.

34 librarygirl { 06.20.11 at 8:35 am }

Also – love Hayden. He can cook and seems humble.
Bet they’ve started planning his cookbook.

35 Amy { 06.20.11 at 8:40 am }

The pew pew noise drove me insane! I thought George must’ve been over in the “restaurant” playing space invaders!

I’m so annoyed that they still spend half the episode recapping what we’ve just seen when they don’t show everyone’s dishes. Even a shot of the dish and the contestant VOing what they cooked would be better than nothing!

36 Culinary Boner { 06.20.11 at 9:14 am }

Odds on Hayden winning this season now.
Can’t wait for his book and spin-off series – “Smurfing the menu”

37 essjayeats { 06.20.11 at 9:53 am }

Darn fine recap Injera – made me snort on public transport (which is verboten you know!).

There’s been a lot of whinging about the abilities of this year’s contenstants to cook, but on the whole, they really haven;’t had much of a chance. The producers have been so focussed on making everything more difficult, or “a surprise”, or “new” they’ve forgotten what they should have learned during Junior Masterchef – we will watch it for the cooking – without the goddamn drama!

And if you get chucked out of the show for breaking the rules … well … there’s a few more incidents that rate investigation IMHO.

38 Paul { 06.20.11 at 10:00 am }

They really need to do something about the recapping.

I can understand it in Season 1 as it was a new show and everyone was getting used to the concept however by now anyone who is watching Season 3 would 99 times out of 100 have seen Seasons 1 & 2.

Its just not necassary anymore, there is no value add and as others have pointed out it, the 5-10 minutes spent on recapping per episode can easily be filled in by giving some of the other contestants screen time.

As for the episode – people may be too hard on Dani.
Maybe she had never heard of a Mo’s burger before. I certainly hadn’t.

Hayden is really surprising everyone. Constantly serving up quality dishes. Am getting a bit worried about Michael. Seems to get a bit flustered when the pressure is on. Maybe the Masterchef pressure cooker is getting too him. They would have been in the house for 3-4 months by now most probably. I reckon you might see some cracks showing about now.

39 essjayeats { 06.20.11 at 10:02 am }

[blah! where did the rest of that comment go? ...]

I’d like to see some cooking challenges, without switcheroos or chinese whispers or the opportunity to “put Hayden on sales/FOH cause he’s really good at that” (Anyone else feel like the other contestants are finding ways to keep Hayden out of the kitchen in the hope that he fails inadvertently?).

I think they’ve run out of celebraty chefs now – I think it’s time to reasses my viewing habits.

So disappointed in this season.

40 essjayeats { 06.20.11 at 10:04 am }

oh an yeh – (I’ll shut up in a sec!)

Mos Burger – FFS really? so NEW! so Singapore 15 years ago and Japan earlier than that.

Glad you called them out on that one ….

41 Izobel2 { 06.20.11 at 10:14 am }

Agree with you Library Girl. We reckon Danielle stands up and says something about having to go back to the family business and votes herself out before the judges get the chance to.
Nice re-cap Injera! Enough with showing the guys walk up with their plates. That in itself wastes precious time that they could show the other dishes.

42 Anonymous { 06.20.11 at 10:14 am }

Dani’s rice burger makes you wonder if there is not more than one Smartphone in the house.

43 auds { 06.20.11 at 10:16 am }

I too am disappointed they didnt at least show what the others had cooked. I am starting to have Kumar withdrawals!!

Even a short glimpse of their finished dishes would be good. Come on producers, pull your naffing socks up!!!!

44 AnnyB { 06.20.11 at 10:42 am }

Oops, #42 should be AnnyB.

45 Fides { 06.20.11 at 11:00 am }

I highly doubt we’re going to see all contestants dishes until final week. Remember last year and the 7 deadly sins challenge – they couldn’t even show us 7 dishes! Adam’s wrath dish was omitted and it ends up it was one of the best dishes he’d cooked in the competition. From memory, even he was disappointed that the tasting was not shown. The focus was on Jono and some pink mousse or something which did not set. In S1, we definitely got to see all dishes/tastings at this stage of the comp, even if it was only one judge making a one word comment.

Hayden dreams of combining travel and food, probably into some TV show, but I find his hosting/presenting skills quite lacking. He does a behind the scenes video of the MC bench on the MC website and while it’s interesting to find out about the bench, Hayden’s monotone is grating! Sounds like he’s giving a lecture. So I reckon he should add his marine biology qualifications there too – he could find some exotic aquatic creature, give us a science lesson, then cook it. Grilled sting ray? Roast penguin?

