Masterchef Australia – Adam Falls On His Sword

Lucky for Ellie, Mrs Calombaris was on the set for this pressure test, so George was much more hands off.

Last year we had Gary Mehigan’s mother on the show, this year George’s, next year will it be Matt Preston’s? Everyone thought it was very lovely that she was there, I would have loved it someone had turned around and said to her “Get your fucking hands out of my pastry”. But no there was just lots of applause and smiles.

Tonight Adam, Michael, Danielle and Ellie were going head to head cooking George’s Mum’s food Greek Cypriot food. They had to cook tzatiki without a recipe and bread, koupes (greek pies), hommous and a dessert which was a deep fried pastry number.

You knew Michael was safe as you barely saw him the whole episode.

Ellie and he both served up fairly good food. The disaster was Danielle her tzatiki was too garlicky, her koupes too oily and her dessert pastry raw.

However Adam did a Mal Meninga and when asked if he wanted to be on the show basically said no. Just like the infamous radio interview at the start of Mal’s political career where he basically quit after being pre-selected for two minutes.

At least Adam was honest, and didn’t Danielle dodge a bullet as they said she would have been the one to go home. Now I know I am being lazy here but I had thought Danielle was Greek, and if so why didn’t she know how to make some of those dishes.

Also in the preview for tomorrow night Hayden goes up against a pastry chef, but it is a savoury dish. The inconsistency on these immunity challenges is unfair. Last week Kate went head to head against a pastry chef with one of his signature dishes. I think it should be all chefs cooking dishes that are not their own.

UPDATE: FairyBreadGirl just put this link from the Courier Mail up where Adam says Masterchef broke up his relationship, as he was only allowed 10 minute phone call a week. He also thought Mat was targeted because he had tatts and wore black.

1 Cecilia { 06.20.11 at 9:22 pm }

Again, if his relationship couldn’t survive being apart for four and a half months when he was doing something meaningful, then he needs to think about how strong it was to begin with…
As for Matt, I think they targeted him because of his questionable hygiene (gross hair aside, he thought it okay to serve RAW BEEF?)…

2 littlepetal { 06.20.11 at 9:35 pm }

How can MC targeted Mat tattoos. They knew he has tatts at the selection process. Gary always seem to dislike Mat. Why pick him then?

3 Jojo { 06.20.11 at 9:38 pm }

I agree Cecilia, it sounds as though perhaps the relationship (and his partner) wasn’t supportive enough and it was probably on shaky ground to begin with.

I’m sad. I’m going for Kate, so I wasn’t too fussed about this elimination but of the four, I liked Adam the most and would have liked Danielle to go.

I’m really annoyed at the inconsistency of the immunity challenges. They’re handing them to a platter for Hayden.

4 Paul { 06.20.11 at 9:54 pm }

Littlepetal,
I think what he’s saying that if it was say Ellie that was caught with a mobile phone, then the show would have gone a little bit easier on her as she would have been looked at as a sympathetic figure both in the mainstream and social media.

With Mat, he looks a little bit different (already seen numerous references on here about how greasy and dirty he looks for example) so therefore the show could really go hard on him knowing they wouldn’t get much heat on the outside. And guess what – they have been proven correct.

And bloody hell people are harsh – Any relationship would struggle if you were limited to short phone calls as the sole form of communication. Seriously put yourselves in the contestants shoes instead of being so judgemental.

I know army wives go through similar but they at least know what they are getting and generally have a good support network. Plus the partner is earning very good money as well.

Good on Adam for doing what he did. Seems like a decent bloke.

5 Jruth { 06.20.11 at 10:00 pm }

Not sure if I can be bothered to watch tomorrow night – no suspense in seeing Hayden win immunity again…

It may just gave been the way tonight’s show was edited, but Danielle didn’t even seem to ask Adam if he was really sure that he wanted to go in order to save her (not even “are you sure?”).

I used to LOVE Masterchef, but am fast becoming sick of the obviousness of top 2 or 3 and bottom 2 or 3 in every challenge, and the annoying habit of showing nothing from those in the middle.

Will I keep watching? Maybe just to see Mat get evicted in a couple of weeks!

6 littlepetal { 06.20.11 at 10:03 pm }

Paul, I did mention somewhere that if Ellie was caught with the phone, she will get off lightly. They do know the public don’t like Mat much and people will be happy for him to be booted or eliminated. But they should give him a chance to defend himself.

