The Block – Episode One – Only Attractive People Allowed?
Is it obligatory to be blonde and photogenic to be cast on The Block this year? In episode one the majority of the girls we meet are blonde, slim and good looking. Hopefully they will have personalities as well as I can only look at a pretty face for so long. OK Commando’s six pack is an exception to this rule.
Katrina from Wagga, sister reveals Katrina has a little bit of a crush on Scott Cam, she deserves to be instantly eliminated for that character flaw.
The Block starts off with a different format this year.
Each night this week the two teams will be going head to head in a 24 hour challenge with one team being eliminated each night. The plus side of this, it adds a certain energy to the show for the first week. But the down side of this is two strong teams could go head to head, and one would be eliminated, and conversely two not so great teams could be in a battle and only one team goes.
The challenge was in a warehouse, where eight rooms have been built. The teams had to pick a room to showcase their design skills. The only thing they had to put in it was a black table that was in a box left in the room.
By the way is this series sponsored by Ikea or Freedom or both. I spotted the Freedom bags, but both teams were in the IKEA store.
Tonight we had Jenna and Josh from Vic against Aaron and Shannon from WA. Both the guys are tradies, Josh is a plumber, and Aaron is a landscape gardener.
Jenna and Josh who are a very cute couple did a lounge room, and the Aaron and Shannon decided to do a bedroom.
They had $5000 to spend.
They had 24 hours to paint and put down flooring as well as shop and design. They did also appear to sleep.
Some of the dramas that occurred:
- Shannon decided to paint the bedroom black, which I thought was very similar to Shazza’s design from last year;
- Aaron also left paint for the skirting boards at the Mitre 10 but they managed to pick it up just before opening time;
- Shannon strategy was to spend 4 hours shopping and not make a single purchase, while Aaron painted;
- Conversely Jenna and Josh did the painting of the room before getting furniture;
- Jenna had a trip to Ikea where she did not buy anything, but I would love to know where that store was as it had very few customers in it. The Rhodes store in Sydney is a mosh pit;
- I also had to admire Jenna’s nerve with going out on another shopping trip just 15 minutes before the end of the challenge;
- Clearly also The Block has some pulling factor to get things delivered. Josh had spotted a vintage lounge and side board online and he managed to get it delivered ASAP;
- Also Aaron and Shannon could not finish all their IKEA flat packs (those things can be a huge time suck) so a chest of drawers was left out of their bedrooms, this may have been a positive thing as the room could have been pretty squishy otherwise.
The judges liked the 60’s vintage of Jenna and Josh and put them through. Aaron and Shannon were eliminated.
Did you think the right team got through?