The Block – Episode One – Only Attractive People Allowed?

Is it obligatory to be blonde and photogenic to be cast on The Block this year? In episode one the majority of the girls we meet are blonde, slim and good looking. Hopefully they will have personalities as well as I can only look at a pretty face for so long. OK Commando’s six pack is an exception to this rule.

Katrina from Wagga, sister reveals Katrina has a little bit of a crush on Scott Cam, she deserves to be instantly eliminated for that character flaw.

The Block starts off with a different format this year.

Each night this week the two teams will be going head to head in a 24 hour challenge with one team being eliminated each night. The plus side of this, it adds a certain energy to the show for the first week. But the down side of this is two strong teams could go head to head, and one would be eliminated, and conversely two not so great teams could be in a battle and only one team goes.

The challenge was in a warehouse, where eight rooms have  been built. The teams had to pick a room to showcase their design skills. The only thing they had to put in it was a black table that was in a box left in the room.

By the way is this series sponsored by Ikea or Freedom or both. I spotted the Freedom bags, but both teams were in the IKEA store.

Tonight we had Jenna and Josh from Vic against Aaron and Shannon from WA. Both the guys are tradies, Josh is a plumber, and Aaron is a landscape gardener.

Jenna and Josh who are a very cute couple did a lounge room, and the Aaron and Shannon decided to do a bedroom.

They had $5000 to spend.

They had 24 hours to paint and put down flooring as well as shop and design. They did also appear to sleep.

Some of the dramas that occurred:

• Shannon decided to paint the bedroom black, which I thought was very similar to Shazza’s design from last year;
  • Aaron also left paint for the skirting boards at the Mitre 10 but they managed to pick it up just before opening time;
  • Shannon strategy was to spend 4 hours shopping and not make a single purchase, while Aaron painted;
  • Conversely Jenna and Josh did the painting of the room before getting furniture;
  • Jenna had a trip to Ikea where she did not buy anything, but I would love to know where that store was as it had very few customers in it. The Rhodes store in Sydney is a mosh pit;
  • I also had to admire Jenna’s nerve with going out on another shopping trip just 15 minutes before the end of the challenge;
  • Clearly also The Block has some pulling factor to get things delivered. Josh had spotted a vintage lounge and side board online and he managed to get it delivered ASAP;
  • Also Aaron and Shannon could not finish all their IKEA flat packs (those things can be a huge time suck) so a chest of drawers was left out of their bedrooms, this may have been a positive thing as the room could have been pretty squishy otherwise.

The judges liked the 60’s vintage of Jenna and Josh and put them through. Aaron and Shannon were eliminated.

Did you think the right team got through?

1 Lea { 06.20.11 at 8:28 pm }

I think a lot of girls have a bit of a thing for Scott Cam, what’s so wrong with that?

I didn’t find the blue room vertical enough – the walls weren’t utilised and everything was on one level. So no, I would have voted the luxe of the black room, it was gorgeous.

2 scruffnkelsmum { 06.20.11 at 9:28 pm }

my daughter and I both loved the black room, however it was possibly a bit more generic in design- at least for the “experts”. Obviously they are into stuff that looks like you furnished the whole room from vinnies. I did like the lounge and the cushions and wall art, but not the rest- nor did my daughter. Jenna looks a bit like “shazza” from last year-hopefully nicer,lol…

thus far I like the new format- altho I think there is an over-representation of Vic couples!!! I do agree that possibly a strong couple could be lost and a weaker one get thru, depending on the pairing up for this part of the comp- would love to know who and how that was organised!!!

also, GPS is nowhere near as good as local knowledge, so anyone familiar with Melbourne/traffic will have a huge advantage!

3 Anonymous { 06.20.11 at 9:32 pm }

anyone know where Shannon got the chair for their black bedroom?

4 scruffnkelsmum { 06.20.11 at 9:50 pm }

I am guessing Freedom or Ikea??? lol

5 skye { 06.20.11 at 9:59 pm }

I do get the whole mid century modern thing, but honestly that winning room looked like the TV room in a juvenile justice facility. Awful!

Whole show was pretty boring, and the casting tonight was dull as dishwater.

6 seepi { 06.20.11 at 10:39 pm }

The right team won for sure. The couple who won were much livlier and gutsier.

The black room looked a bit tacky for mine. I did like the round rug, round mirror and round light.

Scott Cam is looking a bit round too – the blousson flanny is not a good look. I was hoping they might go with someone else this time around. Scott is a nice guy and good straight man to someone else.