7 AnonyMousse { 06.20.11 at 10:04 pm }

I’m surprised more people don’t just say ‘screw it’ and leave – after 4 1/2 months of being crammed in with a bunch of strangers when I had a successful business outside I’d have had enough myself. I really don’t understand the thought process of locking them down so much, so long as you avoid them seeing the bits directly related to the show (as hearing you’re a villain may be a bit offputting). Seriously though, one 10 minute phone call per week? Screw that, I could be the lovechild of Heston B and Nigella, with a certainty of winning and I still wouldn’t walk through those doors with such a restrictive set of rules.

Also, no comments on the Hayden cheesecake shots at the start of the show?

8 seepi { 06.20.11 at 10:42 pm }

He will be kicking himself once they go to New York.

But good on him really. I wonder if he had been asked first if he would have stumped up some guff about how much food is a part of his life etc etc.

Love the Mal Meniga reference – I was listening to that live as it happened – hysterical moment.

9 Thomas { 06.20.11 at 10:47 pm }

I don’t get why they stretch it out so much. Just do it the US way and get it over with quickly? Yah it’s a ratings bonanza but the strain on relationships and keeping a lid on things is just tearing the show apart.

10 JaniceG { 06.20.11 at 11:54 pm }

Dang, and here I was sure Danielle thanks to her disgusting koubes was going to be out the door. Good for Adam, even if his farewell speech did sound a little like Dorothy towards the end of The Wizard of Oz.) Ot would have been nice if Danielle had been more visibly grateful to him.

And seriously, tzatziki and hummous in a MasterChef challenge? I’m no chef and even *I* can make those (and believe me, my hummous is a much better consistency than any of the ones the contestants made).

As for Hayden’s immunity challenge, I agree with others that it’s blatantly obvious that these challenges are weighted towards the person who’s going to be doing them, as Kate’s was nearly impossible to win against a chef cooking his own specialty, and Hayden’s really easy: first against an apprentice and now against a chef outside his own specialty.

I really wish that Masterchef Australia was taking some tips from the no-nonsense setup of the original Masterchef in the UK (all cooking, none of these extended interviews or living in a house together or isolation).

11 davsimp { 06.20.11 at 11:55 pm }

What a bag of horse shit. I Just can’t watch this program any more.

12 akris { 06.21.11 at 12:05 am }

I was going to watch tomorrow just to see if Hayden does get it… but now seeing how obviously inconsistent the immunity challenge is to favour him yet again i don’t even think I want to watch another episode….. Good thing the Block and Amazing Race is on so I can still get a reality fix.

What Adam did feels like the only genuine thing I’ve seen on Masterchef in awhile…. agree with what people have said.. my guess is that the relationship was strained already then exacerbated by the lack of contact… she probably also put doubts in his mind about whether Masterchef was worth risking the relationship … Either I still think what he did was the best thing for him.

13 Fiona { 06.21.11 at 12:13 am }

I think what Adam did was very honourable, but is this really what Masterchef is about now? Does every contestant seriously expected to have a dream of opening a restaurant, and if you don’t then you shouldn’t enter the competion? It is supposed to be a show to find Australia’s best amateur cook, not the Australia’s Next Top Chef/Restauteur. Each week we have to endure each contestant bleating about how food is their life and without cooking they have nothing blah blah blah, so anyone with any sort of outside success and happiness is made to feel like a fraud? They’re taking so much fun out of the process.
Danielle was very lucky and Peter’s comment at the end that she had better not waste her second chance was right on.
PS I had a chuckle at George’s “Greece is the Word!” comment – who makes these things up for him?

14 anonymice { 06.21.11 at 12:20 am }

can someone pleas explain why Sun is STILL in the competition???

15 Thomas { 06.21.11 at 12:24 am }

Well there was that Swedish or nordic chef (bork bork bork) that had to cook Thai a few immunity challenges back.. so it wasn’t a first of a cook being out of his depth.

16 Crabtech { 06.21.11 at 12:25 am }

In the courier mail article http://www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/masterchef-hope-pulls-the-pin/story-fn6ck8la-1226078709639 it says “Mat was kicked off the show after being found with a smartphone during a challenge where cookbooks were banned.”
Does that mean in other challenges they can have cookbooks?
It really is getting ridiculous.

17 Anonymous { 06.21.11 at 12:28 am }

Its atrocious that Hayden gets another easy shot at immunity. what a load of crapola. This show is getting worse and worse.

MC US is shitting all over the Australian MC. Straight forward and no wank.

None of the “what does this mean to you” guff. Its all straight forward and no nonsense (well so far)

I have watched 4 episodes of season 2 (US MC) and loving it.