46 littlepetal { 06.20.11 at 11:44 am }

Yes, Fides. Adam Angry Bird or Chicken was a Korean dish and I cooked it last week. Really really tasty and delicious. Adam also mentioned that Gary asked for the recipe and yet not shown on MC

47 NT Kate { 06.20.11 at 11:59 am }

From Hayden’s onscreen comments Chang gave them some information on the ingredients/Korean cooking. Do wish they showed us that so we could actually learn something about the food instead of Gary’s gasps of disbelief (but hey, that would have undermined the staged shots of them struggling over what a lotus root was…)!

That said, Hayden’s dishes looked pretty authentic from what little we were shown of them (I assume they edited out any film of him actually making them in order to highlight Chang’s surprise at the tasting…). And he has obviously done his homework on cooking styles (though actually pretty hard to avoid Korean food in Australia, since much of what is served up as Japanese is actually Korean – which of those fast food bento box places doesn’t offer Kim Chee etc??!)

And yes totally agree on the excessive repetition, lack of even a glimpse of what the middle of the pack produced, and silly games with ingredients presumably intended to save the judges from boredom(although I have to say, Mackerel, how hard is that really! Pretty much the most ubiquitious relatively inexpensive fish going…).

48 kingfisher { 06.20.11 at 12:04 pm }

as soon as the show started we knew who was going to be top or bottom . after 5 minutes we also knew we won’t be seeing kumar,craig,sun,billy and kate’s meal ,so we had no idea if they where crappy or average . i like dani but top three for a friggin rice bun hamburger ,what the!! everyone else put up a better well design meal and she puts up a rice hamburger , am i missing something here ! i have feeling michael is gonna take a dive tonight and leave ,he looks so under pressure, his facial expressions in the last few elimination are taking a toll on him , you could see from the start last night that he had already lost . lets look on the postives at least we did not have to listen to sun comments or watch kumar in a team challenge ( hopeless team man,so slow ). c’mon michael lift ya game son!!!!

49 Ruby { 06.20.11 at 12:30 pm }

Hypothetical: If Hayden wins another immunity pin and cruises right on until the final two.. and still has an immunity pin, will he be declared the winner without a cook off?

And yes, the fact that not all contestants dishes are shown and the focus on those who are clearly going to be either top 3 or bottom 3… is driving us to yell curses at the telly.

50 Injera { 06.20.11 at 12:35 pm }

MASSIVE spoiler on Matt Preston’s FB page.

Or is it?

I just don’t know any more… Thanks @essjayeats for the tip – visit at your own risk.

51 Kugelhopf { 06.20.11 at 12:38 pm }

@Ruby — Nobody can use their immunity pin (s) in the last week. If Hayden gets to the final two and hasn’t used any of his pins then the pins are useless

52 Culinary Boner { 06.20.11 at 12:51 pm }

Agree with NT Kate on the making of a mountain out of a molehill about having to cook mackerel – a fish ubquitous to most cuisines. As an oily, stronger flavoured fish (that is also pickled into rollmops, though these are more commonly herrings) it can be bbq’d, sauteed, fried, smoked and pickled. Steaming? Well you’d normally do this for drier, milder flavoured white fish to keep the more delicate flavour and texture at its best. One of the joys of the Sydney fish markets – which shall now always remain an undeveloped shithole, courtesy of its short sighted, privatise-the-profits- socialise-the-expenses retail owners – is watching people fork out up to $42/kg for flathead fillets while you can pay about $6-8/kg for perfect-to-bbq slimy mackerel. I presume the average MCA contestant has been similarly forking out big bucks for popular, high-demand fish, rather than learning to cook other varieties. I reckon a good challenge would be to put the contestants to the Curtis Stone $10 challenge for a family of 4 (2 Matts, 1 George and 1 Gary) at the Fish Markets. Though this time with the only ‘free’ ingredients being salt, pepper and a basic cooking oil. Oh, and no bloody Campbells ‘Real’ Stock.

53 Fides { 06.20.11 at 12:56 pm }

Ooh littlepetal – I’ve always had my eye on cooking Angry Bird but I know my insides can’t handle that much chilli. I’ll have oesphagitis for a week.. Did you use the proper Korean chilli bean paste? I think it was quite insulting last year, that to their eventual winner, that they didn’t show Gary asking for the recipe.

Hayden lives in Dee Why -I work there. Dee Why actually has quite a few Asian grocers (at least 6) and two of them are exclusively Korean. There’s a few Japanese places which are run by Koreans too so I wonder if he did try visiting those supermarkets to broaden his food knowledge.