7 scruffnkelsmum { 06.20.11 at 10:46 pm }

it’s supposed to be the room that wins, not the cuter couple! seriously- you found the brm tacky??? I thought it was quite elegant. my daughter- pre-school teacher, said the other room looked like something for her kids at school- & picked by them too!!! :):)

8 seepi { 06.20.11 at 10:51 pm }

I liked the lounge room. I loved the lounge and sideboard – those were elegant I thought. I wasn’t so hot on the art, but I loved the cushions.

I thought the room had heaps more personality, and it is much harder to do that sort of non-formula decorating in a hurry.

The bedroom was stylish, but very chocolate box. If they had chosen deep purple walls and the same furniture in orang or red I would have liked it. Shiny black and white leather furniture is a bit try-hard.

9 par3182 { 06.20.11 at 11:02 pm }

The Ikea store is in Richmond and must’ve been closed for the shopping trip; usually the aisles are full of slow walking couples.

Both teams seemed quite likeable but I wish the judges would’ve explained why the winning room had the edge.

That’s a long trip back to WA for the losers.

10 AngelSN86 { 06.21.11 at 9:18 am }

The visit to Ikea was apparently really late at night, like right before closing time, I thought. That could explain why it was quieter.

And the chair in the bedroom came from the same furniture store as the bed. Pretty sure it wasn’t Freedom or Ikea, they did show the name on the door as she went in but I can’t remember what it was.

I didn’t really like either of the rooms. The black walls were a bit much but the vintage didn’t really win me over either. I only half-watched this episode so might watch more closely tonight. Looks like there are some fireworks ahead for the couple that went through tonight, judging by the previews they showed for the rest of the season. But they probably picked all the bad moments to show. The tradie cracking it was funny though, ‘You are unmanageable and I’m not working with you anymore’.

11 Maz { 06.21.11 at 9:26 am }

Preferred the lounge room over the bedroom. A black and white bedroom seems to be compulsory on these shows.

Agree that there is the risk that putting two strong couples against each other runs the risk that an inferior couple get through. Perhaps they should have done all eight rooms first then judge.

@scruffnkelsmum-you must have a pretty good Vinnies in your area to get furniture of that (apparent) quality.

12 Miss Piggy (MelbaToast) { 06.21.11 at 9:58 am }

I only watched half of this episode – Masterchef trumps The Block…bit silly re the timeslot on Channel 9 behalfs. From what I saw I thougth it was fairly boring…I’d prefer four couples straight up just getting in to the renos…this new format seems like a way to draw out the agony.

13 AJ { 06.21.11 at 1:33 pm }

I liked the lounge room, but I thought the bedroom had a better overall “design” (even though the chest of drawers wasn’t completed). The lounge room looked too “cobbled together” and none of the furniture really seemed to match (black side table, dark brown cabinet, light pine bench, grey floors, etc). I also thought the lack of curtains/blinds was a bit odd (and I could have sworn one of their first stops was to get a blind).

I would like to see teams given the opportunity (perhaps through some kind of competition) to use all the furniture, accessories, etc which is being purchased for the initial challenges. It seems to be a bit of a waste of money. It would have been good if they’d selected “viewers” rooms to be given a make-over (some kind of combinating “Changing Rooms/The Block”) instead of having the participants spend $5,000.00 to decorate a “room” that is going to be knocked down.

14 par3182 { 06.21.11 at 2:07 pm }

“anyone know where Shannon got the chair for their black bedroom?”

Suppliers are listed on The Block website. Chair was from –

singways.com.au

15 Wurstsemmel { 06.21.11 at 2:09 pm }

I had the same thought as you, RR. Was this show really Beauty and the Beast (Scottie)? Still, we were spared Shelley last night.

I didn’t think much of either room. Hated the black walls, loved the wall colour in the lounge. Thought the lounge couple thought a little more outside the square in using vintage furniture but it did look a little uncoordinated. Probably needed more time. Black room kind of cliched. Seen it before on the Block.

16 Lea { 06.21.11 at 2:28 pm }

Although the mid-century modern is very ín’ atm.. it seems to be everywhere, and it’s not always good. Agree with par3182 that it would have been nice to know what tipped the winner over, or the losing couple under…

Also agree with AJ – I hope they then have to reuse the furniture in the houses or something. I was kinda hoping for the format of having two couples in each house, living together, fighting etc, having to compromise etc, and then, having one lot kicked out from there. Found the warehouse pre-fab format a bit boring.

My friend is on Thursday night apparently! Tres exciting!
Don’t know if she goes through, but i’m thinking ÿes”..