The yanks seem to be more up front. No sucking up to other contestants and being open about who they like/dislike.

So far I am loving the Trust fund boy – “Richie Rich” and the indian lass who is so far up herself I am surprised she can find the coriander seeds.

Ah yes, entertainment in spades

18 jenz { 06.21.11 at 12:42 am }

Well Anonymous I can’t stand the US MC judges, with Joe and Ramsay competing to be the worst, and their editing is even more gimmicky than the Australian MC editing. Ramsay is just a scowl with a nasty mouth, and Joe dresses like he’s going to the renaissance fair. I do prefer the kinder, gentler Australian MC judges, but yes I would wish for a show that’s MUCH TIGHTER and shorter. I want to watch the contestants.. not live with them!

19 Oshada { 06.21.11 at 1:04 am }

I thought Peter’s comments today were good.

Season 2 was better in many ways than Series 1, but sadly Season 3 has regressed; the big guns have been brought out too early, not enough cooking or coverage of contestants, overblown melodrama, inconsistent challenges and procedures (two people picked one week from the team challenge, and the whole team another? Wildly varying immunity challenges?) and numerous, insufferable recaps. I’m genuinely sad that the producers have messed up this badly.

20 SaintsDeano { 06.21.11 at 6:27 am }

“Saving Private Ryan moment”. Danielle better lead a good life in the Masterchef kitchen. Adam took the bullet and saved Danielle.. Danielle’s body language suggested she didn’t give a rats ass about Adam. Which is ok. This is a competition.

21 librarygirl { 06.21.11 at 7:32 am }

AnonyMousse : I certainly noticed Hayden sitting up in bed topless. Wonder if the camera man got him to pull his shirt off?
He did look pretty cute.

22 David Allen { 06.21.11 at 7:38 am }

Next week Hayden will battle for his third immunity pin against a horse.

23 Thomas { 06.21.11 at 9:23 am }

Won’t Craig the musician be the next one to have a ‘you know.. cooking isn’t for me’ moment?

24 Culinary Boner { 06.21.11 at 10:15 am }

*inside Adam’s head at night*
our hero’s dreaming with head under the pillow he’s used to block out a symphony of snoring (we’re looking at you Danielle, Raechel, Shannon and Craig)……
….. Nemo, Nemo come baaaaack…caught in east Australian current… everything blurs….*argh*… three grotesque male faces appear mouthing ‘bubble, bubble, boil and trouble’…*argh*…stuck in kitchen, 24-7…dodging cliches…the alaments don’t add up…hot, too hot…tired…back hurts, always…burnt hand, again…sliced off finger-tip, need new hands…*argh*…no, please no…it’s Sataaaaan…oh, Zumbo…volcano spews molten sugar… Bangladeshi dishwasher glowers at me, again… everything blurs…fuck no, a troll dressed 70’s style… is that a cravat? this isn’t a Two Ronnies sketch, is it? …jowls move, “Adam, you’re the winner of Masterchef for 2011, tell us about your food inspiration. In case you were wondering ours was our mums.” …blur…fastforward… it’s Kerri-Anne… oh, I’m on tele…note to self, must get name of her plastic surgeon… “Adam’s here today to share some of his MasterChef secrets and his new range of readymix savoury pavlovas.”… here we go again… “Thanks Kerri-Anne, today I’m going to show our audience the secrets to making the perfect Waygu Pav…” *wakes up screaming* “I can’t do this! Ocean, need to cleanse myself in the ocean.”

25 RarelySeen { 06.21.11 at 10:31 am }

Culinary Boner you should have your own show. I love Adam’s dream. Nice reference to Saving Private Ryan Saints Deano, I salute you both.
Sorry that 1950’s Danielle hasn’t gone home yet to her Hills Hoist & Fridgedaire humming away in the sparsely laminated kitchen, with the obligatory roller-derby poster lurking nearby.
It’s downright mean of Gary to ask such a silly question of Adam, it’s like they open the door for him to walk out.
When’s the camping improvisation challenge ?

26 Fides { 06.21.11 at 10:54 am }

Oshada – I totally agree. You’ve said it perfectly – I only shudder to think what Season 4 might be like. Too much hyperbole last year, that the only way was down for this one.

Fiona – totally agree too! If all it takes is determination and passion, which is basically what Danielle and Dani said are the requisites now, then Carrie would have won last year and Andrew and Shannon would be final two (Jay a close third). Remember Carrie’s constant “I want to be here so bad/ I want this so so much” comments. When Adam said that the person who cooked the worst dish would be going home, my first thought was yay, maybe one walks and they chuck another out for being incompetent.