Michael now looks like the sad labrador puppy from the Sorbent ad when it can’t get to the toilet paper.

And RR, can you start a spoiler thread like we had last year? Just so those of us who like these things can speculate to our hearts content?

54 marketeer { 06.20.11 at 12:59 pm }

MC is not about providing instruction in the kitchen (love the clangers tho!) and the US-style recap after each ad break is annoying as all hell. It’s about building a product – the creation of a new Masterchef Brand -complete with glossy book -FOR SALE at a supermarket near YOU (and that includes at Woollies, the competitor of the major sponsor.) Look at each contestant and imagine how a brand could be created around each of them.

Hayden has the Aussie sun sand and surf cachet, very marketable indeed . . . others less so. Not showing Kumar or Sun’s dishes kind of tells me they’re not wasting TV space on a non-contender for the final title. Yes indeed, the Hayden brand conjures up add-ons like Masterchef beach towels, thongs, maybe sarongs with his mop top and grin peeking cheekily through the fuschias . . .

55 akris { 06.20.11 at 1:07 pm }

@AnonyMousse: Of course it was Dani that said the Hayden Comment.. isn’t she only person allowed to talk now…. unless you’re bottom or top 3 of course.. but even then Dani commentary must take up 90% of the show.

Totally agree with everyone.. they’re probably going to get the winner of Junior Masterchef to go up against Hayden and and give them a 10 minute penalty on a 15 minute dish. Why don’t they just give him the title so they can finish the season already… They probably already do have his cookbook ready for distribution.. just to point out.. i have nothing against Hayden.. he does seem like a nice guy but his immunity win was BS compared to all the other immunity challenges other had to go through.

56 Paul { 06.20.11 at 1:09 pm }

@marketeer
God not this crap again.

The money generated from books and associated products is about 1 weeks worth of ads.

Sure, its nice to sell some product but the real money is in the ads and spinning off the franchise rights overseas.

Hows that brand around Adam going BTW?

57 Thomas { 06.20.11 at 1:39 pm }

Come on now you could build a brand around Kumar.. Matt would be harder. Kimchi for Goths? Maybe that’s why the studio has managed to get him phased out after the smartphone thing..

58 Maz { 06.20.11 at 1:51 pm }

@Thomas-think Goth Mat would be easier to build a brand around-the ‘impoverished uni student’.

59 Culinary Boner { 06.20.11 at 1:54 pm }

I think Matt the Goth would have been too ‘niche’ to market plus the following clear concept winner has already been taken:-

60 Kugelhopf { 06.20.11 at 1:58 pm }

@ Injera that “spoiler” on Matt Preston’s page has been taken down — either he was hacked or he made a big time boo-boo!

61 brain dead dave { 06.20.11 at 2:01 pm }

George’s momma will be on tonight. George might go the breast feed.

Danielle’s crying tonight,as Saints Deano pointed out above. “Everyone will be stunned” says the promo. Yawn…

These wannabes are prepared to whatever it takes to follow their food dream – unless it’s an apprenticeship.

I’m stunned at the appallingly low depths this “competition” is sinking to this season. Big fail for Matt Pre$ton and the chunderous green cravat he was packing last night, too.

62 Pollywaffle { 06.20.11 at 2:21 pm }

The winner is the least important brand within Masterchef. The show has deteriorated into a vehicle for boosting the brands of hosts and their ventures, guest chefs and their eateries, Coles and other advertisers.
More time this year was spent on negotiating the contracts of the hosts than in selecting the best contestants. The reduced screentime of Matt P defintelyreflects some of his unmet demands.

The contestants and the ‘competition’ are just thinly veiled reasons to serve up a heap of indulgent promotion on everyone else’s behalf.

Does Channel 10 actually care who wins when they’ve made a packet out of the show anyway? But I do hear they’ve got a remake of 2 fat ladies in the works with ejected contestants.

63 Pollywaffle { 06.20.11 at 2:24 pm }

BDD – will Danielle find out tonight she is George’s long lost sister Agapi given up at birth due to the olive drought?

64 SPOILER: Matt Preston Puts Spoiler On His Facebook Page | reality ravings { 06.20.11 at 2:30 pm }

[...] Tonight confirms Hayden does win another pin. Injera in her recap of the Chang episode may be right, Hayden does go head to head with the work experience kid from the work [...]

65 JaniceG { 06.20.11 at 2:31 pm }

It might be gone from FB now but Matt P also had the spoiler on his Twitter feed, which annoyed me a bit — I guess he just loses track of what’s been seen by everyone else already. Luckily, I don’t care that much about watching immunity challenges (except that I thought Peter should have been in this one!)

66 Paul { 06.20.11 at 2:34 pm }

Please, please, please no spoilers on this thread.

67 Injera { 06.20.11 at 2:35 pm }

@Kugelhopf Yes, I went back to screen grab it but it was taken down. Not before a lot of people had seen and commented, though!

@JaniceG – I didn’t see the tweet. I don’t care so much either, but it’s a fairly capricious attitude to take towards the audience. I didn’t think the immunity challenge was held until tomorrow, so he’s WAY out… Perhaps judges should be subject to the same social media restrictions as contestants ;-)

68 Culinary Boner { 06.20.11 at 2:56 pm }

An explanation for Matt the Fat’s poor memory on where he’s posted spoilers – http://www.healthtalkandyou.com/low-fat-diet-lessens-development-of-alzheimers ?

69 Paul { 06.20.11 at 3:03 pm }

BTW, Pollywaffle is exactly right.

Whoever wins is irrelevant. The money has already been made.

70 Kugelhopf { 06.20.11 at 3:14 pm }

Matt on his FB page:” Hi again, I removed the post because some people thought this was a Spoiler. I can you assure it wasn’t. I was only referring to his immunity from being eliminated this week”.
Makes sense…maybe…

71 brain dead dave { 06.20.11 at 3:22 pm }

Poor Matt Pre$ton, having to tear himself away from his umpteenth bone marrow risotto of the day to make that reassuring statement.

Pollywaffle ,we’ll see a Greek tragedy tonight for sure.

72 gabs38 { 06.20.11 at 3:27 pm }

Taiwan McDonalds had rice burgers when I was there about 3 years ago – nothing inventive there.

73 littlepetal { 06.20.11 at 3:53 pm }

@Fides. LOL when I first learn how to cook Korean food. I have to do some googling to learn the different pastes . Print the pictures for the pastes and went to Korean grocery shop to show it to the owner. He then tell me what to buy.

I didn’t add as many fresh chillies in the dish so it was not as hot because hubby can’t take too spicy food.

74 JaniceG { 06.20.11 at 4:23 pm }

@Kugelhopf: Nice try by Matt to CYA but there was no ambiguity in what he posted – it was a definite spoiler. At least it was for an immunity challenge and not an elimination challenge, which would have been far worse.

75 Peter Chang Its Only { 06.21.11 at 12:16 pm }

[...] Masterchef Australia – David Chang Challenge | reality ravings So it's like – gasp! – a mystery box and an invention test all in one. Like, if you will, an “Invention Box Challenge” Dani laughs uproariously at this, but she is the only person besides Gary who seems to think that this is at all I suspect Peter still might not know who he is. Yes, it's David Chang and he is here to tell us about Korean food, as Preston is convinced none of us know what it is. Well, he's probably right about most of the contestants. [...]

76 Export Report: Checking In on Old Homestead, Balthazar, and Momofuku | GOTHAMER { 08.06.11 at 4:01 am }

[...] Star City Casino, according to a job posting listed earlier this week. (He also recently made an appearance on Australia’s crazy-popular version of [...]

77 Food television - is it over? | ...blah blog blah... { 08.06.11 at 10:13 am }

[...]  My level of frustration is such that I only watch now when Reality Raver asks if I’ll recap1.  Otherwise,   I read her site to keep in touch with how things are going in the Masterchef [...]

78 Export Report: Checking In on Old Homestead, Balthazar, and Momofuku | { 08.07.11 at 10:53 pm }

79 David Chang’s Ramen from Lucky Peach | Cooking from the heart { 09.21.11 at 8:08 pm }

[...] Maybe you’ve heard of charismatic Korean-American chef, David Chang. You might be accused of living under a rock if you haven’t. His much-hyped Momofuku (translation = Lucky Peach) restaurants in New York are notoriously difficult to secure a reservation at. His first restaurant Momofuku Noodle Bar opened in 2003. Chang took exclusivity to new heights in 2008 with Momofuku Ko, a 12-seat 2-Michelin starred eatery with an online-only reservation system that allows bookings only six days in advance. Momofuku Ssam Bar and Momofuku Milk Bar (whose ‘Crack Pie’ is currently being trademarked) opened within the same year. After publishing the Momofuku cookbook in 2009 he established Má Pêche and another two Milk Bar outposts followed. More locally and most recently he appeared in this year’s Masterchef. [...]