Good on Adam; I was disappointed as I thought he was a dark horse, but the idea he came on the show and realised he loved the life he has already is more inspirational than all these wannabes who hate their lives and need this show to fix their souls.

His diving business looks pretty successful too.

27 brain dead dave { 06.21.11 at 11:55 am }

No wonder we’ve seen so little of Adam…he’s shown far too many genuine qualities to be on this unspeakably bad,doomed show.

The shark says “jump’ and Fremantle Media say “how high”?

They can shove the Goldilocks grovel tonight.

28 johngalt { 06.21.11 at 12:00 pm }

Funny how the US version of MC has an english guy doing a show based on the OZ version of a show that started in the UK(did i get that right?) you would think with the amount of flamboyant peacocks we produce there would be a Matt Preston like character on the show. (and go Richie Rich)(a fellow NYer)

29 brain dead dave { 06.21.11 at 12:04 pm }

Matt Preston is now putting so much grease in his hair he’s starting to look like jumpsuit era Elvis,with appetite to match.

30 JB { 06.21.11 at 12:22 pm }

The whole house thing is a joke – this isnt big brother – I would imagine that less than 1% of Australia’s potentially best “amatcha” chefs would be willing or able to live in such conditions.
Am only watching for good masterclasses now, the whole bias in the immunity challenges toward golden boy is ridiculous. Even though the mrs is a major foodie and was looking forward to this series, we have now taken to watching the DVDs of HIMYM on weeknights and are much more entertained!
Anyone know how the ratings are going?

31 kingfisher { 06.21.11 at 12:35 pm }

tonight we get a high pastry chef cooking a pork dish ? a surfer dude also cooking a roast dish ,me thinks there is some hi jinks a going on here !!i just can’t work this out , other amatas cooks who are having a go at the immunity pin ,go up against a top notch chef who is cooking his own meal and the amata hasn’t got a chance , the producers make the point spread close but come on we all know which is better don’t we ! so old cutiespie hayden gets (again with that goofie smile ) a easy ride . also i have to put up with danielle”s big head on my 55” screen for another bloody week ,it’s like watching a godzilla movie when she’s yabbing on . a least michael’s through , i was close about someone falling on there sword , i thought it would be mike , you could tell he was safe before the judges tastings as he looked much happier when commenting during the show , so predictable .c’mon the pastry chef !!!!

32 brain dead dave { 06.21.11 at 12:40 pm }

Only difference between Danielle and Godzilla is that Godzilla doesn’t need a shave.

Doctors have just identified a food that can cause grief and
suffering years after it’s been eaten. It’s called a wedding cake.

33 kingfisher { 06.21.11 at 12:48 pm }

bdd , just one cake ?

34 JaniceG { 06.21.11 at 1:02 pm }
35 sourkraut { 06.21.11 at 1:23 pm }

Back from the wilds of swizzleland and der farterland where I enjoyed the culinary delights. More than i can sy for this program. Thrree weeks away and nothing has changed. The best amacha oz chefs cant even prepare a hommous or a tatziki (hope i spelled that correctly), although the other two substances looked a bit more difficult. Was pleased to see other than french and italian food being prepared for a change. dunno what the last 3 weeks have served up and cant even be bothered reading the write-ups. Anyhoo back to bizness as usual. The same old en- blubberances and the same old supenders sorry suspense, drama, action and still NO APPARENT VILLAIN. what a boring bland bunch! And the same old dumb questions by G & G. Do you really want to be here etc. What a set-up and we are supposed to believe that the result tonite was impromptu. Pull the bother one, it jingles! Total waste of time

36 Jasmin { 06.21.11 at 1:50 pm }

At least George is consistent with his pronunciation. Not only does he love a good ‘alament’ but Ellie is regularly referred to as ‘Allie’.

37 Angei { 06.21.11 at 2:52 pm }

Shame to see Adam go. Seemed like a decent man & good on for leaving – having a successful business why start in a new industry at the bottom? He can fill my scuba tank any time! As for Danielle, a close call – personally, I don’t mind Danielle – its Sun and Danni who irritate me.

38 JaniceG { 06.21.11 at 5:02 pm }

I loved one of the phrases in the recap of this episode at The Age (http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/masterchef-recap-its-all-greek-to-them-20110620-1gc62.html): “Prestonius Maximus” :->

39 davsimp { 06.21.11 at 7:01 pm }

Yeh very noble Adam we get it!! But where were you when Jay got the arse?? Ya could’ve saved him or even Cleo instead of Danielle ya selfish mo fo!!